Real-world territories that will never be Pokemon regions

View attachment 572272

I was looking for an excuse to procrastinate, so I put together something quick in MS Paint. Obviously you'd scramble the names, make it more generic etc.

There are 6 biomes - temperate/Mediterranean (light green), rainforest (dark green), steppe (orange), desert (yellow), mountains (brown) and glacial (grey). There are also plenty of other geographical/historical landmarks (a marsh, a woodland, a waterfall, a ruin, a spring, a cave, several mountains and a mountain pass, a salt and a normal lake, a major river and a dam, royal tombs in Amasya, fairy chimneys in Cappadocia, an ancient monastery, rainforest/meadow in Rize for Safari Zone). You could have part of the steppe zone (e.g. Yozgat) be nomadic, with tents as the local architecture. Dubai would be a technofuturistic rich city after crossing the desert and two/three ancient Mesopotamian cities.

You'd start in Antioch, gather 6 badges in Anatolia (maybe Mersin-Antalya-Izmir-Ankara-Trabzon-Erzurum, roughly clockwise). You get the version legendary in Lake Van, probably a dragon of some sort (Lake Van monster is a thing in Turkish/Kurdish/Armenian folklore, like Loch Ness monster). Then go back to your hometown in Antioch, cross the desert and follow the Tigris down to the coast to go to Dubai (maybe a water-related subquest along the river/dam?), getting your 7th badge. Bolu Pass would be a sort of Victory Road, allowing you to come to Istanbul and get your 8th badge, then move on to Elite 4 in Edirne. Troy and Mt Ararat unlock post-game as legendary locations. The orange-dotted Aegean Islands open up as an end-game sidequest a la Sevii Islands, and Cyprus is the Battle Frontier. You could even extend the Aegean to Athens, or add a route south to Egypt as DLC.
It was probably not intentional but I do like the concept of starting in Antioch as that was the city where Christians were first called Christians.

The Eastern Mediterranean could use some Pokemon love.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)