Non-Pokébank OU Redemption (update: peaked 1817 Elo, 81.1% GXE, #6)

REDEMPTION: An original Gen 7 OU RMT

Hello all, welcome to the first team I've ever built that has actually made it to high ladder. I'm pretty proud of this one, but obviously no team is perfect and I would certainly love to hear any and all suggestions that you guys have for me. Below is my team-building process, but if you'd like to jump ahead to the finalized team you certainly can.

I knew I wanted to build around Mega-Metagross because it's my favorite Pokemon and is honestly one of the best mons in OU right now. Gen 7's mega evolution mechanics blessed it with 110 base speed right off the bat, and its steel typing is a godsend in a metagame with so many powerful new fairy types.

Next, I added gyarados as a set-up sweeper that could deal with fire and ground types that could give metagross trouble, and mamoswine as a reliable stealth rock setter (lycanroc never did the trick for me)

After that, I sort of started experimenting with fast, powerful attackers and attempted to make them work. Tapu Koko could deal with water types that annoyed the team, pheromosa (scarf) was a great revenge killer, and ash-greninja was another offensive nuke pokemon.

At this point, I knew I had to revise. I was auto-losing to mega-scizor, and opposing ash-greninja was incredibly difficult to even revenge-kill (phero dies to water shruiken in ash-form). I therefore changed Tapu Koko to magnezone, and pheromosa to hydreigon.

Lastly, I realized that ash-greninja didn't provide much utility to my team other than hitting very hard, which several other members could already do, plus its typing compounded too many weaknesses with other members. I also realized that my suicide lead probably deserved a spinblocker, I missed having a fairy type to complete my dragon/steel/fairy core, I wanted a fun z move to experiment with, and I could use an all-around check to many threatening offensive Pokemon in the tier. Enter: mimikyu.

Team Members:

Chewbecca (Mamoswine) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Mamoswine is my designated lead vs almost anything except mega-sableye. Stealth rocks are mandatory on any team. Dual stab allows it to deal good damage to other leads before it goes down. Ice shard to pick off other leads like sash lycanroc, and to revenge kill later should I choose to keep mamoswine alive. Oblivious>thick fat to prevent taunts from things like lycanroc or tapu fini, and the evs allow it to outspeed as many other pokemon, and to hit as hard, as possible. Fairly standard set overall, but it works well.​

Barnacles (Gyarados) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Gyarados is my set-up sweeper of choice, and it synergizes very well with mega-metagross. Waterfall is reliable stab with a handy chance to flinch, and is capable of OHKO-ing Tapu Koko at +1 after stealth rock. Earthquake is primarily for toxapex; I used to have ice fang for grasses/dragons until I got dragged into multiple struggle wars with toxapex, so I made the change. (Bounce can be run instead in Pokebank OU, works well with leftovers). Substitute is very useful because it allows me to avoid status and set up vs fat nonsense like toxapex (if they don't carry haze), alomomola, heatran, etc. The speed evs let me outspeed max speed heatran to avoid toxics and Bloom Dooms. The rest is for maximum power and a bit of bulk. Intimidate helps me come in on stuff like garchomp and alolan-marowak and start setting up.

Dangerzone (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magnezone was a very necessary addition to my team that lets me deal with scizor, celesteela, and plenty of other bulky water and steel types. Dual stab in flash cannon and thunderbolt, with volt switch being the first half of my volt-turn core, and hp fire to OHKO most mega-scizor variants. A timid nature is used here to outspeed bulky mega-scizor sets, but specs are used to achieve maximum power and score OHKOs on scizor and celesteela with hp fire and thunderbolt, respectively. Did I mention mega-scizor? I hate mega-scizor. Moving on.

Medusa (Hydreigon) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- U-turn

Hydreigon functions as a revenge killer to threatening Pokemon like ash-greninja and mega-gyarados. Dual stab again to fire off powerful attacks without predicting too much, if I can. Focus blast for the aforementioned threats (superpower can be used here with a hasty nature in Pokebank OU), and u-turn to complete my volt-turn core and gain momentum.

Pikaboo (Mimikyu) (M) @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak

Mimikyu is such an underrated threat, in my opinion. Disguise is an amazing ability that allows it to get +2 vs basically anything. Shadow claw to deal with bulky psychic types like slowbro, tapu lele, and other mega metagross. When boosted by Ghostium Z and after a Swords Dance, Shadow Claw is capable of OHKOing mega-scizor, nearly every variant of the tapus, and a plethora of other threats. Play Rough can kill Mandibuzz at +2, which sometimes tries to check mimikyu with foul play. Shadow sneak is additional priority, which is very nice for an offensive team that isn't tremendously fast.

Sovereign (Metagross-Mega) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Bullet Punch

The star of the team, behold the beast that is Mega-Metagross. This monster is my primarily wallbreaker, capable of punching holes in bulky Pokemon like tapu fini, toxapex, garchomp - if it needs breaking, Metagross can probably do it (exceptforskarmbutwehavemagsothat'sok). Dual Stab for, again, firing off hard hitting attacks. Hammer arm deals with steel types like Heatran and Kartana, and unsuspecting dark types that might think they're safe, like non-scarfed hydreigon and mega gyarados before boosting. Bullet punch is a great last move that can revenge kill things like tapu koko if it's low, or beat mimikyu (busted) that might try to shadow sneak you.

Thanks for reading my RMT! Please leave a comment if you have any improvements, I do appreciate them. Attached are my proof of peak, a few replays, and the importable team if you'd like to test it yourself. I only ask that you keep them nicknames :)
- Professor Suicune (shnazzy on PS).

Last edited:
Ello.

I've been messing around with your team and I've been loving it.
Only managed to peak 1400 but I tried few games and admitedly Im not the best driver.
Now what I feel like Im decent at is theorycraft, so if the op (or the rest of you guys) is still around, here are my two cents:

> Bullet Punch on Metagross is mostly a liability, it only covers for Pheromosa switch ins but overal the team deals with her pretty well so maybe Ice Punch for Garchomp and Mandibuzz (once I KOd one by spamming Hammer Arm until my Spe was lower than his. I rofl'd but it wouldn't happen if my opponent was half good) or EQ for Toxapex. Didn't really test tho.
> I feel like Gyarados is a strictly worse version of either Lando-T or Salamence. I seldom need the setup sweep and when I do it has to come from Mimikyu because Gya is worn out from checking so many aMarowaks and luring Toxapex, Celesteela, Fini, Bulu and such, doing pretty much nothing to them and losing tempo, since pivoting out of them seems kinda hard. Also, Bounce sinergizes better with the set than Subs unless T-Wave. Or I could just be missing something with all the sweeping thing.
> Lando-T would kinds of overlap with Mamoswine which is bad because this thing is a monster. Sash, priority and being able to simply KO most rocks setters is just too good. Also, STAB EQ on Poison/Fairy/Dragon/Steel meta. I remember having an instance where a 1hp Mamo sweeped the 3 last enemy mons. I feel like 252 spe on Mamo is too much tho idk.
> Flamethrower on Hydreigon feels simply better to hit Steel like Kartana, Celesteela, Magearna, Ferrothorn that you otherwise can't touch. You lose coverage against just Mandibuzz and Porygon variants, which you shouldnt be messing around to begin with. Also toying with the idea of not running a Dragon move for the sake of it. I feel like I never have to click the Meteor anyways.
> I want to toy around with the spread of Magnezone, both to min max the speed tier for key KOs (like foe Magnezone mostly AV, Fini, Celesteela, Buzzwole) and put the rest on SpD. No real reason other than I loved playing with Emvee's AV Magnezone. Many tilt forfeits when I won the mirror. Tho Specs been saving my ass on this team more often than not.

Sorry if some of those are just dumb or innacurate, I never claimed to be the very best... YET! Haha.

Ello.

I've been messing around with your team and I've been loving it.
Only managed to peak 1400 but I tried few games and admitedly Im not the best driver.
Now what I feel like Im decent at is theorycraft, so if the op (or the rest of you guys) is still around, here are my two cents:

> Bullet Punch on Metagross is mostly a liability, it only covers for Pheromosa switch ins but overal the team deals with her pretty well so maybe Ice Punch for Garchomp and Mandibuzz (once I KOd one by spamming Hammer Arm until my Spe was lower than his. I rofl'd but it wouldn't happen if my opponent was half good) or EQ for Toxapex. Didn't really test tho.
> I feel like Gyarados is a strictly worse version of either Lando-T or Salamence. I seldom need the setup sweep and when I do it has to come from Mimikyu because Gya is worn out from checking so many aMarowaks and luring Toxapex, Celesteela, Fini, Bulu and such, doing pretty much nothing to them and losing tempo, since pivoting out of them seems kinda hard. Also, Bounce sinergizes better with the set than Subs unless T-Wave. Or I could just be missing something with all the sweeping thing.
> Lando-T would kinds of overlap with Mamoswine which is bad because this thing is a monster. Sash, priority and being able to simply KO most rocks setters is just too good. Also, STAB EQ on Poison/Fairy/Dragon/Steel meta. I remember having an instance where a 1hp Mamo sweeped the 3 last enemy mons. I feel like 252 spe on Mamo is too much tho idk.
> Flamethrower on Hydreigon feels simply better to hit Steel like Kartana, Celesteela, Magearna, Ferrothorn that you otherwise can't touch. You lose coverage against just Mandibuzz and Porygon variants, which you shouldnt be messing around to begin with. Also toying with the idea of not running a Dragon move for the sake of it. I feel like I never have to click the Meteor anyways.
> I want to toy around with the spread of Magnezone, both to min max the speed tier for key KOs (like foe Magnezone mostly AV, Fini, Celesteela, Buzzwole) and put the rest on SpD. No real reason other than I loved playing with Emvee's AV Magnezone. Many tilt forfeits when I won the mirror. Tho Specs been saving my ass on this team more often than not.

Sorry if some of those are just dumb or innacurate, I never claimed to be the very best... YET! Haha.
Hi, thanks for giving me a rate, and I'm glad you've been enjoying the team!

-Bullet punch on Metagross has saved my ass a lot, it can revenge not just Pheromosa but also other Metagross, Tapu Koko (or any of the fairies), scarf garchomp, out-priority shadow sneak mimikyu, etc. I also don't really need eq for toxapex since I have zen headbutt. In the post-bank meta, I may or may not swap bullet punch for ice punch for landorus, but atm I'm set.
-Gyarados helps specifically on this team because it provides a second much needed fire/water resist, a flying immunity, a set up sweeper, and intimidate support. You mentioned salamence, which admittedly does all of those things, but gyarados has the advantage of being able to set up on mamoswine, which is a threat to this team.
-Mamo is a beast
-I agree with switching out focus blast on hydreigon. I've been experimenting with flash cannon as a lure to tapu bulu, but flamethrower/earth power also works. That third move is personal preference basically.
-If you could find a more efficient magnezone spread, that would be appreciated, but so far timid specs has served me well. The idea behind timid was to always outspeed bulky mega scizor.

Ice punch>bp might help post-bank, hydreigon could be run with flamethrower or a different coverage move, and magnezone's evs might be altered. I'll try testing these changes, but thank you for the rate!

Great team and I love it. I switch back and forth between focus blast and flash cannon and I find flash cannon to be better especially against Tapu Bulu but other than that really good team.

I have been getting higher on the ladder

Hello! I tried playing a bit with your team, and I'm still new to SM OU, but it was really fun and easy to use! Not to mention Mimikyu and Hydreigon are some of my favorite mons ;)

However, I did change the Magnezone to a set that fits better with my playstyle (a.k.a. fatmons), with just enough speed to outspeed uninvested mega Scizor, max Sp Atk, and the rest invested in bulk:

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

I definitely ripped the EV spread off somewhere I think, but it's worked pretty well for me. Hope this helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)