Tournaments RBYPL II - Format Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
op adapted from scl 1 commencement thread and dpl 7 format discussion thread

Artwork by Spook

Host Team: emma, TBA, TBA
Tournaments Rules and General Guidelines

How does RBY PL work?

There will be (likely) 6 teams, each with their own manager and assistant manager. Management duos will do a Snake Draft on Pokemon Showdown!, where they will take turns nominating and bidding in an auction for players who signed up to assemble their teams with limited credits available. The teams will then play one another for 5 weeks, with a new opponent each week. This will culminate with a Playoffs week consisting of the Top 3 teams overall from the 5-week main season.

How does one signup as a player?

Player signups are projected to begin Sunday September 19th and will be open until 24 hours before the auction (see below). You should include your name, timezone, metagames you are willing to play, and any expected inactivity. Do not sign up if you cannot commit to the entire tournament. RBY PL II is expected to run from the beginning of October to the middle of November.

How does one apply to be a manager / assistant manager?

Manager signups are projected to begin Sunday September 12th and will be open until Saturday Sunday 18th 11:59 PM GMT-4. The RBY PL hosting team (myself and likely 1-2 other people) will pick managers.

If I am selected as a captain, can I still play for my team?

Yes, managers and assistant managers will (likely) be given the option to draft themselves for a set price of 15k credits. You do not have to buy yourself if you don't want to.

When is the RBY PL Auction?

The auction date will occur during October 1st / 2nd / 3rd when at least one representative of each team will be available.

When does RBY PL Week 1 start?

Monday October 4th.

The General Manager of a team is essentially the boss of a team. The GM is the final word in all decisions (barring the hosts) regarding his team. The GM decides which players play on the team, who plays in what position, and even handles the team finances. Managers also make sure that the team keeps running on a day to day basis. If a team fails to complete their matches by the end of the allotted time, the onus is on the manager to inform the hosts as to what happened in order to make sure that proper activity calls are made.

Because of these responsibilities, The General Manager is probably the most important part of the team. As such, the position of GM is not one to be taken lightly.

• General Managers are chosen largely on a subjective opinion of the hosts as well as RBY Moderation Team as to who they believe would be fit for the position. Being fit for the position includes the knowledge of excellent battlers in the community (for fielding a competent team), having above average activity on the forums, Pokémon Showdown and/or Discord (in order to ensure that you don’t abandon your team), as well as possessing a necessary amount of “gravitas” (If you can’t make a player do what you tell them to, such as play an undesirable metagame, you’re not going to make a good manager).

General Managers are required to acquire one Assistant Manager. The General Manager gets full sovereignty in choosing their assistant manager. The assistant manager is essentially the second in command for the team. They have all of the functions and roles as the General Manager does, the GM just trumps them in head-to-head decisions.

Lastly, the General Manager has the following duties:

• They shall choose one Assistant Manager.
• They shall make the hosts aware of any player retentions by the time player signups close.
• They shall be present at the live auction, or appoint someone (the Assistant Manager) to participate in the live auction in their stead.
• They shall send the hosts weekly rosters.
• They shall ensure to the best of their abilities that their battlers complete their matches on time.
• In the event that a match fails to be completed, they shall inform the hosts as to why the match failed to be completed, and what their battler did in order to finish the match.
• They shall communicate any grievances with the hosts.

Total money for teams is 80,000 credits.

In the weeks preceding the Live Auction, a time will be chosen where at least 1 Manager or Assistant Manager from each team can meet and perform a live auction in order to choose players. The Manager and/or Assistant Manager present will be expected to remain at the auction for the entire duration, which should take approximately 2 hours.

Once a time is set, all attending Managers + Hosts will enter the place where the auction will be held - most likely a group chat for the auction. Spectators are allowed to join in to watch the auction, but will not be able to speak. Discussion on the bidding should be relegated to the RBY PS! Room, RBY Discord, or any other appropriate chat outlet.

The hosts will first ask a team to nominate a player. The order by which teams will nominate players will go in a randomized snaking pattern from the first chosen team to the last chosen team, then the last chosen team to the first chosen team. Details of said player will be displayed and bidding will commence, starting at 3000 credits, with the nominating team automatically placing the first bid. The auction will then be in real time. Managers will simply put in their bids in the chat, raising a minimum of 500 credits. If after 15 seconds there are no new bids, the player is sold to the highest bid in the channel. Updated credit totals will be displayed and then the next manager in the rotation will be prompted to nominate a player.

Managers are asked to please have a predetermined list of players you intend to nominate as well as potential bid caps, in order to make the process go as quickly and seamlessly as possible.

Managers: it is necessary for you to field a roster of 6 starters and a minimum of 2 substitutes. Playing Managers and Assistant Managers are included in the roster number. Therefore, you need to buy at least 6 players if both Managers are playing, 7 if only one is, and 8 if neither are playing. This creates a soft cap of 59,000 credits on any particular bid - that is, the maximum amount of money you can spend on any one player and still have enough money left over to pay at least 3000 credits a piece on 7 more players. In addition, you cannot buy more than 18 players, including playing Managers.

There is no midseason this year. Therefore, it is highly recommended that all teams spend all of their credits in the auction, as there is no use for them afterwards.

It is at this time that the tournament will commence. The league stages consist of a Round Robin tournament. Every team will face every other team once through 5 weeks of play. Each manager will submit to the hosts a roster no later than the deadline of the previous week. This roster will list the starting players and what metagames they will play.

When the week starts, teams' players will face off in their respective metagames / tiers. The RBY OU 1 from Team A will face the RBY OU 1 from team B, RBY OU 2 will face RBY OU 2, and so on. Whichever team wins the most battles will be declared the victor for the week. Rather than score based on how many individual battles a team wins, the primary thing that matters is who beat the most teams. As such, points are awarded based only on wins and losses versus teams as a whole, not individual players. Beating a team in a week’s matchups is worth two points, tying with a team is worth one point, and losing is worth none, simple as that. At the end of the round robin, the top three teams in the points proceed to the playoffs. Semifinals will see #2 vs. #3, Finals will be #1 vs. winner of #2 vs. #3.

There are a few regulatory things during the league stages that need to be outlined.

1. Substitutes – At any point in time during the week, a team may make a substitution for a currently slotted player. In order to do this a manager must post in the thread, tagging the hosts, the opposing managers and the opposing player stating which player is substituting out, and which player is substituting in. A player that has substituted out for a week cannot be substituted back in. In addition, in order to catch any attempts at garnering favorable matchups in RBY OU (where the lineup you choose affects pairings), all substitutions are subject to veto by the hosts if the substitution is suspected to be attempting to “game” the system.

2. There will be no trades allowed at any point during RBY PL.

3. Activity decisions – There are inevitably times where two players simply fail to complete a match; however, the nature of the tournament system sometimes makes it advantageous to purposely fail to play (such as when a team is up 3-2 in a week). Because of this, it is necessary to make activity decisions on matches. Hosts are required to make thorough investigations regarding each and every potential failed match during a week. If both parties are deemed to be equally apathetic or enthusiastic about getting the match done, but just have not had the opportunity to make it happen, the match will result in a no contest. However, if it is deemed that one party made significantly more effort than the other in attempting to get the match done, then a win will be awarded to that player. Things that will make it very likely that you will lose via activity include: failing to VM your opponent immediately upon the week’s start, scheduling a match and being documented as missing the match time, failing to provide any concrete times for which you can be reached, failing to respond to an opponent’s VM at all. Note that this is a tournament that requires a very high level of activity and diligence, if you don’t think you can get your matches done, quite simply don’t sign up.

4. Rule Breaking – There is no excuse for breaking any of the predetermined rules. If you are caught breaking a rule, you will lose your match. There is no lenience with regards to this. Break a rule, you lose. Period.

5. Reversing Rulings - No ruling will be retroactively overturned once the week following the week that the ruling has been made has ended. This includes: activity rulings / rulings based on rule breaking / anything else under the sun. I'm not going back in time to reevaluate every single decision I've made throughout the tournament on Week 9 because you think you were gypped 1-2 wins along the way and now they're the difference between you and a playoff spot. Any appeals to a ruling must be made during the week that the ruling is made; beyond that, all rulings are final once the week ends.

Monday August 30th - Format Discussion Thread
Sunday September 12th - Manager Signups
Sunday September 19th - Player Signups
Friday October 1st / Saturday October 2nd / Sunday October 3rd - Live Auction
Monday October 4th - Week 1
Monday October 11th - Week 2
Monday October 18th - Week 3
Monday October 25th - Week 4
Monday November 1st - Week 5
Monday November 8th - Semifinals
Monday November 15th - Finals

In this thread, feel free to discuss anything regarding RBY PL before it begins. This is meant to be a place for players to voice their opinions and help us decide some key things regarding RBY PL. Some points of discussion are:

1. Format
  • Last year's format was 6 teams with 6 slots. This seems very unlikely to change​
  • Last year's format was 4x RBY OU / 1x RBY UU / 1x RBY Ubers. We will be doing a minimum 3x RBY OU slots, but I am willing to change one RBY OU slot from last year to RBY NU for example. I find it extremely unlikely we double up on any non RBY OU tier due to playerbase sizes.​
  • My preferred format is 3x RBY OU / 1x RBY UU / 1x RBY NU / 1x RBY Ubers or 4x RBY OU and 1x 2/3 of RBY UU, RBY NU, RBY Ubers.​
  • One thing I would love to see is projected players for RBY UU, RBY NU, and RBY Ubers (as well as any other formats you propose).​
2. Retains
You are allowed only three retainers. You may not retain more than three, though you may retain less or no players at all if you wish.

The cost to retain a player on their first year as a retention will be the HIGHER of the following two scenarios (unchanged from last year):
  1. the amount that the player went for in the last auction + 3k (ex. if Oglemi was bought for 13k, it would cost 16k to retain him)
  2. 10k, if the previous price + 3k would end up being lower than 10k (ex. if Oglemi was bought for 6k, his retaining cost would be 10k, not 9k)
Remember that a player bought for under 10k during last year's auction will not necessarily cost just 10k to retain. If Oglemi was bought for 9k in last year's auction, he would cost 12k to retain this year, not 10k.

The cost to retain a player that was already retained in the last RBY PL will be dependent on how many times they have been retained. The fee being raised by +3k with each subsequent retention (ex. if Oglemi was retained for 16k last RBY PL , it would cost 22k to retain him in this one, and 31k to retain him in the next one.

• Should we introduce retains for RBY PL II?
  • If so, for managers that aren't returning, how will we determine which new managers get which set of retains? Generally prospective managers list their preferred team and the host team decides.
3. Managers & Assistant Managers as Players
  • Should managers and assistant mangers be allowed to play again? Since it worked well smoothly, the answer is likely yes.
  • If so, should we keep the flat 15k price from last year or go with something else?

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
One thing I would love to see is projected players for RBY UU, RBY NU, and RBY Ubers (as well as any other formats you propose).
I'm of the school of thought of RBY OU x3 / RBY Ubers / RBY UU / RBY NU. NU is a tier that really needs proper representation to get kickstarted, as it is virtually the only reason the tier has a "small" playerbase. Similar to stuff like Tradebacks and Stadium, many players want to try out the tier, but there is a lack of incentive; thus, NU being included would give a "consistent" tournament to look forward to, no? It lets the current playerbase establish itself, provides some much-needed diversity in tiers, and gives all of our "staple" tiers representation. Seems like an open-and-shut case.

But obviously, we need projected players. Here's what comes to mind for each tier, as emma requested it on Discord. I'll be using the signups from the previous RBYPL as a reference point. If I were to sign up, I would sign up for all tiers, but I also want to manage...pass me that self-buy, eh?

Obvious disclaimer: The players I list may not actually sign up, context of any past signups isn't considered, and I will obviously miss some people out when noting them here. I naturally didn't ask any players for clarification and don't know even half of them personally.

:mewtwo:Ubers:mew:
  • Sevi 7 (also plays UU/NU)
  • Mr.378
  • kjdaas (also plays OU/UU)
  • Oiseau Bleu (also plays everything else but seems to be best here?)
  • Lutra
  • Enigami (hates OU rn and has been labbing this out)
  • Mikon (plays p much everything but seems best here maybe possibly?)
  • Fc
  • 64 Squares
  • Koalacancee (listed as 2nd after OU)
  • Ranshiin (listed as 2nd after OU)
  • Thunder (listed as 2nd after OU)
  • Frrf (listed as 2nd after OU)
  • Luirromen (listed alongside OU, Ubers first)
  • LTG
  • Alpha Male Psyduck
  • Ctown6
  • Khaetis
  • Rage(?)
In terms of who actually got drafted and played in RBYPL, you have: Mr.378, Lutra, 64 Squares, Oiseau Bleu, Ranshiin, Sevi 7, and HSOWA. If I recall correctly, HSOWA was a shoe-in. I would probably end up playing either this or UU. The recent Spotlight Tour has some names I missed out. Nothing really out of place here, it was in last time and had just the right amount of participation.

:tentacruel:UU:hypno:
  • Volk
  • Shellnuts
  • EB0LA
  • Lusch
  • Sevi 7
  • phoopes
  • Reeece
  • AM
  • pacattacc
  • LTG
  • Lord Thorx
  • melanie uwu(?)
  • Joltinjoe(?)
  • iKiQ (listed as 2nd after OU)
  • ForgottenOnes (listed alongside OU, Ubers first)
  • Koalacancee (lowest priority, also signed up in RoA Olympics)
  • LpZ (highest priority out of all tiers)
  • Maple (listed as 2nd after OU)
  • Mister Tim (listed as 2nd after OU)
  • Malekith
  • kjdaas
  • El Cadaver (played in suspect tour)
  • meloyy (played in suspect tour)
  • Ice Yazu (played in suspect tour)
  • Justamente (played in UUFPL)
  • gorex (signed up in UUFPL)
  • Bekaray (signed up in UUFPL)
  • Louna (signed up in UUFPL)
  • Lost Soul (signed up in UUFPL)
  • RageAgainstTheMagearna (signed up in UUFPL)
  • Vaboh (signed up in UUFPL)
  • Maki (signed up in UUFPL)
  • UnzipsCrogre (signed up in UUFPL)
  • DraKeyTT (signed up in UUFPL)
  • TeamCharm (signed up in UUFPL)
  • WMAR (signed up in UUFPL)
  • ramolost (signed up in UUFPL)
  • Harb1ng3r (signed up in UUFPL)
  • Expulso (signed up in UUFPL)
  • BigFatMantis (general interest, signed up in RoA Olympics too)
  • ACII (signed up in RoA Olympics)
There are definitely more, UUFPL had higher turnout than ADV/GSC UU. UU's playerbase has unquestionably exploded in the past year with its uptick in resources and high-profile activity, including a suspect test. I don't see a world where UU gets criminally low signups because of this, and it should have a good run in terms of players. I feel like the players who play will be almost completely different.

:mr-mime:NU:charizard:
The main issue with NU is that it hasn't been put in a proper team tour before...
  • S1nn0hC0nf1rmed
  • SBPC
  • pacattacc
  • Sevi 7
  • Volk
  • Shellnuts
  • HaaiL
  • Enigami (if it isn't Ubers it'll be this)
  • AttackonSamurott (They do play OU primarily iirc, but I'm not sure if they'd actually get picked as it is kinda stacked)
  • phoopes(?)
  • melanie uwu(?)
  • 5Dots(?)
  • BreakthrU89(?)
  • PumpedAaron(?)
  • Joltinjoe(?)
  • Hipmonlee (if not playing OU, iirc he plays this?)
I personally think this list could be a bit longer, but part of the issue with it is that a few of the "big" players are UU players that would be in high demand like Volk or Shellnuts. However, even with them taken away, I do think that you could get the minimum 6 and have it perform well. I think this tour should be treated as a chance to have NU players learn and establish themselves rather than see the established players do their thing.

You could possibly take a hint or two from the signups for the RoA Spotlight Tour back in 2020 before Venusaur rose, which is the tier's only recorded tour on Smogon; there are some names that we don't see here like Ruft, Sagisolar, and ViZar. Here's a screenshot of how that turned out;
1630353484492.png

------------------------

I think that retains would be a cool idea, if only to give the last teams an element of history. RBY is "the history generation" of sorts, no? I also like the idea of seeing Hayburner go for 10k rather than 20k like he said on Discord, let the teams get some stonks going kek

Also, definitely allow manager self-buys, it gives some nice flexibility and it didn't seem like anything was amiss last time.
i wanna play and manage moooooom ;~;

Last edited:

Lutra

Spreadsheeter by day, Random Ladderer by night.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Format-wise:

Adding RBY NU would definitely be better for diversity. RBY UU was the only non-ChanLax tier last time. The other way of looking at it is that replacing the RBY OU slot with something like Stadium OU, that's probably even closer than Ubers is to OU, would be more approachable to the majority of the players who would sub into the tier.

Retains:

Last time, we didn't have many managers signing up. I don't plan on being a manager this year, so possibly if there's not many returning managers, it might not make sense. I can't think of consistent rule of who gets the retains, I'd just do !shuffle twice on PS! I guess: one for old teams; one for new teams.

Managers & Assistant Managers as Players:

I think it's enjoyable battling as a manager. Takes some potential pressure off from being a helpless observer, and we might well be short of players again.

Format:

In my opinion, 3x RBY OU, 1 UU 1 Uber and 1 NU would be the best, because 4 OUs are a lot of slots and giving 1 slot to NU will give more diversity and I think there will be enough sign ups for it.

Retains:

Me and Nalorium are planning to be managers again, so i think the idea of retains is a very good idea and to be honest I don't think we are the only ones returning.

Managers & Assistant Managers as Players:

About this I agree with what lutra said, it's always more enjoyable playing when you are a captaing and not be reduced only to help your team.

Last edited:

EB0LA

Banned deucer.
I plan on returning again with the Ding Dang Dewgongs [3D] managing.

I like the idea of retains my 15+ roster from last year will be very handy. ;)

Next the tiers, I do like the idea of:
3x OU, 1x UU, 1x NU, 1x Ubers
Keeping it an even # is mandatory imo, which this is so that's good. Also just making a small note maybe one day if ever expanded to think of randbatts too, they have a super active niche player base that only plays gen 1 randbatts competitively.

Managers & Assmanagers is a tricky idea, I would not manage if I couldn't play most likely. However 15K buy-in for each slot is a tricky subject. Say your retain would cost over 15K why not just appoint them your assman, and you save some credits. Or nothing stops 2 top users from forming a team and going "cheap". How ever with 80K credits 15K/piece may be a fine price, as the most expensive players wouldn't go over 25K, but still may be a slight discount. Idk if there is a solution/better option for this. Perhaps assmans need to get drafted, and appointed? But this can cause issues by other teams upbidding assmanagers or smth like that or stealing them lul, but I suppose you can retain them then.

Also, are assmanagers retainable if not used as assmanagers? And how much would they then go for? 18K?

Last edited:

pac

pay 5000, gg?
is a Contributor Alumnus
I would like to show support for 3x RBY OU / 1x RBY UU / 1x RBY NU / 1x RBY Ubers.

I would play for both UU and NU.

Let both the Managers and Assmans play (what if we let the Boobmans play too?)

Idrc about retains.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
NU is definitely going to be the easiest tier for any late gen player to pick up. It is, by and large, very straightforward pokemon. It's mostly just damage, status, stat boosts, rest and the type chart. With a couple of tricks like fire spin and counter, which is a nice introduction to some of the foibles of RBY anyway. Since the best thing about this tournament is the way it helps new players learn I think NU is perfect for this tournament.

I believe it would be fun to include RBY NU in the upcoming RBYPL.
Therefore, I support the suggested format of 3 OU slots and 1 slot for each of RBY Ubers, RBY UU and RBY NU.
It's likely that I'll sign up to play for all tiers, with RBY OU and RBY UU as preferred tiers.

If you allow managers to play, it's certain that they will provide the community with high-quality games, so I'm all for it.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
NU is definitely going to be the easiest tier for any late gen player to pick up. It is, by and large, very straightforward pokemon. It's mostly just damage, status, stat boosts, rest and the type chart. With a couple of tricks like fire spin and counter, which is a nice introduction to some of the foibles of RBY anyway. Since the best thing about this tournament is the way it helps new players learn I think NU is perfect for this tournament.
I want to emphasise this, as I think RBY NU has potential to build a culture around being easy to pick up. Coupled with the back and forth between players and diverse teambuilding, the tier is very reminiscent of newgens. In fact, even right now, I've seen a couple of people from those communities peek in to pick it up and end up diving into the rest of RBY. Despite those qualities, there are many "this is RBY" elements like the dominance of Mr. Mime and mechanics that define how it plays, which has helped it get traction among RBYers as well. It really is just pure Pokemon and I see RBYPL as a good chance to try and "sell" the generation to those with a passing interest. It appeals to just about anyone, which is something OU and UU tend to struggle with doing. It's Pokemon in its purest and most primitive form.

If someone asks for help getting into RBY, we should probably respond with "Try NU".

Last edited:
+1 to 3 OU / 1 UU / 1 NU / 1 Ubers

Although I dream of a day when stadium can be here too.

Confirming I’ll play OU/Ubers

Idk much about the rest so do whatever y’all want

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Here is the projected ruleset for RBY PL II. If you would like to propose something else, do so by Saturday September 11 11:59 PM GMT-4. If there is no significant opposition by that time, we will go with this format and I will free Manager Signups.

Tiers: RBY OU / RBY OU / RBY OU / RBY UU / RBY NU / RBY Ubers
Note: I reserve the right to replace either RBY NU / RBY Ubers with another RBY OU slot if signups are very low

Retains: Retains in. Only players that were drafted last year may be retained. Retain price is RBY PL I Price + 3k or 10k (whichever is higher). See the OP for a more detailed breakdown. Up to 3 players can be retained. Priority for which teams get which retains is below.

1. If one of the manager / assistant manager duo managed a team last year, they will get those retains. Priority goes to manager.
2. For all new managers, you will request which team you would like retains from. If you are the only ones to request that team, you will get it. If multiple claim a single batch of retains, I will randomly pick on Pokemon Showdown. You may include up to three retain groups (in order) that you want.

Managers: Both managers and assistant managers will be allowed to play for a price of 15k. You must inform me who is self buying by the time player signups close.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)