RBY Tradebacks Suspect Debate - Parallel Thread

Sabelette

from the river to the sea
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Approved by phoopes and Enigami I think

Parallel thread for: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/on-rby-tradebacks-all-tiers.3718590/

What this thread is:
  • A place for unbadged users to discuss the arguments presented for and against a tradebacks suspect
  • A place to make new arguments for or against a tradebacks suspect
What this thread is not:
  • A place to debate VRs, tier lists, etc.
  • A place to argue about what's more "fun"
  • A place for unsubstantiated arguments
Please consider if your arguments are well-reasoned and if you have experience or results to back your post before making any big claims.

Teh

the saint
is a Pre-Contributor
Should we have stuck with the pre-2017 mechanic changes on the basis that they were different than what has always been played? Of course not. RBY has always been evolving and I don't see a need to keep a rule that only exists due to tradition. If I can legally obtain a move on cart without glitches, it should be allowed. It's the same logic behind letting Raichu have Surf, the only difference is that Raichu learms it in Pokémon Stadium. What makes transferring a move from GSC different than a move from Pokémon Stadium?

The way I see it the tradeback clause is a pure result of smogon burocracy at it's worse.
Normally in smogon bans and clauses happen because a move, ability or strategy:

1: Is too RNG-heavy, with evasion moves like Double Team being the biggest example
2: Is overcentralizing, like many mon bans on modern tiers or sleep clause
3: Is uncompetitive, such as stuff like the endless battle clause

Tradebacks doesn't fall into any of that (Lovely Kiss Lax is cute but definitely is not overcentralizing. Any argument about LKLax being the problem with TBs should be laughed out of the room). The **only** reason why Tradebacks still is on is because of inertia, the "it's been like this so long why change now" that is a part of burocracy-heavy systems.

TBs would never be banned if it was released today, so there is no reason to keep it. Tradebacks are as laughable as the idea of banning all ORAS mega stones simply because they would change the XY metagame.

Tradebacks would be alright. I don't think OU would change much. Wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.

I agree that allowing perfect DV's, but not allowing tradebacks, is hypocritical. Either force legal DV's and no tradebacks, or allow perfect DV's with tradebacks.

Honestly I'm in agreement about tradebacks DVs and I can live with LK lax even if it's a bit too funny for my tastes (It won't have that hard of a time incorporating it) but for me the argument comes down to if it's really needed or not and I would have to say no:

* Do we need to do UU's job for them instead of them switching from being (partially) trapped talking about wrap to talking about persian and hypno, no
* Do we need tradebacks to keep RBY from becoming stagnant, no, if it ain't broke don't fix it (and honestly RBY hasn't really been stagnant for a long while, real meta change takes longer but that's kind of expected when you've got only a handful of good mons)
* Do we need tradebacks to supplant RBY when it's clear from the initial response and the fact that it's seeing more and more play that it can stand on its own, no
The rest of the arguments (non-smogon guys banned it, I just think it's neat, etc) don't really hold much water to me

Also I wanna bring this up from the original thread
1. These moves are legally obtainable just as Stadium moves are - where are the complaints about Surf on Raichu and Amnesia on Golduck? The generation divide is a retrospective argument since at the time GS were potentially the last games and more of an expansion than a separate thing, and if we want to talk about 2023 then I’m not sure why this should be classified as different from getting special moves/abilities/mons by events, side games, apps like Pokémon Go, etc. IMO tradebacks legal should be the default unless banned by a majority for this reason.
If your second best argument (behind tradeback DV's, which I'll admit is a good point) is treating another mainline game, GSC, as a side game to RBY, you don't have that much of a case imo (and GSC isn't even an expansion, that honor goes to Yellow), if you want tradebacks to gain more popularity just host more tradebacks tournaments instead of piggybacking off RBY

Melanie goes boating

formerly Kale EO Trixiewagon
Double Edge Snorlax has been dominating GSC for two decades with a move exclusive from Gen 1 games and we allow GSC perfect DVs into gen 1. It's painfully non-sensical to not allow the last bridge between two gens that help each other for the better.

Pokémon is the only game i've seen where people are this reluctant to change for no reason. It's just the most adamant stubborness i've seen.

In my opinion TBs deserve at the very least a suspect test just by logical thinking. It just makes sense.

Sabelette

is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Honestly I'm in agreement about tradebacks DVs and I can live with LK lax even if it's a bit too funny for my tastes (It won't have that hard of a time incorporating it) but for me the argument comes down to if it's really needed or not and I would have to say no:

* Do we need to do UU's job for them instead of them switching from being (partially) trapped talking about wrap to talking about persian and hypno, no
* Do we need tradebacks to keep RBY from becoming stagnant, no, if it ain't broke don't fix it (and honestly RBY hasn't really been stagnant for a long while, real meta change takes longer but that's kind of expected when you've got only a handful of good mons)
* Do we need tradebacks to supplant RBY when it's clear from the initial response and the fact that it's seeing more and more play that it can stand on its own, no
The rest of the arguments (non-smogon guys banned it, I just think it's neat, etc) don't really hold much water to me

Also I wanna bring this up from the original thread

If your second best argument (behind tradeback DV's, which I'll admit is a good point) is treating another mainline game, GSC, as a side game to RBY, you don't have that much of a case imo (and GSC isn't even an expansion, that honor goes to Yellow), if you want tradebacks to gain more popularity just host more tradebacks tournaments instead of piggybacking off RBY
Nothing in this post actually addresses the arguments made and instead targets side points or strawman versions of the arguments.

1. Nobody is arguing to do this to fix UU. This has been brought up several times and has been debunked, this was never the argument. The argument was “what about lower tier stability” doesn’t apply because UU is not stable and that means nothing below it is stable either.

2. This is also not about whether RBY is stagnant. We do not ban or unban things for fun and freshness. This is also not even an argument about whether or not to legalize tradebacks, it’s about whether or not to finally give them the suspect test they never got in the first place to then decide whether or not they should even be legal.

3. I have no idea where on earth you get the idea that Tradebacks is being played “more and more” given it had the most dead tournaments of any RBY meta for 2022 and the channel for it was entirely dead till I made the Policy Review post. It was (still arguably is, but might pass Stadium now) by far the least played non OM aside from Nintendo Cup. I also have no idea what that has to do with whether or not it should be suspected.

4. “I just think it’s neat” has literally never been a relevant argument that anyone with any interest in due process for this has said.

5. I did not treat GSC as a “side game” to RBY, my argument was a lot more nuanced than that and you skipped over all of it to just strawman it into me saying GSC is not a real game or something. The point was “generations” are arbitrarily made up - according to Game Freak, Scarlet and Violet are Gen 10, not 9, so clearly the divide between 1 and 2 is arbitrary especially at the time of release when “gens” wouldn’t have even been a concept. If you say “new Pokémon = new gen” then LGPE is a gen because of Meltan and Melmetal, so is Legends, and so on. In literally every other case in Pokémon, if you can legally obtain the move in the game being played you can use it. Why not here?

6. None of this is about getting Tradebacks more attention or “piggybacking” and you’re again just attacking some made up point. Yet again, it’s about due process and the fact that this never got any test and remained banned for 20 years based on people saying stuff like Confuse Ray Starmie was broken. Did you even read the main thread or just make up something to get angry about?

I'd like to bring attention to these event pokemon:
https://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Crown_Beasts_to_be_available_over_Wi-Fi

This was a gen 4 event that happened after gen 5 had already started in japan. It gives Entei, Suicune and Raikou the move Extreme Speed. It also gives Raikou Weather Ball and Entei Flare Blitz.

I've seen people argument that once a new gen starts the old gen shouldn't get touched anymore moveset-wise however these legendary beasts give precedent for that not being the case. If an event that happened during gen 5 can affect gen 4 how come tradebacks also aren't legal by that same coin?

Of course this isn't a end-all-be-all argument that will shatter Tabs - nothing will - but it's another straw, and the more straw the closer things will be to breaking the camel's back and getting it unbanned. The banning of tradebacks is against all precedent and site policy and it deserves better

Sabelette

The idea of making tradebacks legal in a single tier is absolutely inane and the fact it got through a council vote shows inherent issues with the council and quite frankly the lower tier community itself. We either play RBY with tradebacks or we don't, we shouldn't let tiers pick. This is very clearly different than choosing to ban moves already present in the current ruleset. If I really have to explain the difference between banning sleep inducing moves and allowing moves from GSC there's really no point in trying.

Ubers, and every other lower tier should follow what the core tier does.
It was voted on by the Ubers council specifically under the premise that Ubers is supposed to be as unrestrictive a format as possible and to help pave the way for an all tiers suspect test since nobody wanted to actually push that forward. It succeeded in getting us to an all tiers suspect, so…

Sabelette

Edit: Phoopes said the council voted 3-1 to suspect, but only 3 people are listed as Ubers council members. Where did the 4th come from?
it’s me but i guess nobody announced it or updated the council thing. My vote didn’t matter fwiw, it went forward without me and i voted after everyone else had once i joined

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
not that it pertains to this thread specifically, but the councils are updated and I'll try to be better about updating that thread in the future, sorry

Tbh I'd probably vote in favour of tradebacks if we do suspect. Logically they shouldn't really be banned and even though I like RBY as is, getting in the way of something that makes sense because I like what I'm familiar with rubs me the wrong way. Not to mention that I have absolutely nothing against tradebacks anyway.

I thought the DPP Arc ban was stupid for the same reason, now I potentially find myself on the other side lol

So... what? I already heard the "haha we allow mews so we should just allow tradebacks". It's a lower tier, it follows what OU does. It's really just as simple as lower tiers follow what OU does and I doubt any serious OU player will see Ubers do this and want to copy it.
ubers does not and has not followed what ou does. for example, dynamax was banned in gen 8 ou but remained legal for a time in gen 8 ubers. i don't really see the difference between banning a pokemon and it being only usable in ubers vs banning something else and it only being usable in ubers

I do find it kinda silly how Ubers was barred from getting a tradebacks suspect on its own, to be fully honest.

I don't like how shiloh said no. I understand, they're the tiering admin and Phoopes intentionally seeked them out but I feel like for this kind of thing should come down to Phoopes, the RoA leader. This is not a issue that could have happened in any gen and the whole topic - unbanning stuff from older tiers that were banned when Smogon either wasn't a thing or wasn't as structured as it is right now - is less about tiering itself and more about the history and unique situations of the older metagames. I feel like this would be a much more reasonable call for Phoopes to make than anyone.

However we don't have all the information - Phoopes mentioned they'll let shiloh make a forum post explaining everything so I could be wildly off my mark here. If I am - sorry! - but I do think putting this feeling out there into words is necessary, even if it might be a bit off the mark. It just really rubbed me off the wrong way.

Imo, the main thing that needs to be thought about with TB's clause would not be "Remove it because it will spice up the metagame", metagames don't need change for the sake of change, especially when said meta is thriving.

The main concern with this is "Would it be healthy for the metagame, would the changes brought about by removing TB's clause genuinely improve the metagame and make it healthier, and make teambuilding less suffocating?"

The argument of "We should not keep something banned because its "always been that way" is valid, but the argument of "We should remove this ban just to remove it" is not valid, because removing a ban for the sake is not necessarily.

Although my opinion on TB's clause getting removed or not is still neutral. I do think it should get a suspect test to see if this genuinely makes the metagame healthier and less suffocating.

Honestly, pick a year to "imitate" and stick with it. Like "if it was possible in 98" logic. Makes things a lot easier to understand.
We can have tradeback DV's but not tradeback moves, seems a bit unintuitive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)