OU RBY OU Viability Ranking (2016 to 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok I ran some calcs

vs Tauros, it gets a clean 2HKO, Lap usually doesn't. Lap usually requires an extra Slam to be in HB range, so it would even out, except taking more hits means more chance for hax (also Cuno has a better crit rate fwiw). edit: actually I went and double-checked and based purely on damage rolls, Cuno normally isn't KO'd by 2 Slams+HB. Very prone to damage rolls though, and I haven't considered crits or anything there.

vs Lax it's a bit more in Lap's favour as it usually 3HKOs (78%), but on the flipside Lax is a bit stronger, enough that Lap on average only takes 2 Slams to be in HB range. It's heavily roll-dependent though. Cuno has those same rates, but without the potential for rolls edit: I was wrong on Cuno getting KO'd, it's actually dependent on damage rolls, but the odds are heavily in Lax's favour

I don't tend to play Cuno defensively so I rarely have it switching into normals. I agree that Lap's better bulk makes it a preferable switch-in there, but I disagree with you on Lax, paraslam+fp is 0.3*0.25=0.075, which really isn't that high.

Maybe I should try playing Lap as a sweeper some time lol

Last edited:
Are we allowed to make suggestions as to where to add new Pokemon to the list? For example, Scyther, Golbat or Onix? Or are we to assume that they're in a tier lower than E rank?

Are we allowed to make suggestions as to where to add new Pokemon to the list? For example, Scyther, Golbat or Onix? Or are we to assume that they're in a tier lower than E rank?
Far lower, especially with those 3. Onix has the 2nd highest defense in the game and is faster then GolDon but is hampered by terrible HP, attack and Special that makes it's positives null and void. Scyther has speed but is suffering from a limited movepool, arguably the worst type combination in the game and being overshadowed by Pinsir, who has a more reasonable niche in OU. Golbat has good speed and can phase with Confuse ray but beyond that does Bugger all else and can be oneshot by all the most common Attacks in OU(Blizzard,Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and Psychic.) Even moreso his best possible trait is being a Haze user but stat boosts are less common in OU compared to UU or Ubers where Amnesia/SD boosts are a common factor.

It's safe to assume anything not on the current list isn't really worth talking about, drastically overshadowed to where they have no standout traits, or Ditto.

I wanted to ask whether you guys reckon after the slam mechanics change, that Lapras is still A rank? Most of the charm was before the slam mechanic change, when you could heavily pressure stuff like chansey, with Parafusion+strong Blizzards. Now I think Lapras' main charm is having a strong blizzard, and being able to force Slam/Slam/HB from Tauros(which I think cloyster potentially does better) and also being able to threaten freezes on unpara'd Chansey, as well as consistently 3hko'ing Snorlax, also not being huge Zapdos bait is nice. It potentially switches into the normals better, but otherwise is weaker than Articuno(which has less coverage but cleans out games way better). Potentially being able to instantly put something like Chansey out of the game with Sing, is also a point in Lapras' favour. So yeah what do you guys think? Really curious.

Last edited:

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
Copied from my UU Thread post:

I've always used Dragonite in OU, and it really should not be C-rank, and by extension, should not be in UU. It's basically Jirachi from other generations where the opponent must rely on hax to get in a hit. The only counter to Dragonite is Gengar, and even Gengar relies on a miss due to Wrap still immobilizing Ghost types. The infinite PP glitch is also a factor here, so you cannot just PP stall Dragonite. And even when Dragonite eventually misses, he's likely severely weakened the opposing team, making him a great support 'Mon.
Let's also not forget that Paralysis is everywhere in RBY, so with additional Para support, Dragonite also works as an effective cleaner.
Dragonite also works as a check to 3 of the 4 S-rank Pokemon, as it naturally outspeeds Chansey, Snorlax, and Exeggutor. So C-rank/UU is really not suitable for our favorite Dragon.
EDIT: Dragonite also arguably does Cloyster's job better, and Cloyster is OU so...

You can still PP stall Dnite, just don't switch on that last wrap. The big issue with Dnite is that sure once it's going the opponent needs luck to do anything, but Dnite generally needs luck to get set up in the first place. It gets practically zero clean setup opportunities due to heaps of things having access to paralysis, albeit to varying degrees of reliability, while many pokemon also carry Ice attacks that hurt it or OHKO. I disagree that it checks the pokemon you mentioned, since Egg and Chansey both have access to paralysis, while it's also a bad check to Lax due to the risk of paraslam; paralysed Dnite is practically useless, since Wrap spam is pretty much all it's got going for it and para ruins that.

As for the Cloy comparison, Cloy also has STAB Blizzard, Explosion and significantly better physical bulk, giving it much better defensive utility while not being quite so dependent on wrap to function.

Despite all that, I agree with you in that as the rankings are currently constructed Dnite probably ought to be in B. I mean I know I argued for it to be C earlier, but that was in conjunction with Cloy and Don who are now both B, so I think Dnite ought to join them as it's definitely closer to those two in value than the rest of C. Though tbh I think PP's VR thread is simply better anyway so w/e

i find cloy better than dnite, it can actually switch on things (lax, bull to some extent) although the threat of body slam para is ofc huge (but once again u can run rest), boom it's also a thing esp considering only gengar "resists" both blizzard and boom (blizz does still a ton)

dnite is better at sweeping teams (it needs a free turn to setup tho) but cloy provides much more utility so id say its at least 1 rank above dnite (i guess usages show it as well, where cloy has some usage and dnite almost 0 and thats because how much of a risky mon it is)

maybe we need smth between a and b rank tho, i find bro, jynx and rocks just more consistent than cloy, gengar and jolt (slighty actually)

id also remove completely e and d ranks (id keep moltres, and maybe kingler/pinsir/kanga/dodrio but other than that the rest shouldnt even be considered for a serious rby match, things like tangela and poliwrath should never be mentioned in this)

edit: raticate in d if u wanna keep it, super fang is a niche itself + decent speed + atk. way better than most of things in e and d ranks

Last edited:

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Yeah they have very different roles.
Cloy can tank lax and bull hits and create free turns with clamp, but there are better waters to use (not really outclassed, but it has tough competition)
Dnite is a late game sweeper (the best wrap abuser in the game).
I dont think Cloy gives that much more utility to be higher than Dnite

My point was that they should be in the same rank
I disagree that rocks > ggar. Jynx and Slowbro are better than the rest of B though
Basically, its something like bro and jynx > ggar and rocks > jolteon, cloy and dnite

yea i guess thats bout point of views (i used more cloy but dnite ofc can be a threat if u manage to hit some wrap, cloy has to hit clamp some times too, but at least it isn't as luck based as dnite is)

bout gengar idk, it hasnt good lead matchup vs zam / mie and vs jynx u gotta hit hypnosis, boom is huge but it can be played around, rocks otherwise are quite good considering zap's usage atm. they are risky too tbh (if ur chans get frozen vs a team with lap/starmie u gonna be in serious trouble) but theyre just more viable to me

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
-bull
-blob
-egg
-lax
(Drop)

-zam
-mie
-bro
-zap
(Small drop)

-jynx
-lapras
(Small Drop)

-gengar
-rhydon
-golem
(Drop)

-persian
-jolt
-arti
-dnite
(Small drop)

-clonster
-vic
-kingler
-hypno
(Small drop)

-gyara
-kanga
(Small drop)

-moltres
-fable
-dodrio
-poliwrath
-golduck
-dugtrio
-venusaur
-sandslash
(Small drop)

-raichu
-tangela
-charizard
-tentacruel
(Small drop)

-everything else...

Or something like that. Idk what letters are best tho.

Oooh if we're posting our personal VRs, I might as well post mine

Tauros, Snorlax, Exeggutor, Chansey

Alakazam, Starmie, Slowbro, Zapdos

Jolteon*, Golem, Jynx, Lapras, Gengar

Cloyster, Dragonite, Rhydon

Victreebel, Hypno, Articuno**, Moltres, Persian, Kingler***, Pinsir***

Sandslash, Raticate, Kangaskhan

Nothing else is worth using imo

*I'm seriously considering ranking Jolt alongside Zap. I think Zap's advantages over Jolt are overstated, while Jolt is better defensively. Zap's obvious advantage is better offensive power and better bulk, which in theory makes it more suited to situations in which you're dealing with neutral damage, as well as lacking an EQ weakness for TaurLax to pick on. However in a lot of situations this is imo mitigated by Jolt's superior speed, for instance against Tauros Jolt may die faster, but it comfortably revenges Tauros while Zap has to tank a hit. I don't think there's an objective way of comparing the difference in tactics you get presented but imo the difference balances out to be kinda small. Defensively, Jolt's lack of Ice weakness makes it a better check to Waters (also is really cool vs BoltBeam Chansey), while with Zap you have to manage a weakness to... Jolteon. In addition to GolDon. So it's better at checking things, while you contend with one less weakness, which is why I think Jolt's better defensively and from a teambuilding perspective.

**I fucking love Articuno, but my exchange with Hipmonlee earlier in the thread about Cuno vs Lap has me wondering...

***I haven't used or seen these much at all, and tbh I'm not sure I'd be all that comfortable with them since I'm not sure how easy it would be to keep them free of para, and how effective they'd be if they cop para. So I'm uncertain about ranking them ahead of Sandslash tbh, since Slash at least has TWave immunity

TL;DR I disagree with Jorgen on a lot of lower ranked stuff, but totally approve of Bro>Lapras

Last edited:

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Jolteon is awesome and I totally agree with Ortheore, it's better than the rocks for me but then I think the rocks suck ballsack so

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Tauros, Snorlax, Exeggutor, Chansey

Alakazam, Starmie

Slowbro, Zapdos

Jynx, Lapras, Gengar, Jolteon

Cloyster, Dragonite, Rhydon, Golem

No doubts about top 4
Alakazam and Starmie are just so good and can easily fit in any team. Recover is just that good.
Zapdos is an excellent mon, but its easily walled by rocks. Tobybro is a scary threat but its also a luck magnet. The reason I consider Alakazam and Starmie to be in a higher place than Bro and Zap is that they are overall more consistent (both Zapdos and Slowbro can be either great or nearly useless)

GGFan

Banned deucer.
S rank
1. Tauros. The undisputed king of RBY. Pulls wins out of its ass with crit Hyper Beams and desperation freezes. Body Slam provides tremendous support against the likes of Starmie and Alakazam in a pinch (or lets it outright kill them by itself). A must-have Pokemon for disposing of Chansey, especially the Reflect variant.

2. Snorlax. I believe Snorlax is more valuable than Chansey in this metagame. Lax has always been versatile, but the mechanics changes have made the Reflect/Earthquake set that I invented 11 years ago even more dangerous, as Tauros and other Snorlaxen can't paralyze it. In addition to the ubiquitious Reflect set, however, the Amnesia set is now more dangerous since it allows Snorlax to outspeed paralyzed Chansey, which is huge. Lax has so many other tools at its disposal too, such as Counter, Selfdestruct, Hyper Beam, and even Ice Beam for a more reliable form of freezing. Overall, an incredibly dangerous Pokemon that often wins you games early unless the opposing Tauros gets lucky.

3. Chansey. Another Pokemon that has benefited greatly from the mechanics changes, Chansey is now a far more formidable threat to Tauros and Snorlax thanks to its immunity from Body Slam paralysis. Also, Snorlax's transformation from aggressive to passive has done wonders as well, making its Reflect set incredibly useful. The Reflect set can be almost impossible to take down in certain situations. In the case that it does get taken down, it won't be before it paralyzes something that hates taking paralysis, namely Tauros. Since Zam is usually the desired sleep bait on most teams, Chansey is the most important status inflicter on your team. Other useful moves include Sing and Counter, which can be downright brutal if you don't see them coming.

4. Exeggutor. I've always believed Exeggutor is the "weakest" of the big four due to the fact that its most outstanding attribute--sleep--is not unique to it. Gengar and Lapras can also inflict sleep (albeit not as reliably). Another thing I dislike about Exeggutor is that its low Speed sometimes makes it a liability against certain Wrap/Clamp teams, though it at least walls double powder Victreebel. Explosion is great, obviously, but it can also swing and miss if the opponent switches out. Of course it's one of the best Pokemon in the game for its overall bulk and Sleep Powder, but it definitely belongs at the bottom of the list for sure. It's a lot easier to make a team without Exeggutor than it is a team without the other three.

S- rank

1. Alakazam. Yes, S-. I won't argue that Alakazam is on the same level or even better than the big 4, but one can easily make the case. For one, Alakazam is by far the best lead in the game since it scares off Gengar, intimidates Jolteon, and guarantees (lol 1/256) you'll at least be able to paralyze the other leads. If it takes sleep, it has a better shot at waking up than, say, Gengar or Jynx, thanks to its blistering Speed and ability to take hits from special attackers However, what usually happens these days is that it will be paralyzed by the other Alakazam, which is perfectly fine since it allows it to block Exeggutor's sleep and remain a menace for the rest of the game. One threat that all teams need to be prepared for, though, is the dreaded late-game Zam, which is a terror if Chansey is dead and Exeggutor is crippled. Having a Pokemon that will outspeed Tauros and Zapdos, can Recover, AND can Reflect usually results in "good game" unless the opponent gets a lucky crit through Reflect. It should be mentioned, however, that Tauros usually can't OHKO Alakazam with a crit Body Slam, so Zam can Recover the damage.

RBY cup had me return to the metagame that started it all for me. After reading through the thread, just wanted to chime in a bit about two ice types. Replays to support these can be found at the bottom.

Here's the first, boring one.
Jynx B -> A
This is a rather big nomination, so it'll be a large writeup. The reasons I would like to nominate Jynx up to A are because...

It has favourable matchups against most leads, notably with the move Rest in your 4th moveslot. You just go straight for sleep against every para lead and can rest off paralysis, and you will find turns to burn the sleep away (more on this in my next main point). In terms of facing opposing sleep leads, the mirror matchup is obviously a 50/50 (though you can burn sleep turns against Jynx and others effectively), and the Gengar matchup is theoretically a 60/40... but their 60% isn't that punishing vs you (burn sleep later) and your 40% is very threatening vs them with either sleep or psychic damage. Consistently being able to beat or favourably trade with opposing leads, and then continue applying pressure puts it above the similarly tiered Jolteon in terms of keeping momentum (can invite golDon for free and kill all of your momentum in the early game), and above Gengar in terms of consistency and damage (hypnosis is shaky and strapped for coverage moves).

It's an amazing sleep absorber. Jynx will find plenty of opportunities to burn sleep turns against stuff like boltbeam Chansey, non-double edge Eggy, Alakazam (which is very easy to cripple, easing burning turns), clamp Cloyster, psychic Starmie, it goes on. Zam can do all this too of course, but Zam is an A tier threat. Jynx being comparable in effectiveness to Zam as a sleep absorber is a testament to how effective it is, and should be tiered accordingly. This strength brings me to my third point...

It's a lead that can be used midgame, reliably. While Zam is a great lead and absorbs status like a day job, that leaves it to work rather inconsistently in the mid-game due to paralysis. Jynx can Rest away its paralysis after putting something to bed, and then quickly wake up and continue pressuring the opponent with freeze chances or psychic stab. It's a lead that can gain and maintain momentum throughout a whole match and punish switches with strong stabs or lethal freeze chance, and this consistency should be ranked at A tier.

In short... Jynx has a better lead matchup spread than other B leads, is an amazing sleep absorber, a great midgame breaker, and is more consistent overall than other B tiers.

Here's the second, not-so boring one. Try not to dismiss it too quickly.
Articuno C -> stay in C
It got a decent amount of hate in this thread and was being absurdly considered to drop to D alongside Kingler and Moltres. Articuno is absolutely better than the trash in D, and here's why.

When paired with solid ice checks (answers to cloyster, lapras, starmie) that lay down lots of pressure... Articuno rips through standard cores. The damage calcs have already been gone over and are impressive, so no need to go into that. Classic cores like chansey/eggy/lax/tauros are immensely pressured by Articuno immediately, without needing a lot of support. "But chansey!" you may call out. Capitalizing on Articuno's nasty blizzards that force the foe into chansey is key to letting it shine, so simply pair it with a second ice type like Jynx that can force opposing chansey to switch into ice moves more often than it would like, or suffer consequences (such as lovely kiss or overall psychic damage) otherwise. This accelerates the freeze race in your favor, and once you've weakened or crippled Articuno's checks, the agility set can sweep. Yes the sweeper set is niche, but it's not Kingler/Moltres level niche and doesn't require anywhere as much support as D tier mons.

Articuno can check normal types. The frozen bird actually has great overall bulk. Reflect-Rest is a viable option on Articuno that makes freeze fishing much easier, because you can switch into normal types that may have threatened to cripple with para chance before and just wall them while firing off blizzards that 2hko stuff like tauros. Even without Rest, Articuno can take enough hits to break down several Tauros checks that are forced to trade with Cuno once the ice resist is done for.

Is it as consistent as other ice types? No, it struggles immensely against starpras teams that triple up on ice switch-ins. I'm not nominating this to be above stuff like Lapras or Cloyster. However, Articuno is an anti-meta wallbreaker that can capitalize on the majority of teams only packing 2 ice checks at most, and should be given enough respect to be considered better than trashcan D tier mons.

Replays showcasing Jynx and Articuno:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-734711427 match against a player that was top 5 on ladder. Good showcase of how a well-played Jynx will quickly find turns to wake up. ReflectLax did crit the chansey, however the chansey clicked counter (snorlax went first, meaning chansey clicked a negative priority move). Even if the crit didn't happen, chansey would have been at 10% health and too weak to function anymore, meaning Articuno proceeds to rip the team open anyway for a late-game Tauros or... Eggy sweep. I stayed in with Articuno on the lovely kiss because if Cuno went to bed, ReflectLax cleaned the entire team. Interesting to note that if the Jynx didn't crit Articuno with psychic, Tauros would have to max roll a hyper beam to ko articuno from exactly 50% hp.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-736123169 Rest Jynx burning the zzz's against Gengar and Cloyster. People just don't expect an Articuno in the back and let their ice checks sleep or blow up. Articuno cleans house once zapdos got chipped into blizzard range and cloyster got forced to sleep.

I do not think that Jynx deserves to be A rank, since that would put it at the same level as things like Alakazam, Starmie, and Zapdos. The fact that Jynx has even less physical bulk than Alakazam and is forced to rest to recover off damage makes it unable to survive as long as you claim. It invites things like Tauros in for free when it is trying to wake up, which drains your momentum, and it also cannot spread paralysis. So, I think Jynx should be B rank.

I'm actually of the opinion that Jynx is thoroughly mediocre. Like yeah sure, it consistently gets sleep off, then what? It can block sleep I guess, if the opponent isn't running a mixed set (very common), but other than that it doesn't really do a whole lot, unless it gets a hail mary freeze. Meanwhile if the opponent is able to predict it switching in (relatively easy to do) and doubles to a physical attacker or if you just give away free turns by Resting, you're in for a world of hurt. Rest on physically frail pokemon is generally a bad thing because there is no physical equivalent of Chansey to soak up the assault you're inviting. Furthermore, when you consider that Jynx is likely going to be Resting early in the game before you've had a chance to spread status it becomes even more of a liability. Rest Jynx is just generally bad, the worst thing is that Rest is still its best option in the 4th slot

I would comment on Articuno but tbh C/D/E is a mess lol. Hypno's really bad and it doesn't belong in C, while half of the stuff in D doesn't belong there either. Pokemon Perfect's rankings are just better imo

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Jynx is super good at getting the 2-for-1 opener. That alone is enough for B imo.

I agree that it's not quite on par with the other A-tier threats though.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I have actually talked about that in the other thread but I think setting up these stalemate games of a parad zam and a parad reflect chansey is about the most consistent and on paper best thing you can do in rby right now and shuts off pretty much everything thrown towards you on the special side. I have actually noticed that many players started to actively change up how they play their early games to avoid getting into those and things like lead eggy and immediately going into chansey and going for a freeze/sing have started popping up again. I'm just gonna claim that there is an interest in avoiding para special stalemates, at least in certain situations.

That is also the reason why I have never stopped liking jynx. It forces the issue. It also forces you to play aggressively and be the beatdown but that comes with a very potent niche of forcing certain players to play a bit outside of their comfort zone. It's sort of a big tempo advantage you can gain and that's not necessarily coming from the hail mary freeze. Imagine your average lead matchup of jynx vs starmie, which is actually the most favorable nongengar (that is just not a pokemon anymore imo) matchup you can force vs jynx. You take it out temporarily and then it depends on how your opponent plays the game, if they immediately go chansey you have several chances on a freeze, if they stay in you can punish them by immediately going tauros which comes fairly close to breaking up the game similar to a freeze. Sure, you kinda have to be a nerdlord and keep a spreadsheed of what players do what, but you can put yourself in a position where you gain such a big advantage that your opponent just can't come back anymore. That by itself is just better than everything what the mons in C rank do if you ask me. I have to agree that it is a fairly useless mon in the lategame unless you pull some serious stunts, but so is the mon you put to sleep turn 1. I'm gonna say on paper the things that slowbo and rhydon do are better overall than what jynx does, apart from that it is fairly well suited where it's sitting right now. If anything I'm gonna say that gengar is not correctly placed in B rank anymore, even though I just advocated on how good sleeping something is before spreading para.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
Gengar is probably meta-dependent. If people start using more Persian to get past reflect chanseys, or if more people start to try to wrapscam, that could create a rise in Gengar usage and allow him to really shine.

Even in an unhospitable environment though, sleep + explosion + explosion disincentive for your opponent + reason to use EQ on snorlax/tauros make him a lot more useful and important to account for than... hypno.

just to be sure, mons within the same rank from B and above are ranked according to usefulness, correct? if so, i think the meta has swung such that rhydon is the more relevant mon than golem for being able to take on para'd starmie better which is substantially more important thesedays.

While this resource is largely correct I'd like to suggest a few changes that would help represent the current RBY metagame better, helping future RBY prospects pick up the generation faster.

A Rank -> B Rank
Lapras is definitely still a great Pokemon in RBY, however, I believe it is better placed next to the other (still very viable) B Rank Pokemon. Alakazam, Starmie and Zapdos are simply a tier above it and largely the go-to choices after the 'Big 4' performing insanely consistent lead or cleanup/breaker roles. Lapras is simply not on par with that and the viability rankings should reflect it.

B Rank -> C Rank
The Golem vs. Rhydon debate has been beaten to death and fact is that despite Golem beating Rhydon in a 1v1 & Golem having access to Explosion, Rhydon is the better Pokemon as it is able to perform better vs. teams at large. Rhydon can break through Starmie and Reflect Pokemon with paralysis support and has been the preferred choice for most instances by top-end RBY players, the vr should reflect that. Nevertheless, Golem has a solid niche over Rhydon in the aforementioned Explosion and despite being weaker it performs as well sometimes so C Rank is as far as it should drop.

D Rank -> C Rank
While it isnt a driving force of the metagame Moltres has many desirable traits. First of all, it has a great special stat combined with a high base power STAB in Fire Blast, dealing identical damage to Articuno. The secondary effect of Fire Blast combined with Moltres solid defense allows it to also take on physical attackers pretty well. Moreover, it has access to a wrap move in Fire Spin, weakening its foes into range of either Fire Blast or Hyper Beam, which also hits relatively hard due to Moltres Tauros-like attacking stat. Overall, Moltres is a powerful and sturdy Pokemon with access to wrap, which should give it more consideration than any other Pokemon in D Rank when teambuilding, it is surely on par with the likes of Persian, Articuno and Hypno.

I think that there might be some more changes that could be desireable, but these are the ones that I am most certain about and they have caught my eye instantly.

Last edited:
My personal list (keep in mind everything is ranked even in sub ranks so starmie being above alakazam means starmie is slightly better and so forth and everything is pretty close with in ranks):
S
Tauros
Lax
Pinkegg
Egg

A+
Mie
Zam

A
Zap

A-
Bro

B+
Don

B
Gar
Jynx
Cloy

B-
Lap
Gol

C+
Jolt

C
Persian

C-
Articuno
Dnite
Bel

D rank
Molt

E rank
Every other meme

Last edited:

Heroic Troller

Through the Sea of Time
is a Tiering Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
World Defender
I will leave some thoughts as i got some time to kill, i guess i will stay short unless you ask for longer reasons

Exeggutor S->S-: while i am a big lover of this guy, in 2019 it's undeniable that the 3 normals are better at their jobs, it's important to note that Exeggutor is still amazing at least and should never drop below S-
Zapdos+Starmie A->A+: both are incredibly solid unlike Zam who is very flawed, time to display the truth
Lapras A->A-: Lapras is in a dry moment right now, many teams are dropping Exeggutor resulting in harder match ups, despite that A- rank is the least. I will add this part to say why Lapras should stay in A realm, first it is at least a rank better than any of B mons (not Rhydon that i refuse to consider B), and being a Tauros switch in is already something, Sing saves Lapras from the doom may an emergency come. there's a free kill 55% of the times. And it is just a solid mon overall
Rhydon B->A-/A: both ranks works really, i'd be for A to give Zam a roommate, Rhydon is just devastating and the wave of Exegg drop is only making him better, it has flaws but big upsides too, B is an insult imo
Hypno swap rank with Moltres: Hypno is bad, can work once in a while but really it's a bad Jynx, nothing to share in that rank. On the otherhand Moltres is really good, better than Articuno, no hard Lapras/Cloyster wall, and the strogest special damage of rby (Fire Blast outclasses Mewtwo's Psychic)

If there's some topic i'm missing let me know, i replied to what i think it's important at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)