Regarding the severity and expansiveness of tournament bans

Status
Not open for further replies.
After talking to Hogg about this topic, it was suggested that I post here. I was initially apprehensive because I thought it'd seem like I am calling for shiloh's head when I really don't have any issues with him, nor do I fault him for anything here. Rather, I aim to address the community's response and behavior in this situation and others. Note that I am only using this situation since it serves as a good example of many things I (and others) find wrong with the tournament community and cheating. I want it to be clear that I don't think people should continue to admonish his character due to past actions. I hope that explanation is sufficient and understandable... I provided so much exposition because I'm aware there are people who share this opinion who are afraid of being viewed as instigators.

With that out of the way, let me begin to address the issues by first using various facets of shiloh's (formerly known as rozes for the uninitiated) tournament ban and the events that followed as a "case study" indicative of greater issues in the tournaments community and Smogon at large:

1.) NUPL as an example for TD jurisdiction over unofficial tournaments:
NUPL suspiciously started two to three weeks later than all other comparable PLs, and this happens to line up with the shiloh's unban. If it had started with the other PLs, shiloh would not have been able to play unless the NU forum leaders decided to allow tournament banned users to play. This, however, would have looked more suspicious and blatantly out of touch with the other PLs, whereas starting later could be excused. Still, I think it is clear that there were some ulterior motives to starting this PL later, especially when you consider shiloh's very positive involvement in the NU community. This is problematic because, regardless of shiloh's importance in the NU community, rules are being bent to the benefit of a punished user. These punishments should be taken more seriously at a site-wide level.

I understand that the Tournament Directors do not have control over subforum PLs, but to prevent issues like this and other ruling issues moving forward, I believe there should be more cooperation between the TDs, SS, and the subforum moderators. In other words, tournament banned users should not be given clearly special treatment in such ways. Outside of the shiloh situation, I believe circuit tournaments and subforum PLs should more strictly follow official tournament rulings. This is not to say that TDs should have jurisdiction / responsibility over these tournaments: that would lead to even more work for TDs. Instead, the work should be delegated to subforum moderators and the hosts they choose as it currently is, but if an issue is brought to the TDs and they see that it is out of line with official rulings with no good excuse (ideally something that would be determined on a case-by-case basis), then they would have the ability to call for that to be undone.

For a more personal example here: I hosted OUPL last year with njnp. One team was advancing to playoffs over another due to BD, but they had the advantage here because another team had not played many of their games in a previous week. We almost called for a tiebreaker between the two teams in question. This would have clearly been the wrong call, and I admit that I almost approved of this call because of my own ignorance. If it weren't for the help of current and past TDs, we would have made an objectively unfair decision in a pretty important tournament. I am simply saying that this type of oversight that current and former TDs already provide should have some official status to prevent events like the two I have outlined.

2.) Seat at the NU council as an example of authority positions within a community:
While tournament banned, shiloh was given a seat on the NU council and other positions of less authority in the NU community. While I am not involved in the NU community, I have been told that shiloh's contributions here are invaluable. Be that as it may, I think there is a fundamental issue with giving tournament banned / recently unbanned users any authority position whatsoever. I understand someone cheating does not correlate to the leadership they provide in a community, but I think it gives Smogon and its communities a bad image when someone who is tournament banned / recently unbanned holds a position of authority. To further discourage cheating, especially by those respected members of the community, there should be a restriction on the authority a tournament banned / recently unbanned user can hold.

Let me be clear: this is not to say a user should never be an authority figure if they cheat! The only "nevers" in this situation would be within the tournaments community, such as becoming a TD again and managing teams in the future. I am very adamant about there being room for forgiveness for cheating (as you will see later); I simply think a user needs to prove they can be trusted as a leader for some time after their ban expires before being given leadership positions again. As for giving leadership positions to currently tournament banned users, I think this is absolutely absurd. We do not give leadership positions to ICBB members, so why should we give them to tournament banned members?

This all continues with the theme of a tournament ban holding greater weight in the community at large. Again, there should be room for forgiveness, which is why I think turning tournament bans into full on Smogon bans would be negative. Tournament banned users should ideally feel compelled to continue to contribute and prove their worth in the community. shiloh did this, albeit behind the scenes mostly. This is also why I personally think the tournament ban review process initiated by the TDs is very positive.

Again, this is not to admonish shiloh and other users who make the mistake of cheating. Rather, I hope for tournament bans to hold more weight to dissuade users (especially positive presences like shiloh, anti, etc.) from caving in and cheating. If a user is aware that they will be able to come back as if nothing happened relatively quickly, the incentive to not cheat is not large enough.

----------

I can provide more examples (relating to shiloh and not) if necessary, but I will now move on to where this all applies:

In short, I think tournament bans should hold more weight, but there should be less emphasis on shame and more emphasis on working to be forgiven. There was discussion in the past about making more of an incentive not to cheat, and this led to the red "Tournament Banned" CTs, tougher punishments, stricter rules, and a bigger crackdown on cheating. Still, with this shiloh case, it is clear that these things were not enough. The consequences of his action were essentially lessened due to his status in the community. A tournament was more or less scheduled around his return, he got his council slots back immediately, and he was even extensively involved in leading an SPL team behind the scenes. This boils down to him getting less of a punishment than other cheaters due to his connections (edit 2: by connections, I mean council / community leadership positions, recognition as a great player / presence, and past relationship to the tournaments community). I do not fault him personally for this at all: not taking advantage of these benefits would be foolish. Rather, I think the blame should be directed towards insufficient global recognition of a Tournament Ban.

What I am proposing:
  1. Tournament bans should officially ban people from participating in ANY tournaments held on Smogon.
  2. Official tournament rulings should apply to ALL circuit tournaments and subforum PLs.
  3. Tournament Directors should have an overruling final say regarding ANY tournaments held on Smogon. This does not mean TDs are now responsible for these tournaments. Rather, when a controversial situation is brought to the TD team, they should be able to overrule the hosts and forum mods.
  4. Tournament bans should revoke users of ANY authority they hold on Smogon or Pokemon Showdown. Furthermore, a tournament banned user should not be able to gain any authority. Authority in this case would include moderator positions and council positions. Things like VR council, being a member of a QC team (not leader), being a voice in a PS! room, etc. should be allowed. They give the user a way to redeem themselves, allowing the TDs to make a case for shortening their ban.
While not explicitly covered in these rulings, I think the situation regarding NUPL's timing aligning with shiloh's tournament ban would fall under the third proposal.

Again, I hope this does not come off as me attacking shiloh. Since the initial incident, he has done nothing but positively contribute to the community. My issue comes from the way a lot of this was handled, as the precedents it might set are concerning to say the least. With that said, I am not proposing any of this retroactively apply to shiloh! That would be absurd, and while I think it is obvious, I am just pointing it out to be safe.

edit: It was brought to my attention that NUPL was not moved to benefit shiloh. I was fed false information here, and I apologize for including it. I should have tried to get more people to confirm this, but I thought those that did were sufficient enough. Regardless, this information was mostly supplementary, so the core argument still stands.

Last edited:
re: circuits and tier forums tours

Tourbanned users cannot play in circuit tournaments.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/circuit-tournaments-bans.3625904/

They can't play in any tournament in the tournaments section, officials included, and they can't play in any tour that gives circuit points. All they can do is play in "fun" tier specific tournaments if the Tier Leaders don't mind, but most of them are against that and apparently the only big "fun" tour that allowed tour banned users was Monotype Snake.

I'm not against officially blocking tourbanned users from playing in niche tournaments that don't give any sort of reward and I'm certain most Tier Leaders wouldn't oppose this, but this isn't a decision for the TD team. TDs don't want to deal with things outside of their section and TLs don't want outside people meddling in their section, so we are never going to have TDs ruling over TLs.

re: Tourbanned users in positions of power

You automatically lose any major position of power on forums if you get tourbanned; PS stuff is dealt with by PS staff. Shiloh, who got brought up in this thread, got demoted from everywhere (Global Mod, Tier Leader, TD, etc) the moment his tourban was announced. Yes he got promoted to the NU council, but that was 6 months after his tourban and it wasn't unilaterally decided by NU leadership, they went through me first.

I was the one who reported the logs that got Rozes banned and probably the main person behind him getting demoted from everything important, so obviously I was in favor of him getting harshly punished. However, tourbans don't exist to completely alienate users from everything and nobody gains anything if we make it unnecessarily hard for users to rehabilitate.

A single member of a tiering council has very limited power, everything they do has to go through multiple people and Rozes was actively contributing to the NU community despite being tourbanned. We are not talking about him getting Mod or a position with very little oversight.

Last edited:

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
This is more of the other direction, though I have to ask why forum-banned individuals are allowed to continue their tournament runs. The case that's seemed to be the point of contention is when the forum-ban length is less than the duration of the entire tournament. It's felt weird to me that you can still continue participating in tournaments for a site that you are actually banned from.

Hikari addressed most of the OP so I won't delve into that much.

This is more of the other direction, though I have to ask why forum-banned individuals are allowed to continue their tournament runs. The case that's seemed to be the point of contention is when the forum-ban length is less than the duration of the entire tournament. It's felt weird to me that you can still continue participating in tournaments for a site that you are actually banned from.
I'm actually glad you brought this up because it's something recently discussed among TDs in light of imsosorrylol's OST run. We didn't want to retroactively apply the policy but going forward I know at least a few of us are on board with immediately disqualifying any forum banned users.

The way I see it, tournaments are simply a part of the forum so allowing only one part of forum participation when all others are automatically cut off is pretty strange. Furthermore, there's the unofficial hassle of having to discord schedule and proxy post and all that. I also don't feel wrong for disqualifying people from tournaments for non-cheating offenses because it's really not too difficult to avoid a forum ban. I mean them not playing tournaments is just an automatic reflex of the forum, allowing them to play tournaments is an exception to the intended function.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
A single member of a tiering council has very limited power, everything they do has to go through multiple people and Rozes was actively contributing to the NU community despite being tourbanned. We are not talking about him getting Mod or a position with very little oversight.
it shouldnt matter what influence the member has on the tier if theyre a council member or mod or whatever, they’re in a position of power and their actions are expected to be emulated by the rest of the community. if a user with power has that sort of extertion on other members then they should be held to a higher integrity check than normal. this is the only way this ghosting / tourban culture can be changed is if that shit starts from the top.. thats great that people already lose mods and such but for the extent of their tourban at least they should not be able to regain or remain in their positions of power (mostly council spots) contributions be damned. a cheaters a cheater and should not be rewarded for their shit. what kind of message does it send when the top players of a tier can still be influential in tiering decisions and the upbringing of the culture each community has despite getting caught cheating on a pokemon forum? yeah tournaments are only one part of smogon but if people can be denied ladybug bc of one mishap on another part of the site i see no reason that it cant extend to tournaments, literally the only reason 75% of this community even plays for

it shouldnt matter what influence the member has on the tier if theyre a council member or mod or whatever, they’re in a position of power and their actions are expected to be emulated by the rest of the community. if a user with power has that sort of extertion on other members then they should be held to a higher integrity check than normal. this is the only way this ghosting / tourban culture can be changed is if that shit starts from the top.. thats great that people already lose mods and such but for the extent of their tourban at least they should not be able to regain or remain in their positions of power (mostly council spots) contributions be damned. a cheaters a cheater and should not be rewarded for their shit. what kind of message does it send when the top players of a tier can still be influential in tiering decisions and the upbringing of the culture each community has despite getting caught cheating on a pokemon forum? yeah tournaments are only one part of smogon but if people can be denied ladybug bc of one mishap on another part of the site i see no reason that it cant extend to tournaments, literally the only reason 75% of this community even plays for

I totally disagree. Just talking from a room level, as a room owner my goal is to put the correct people in the correct spots and build a staff body thats best suited for the room. By telling me that I can no longer pick people who deserve the spot and would benefit the room by being in said spots because they're tour banned it means that a tour ban can now override room owners, TLs, and the best interest of every room/tier.

I think these issues should be heavily weighed by staff, which is what we did for Rozes, but a tour ban shouldn't come before doing whats in the best interest for a tier or room. At the end of the day TLs and ROs know whats best for their given places. Tour bans should apply to where tours are relevant and be kept in mind for places that aren't. I don't see a reason to make a tour ban effect all aspects of a person life on PS and override everyone in power in the respective places.

EDIT: just going to make an edit here rather then respond to the post below in a new post because the answers pretty short. We do keep these in mind, we did with rozes and other people should with other users who are tour banned. We don't just ignore its there, we just weigh the risk of promoting a tour banned user vs having them on staff/council.

Last edited:

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I totally disagree. Just talking from a room level, as a room owner my goal is to put the correct people in the correct spots and build a staff body thats best suited for the room. By telling me that I can no longer pick people who deserve the spot and would benefit the room by being in said spots because they're tour banned it means that a tour ban can now override room owners, TLs, and the best interest of every room/tier.

I think these issues should be heavily weighed by staff, which is what we did for Rozes, but a tour ban shouldn't come before doing whats in the best interest for a tier or room. At the end of the day TLs and ROs know whats best for their given places. Tour bans should apply to where tours are relevant and be kept in mind for places that aren't. I don't see a reason to make a tour ban effect all aspects of a person life on PS and override everyone in power in the respective places.
this post just shows the lack of respect for what a tourban actually constitutes. if you cant be expected to be trusted to do the one thing this site is made for (play pokemon honestly) then you cant be trusted anywhere else. no wonder ghosting is so prominent a 6 month tourban is a joke of a punishment when you can still do everything else including keeping your positions of power and authority. im all for allowing people who outlast their tourban to “reform” and get back in high positions of a community but during their time as tourbanned its pretty stupid to reward them with promotions, badges, etc. i guarantee you (on phone so idk if i can find an example) but you can contribute as much as you want and youd still get rejected from being badged if you have a tourban signature because your ethical character is called into question and id hazard a guess people would say “we shouldnt reward them after they JUST got tourbanned (fuck people get denied badges for being infracted recently). are you going to suggest that PS mods or council or some other psuedo authority is somehow less important than badges in this manner? why should character be called into question when determining wing badge or ladybug but not when promoting someone to a room owner or tiering council?

edit at above edit: why should it matter? they can still contribute to discussion, forum threads, discord, whatever they just shouldnt be rewarded for it. wait until after their tourban is over. otherwise there honestly is zero point of a tourban and that shit will NOT curb any cheating behavior.

Last edited:

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The problem I have with the arguments presented here is that we're looking at this from too general of a perspective. While I do think that we should be harsh on tourbans there comes a point where context is required for the punishment, and I don't just mean the tourban length, either. There's a major difference between someone that was desperate to help out their friend for a game and someone that manipulated an entire series of matches to gain an advantage. To me the thought of someone not being allowed to be a room voice because they said "I'd go chomper here" a few times is unfair. Those two things have nothing to do with each other and to say they do is ridiculous. "He cheated in a tournament therefore he's proven he can't be responsible" is an awful argument because it's looking at a person from a one-dimensional viewpoint instead of properly evaluating them. It's lazy.

Why should we give so much power to tourbans? If we're not outright banning people for cheating in tournaments then putting them in a garbage position doesn't make any sense. Don't pussyfoot around with the punishment. Go all the way and completely ban them or keep it to the tournaments and most important authority positions. Doing stuff like restricting room voice promotions or VR councils is nonsensical. How are you even going to regulate something like that? All of my VR and tiering council discussions are held off-site, and there's nothing stopping me from including tourbanned players in those discussions. Things like that should be left to the discretion of the relevant section leaders because they know those people and communities better than the TDs.

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Okay this has been sitting silent for long enough so we can probably wrap this up.

Everyone in the past who has been tourbanned have lost their current leadership roles, as Hikari said (and as they should have). That doesn't mean they should be barred from every sort of meaningful contribution to this site for the entire duration of their ban. In the past you have tourbanned users earning badges for translating articles and whatnot. These are completely harmless contributions to Smogon and I really don't see why we shouldn't encourage users to contribute in meaningful ways regardless.

That being said, a tourban is still an infraction and a breach of trust. So recent tourbans may block them from certain things for a time regardless, but this time can be shorter than the duration of the tourban. But for minor positions like VR council and the like: If it's been a long time since their ban was initially applied and they've been on good behaviour since then, why shouldn't we let them contribute in some fashion. It's not giving them large, significant role in the community like moderator. It's allowing them to continue to contribute to Smogon in a way that benefits everyone.

We're all human. Completely shutting them out for the entire duration of a tourban is both cold, impractical, and pointless. The effort of doing that can instead be used to encourage willing and meaningful contributions, which in the long run helps everybody here much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)