Project Regarding SmogonVGC lives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jio

God is Good
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What is this?
Some of you may remember that Smogon VGC hosted several weekly live tournaments in the past. In order to further promote VGC on Smogon as well as giving our users a laid back environment to practice for live events. This thread, in particular, is to raise awareness and promote discussion on how we can get these tournaments to work best for everyone.

How will this work?
Lives will be played out on Pokemon Showdown in the VGC room with the bracket generated by Battlefy. There will be a number of rounds determined by how many entrants are available and then the top performing players will move on to Top Cut. Threads will be put up ahead of time to remind players of Live tourneys and encourage them to check in on time.

At the end of the month, I want to try to give Friendly Competitions on PGL a try. I’m sure most of you know about them by now, but keep in mind that we need at least 20 entrants for them to actually be functional. I can’t imagine consistently getting 20 people to sign up in-game each week which is why I'm reserving it to once a month. Not just Friendly Competitions, but we’ll try to throw in other custom tournament ideas such as VGC Ubers, VGC LC, past formats, and etc to keep this interesting.

Rules
  • Flat Doubles, Black Clover Pokemon ONLY. If it's not allowed on Sun Moon Battle Spot, it isn't allowed here.
  • For the purpose of having the tournament run on time, strategies such as Minimize are STRONGLY discouraged. Please keep this tournament fun and fast; these strategies are neither. If time is called and you are using such a strategy, you will likely take the loss.
  • Each round will last a maximum of 50 minutes. If the match is not completed within the timeframe, it will be up to the host to decide who wins or who loses.
  • Since this is a non-weighted practice tournament and we have little control over this, you may change your team between rounds but not during a best of three series. However, it might be better practice for you not to do so.
Times
This is the difficult part since it will be somewhat difficult to accommodate for each time zone. As of right now, I plan on hosting lives at least 2-3 times a week.

Option A: Friday @ 9:00PM EST and Saturday @ 2:00PM EST
Option B: Wednesday @ 2:00PM EST and Sunday @ 4:00PM EST
Option C: Sunday @ 2:00PM EST
Option D: Another time discussed in the thread.

Keep in mind that SmogonVGC live tournaments have no real incentive behind them other than to encourage comradery and practice. With the Official Smogon VGC Tournament going on at the same time there’s hardly a need for an invitational, so look at these as fun hangouts than a high-stakes competition. We may give away Pokemon for participants in Lives, but that's up to general interest.

This sounds really fun! I would especially enjoy the end of the month Friendly Competitions on the PGL. I think it would work well, since it gives players enough time to gather teams in-game.
Regarding times: I'd be more cohesive to Option A, I'm unable to log in for long periods of time on Sunday afternoons.

Reactions: Jio

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I would recommend running these tours 3 hours off from Smog Tour times. Any combination of Friday at 9, Saturday at 1 or 7, and Sunday at 11 am or 5 times work, but make sure whatever you pick is far enough from the tour times to not lead to conflicts. People will most likely prioritize competing in tour over competing in one of these and 3 hours spreads things out by a large enough margin.

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to this! However, keep this in mind: Flat Rules DO allow Pentagon mons since Battle Spot Doubles does allow them. I'd be a bit more specific in order to not confuse newer players trying to get into VGC. I know by now most should know the rules yet I believe it is important to make that clear :^)

I'm really looking forward to this! However, keep this in mind: Flat Rules DO allow Pentagon mons since Battle Spot Doubles does allow them. I'd be a bit more specific in order to not confuse newer players trying to get into VGC. I know by now most should know the rules yet I believe it is important to make that clear :^)
I may be mistaken on this, but I believe it's possible to download the VGC rule-set from the Festival Plaza. Maybe that can be supplemented in the stead of Flat Rules?

Jio

God is Good
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Awfully sorry about the inactivity here, but college work sucks. I've been thinking carefully about this and I think I'm going to do some combination of every reply I've gotten so far and have the times at the following:

Saturday @ 7:PM EDT
Sunday @ 5:PM EDT

Hopefully this way we won't have any issues and won't collide with SmogTours, but these can be subject to change if anything comes up. I've also had a handful of volunteers for hosting the tournaments so I'll be PMing all those people soon. Also, the fun competition tour I had in mind for the end of April will be VGC Ubers so get your Solgaleos and Lunalas ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)