Real Prowess - Mega Mawile RMT (Peaked 1700+)

Yo, how's it going everybody? Hobo here, back again with another RMT on the Smogon Forums. Today we've got a nice little team i came up with that's had some pretty good success. It's featured around Mega Mawile, a powerful wall breaker that doesn't disappoint. As always, this team is not final and is open to any suggestions you see fit. Thanks!

I started off with Mega Mawile. I knew that Mega Charizard Y and Landorus-T would give it trouble, so i wanted a fast, special attacking partner with a lot of raw power. Keldeo was one of the first things that came to mind. With a powerful specs hydro pump, Keldeo easily ohkoes Landorus, but comes just short on Mega Zard Y in the sun. Disappointing

Because Keldo failed to ohko Mega Zard Y, i decided to replace him with Deoxys-S. A powerful revenge killer, he can take care of Landorus, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Venusaur, Mega Charizard X, and Heatran. With my wall breaker and revenge killer in place, i wanted a set-up sweeper that could rip through teams with ease. He needed to synergize with Mega Mawile and have some decent natural bulk.

The decision was quite easy. Not only is Dragonite one of my favorite Pokemon, he also has one of the easiest times setting up in the entire tier, possibly only matched by Mega Charizard X. Besides just ripping through entire teams, he also synergizes very nicely with Mega Mawile. Dragonite is immune to ground and resists fire, while Mega Mawile is immune to dragon and resists rock and ice. Perfect, the core was finally complete.

With relatively sub-par special bulk across the board and no form of recovery, I knew that we desperately needed a cleric. With Umbreon and Vaporeon being unviable in OU, my only two options were Chansey and Sylveon. I didn't want to have multiple fairies on one team, (lol) so i decided to go with Chansey. I didn't mind, as she sports the superior bulk.

Next, I wanted a defogger that was physically bulky and resisted Chansey's Weakness. Coincidentally, I have used Zapdos on the last 3 teams i have built, but he's just that good. With amazing natural bulk, Zapdos can easily get off that crucial defog or take out that annoying set-up sweeper.

After messing around with the original 5 members, I quickly realized that Mega Charizard X could run through this team if Deoxys-S fails to get off a Psycho Boost. My solution: a little beauty known as Unaware Quagsire. With one of the coolest abilities in the game, Quagsire can check many physical set up sweepers and stop them in their tracks. He's a crucial part of the team with great synergy and the strength to hold us together.

Mawile (M) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 116 HP / 140 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch

I decided to go with the sub/punch set for Mega Mawile. I found that while running Iron Head + SD, he loses his longevity due to awful speed and the amount of Pokemon that could wall his dual stab. The point of this set is to substitute on their switch, and then react accordingly behind a free shield. I can't tell you how many Heatrans and Ferrothorns I have OHKOed with Focus Punch. Play Rough is great stab and hits dragons as well as the annoying Mandibuzz. Sucker Punch is great for priority and hits like a ton of bricks. 140 speed allows me to beat shadow sneak Aegislash as well as Sylveon.

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 816-962 (115.9 - 136.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 588-692 (152.3 - 179.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 368-434 (104.5 - 123.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Deoxys-Speed @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 16 Atk / 240 Spd / 252 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rocks

Deoxys-S is my main counter to Mega Venusaur, Landorus-T, and Mega Charizard Y. He is a powerful revenge killer and has one of my favorite designs overall. Psycho Boost is for powerful stab and killing Mega Saur. Superpower is coverage for Dark and Steel Types. Ice beam is for revenge killing Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Thundurus. Stealth Rocks>Rock Slide was suggested to me by Nog, so props to you buddy! This allows me to ruin my opponents momentum as well as cripple Mega Zard Y. I badly needed hazards on this team as it is nice to break sashes and pick up close KOes.

Dragonite (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Dragonite is the original bad ass. I mean my God, they gave this gentle giant his own type! Anyway, this set is basically designed to come in, set up, and rip apart the opposing team. Weakness policy is for a quick boost with multiscale, although Lum berry works here as well. Dragon Claw>Outrage as it is WAY too dangerous to be locked in these days and the difference in damage isn't really that significant. Earthquake is for spamming on all those who resist his mighty Dragon Stab and extreme speed for strong priority.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell

Chansey is one of the most bulky pokemon in the entire meta game. With amazing special defense and great defense, thanks to eviolite, she can easily wall almost any special attacker. Imo, Chansey is the premier cleric. Because she has such a high hp stat, her wish will almost fully heal any member of my team. Toxic for stalling, Wish/Soft-Boiled for constant recovery, and heal bell to clear away those nasty statuses.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 8 SAtk / 248 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

I swear, this thing invented the phrase "eating it ap!" A solid check to any physical attack, especially fighting, Zapdos can easily switch in and get off an easy defog or hit hard with a stab discharge. Discharge>T-bolt is definitely worth it in my opinion because it has 30% chance to paralyze at the cost of a mere 10 bp. Zapdos is amazing for taking on Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, and Scizor, making him key to the team's longevity. This is a defensive set so discharge and heat wave wont be doing as much as they could, but they definitely get by.

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Lax Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Haze
- Recover

It's Quagsire! I love this little guy's design. But don't let his good looks and masculine charm fool you, he is one tough cookie. Quagsire is my main counter to set-up sweepers such as SD Garchomp, Mega Zard X, Gyarados, and more. Scald for burn hax, EQ to 2hko Mega Zard X, haze to ruin stat boosts and recover to keep that health up.

252 Atk Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 105-124 (26.6 - 31.4%) -- 24.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 136-162 (34.5 - 41.1%) -- 64.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 132-156 (33.5 - 39.5%) -- 17.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

So yeah, here's the team guys! I know its not perfect atm, but thats why i posted it here. Any critique or suggestions you have would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Mawile (M) @ Mawilite
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

Deoxys-Speed @ Life Orb
EVs: 16 Atk / 252 SAtk / 240 Spd
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Lax Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Haze
- Recover

Last edited:
Hey Hobojoe28, I am really liking the amount of things this team checks and counters. As far as play style goes this team is awkwardly in the middle of bulky offense and stall but whatever. Not many weaknesses so my job is now to tweak your sets a bit:

Mawile (M) @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 Atk / 116 HP / 140 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch

Fingerscrossed already explained the reasoning behind the EV change, but it wasn't updated in the importable so I'm highlighting it here.

EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

The only EV change I made was dropping 4 HP for 4 SDef in order to take 1% less from Stealth Rocks which can be huge late game. The second change I made was Outrage to Dragon Claw because you getting locked into Outrage in this meta really sucks. Fairies and Foul Play are everywhere and you will get popped because of it. Assuming you come in on something you force out you can get a DD off and they hit you with a SE move that doesn't KO you. Now you are at +3 Atk and +1 Spd, you really don't need the extra power from Outrage because Dragon Claw will OHKO a great many things.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Wish
- Soft Boiled
- Heal Bell

Wish and Protect is becoming a thing of the past unfortunately simply because in this day and age Wish and Soft Boiled combined are just so much better. Because you are bulky (understatement of the century) on both sides of the spectrum, you can simply Soft Boiled of people's faces as well as having the option to Wish pass to a teammate.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 8 SAtk / 248 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

Using Cienight's set I see, very nice so nothing needs to be changed. Also I don't know that he came up with it, but he is the only one I see using it.

Deoxys-Speed @ Life Orb
EVs: 16 Atk / 252 Spd / 240 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

NO HAZARDS ?_? Seriously though, get some hazards...now. Swap out Rock Slide for Stealth Rocks in order to have some sort of hazards on the team and because Rock Slide is pretty useless (I can read so I know it's for Charizard). Honestly after SR damage a STAB Psycho Boost should kill it so no reason to run Rock Slide. 16 Atk EVs gets the job done just fine and EVs should be taken out of SAtk not Speed.

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Lax Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Haze
- Recover

The based lord himself has finally arrived. This Quagsire set is glorious so no work needs to be done.

After you make the changes that I suggested, if you do at all, the team should run smoother than ever. Good luck and PM me if you need anything else n_n

Thanks for the rate Nog! I really appreciate your support on my team and love what you did with the sets! I will surely be changing them as I want things to be running as smoothly as possible, although i can't make the changes until i get home as i am typing this on my phone :) So thanks again, nice to get some feedback instead of just views!

I'd say consider Thunder Wave over Toxic on Chansey. Just because Thunder Wave is really the more debilitating status condition in this fast paced setup sweeper metagame. Just something to mull over. It's hard to nitpick this team as it's so good. I guess you could try Knock Off instead of Sucker Punch, but Chansey is destroyed by Focus Punch, and Sucker Punch is awesome utility.

You could also try Fire Punch over Earthquake on Dragonite but that's more of a personal thing.

Well hope I helped you, buddy. This is Avarice by the way.

I'd say consider Thunder Wave over Toxic on Chansey. Just because Thunder Wave is really the more debilitating status condition in this fast paced setup sweeper metagame. Just something to mull over. It's hard to nitpick this team as it's so good. I guess you could try Knock Off instead of Sucker Punch, but Chansey is destroyed by Focus Punch, and Sucker Punch is awesome utility.

You could also try Fire Punch over Earthquake on Dragonite but that's more of a personal thing.

Well hope I helped you, buddy. This is Avarice by the way.
Thanks for the rate Ava! Appreciate your suggestions and input as always. I really thought over t-wave>toxic on chansey but i decided to keep toxic. This is because discharge on Zapdos can generally do the same thing and toxic is amazing when combined with rocks for beating stall. T-wave however is always an amazing utility, however i already check most of the potent sweepers in OU so the extra para hax isn't crucial. Fire Punch>EQ Dragonite is always good and i have really thought about this change as well to deal with skarm during my sweeps, but i decided that already having heat wave on zapdos was enough. I needed a strong EQ spammer to counter heatran most notably.

Again, thank you for your kind words and input, I appreciate it :)

Just wanted to point out that Quagsire can't reliably stop mega gyarados, as mold breaker ignores unaware, so Mega Gyarados keeps its boosts in calcs, but as long as you make sure it isn't at +2, Zapdos and Quagsire should be able to take care of it, so haze was definitely a good choice. I also definitely second changing toxic to t-wave, as this helps stop chansey from being complete set up fodder. Also wanted to second using dragon claw over outrage on Dnite, as being stuck on outrage lets stuff like azumarill, mega mawile, and Clefable set up on you after you kill something, and also the fact that you are using weakness policy, you don't want to have to switch out because of confusion when you have a +3 boost, and a confusion hit at +3 will hurt a lot.

Just wanted to point out that Quagsire can't reliably stop mega gyarados, as mold breaker ignores unaware, so Mega Gyarados keeps its boosts in calcs, but as long as you make sure it isn't at +2, Zapdos and Quagsire should be able to take care of it, so haze was definitely a good choice. I also definitely second changing toxic to t-wave, as this helps stop chansey from being complete set up fodder. Also wanted to second using dragon claw over outrage on Dnite, as being stuck on outrage lets stuff like azumarill, mega mawile, and Clefable set up on you after you kill something, and also the fact that you are using weakness policy, you don't want to have to switch out because of confusion when you have a +3 boost, and a confusion hit at +3 will hurt a lot.
Thanks for the comment jg1198! Forgot about mold breaker on Mega Dos, thats a great catch. Quagsire still does a nice job with scald + haze, but just in case something goes wrong, Zapdos is wating in the background.

+3 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Ice Fang vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos: 354-418 (92.4 - 109.1%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

I have altered the Dnite set so that's all taken care of as well. I will also further consider t-wave chansey as the perks definitely sound amazing but its just gonna be preference from there. Since 2 people have now recommend it, I may have to test it out. Thanks!

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
Sup Hobojoe, nice balance you got going here. The biggest threat to your team right now, it seems, is Mega Heracross, who can OHKO everything bar Zapdos (Rock Blast can do up to 99%, assuming no crits) easily. Keldeo's also huge, as the Specs set is capable of OHKOing almost everything (Chansey being the only one who can survive a hit, and it does very little back) after Rocks. Of course, I come with suggestions =]. Firstly, I agree with changing Toxic to Thunder Wave on Chansey; it can punish set-up sweepers who think they just got a free turn. Next, I'd suggest a double swap: Dragonite for Latios and Deoxys-S for Choice Scarf Landorus-T. Unboosted Latios hits much harder than Dragonite, and while WP is nifty, I find it to be extremely matchup-based. Another bonus of Latios over Dragonite is that Rocks become much less threatening, meaning your Zapdos can breathe a bit easier. All of this is accompanied with a fairly solid Keldeo switch-in. As for Scarf Landorus-T, it performs a similar function to Deo-S in that its primary use will be revenge killing. The reason I suggest Landorus-T is because it brings so much to the team-Edgequake coverage, instant momentum in U-turn, and an ability that makes your defensive core's life much easier. Most importantly, it takes hits from Banded Terrakion and Mega Heracross fairly well.
Sets:
Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf/Hidden Power Fire
- Roost

Landorus-T @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Note that Scarf Terrakion can also work pretty well in Lando-T's place as a more offensive option, if you prefer.
Good luck man =]
Oh, and I have this all saved and can give it to you if a certain anal mod deletes this for whatever reason.

Sup Hobojoe, nice balance you got going here. The biggest threat to your team right now, it seems, is Mega Heracross, who can OHKO everything bar Zapdos (Rock Blast can do up to 99%, assuming no crits) easily. Keldeo's also huge, as the Specs set is capable of OHKOing almost everything (Chansey being the only one who can survive a hit, and it does very little back) after Rocks. Of course, I come with suggestions =]. Firstly, I agree with changing Toxic to Thunder Wave on Chansey; it can punish set-up sweepers who think they just got a free turn. Next, I'd suggest a double swap: Dragonite for Latios and Deoxys-S for Choice Scarf Landorus-T. Unboosted Latios hits much harder than Dragonite, and while WP is nifty, I find it to be extremely matchup-based. Another bonus of Latios over Dragonite is that Rocks become much less threatening, meaning your Zapdos can breathe a bit easier. All of this is accompanied with a fairly solid Keldeo switch-in. As for Scarf Landorus-T, it performs a similar function to Deo-S in that its primary use will be revenge killing. The reason I suggest Landorus-T is because it brings so much to the team-Edgequake coverage, instant momentum in U-turn, and an ability that makes your defensive core's life much easier. Most importantly, it takes hits from Banded Terrakion and Mega Heracross fairly well.
Sets:
Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf/Hidden Power Fire
- Roost

Landorus-T @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Note that Scarf Terrakion can also work pretty well in Lando-T's place as a more offensive option, if you prefer.
Good luck man =]
Oh, and I have this all saved and can give it to you if a certain anal mod deletes this for whatever reason.
Thanks for the rate Seevea! Hmm, interesting stuff as always. Mega Hera could definitely do some nice damage, however I do have Deo-S to revenge kill if needed. I would take more pre-caution to him if it was more common but for right now no. Keldeo, on the other hand, has been the one real bane of this team. Usually it takes some careful predicting with Zapdos and Chansey which is never fun :P Swapping Deo-S for Latios and D-nite for scarfed Lando-T definitely sounds intriguing. Both have pros and cons.

Pros of current team: Deo-S allows me to revenge kill Scarfed Chomp as well as landorus I/T, and Tyranitar. It also allows me to ohko mega venusaur who completely walls Mega Mawile. He also is my hazard setter. Dragonite is a great sweeper and provides amazing late game pressure.

Pros and Cons of Rated Version: Latios can fill the same role as Deo-S with Psyshock and Surf to hit landos' and Mega Saur. However, he can't touch Ttar and doesn't set up rocks.

Scarfed Lando-T is awesome to hit Ttar and gain momentum with u-turn. Being able to utilize knock off is also a huge plus to any team. Edge/quake was definitely needed on the team as well if Dnite was to be replaced.

To review: Both have pros and cons. I definitely want to test out Lando-T + Latios>Dragonite + Deo-S to see how it goes. It sounds very promising.

Thanks for the rate + the laugh man! Appreciate it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)