RBY OU Jolteon (QC: 0/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jolteon

QC: * / *

GP: * / *

[OVERVIEW]

Jolteon's blistering Speed combined with Thunder Wave makes Jolteon a potent lead. Jolteon is capable of beating opposing leads such as Jynx and Exeggutor because of this combined with its coverage. Jolteon is also a strong alternative to Rhydon and Golem for offensive teams that need to check Zapdos. Despite being a lead, Jolteon can also potentially finish the game off as a late-game cleaner due to its higher chances of nailing critical hits and its constant barrage of Thunderbolts. However, Jolteon is walled by Rhydon and Golem and over relies on Double Kick to lure them in. The issues start becoming prevalent here as Jolteon has to rely on its poor Attack stat with its coverage in order to do any damage to its common switch-ins. Furthermore, Jolteon fragility prevents it from switching in on much and will often force it to rely on doubles. Finally, Jolteon despises getting paralyzed as it puts a damper on its blazing speed that lets it outpace other offensive Pokémon like Tauros, Starmie, and Alakazam.

[SET]
name: Special Sweeper
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Thunder Wave
move 3: Double Kick
move 4: Pin Missile / Rest

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Double Kick is used to lure in Rhydon and Golem in order to deal some sort of damage to them. Pin Missile's main use is to be coverage against Exeggutor and while it deals super effective damage to other Psychic-types, Thunderbolt does more. Rest is a different option to shrug off Paralysis if need be or to recover health in order to conserve it for the late-game, but this leaves you walled by Exeggutor. Jolteon should preferably be used in the lead slot as it will often guarantee a paralysis at the start of the game and can win matchups against opposing leads such as Jynx and Exeggutor. Jolteon often requires aggressive plays in order to make the most out of it so try to predict possible switch-ins from Rhydon and Golem in order to land a Double Kick on them. Jolteon lacking Rest cannot afford to get paralyzed as it becomes almost useless without its Speed intact to let it sweep and even with Rest, you should be wary of it. Jolteon pairs well with Exeggutor as it offensively deals with Rhydon and Golem while can also neutralize opposing Pokemon with Sleep Powder. Jolteon also can use Starmie and Slowbro to handle the Ground-types while these two benefit from Jolteon checking Zapdos. Jolteon's Thunder Wave can assist other offensive Pokemon such as Tauros and Alakazam as it is often guaranteed and can be ideal to paralyze threats that outspeed these two.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Body Slam is an interesting alternative to Double Kick to let Jolteon score a possible paralysis against Rhydon and Golem, but its much better off dealing more damage with Double Kick. Hyper Beam can swiftly remove a weakened Tauros or Alakazam but Jolteon's low Attack stat and possible recharge can massively punish it due to its frail Defenses. Sand Attack and Mimic can be fun options with the former possibly lowering the accuracy of Jolteon's switch-ins to force the opponent to gamble or the latter copying Surf to give Jolteon a reliable way to remove Rhydon and Golem, but these moves are either gimmicky at best or are seriously difficult to pull off.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Jolteon's primary attack and Thunder Wave is completely blocked by Ground-types like Rhydon and Golem. Jolteon can potentially lure the aforementioned Pokemon in with Double Kick, but it is completely walled by niche Ground-types like Nidoking and Nidoqueen.

**Chansey**: Chansey is a complete nuisance to any Special Attacker and Jolteon is no exception. Jolteon fails to deal any significant damage to Chansey outside of Double Kick while Chansey can possibly paralyze it.

**Snorlax**: Snorlax completely walls Chansey but can deal major damage back at it with Earthquake.

**Paralysis**: Jolteon cannot afford to be paralyzed as it makes it get outsped by Tauros, Starmie, and Alakazam and completely invalidates any sweep if you don't carry Rest.

**Exeggutor**: Any Jolteon that lacks Pin Missile is completely walled by Exeggutor. Exeggutor can induce sleep on Jolteon as well or possibly lower its Special with Psychic.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[BackAtYouBro, 465000]]
- Quality checked by: [[, ], [, ]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

Last edited:
Jolteon is capable of beating opposing leads such as Jynx and Exeggutor because of this combined with its coverage.
Jynx is likely to put Jolteon to sleep just like against most leads. Granted, it does more damage than Alakazam or non-Surf Starmie to Jynx and can beat them in a 1v1 with enough full para turns, LK misses and the high chance to get a critical hit but I wouldn't count on that. Lead Jolteon is mainly used as a lead vs Starmie. Jolteon is okay vs lead Eggy and has a rather bad lead matchup vs Alakazam. Keep in mind that it is usually more difficult to wake a sleeping Jolteon up than it is for more sturdy mons like Starmie that resist Psychic/Blizzard from Jynx/Exeggutor.
However, Jolteon is walled by Rhydon and Golem and over relies on Double Kick to lure them in.
The main purpose of Double Kick is to hurt Chansey. Sometimes you can also try to wear down the rocks with it but that is only a secondary benefit (and it doesn't do that much damage against them). Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean with "over relies on Double Kick to lure them in". I wouldn't call it "lure" in this context.
Rest is a different option to shrug off Paralysis if need be or to recover health in order to conserve it for the late-game, but this leaves you walled by Exeggutor.
Having Rest on Jolteon gives you great odds at beating Chansey in the long run, even if it has Reflect.
I am not entirely sure how to describe the matchup vs Eggy since it often doesn't generate as much momentum as Rhydon (Eggy is easier checked by Alakazam, Starmie or Chansey) so slowly chipping away at it can be a reasonable attempt. Still, it would take a while to force Exeggutor to explode.
Jolteon should preferably be used in the lead slot as it will often guarantee a paralysis at the start of the game and can win matchups against opposing leads such as Jynx and Exeggutor
First let me say that I don't think Rest would be a good choice for lead Jolteon. Second, Jolteon works about as well as a non-lead as it does as a lead, even a bit better in my personal opinion but I wouldn't disgree if someone calls them equally strong.
I wrote about Jolteon as a lead in my first comment which still applies here.
Jolteon often requires aggressive plays in order to make the most out of it so try to predict possible switch-ins from Rhydon and Golem in order to land a Double Kick on them.
Very often double switching to Tauros would be a better play if you are absoutely sure that the opponent will switch to a rock. Double Kick can still be used as a midground play e.g. if you face a paralysed Chansey.
Jolteon also can use Starmie and Slowbro to handle the Ground-types while these two benefit from Jolteon checking Zapdos.
Slowbro is quite likely to be 3HKO'd by Rhydon which means it can only check it once from full health. Starmie is better at checking them but once it got paralysed, it isn't as great at checking Rhydon anymore as EQ hurts it a lot and Rhydon could even use Substitute to fish for full paras.
Jolteon's Thunder Wave can assist other offensive Pokemon such as Tauros and Alakazam as it is often guaranteed and can be ideal to paralyze threats that outspeed these two.
Realistically Jolteon is the only pokemon in the metagame that will outspeed Alakazam (without setting up Agility). Thunder Wave is just a strong move in RBY in general, I don't think it needs to be explained much.
Body Slam is an interesting alternative to Double Kick to let Jolteon score a possible paralysis against Rhydon and Golem, but its much better off dealing more damage with Double Kick.
Once again, the main issue is that it would be more difficult to pressure Chansey with Body Slam instead of Double Kick. I am not sure which move I'd pick only with the matchup vs rocks in mind. Both would be interesting.
Hyper Beam can swiftly remove a weakened Tauros or Alakazam
While it is thoeretical possible to use it as a surprise weapon, it is definitely not a consistent move choice. Mention that Thunderbolt does more damage than Hyper Beam to most pokemon, including Tauros so it shouldn't be mentioned here. If I didn't miss anything, it only does more vs Jynx, Alakazam, Chansey and Jolteon from all the OU mons. Emphasize why it is basically never used.
Sand Attack and Mimic can be fun options with the former possibly lowering the accuracy of Jolteon's switch-ins to force the opponent to gamble or the latter copying Surf to give Jolteon a reliable way to remove Rhydon and Golem, but these moves are either gimmicky at best or are seriously difficult to pull off.
It will be impossible to mimic Surf if the opponent always switches to a rock vs Jolteon (assuming that the opponent might use Surf-Rhydon would be too wild). Otherwise it is good how you explained that these are gimmicks.
Thunder should be mentioned as OO. Unlike Thunderbolt, you can actually 2HKO Tauros without crits assuming that both moves hit or even OHKO with a crit. Still, the accuracy is bad and it doesn't have a higher paralysis chance compared to Thunderbolt so usually it is better to just go with the safer TBolt.
Chansey is a complete nuisance to any Special Attacker and Jolteon is no exception. Jolteon fails to deal any significant damage to Chansey outside of Double Kick while Chansey can possibly paralyze it.
That matchup is tough to explain. Chansey is often used as a check for Jolteon in the early game but Double Kick can really pressure it. It definitely should be listed but maybe more emphasized that it is not safe.
**Snorlax**: Snorlax completely walls Chansey but can deal major damage back at it with Earthquake.
Hm? Assuming that "Chansey" was supposed to be "Jolteon", Lax doesn't completely wall it because of the high crit chance. It is mainly used as an emergency check since it is likely to take a hit and then threaten Jolteon back.
**Paralysis**: Jolteon cannot afford to be paralyzed as it makes it get outsped by Tauros, Starmie, and Alakazam and completely invalidates any sweep if you don't carry Rest.
This reminds me that you should put Agility in OOs. I don't think it is great but still way better than Sand Attack or Mimic since it can allow Jolteon to undo the speed drop from paralysis but due to it naturally fast speed, it often is a waste and other moves would be better.
**Exeggutor**: Any Jolteon that lacks Pin Missile is completely walled by Exeggutor. Exeggutor can induce sleep on Jolteon as well or possibly lower its Special with Psychic.
I would just say "threaten it with Psychic, Sleep Powder or Stun Spore". The special drop from Psychic doesn't need to be mentioned here since it can already 3HKO it without.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)