Approved Record pre-mega abilities in moveset stats

Just about every Pokemon fansite can already tell me that 100% of mega Gyaradoses have mold breaker. What I want to know is how many of them had intimidate before mega evolving. If the problem is that people select mega Pokemon in the teambuilder, can the team validator force them to pick a pre-mega ability?

(by the way I've never posted a thread before despite having posted a thousand replies. I hope this goes okay)

Last edited:

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Being able to start as a mega forme in the teambuilder is a sheer convenience aspect in order to allow the player to see the base stats of that mega forme instead of the base one. I assume the validator then simply chooses the first non-hidden ability when reverting that Pokemon to its base forme to initialize a regular battle. Of course, it is possible to specify the pre-mega ability from the mega's list of abilities; it shows the base forme's ability set, so you can explicitly choose something useful like Limber pre-mega Lopunny.
As far as I can tell, these pre-mega abilities on mega formes aren't tracked in usage or otherwise go towards the base forme's usage. The same, I believe, applies if the person making their team actually chooses something like base Gyarados and separately equips a mega stone—this will still go towards regular Gyarados's ability usage stats.

Being able to start as a mega forme in the teambuilder is a sheer convenience aspect in order to allow the player to see the base stats of that mega forme instead of the base one. I assume the validator then simply chooses the first non-hidden ability when reverting that Pokemon to its base forme to initialize a regular battle. Of course, it is possible to specify the pre-mega ability from the mega's list of abilities; it shows the base forme's ability set, so you can explicitly choose something useful like Limber pre-mega Lopunny.
In that case, I think the team validator should do an ability check on every mega Pokemon and say stuff like, "<Pokemon> can't have <ability> before mega evolving." instead of automatically giving it the first pre-mega ability.
As far as I can tell, these pre-mega abilities on mega formes aren't tracked in usage or otherwise go towards the base forme's usage. The same, I believe, applies if the person making their team actually chooses something like base Gyarados and separately equips a mega stone—will still go towards regular Gyarados's ability usage stats.
I'm almost certain this is wrong. If it was true, then I would have seen mega stones in non-mega Pokemons' usage stats.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
I'm almost certain this is wrong. If it was true, then I would have seen mega stones in non-mega Pokemons' usage stats.
I imagine these are chalked under the "Other" category of used items due to how few people use that method.

Last month, mega Lopunny outnumbered base form Lopunny at least 9007 times. If base forms holding mega stones really count towards the base form's usage, then less than 1/9007 people use base forms holding mega stones. Based clicking and reading random pokepastes on this forum, I don't think that's right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)