SS OU "Real men click u-turn": an all out pivot rain team peak 1825 for now

Hi all, it's Samallmighty! Today I'm producing you my new toy: a caveman style rain-team! The idea is really basic: spam hazards->click pivot moves-> clean up late game. Simple to understand yet difficult to master as you need to make some very agressive plays in order to keep the momentum versus certain builds. Before continuing, I'd like to thank Stellar Flares for recognizing the potential of this team after playing some matches vs me and helping me by making some fine tweaks. Without further ado, let's dwelve in the teambuilding process:

Edit: I usually don't save my achievements, I don't care about the ladder just about the fun of playing. However since some toxic people have been quite offensive in the comments, I have a proof of peak of 1797 for now until I climb back. Love you haters:

1615668330650.png

Note that Stellar Flares is also using the team and that he's usually in the 1900's so once again, that's very bad sorry for our noob level.

The Team:

1615666036486.png

Stand Atlantic (Pelipper) (F) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Surf
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Hurricane

Well, it's a rain team so pelipper is mandatory because we don't want to play politoed haha. More seriously, that set may look very uncommon and I'm still rather unsure about it. It's actually one of the adjustments made by Stellar Flares to this team. Originally, pelipper was invested fully in physical bulk because I like that bird and want to keep it alive a little bit so that I can have rain in the endgame for barraskewda eventually. As it turns out, denying the opponent from defogging or setting up too easily seems quite important as well, hence the focus on special attack. Surf is preferred instead of scald because the burn rarely ever comes out handy (and given my rng, I never have it anyways). Min speed is here so that we have a slow u-turn and potentially outslow tyranitar to keep our weather. Defog, though tempting because I have no hazard control in my team doesn't do much at all since pelipper can't defog safely vs many of the stealth rock users of the tier: even heatran and landorus-t deny the opportunity to do so with taunt and stone edge respectively. Hurricane is to avoid grasses coming in for free. Overall, this set looks like a mix between the standard defensive pelipper and choice specs: there is less power behind it but 7 turns of rain is way better than 4 and pelipper's goal is not really to wallbreak, just to not be setup fodder.

1615246761872.png

Whitesnake (Barraskewda) (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Close Combat
- Flip Turn
- Psychic Fangs

Barraskewda is the heart and soul of the team which was greatly made around it. The gist of it is to abuse flip turn to it's fullest by making win-win scenari as often as possible. When given a free switch vs a frail, weakened or water weak mon, flip turn is a no drawback play early game forcing the opponent to take serious chip damage while retaining momentum and potentially establishing a virtuous loop for us. Even without rain, barraskewda is still decently fast so you don't have to set the rain every time you want it to hit the field. But in the rain, barraskewda outspeeds absolutely everything bar Dragapult at +2 or some select setup sweepers boosted at +3 which is wishful thinking at that point. Hence barraskewda not only serves as a potent pivot and cleaner, it's also a powerful revenge killer that allows the team to not be 6-0 by many setup sweepers. Close combat is here because a good ferrothorn is a dead ferrothorn. Before cinderace ban, I had aqua jet instead of psychic fangs just to kill the bunny without taking 70% on sucker punch (or potentially 100% if banded). Now although it can't be bad to have another priority move, barraskewda is already extremely fast under rain, I have two absurdly powerful priority moves in the team and I feel like I need psychic fangs more. The main reason is not toxapex: yes it does 2hko it but it's only useful late game, early game even a brainless stall player will pivot out and regenerate almost all the damage done while you took chip damage from rocky helmet (which tells you how disgusting that thing is). No, the main reason is so that I do not get swept by hawlucha under screens. Psychic fangs secondary effect comes in very clutch in that particular instance.

1615247634358.png

Genesis (Mew) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Explosion

Every time I see comments about a rain team it's: "well, ferrothorn is mandatory". Don't get me wrong, ferrothorn is a great mon for sure but it just doesn't fit this particular build. Why that? because it's slow, passive and welcomes any defogger to come in and waste our hard work. Then why not other suicide leads like landorus-t or excadrill and the answer is spikes. Spikes is often even more important than stealth rocks because the targets we want to weaken are bulky grasses, waters and grounds which are generally hit much harder by the spikes. Taunt is here to prevent defog, setup or weird shenanigans. The player's ability to set up and then maintain hazard(s) is instrumental to this team's success as with all our pivot moves, the opponent will be forced to switch out a lot.

1615248759772.png

Cutting Crew (Scizor) (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Scizor is the heat of the team and I'll explain why. Think of the mon that is most likely to sweep a rain team almost entirely? Rillaboom. When it gets rid of ferrothorn via hazards and a well timed superpower, it then only has to click grassy surge to 6-0. Here comes our scisorhands! It totally flips the tables versus rillaboom, making it almost detrimental to the opponent as it is just a free u-turn for scizor. As he switches out into a fire or ground type, you'll most probably pivot into barraskewda and then proceed to click flip turn and that's a loop. The opponent can't get away without sacrificing a mon. If he sacks something else than rillaboom, scizor can reinitiate the loop vs it at every opportunity. But if the opponent realizes it and sacks rillaboom, then not only did I got rid of a potent sweeper and breaker but I paved the way for a sweep of my own with barraskewda. The same can be said about many some bulky grasses (tangrowth, zarude,...) and psychic (slowbro, slowking(g), ...) all of which are otherwise pretty problematic for the team. Bullet punch is a very strong priority. Knock off is nice for both utility and power. Superpower is here because a good ferrothorn is a dead ferrothorn.

1615249755589.png

Gorillaz (Rillaboom) (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Rillaboom is the third sweeper of the team. But just like barraswkewda and scizor, it's also a breaker and a pivot all in one package. Grassy glide is an absurd priority. Wood hammer breaks through fat cores. U-turn is here because real men click u-turn and superpower because a good ferrothorn is a dead ferrothorn. You can see a great offensive synergy here between the three sweepers breaking walls for each other. Additionally, although the primary goal of the team is to avoid switching into powerful attacks, it's nice to see the defensive synergy that rillaboom and scizor have with rain allowing for instance scizor to live a galarian slowking flamethrower from full if needed. Rillaboom is also generally very good under my rain but also versus opposing rain and sand.

1615250300452.png

AC/DC (Tapu Koko) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- U-turn
- Dazzling Gleam

This is the mon I'm the least sure about. One thing for sure though is that I need a decently fast electric type at least to keep the spirit of the team alive by adding yet another pivot. Joke aside, Tapu Koko's primary role is to threaten flying types with a strong volt switch. Remember, we want win-win scenari. You may wonder why threatening flying types is so important. Well, that's because most of the defensive flying types of the tier are... defoggers. And I want the hazards to stay otherwise Mew would have died in vain. Also worth noting is that most of these birds are roadblocks to the rest of my team: corviknight/skarmory and mandibuzz prevent a rillaboom sweep, tornadus-t makes use of my own rain, tapu fini (yeah, that one is not a bird but it doesn't like electricity either) is a check to barraskewda and zapdos is... reaaaaaally annoying. The choice for the electric type is hpwever up to debate. Originally it was zapdos because hurricane, despite the unreal miss chance outside of rain is a good spammable move which 2hkos every relevant ground type and Ohkos every faster ground type bar garchomp which survives by a thread and excadrill which takes very little at all. Hurricane is also very useful for threatening grass types and thus alleviate scizor's job with them. Thundurus-t is another option, having a bit of extra power and speed and a better ability for this team: volt absorb, letting it act as a check to electric mons most notably regieleki and zapdos which are extremely problematic. The drawback is that grass knot, while doing the job vs grounds is a horrible move to be locked into, which loses a lot of momentum and allow the opponent to pivot too easily. Both zapdos and thundurus-t are also weak to stealth rocks which is a big drawback for a pivot and changing the item to heavy duty boots makes their attacks less powerful. Tapu koko on the other hand is a decently faster than both zapdos and thundurus-t, hits harder with choice specs than them without or has better longevity than them with specs, still 2hkos every relevant ground type bar excadrill with dazzling gleam or u-turn out of it. In the end, the choice is yours.

Other options:

1615255281608.png
For the most part, urshifu rapid strike is an ersatz of barraskewda under rain: it's uncomparably slower, doesn't have flip turn, and takes an unbelievable amount of damage versus rocky helmet users. There is however one reason to consider it and that is... toxapex. Provided rain is set, stealth rocks or spikes are both up, and if there are exactly nine three quarter leprechauns dancing under a blue moon in your garden, an adamant urshifu has a 86.7% chance to 2hko toxapex and subsequently almost every stall mon in the opponent's team. Of course, it's a suboptimal choice compared to other team members but I hate stall in general and toxapex in particular sooooo much that I needed to at least mention it.

1615255889368.png
Often considered mainstream in rain teams, tornadus-t can efficiently check grass types all through the match with stab hurricane and regenerator. Apart from that though, I feel like he doesn't bring me enough: it can either serve me as a passable pivot with a weak u-turn or as a very gimmicky stallbreaker with a set hurricane+nasty plot+taunt+focus blast. Overall, I feel like scizor takes better advantage of grasses than tornadus-t does. It's also worth noting that the team appreciates more the strong priority in bullet punch than the extra speed since tapu koko and especially barraskewda under rain are already speed demons.

1615256430464.png
Defiant makes bisharp an interresting option in order to deter the use of defog. The problem is that most of the time I need to win the 50/50 in order to take advantage of the defog user. Outside of defiant and sucker punch, bisharp is slow, not exceptionnaly strong and not unbelievably bulky which makes it a bit hard to slap on this team.

1615256674858.png
Azumarill deserves fringe attention for several reasons: a belly drum set with aqua jet can on a very very good day sweep an unprepared team. But belly drum azu needs a great deal of support to set up properly and doesn't offer very much that barraskewda already does. There could have been an argument though for perish trapper azu because it sort of checks grass types and most importantly, it lures pex. That was until some pex players went with shed shell to avoid being trapped by heatran's magma storm...I'm never gonna find a decent solution versus toxapex...

1615257247464.png
Some people may consider regieleki for the electric type slot. It has a highest power and speed than any of the options I've tested. However, its inability to touch ground types while not threatening grasses makes me feel quite iffy about it, forcing me to overpredict yet again. I could benefit a bit from the rapid spin option, although it seems gimmicky, but the team doesn't benefit at all from dual screens since most of the time I click a pivot move and thus do not take any damage.

1615257840445.png
Magnezone is yet another possibility to trap annoying steels which both rillaboom and scizor would really appreciate. However, it's a lot slower than all of the other options and most importantly lost access to hidden power fire which prevents him from reliably trapping ferrothorn (he has to use iron defense+body press), the main reason why I'd take it in a rain team despite the fact that rain halves hp fire damage. I also find that between the hazards, the pivot moves, the potential fighting coverage lure and the lack of reliable recovery, ferrothorn isn't as much of a problem as vs other rain teams, making magnezone's niche less needed.

Threatlist:

1615252566453.png
As emphathised before, I need to play very agressively around defoggers such as corviknight, skarmory or mandibuzz

1615252718457.png
Banded weavile outspeeds and ohkos mew, denying me any hazards. It's always sad to start at 5-6...

1615252839087.png
Similarly to banded weavile, specs dragapult outspeeds and ohkos mew. Sub dd dragapult is also very threatening, forcing me to rk it with rillaboom and scizor double priority, usually taking down two of my mons while limiting the hazards laid.

1615253026414.png
Banded kartana outspeeds and ohkoes mew. It threatens to grab a kill every time it comes in. Not unmanageable but not a good sight by any means.

1615253206980.png
Zapdos has defog, is relatively difficult to kill, threatens all my team (bar thundurus if I choose to take it) and even when I manage to kill it with barraskewda, I get paralyzed by static... A true annoyance.

1615253395597.png
Offensive banded landorus-t only has 56% to ohko that with earthquake, life orb adamant excadrill has 6.3%, pivot tapu koko's thunderbolt doesn't come near. If you're a biased stall lover, you'll ask me how is that relevant, you only need a 2hko. But of course not. Of course not because it has regenerator. It can take any hit, cripple you with toxic, knock off or scald burn, pivot out and come in healthy again any time it wants. If you tell me it is passive, ok, fair enough, how do you set up vs that when it has haze and taunt users are nowhere to be seen. It's literally unkillable, not fun, thoroughly uncompetitive and needs to be banned as soon as possible. Not much you can do except praying that you have enough hazards to make flip/u-turning vs it a viable trade compared to the chip of rocky helmet. Psychic fangs is a clean 2hko and will catch the opponent offguard at some point. But don't rely on that, regenerator will destroy all your careful preparations. Most of the time, if you can't break the zapdos check that your opponent's team is carrying, you click x. #banpex

Closing thoughts: I'm really happy of this team, it brings me joy every time I play it and unlike cancer toxapex stall teams require skill to play it. I really feel like just playing it makes me a better player. Although I believe it's already a very good team as it is, I feel there's still room for improvement. If any of you has suggestion(s) to make it more efficient (particularly vs pex) feel free to do so!

Last edited:

Niko

is a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
Hi, I think that this team has a problem with his structure. The fact is that you're stacking powerful Choiced Volturners without something able to abuse the chip damages that your Volturn deals (a cleaner/finisher). So you risk to see yourself in a situation (not so rare, against a player able to make a good gameplan) where your whole team is chipped by residual damages (Hazards, Helmets, Traits such as Iron Barbs) and the opponent can easily sweep through them before you're able to break him. In other words, I think this team fishes in the wrong way. It's not a fish about the matchup but about your opponent capability of planning a way to win. This is why I believe this team won't get you anywhere over the ELO you already are at.

Even if I don't like the idea of so many Choiced Pokémons, I'll try to keep the original idea you had by only suggesting this switch:

Hawlucha>Rillaboom:
Hawlucha @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 116 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

This change gives you a powerful finisher also able to pass through Zapdos, which was a threat for the team, and I think it's good in general paired with Volturn, forcing the opponent to limit his switchins with Pokemons that are setup field for Lucha. Considering that the team is pretty weird, I'd like to know if you like it better with this change, because there might be more to change.

Hi, I think that this team has a problem with his structure. The fact is that you're stacking powerful Choiced Volturners without something able to abuse the chip damages that your Volturn deals (a cleaner/finisher). So you risk to see yourself in a situation (not so rare, against a player able to make a good gameplan) where your whole team is chipped by residual damages (Hazards, Helmets, Traits such as Iron Barbs) and the opponent can easily sweep through them before you're able to break him. In other words, I think this team fishes in the wrong way. It's not a fish about the matchup but about your opponent capability of planning a way to win. This is why I believe this team won't get you anywhere over the ELO you already are at.

Even if I don't like the idea of so many Choiced Pokémons, I'll try to keep the original idea you had by only suggesting this switch:

Hawlucha>Rillaboom:
Hawlucha @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 116 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

This change gives you a powerful finisher also able to pass through Zapdos, which was a threat for the team, and I think it's good in general paired with Volturn, forcing the opponent to limit his switchins with Pokemons that are setup field for Lucha. Considering that the team is pretty weird, I'd like to know if you like it better with this change, because there might be more to change.

Ok, so I actually have not one but three cleaners in barraskewda, rillaboom and scizor, unless you consider that barraskewda is slow and weak in the rain or that rillaboom's grassy glide or scizor's bullet punch are jokes. For my elo, just check my profile if you don't believe me, the account is samallmighty. Also, you can ask storm zone, I beat him twice with this team (one with zapdos' and koko's version) and I 5-0 stellar flares twice, so ok, I guess I'm bad but that's all I can do for now. This replay shows that I lied and that I'm actually below 1000 elo: https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-gen8ou-1298788105-mzicruw46dv9zdjxa8xq14a3mbe3awnpw. I'll try to climb back later. I do appreciate help a lot but do you realize that hawlucha only exacerbates the already inherent weaknesses of the team to pex and corviknight/skarmory? Hawlucha notably does nothing vs stall which I already struggle against. I find Rillaboom really useful versus many things, contrarily to hawlucha, he wallbreaks very efficiently with wood hammer, lures ferro with superpower while ferro would never switch on hawlucha thus never be ko by it early game, he actually has utility early game unlike hawlucha who only has one shot at his job. He also has a strong priority to act as a cleaner, he threatens bulky water types which I struggle against and notably is the only one in the team to threaten water+ground types that koko can't touch much like quagsire who hard walls hawlucha. As for luring zapdos, you definitely have a point, this thing is really annoying. The only concern I do have is that it relies heavily on stone edge not missing otherwise hawlucha is the one dead. Another key point to note is that hawlucha does lure zapdos but in the endgame, once the opposition has been long weakened and this is not what I want: I want zapdos to not be able to defog early game, one thing hawlucha can't prevent at all. I'm not saying hawlucha is bad by any means but to me it just doesn't suit the team as much as Rillaboom does. Also, if I replace Rillaboom, I should put an electric seed instead of a grassy seed, just saying.You also mentionned once I get chipped by hazard, I can get swept. Sure, anyone can. Now think of an offensive setup sweeper that can 6-0 the team? I'm still searching... Between barraskewda's speed under rain, scizor's bullet punch and rillaboom's grassy glide, I can say that offensive setup is very very difficult to pull out vs this team, making it one of his biggest assets. And that's assuming you can setup at all since none of the mons I use are exactly the definition of passive. I'm showing this to entertain you guys not to be flamed or called a liar. I only posted this because Stellar Flares told me it was heat and it was my duty to do so. If I had known I would have received such feedback, I would't have bothered. Sorry for the rather defensive tone but I needed to clarify some things. I'll gladly welcome the other suggestions you kept for yourself because, yes I do believe there might still be improvements. Anyways, thanks for the answer.

Last edited:
If i'm being honest, I dont see much synergy here. There are 4 choiced mons here, and this really limits you offensively. I'd suggest this over scizor:
Tornadus-Therian @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
I know you talked about Ferrothorn not fitting on this build, but honestly it has amazing recovery, can force great pressure on your opponents, and synergises with rain very well as a whole, so here's the set:
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed

Yeah, you're right, there's no synergy at all. The four choiced mons do absolutely nothing. I mean, with 3 of them, I click the pivot move 90% of the time, so I guess that doesn't make sense that I put a choice item on them. Also the pivot moves don't fit well with hazard spam since it doesn't force enough switches which is yet again a blatant sign there's no synergy at all in that team. Joke aside, your suggestions do make sense but I already discussed both. Ferrothorn is undeniably good, no argue about that, it's just that it's awfully passive and kills the momentum this team puts so much sweat to build. To put that into perspective, once you hit the field with ferro and the opponent switched to a breaker what do you do? Well, you set a layer of spikes and then sack something because this team most of the time has no switch-in to the threat. If I have to sack a mon each time ferro hits the field, I feel like I'm helping the opponent too much. Another thing to mention is that the set you pasted lacks stealth rocks, which I definitely don't want to completely dismiss because of the effort I put on pivot moves to keep the hazard damage racking. This leaves us with ferrothorn either forgoing one of his two offensive moves, making it even more passive or getting rid of his "amazing" recovery in leech seed, making it even less reliable at checking the threats it's supposed to. Tornadus-t is definitely an option I'm considering, that's why I put it in the "other options" section. For now though, I feel scizor brings a bit more to the table, with his strong u-turn+bullet punch, his typing and his ability to lure opposing ferrothorn. I'll retest it very soon though, it may be interresting. Thanks for the advices!

Nice, choice spam rain is the best. Ferrothorn overrated. I'm not sold on koko though.

You could consider thundurus in its place:

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder
- Focus Blast

Helps you vs fat if your spikes get cleared and gives some buffer against opposing voltswitch and zapdos. I guess it does make weavile smack you even more, but I'd rather beat zapdos.

Nice, choice spam rain is the best. Ferrothorn overrated. I'm not sold on koko though.

You could consider thundurus in its place:

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder
- Focus Blast

Helps you vs fat if your spikes get cleared and gives some buffer against opposing voltswitch and zapdos. I guess it does make weavile smack you even more, but I'd rather beat zapdos.
To be honest, neither am I. This spot is still very flexible as of now. I tried two thundurus-t sets before: first volt switch+thunder+grass knot+weather ball/nasty plot with boots. I finally dropped it for the reasons I mentionned before and because without focus blast, nasty plot alone often didn't enable me to stallbreak vs blissey (+2 thunder is not even a 2hko and that's assuming I don't miss if I'm not under rain). I never seriously considered focus blast because... it misses a lot but that's mandatory if I wanna stallbreak. Checking electric types in general and zapdos in particular is thundurus' main perk over the other electric options besides stallbreaking for your particular set. It does struggle to beat grounds one on one making u-turn essential for the set and thus doesn't really abuse a strong pivot move but that doesn't seem too bad since kitting ground types with u-turn grants barraskewda a free flip-turn which is often as good as a kill vs offensive builds. I'll definitely retest that with the set you mentionned. Thanks for the feedback and positive comment, I'm glad you like the team. See you around mate!

To be honest, neither am I. This spot is still very flexible as of now. I tried two thundurus-t sets before: first volt switch+thunder+grass knot+weather ball/nasty plot with boots. I finally dropped it for the reasons I mentionned before and because without focus blast, nasty plot alone often didn't enable me to stallbreak vs blissey (+2 thunder is not even a 2hko and that's assuming I don't miss if I'm not under rain). I never seriously considered focus blast because... it misses a lot but that's mandatory if I wanna stallbreak. Checking electric types in general and zapdos in particular is thundurus' main perk over the other electric options besides stallbreaking for your particular set. It does struggle to beat grounds one on one making u-turn essential for the set and thus doesn't really abuse a strong pivot move but that doesn't seem too bad since kitting ground types with u-turn grants barraskewda a free flip-turn which is often as good as a kill vs offensive builds. I'll definitely retest that with the set you mentionned. Thanks for the feedback and positive comment, I'm glad you like the team. See you around mate!
Also, I mentionned being weavile weak but that's basically only turn 1 since it threatens to begin at 5-6 with no hazards. Otherwise, if koko is on the team, all members of the team bar mew and pelipper can revenge kill it and scizor can even take an emergency hit if desperately needed. Zapdos on the other hand is huuuuuugely problematic so you're definitely right about threat priorities...

Yeah, you're right, there's no synergy at all. The four choiced mons do absolutely nothing. I mean, with 3 of them, I click the pivot move 90% of the time, so I guess that doesn't make sense that I put a choice item on them. Also the pivot moves don't fit well with hazard spam since it doesn't force enough switches which is yet again a blatant sign there's no synergy at all in that team. Joke aside, your suggestions do make sense but I already discussed both. Ferrothorn is undeniably good, no argue about that, it's just that it's awfully passive and kills the momentum this team puts so much sweat to build. To put that into perspective, once you hit the field with ferro and the opponent switched to a breaker what do you do? Well, you set a layer of spikes and then sack something because this team most of the time has no switch-in to the threat. If I have to sack a mon each time ferro hits the field, I feel like I'm helping the opponent too much. Another thing to mention is that the set you pasted lacks stealth rocks, which I definitely don't want to completely dismiss because of the effort I put on pivot moves to keep the hazard damage racking. This leaves us with ferrothorn either forgoing one of his two offensive moves, making it even more passive or getting rid of his "amazing" recovery in leech seed, making it even less reliable at checking the threats it's supposed to. Tornadus-t is definitely an option I'm considering, that's why I put it in the "other options" section. For now though, I feel scizor brings a bit more to the table, with his strong u-turn+bullet punch, his typing and his ability to lure opposing ferrothorn. I'll retest it very soon though, it may be interresting. Thanks for the advices!
bro, you posted on the RMT forum, where people, you know, rate teams? You have to be ready to receive criticism. No one is arguing your skill level or how good of a player you are. Simply pointing out potential flaws in the team. Don't be so sensitive.

bro, you posted on the RMT forum, where people, you know, rate teams? You have to be ready to receive criticism. No one is arguing your skill level or how good of a player you are. Simply pointing out potential flaws in the team. Don't be so sensitive.
Sorry if I overreacted, the only things I did take badly were the "this team has no synergy" and especially "I don't believe you, you're a liar" which were clearly questionning my already modest skills. The hawlucha suggestion was also particularly poor and uninformed, that's why I answered this way.

Last edited:

NA Weezing

Banned deucer.
Finally a team I can play without thinking.

Ok, so first of all I’d like to say that’s some great work there.

Using Mew > Ferrothorn is a good idea and speed up the hazard process so much it’s like playing an HO lmao.

About synergy, I indeed find there’s sometimes this very one moment when they killed mew and you want to set up the rain but you can’t because they also threaten it with the mon they used to kill Mew (eg specs pult).

That’s where I miss Ferrothorn but, in general, it’s even fine to let peli die just to get the rain and start the Volt turn process.

Those 7 turns of rain, thanks to hazards, are often sufficient to get important kills / cheaps you’ll need in the late game with barras.

What I find good about the « offensive » synergy is that the opponent can’t play smh :
If he goes Corvi, u clicked u turn and come back to Koko / thund, and guess what, you’ll click Vswitch / u turn again, and over again, until one mon die to hazards / Vturn damages and that's really fun to see.

Competitively speaking, this would definitely 6-0 particular MUs, and can overall handle any MU.
Though, you’re extremely weak to T Spikes (auto lose sometimes) / any Hazards can makes you feel bad on the long term by flip turning.

I guess that’s all I had to say.

I don’t know who between Koko zap and thund would fit the most, I feel all three offer particular options and could be used depending on the MU.

Finally a team I can play without thinking.

Ok, so first of all I’d like to say that’s some great work there.

Using Mew > Ferrothorn is a good idea and speed up the hazard process so much it’s like playing an HO lmao.

About synergy, I indeed find there’s sometimes this very one moment when they killed mew and you want to set up the rain but you can’t because they also threaten it with the mon they used to kill Mew (eg specs pult).

That’s where I miss Ferrothorn but, in general, it’s even fine to let peli die just to get the rain and start the Volt turn process.

Those 7 turns of rain, thanks to hazards, are often sufficient to get important kills / cheaps you’ll need in the late game with barras.

What I find good about the « offensive » synergy is that the opponent can’t play smh :
If he goes Corvi, u clicked u turn and come back to Koko / thund, and guess what, you’ll click Vswitch / u turn again, and over again, until one mon die to hazards / Vturn damages and that's really fun to see.

Competitively speaking, this would definitely 6-0 particular MUs, and can overall handle any MU.
Though, you’re extremely weak to T Spikes (auto lose sometimes) / any Hazards can makes you feel bad on the long term by flip turning.

I guess that’s all I had to say.

I don’t know who between Koko zap and thund would fit the most, I feel all three offer particular options and could be used depending on the MU.
Thanks a lot for the very clever and cheerful comments. Indeed, if something fast kills mew, I'm in big trouble if I can't revenge kill it properly with something else than Barraskewda. If I have to sack pelipper in order to bring Barraskewda in, that's like starting 4-6 (with Barraskewda being almost useless 7 turns later) with no hazards for the rest of the match, I can already surrender to be honest... It's even more problematic because it's not even a difficult choice to make for the opponent since most anti-mew leads are also good vs peliper which the opponent may believe to be our usual lead. All that I can say is trying to be flexible in terms of lead choice, it's a fast paced team, so it's not rare that I get myself in a winning or losing position within very few turns depending on a couple of good/bad predictions. One thing I'm currently trying to test is focus sash instead of mental herb on mew. It allows to lay at least one layer of hazards even vs the problematic leads (except this gimmicky beat up+king's rock weavile I've seen twice on the ladder and lost to it in a few turns both times because it flinched me and destroyed my momentum...) and it can allow a second layer vs powerful but slower wallbreakers. The obvious downside of that choice is that it allows a fast taunt lead like Tornadus-t, dual screen Tapu-koko, the rarer Grimmsnarl and opposing suicide lead mew to get an even better matchup. You're absolutely right about letting pelipper die; the seven turns of rain are sometimes enough in the endgame to sweep. Actually, the team isn't as much reliant on rain as one may think. It does indeed boost barraskewda's speed and stab moves, enable full accuracy thunders (and hurricanes) and alleviate scizor's and rillaboom's weaknesses to fire but barraskewda isn't the only wincon. Also, barraskewda being relatively fast outside of rain can do the job without pelipper early game if needed. For instance if I'm given a free switch via u-turn on a defensive landorus-t or heatran, I can go barraskewda without setting rain first with pelipper. The idea is not really to wallbreak straight away but to keep the momentum, which is, moreso than rain, the heart and soul of the team. You gave the example of a loop circuit that I frequently use. I can tell you it is extremely satisfying to pull out! The downside of it is, as you truthfully pointed out, most hazards hurt a lot... Not much I can do about it, I had defog on full def peli before but I realized that the only times I did click defog were games where I couldn't lay enough hazards of my own if any, thus games that were already lost, which is why Stellar Flares had I think the right idea when advising this admittedly weird set. I also can't fit a decent rapid spinner bar maybe regieleki instead of tapu koko but spinning with regieleki is a very clumsy operation to make and this team also would struggle to lure in ground types for it to be able to spam his electric stabs (I already have to predict a great deal with koko/thundurus-t/zapdos to tell the truth). Toxic spikes in particular is indeed extremely problematic. The good new is that by far the most common user of the move, the dreaded and hated toxapex, is carrying this move less and less in favor of scald, knock off, recover, haze, toxic and even sometimes infestation and baneful bunker. Surprisingly enough for a hyper offense team, sticky webs aren't as catastrophic: zapdos/thundurus-t is immune to it, scizor and rillaboom's offensive prowess rely on their priority move and barraskewda is so fast under rain that even with the sticky webs, it still outspeeds the whole unboosted metagame and many threats at +1 speed. But other than that, yeah, hazards are all a death toll alas. As for matchups, I have the feeling that it can, on a very good day, win almost every matchup with prediction and no bad luck. There are threatening things but almost nothing 6-0 me from start. Hyper offense is probably the most favorable matchup with the combination of speed, fast hazard spam and momentum that the team provides. Opposing rain is notably good since, although I don't have ferrothorn to act as a roadblock to their threats, their own is often overwhelmed by all the breakers and once that's done, rillaboom has an easy time cleaning with grassy glide. The balance matchup really depends on what's there. Stall is rather unfavorable but most of the time that's not unmanageable if I can make the hazards stay. Since these teams are so passive, infinite loops are also quite frequent there (although, if not enough hazards are laid, some specific regenerator cores can pp wash or rocky helmet chip me infinitely...). Sorry for the long message and thank you very much for your comment!

• Wow
Reactions: DKM
i gotta say that this team is perfect for my play style even tho its hard if you play it right you could win most of the time but if i make a single dumb mistake i would lose. the only problem is that the start of the game is important since its determine if you win or lose overall i love this team

i gotta say that this team is perfect for my play style even tho its hard if you play it right you could win most of the time but if i make a single dumb mistake i would lose. the only problem is that the start of the game is important since its determine if you win or lose overall i love this team
Yeah, exactly... Sometimes it's not even a mistake but a 50/50 guess that you win or lose... High risk, high reward. Thanks a lot for the kind words!

Hi again

I bumped into two people (maybe the same one) who were using this team on ladder. Admittedly, I was using a jellicent, but that + an offensive buzzlewole let me nearly 6-0 the team. I would imagine this team would have serious troubl vs a more defensively inclined buzzwole the moment koko is gone.

Separately, to address some of your stated challenges with pex, here are a few pokemon I've found good on rain that help beat it:
  • Banded swampert. Gives you a check (not counter) to most electrics and just blasts pex with EQ or high horsepower. Torrent flip turn is stronger than barraskewda and together they can cycle.
  • Specs volcanion. Click steam eruption and 2kho anything not named slowking
  • Qwilfish -- SD/poison jab/explosion/liquidation. Click SD and click boom. I run this as the swift swimmer, so you probably don't want to use it on this team

Hi again

I bumped into two people (maybe the same one) who were using this team on ladder. Admittedly, I was using a jellicent, but that + an offensive buzzlewole let me nearly 6-0 the team. I would imagine this team would have serious troubl vs a more defensively inclined buzzwole the moment koko is gone.

Separately, to address some of your stated challenges with pex, here are a few pokemon I've found good on rain that help beat it:
  • Banded swampert. Gives you a check (not counter) to most electrics and just blasts pex with EQ or high horsepower. Torrent flip turn is stronger than barraskewda and together they can cycle.
  • Specs volcanion. Click steam eruption and 2kho anything not named slowking
  • Qwilfish -- SD/poison jab/explosion/liquidation. Click SD and click boom. I run this as the swift swimmer, so you probably don't want to use it on this team
Oh? Have I gained worshippers already? Very nice to hear! SO far, I've never encountered my own team, only cringetopia's version of rain which is really good but have a slightly unfavorable matchup vs this team. Yeah, water absorb mons like jellicent, seismitoad, vaporeon and especially gastrodon although rarer now than before dracovish's ban will remain the bane of rain teams for a long time. Buzzwole has also a very good matchup vs this team, no doubt about it, it sets up on rillaboom and scizor easily and is a bit hard to revenge kill from full, especially if hidden behind a sub. I like very much your suggestions. Qwilfish is an old friend of mine from early gen 7, it requires heavy prediction, is very frail but I love him anyways ^^! Probably not a wise pick indeed but a fun one for sure. I had a version of this team with a swampert, but it was the defensive set actually. I'm a bit puzzled by the set you mention as I'm not really sure why pex would switch in on this, let alone helping me to 2Hko it. The electric check is really apreciated but if I really feel like I need it, I'd probably go for thundurus-t instead of koko and call it a day. Banded flip turn is very strong indeed but I don't feel I can cycle it with barraskewda as you mentionned since the opponent will probably switch into the water resist on either barraskewda or swampert making the role a bit redundant. I must say though that I like the fact that you tried to keep the spirit of the team alive, welcome fellow flip turn follower! Last but not least, specs volcanion is heat! I really love it. I must say that I really underestimated that thing! If rain is up, even blissey and pex are 2hkoed by that monster! I think a parallel can be drawn between volcanion and urshifu-rapid strike. Both are incredible breakers, 2hkoing everything not immune to their stab move bar slowking and slowbro respectively. Over the two, I think slowking is a bit more manageable since it's taken advantage by scizor moreso than his twin, do not chip him with rocky helmet damage and can't take a banded u-turn. Volcanion has noticeably more bulk but is also vulnerable to rocks instead of resisting them (unless we go for boots which completely kills the set by making it unable to achieve any 2hko). The biggest advantage urshifu has over volcanion is the speed. While one may think of surging strikes side effects as a bonus can also be a demise: on one hand, it enables to revenge kill boosted threats, threats behind a substitue or focus sashes but on the other hand it's also very easily worn down by rocky helmet, iron barbs and rough skin. Steam eruption has the little drawback to not be fully accurate but it also has a nifty burn chance. Finally, urshifu's ability is situational while volcanion's is invaluable for this team (and he could actually tear huge holes to rain teams like this one while checking prominent threats). The only thing I don't really like about both is steam eruption's and surging strikes' low pp, which is a bit problematic for stall killers like them. But, well, since they 2hko almost everything anyways, I guess that's not as big of an issue as one may think. A very educated advise, I like it so much! Thanks a lot friend!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)