Remembering DPPT (OU RMT)

----------------------------------------------​

Introduction

Okay, so I know the era of Diamond Pearl and Platinum is TECHNICALLY not over yet, because Heart Gold / Soul Silver is not yet in stores in America. However, it is now up on the Smogon Community Server on Shoddy Battle. So, for my 100th post here on the Smogon Forums, I decided to build a team around the Diamond Pearl and Platinum age, with common threats like CM Latias and NP Infernape.

I personally cannot wait for HG/SS to hit the stores in America, and am testing out teams based around new moves pokemon got in the new game (E.x. Dragonite gets extremespeed, Mismagius gets Nasty Plot, Crobat and a bunch of others get the really cheap move Super Fang). However, I have been using this team for about a month, after building it jointly with llamafoo, and it has come out to some success. But I have a feeling this team of ours has not reached its full potential yet. So, I am asking for the "professional" help of the raters on Smogon.

Stupid introduction, now its time to get to details.

In - Depth

Metagross @ Occa Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/236 Atk/12 Def/8 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Bullet Punch

A suggestion by llamafoo, and after I saw how effective it was, I had to agree. There is a reason why metagross is one of the top used leads (2nd I believe) - it is just great at getting the job done. After setting up stealth rock (very easily, with Metagross's typing, natural bulk, and HP EVs), Metagross can beat the heck out of the opponents lead with Earthquake and finish them off with Bullet Punch. Later in the battle, if I still have Metagross, it can serve as a useful switch in on a locked-in Outraging Salamence and Explode in its scary face.

I chose to go with Earthquake over Meteor Mash simply to do well against other Metagross leads. It can also serve useful against other steel leads like jirachi. Occa berry is a must, considering all the leadApes and leadTrans out there, so I can take the fire blast and hit back with an Earthquake.

Here is how Metagross fares against the 10 most common leads:

Metagross: If its a standard EV set (like mine) and has Meteor Mash, I win out by using Earthquake. However, if it carries Earthquake, I typically switch out to Latias or Heracross.
Azelf: Stealth Rock as he Fire blasts/SRs, then switch out to latias to take the next Fire Blast.
Jirachi: Usually a ScarfRachi lead, so I earthquake first. Then, I'll set up stealth rock a little later.
Swampert: After setting up stealth rock, I'll switch to either Heracross or Vappy.
Aerodactyl: Bullet punch it to death.
Infernape: Take the fake out, and laugh as it tries to Fire Blast and I KO back with Earthquake.
Hippowdon: Another annoying thing, I normally just switch to Latias for a quick Surf.
Bronzong: Can also be a pest, but as we both SR up, I switch to Infernape and set-up.
Ninjask: Not much it can do to me, because I carry bullet punch, but if it manages to get a pass off I'll explode.

Quite a successful lead, Metagross is.

---

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Thunderbolt

Llamafoo said, a Latias is not worth having unless it is yellow and not red. Since Latias is simply a beast in OU and one of the best Set-up sweepers in the game, I decided to comply (sorry about the picture, I couldn't find a better one) Overall, it provides great synergy with all the pokemon on my team and resists/is immune to attacks that are used against some of the other pokes on my team (like EQ on Magnezone and Infernape) With great stats overall, especially speed, Latias outspeeds other dragons and can deal heavy damage with its SpA. Her natural bulk and great typing are also a good reason to have her on this team.

I decided to go an offensive CM version, to give my team more offensive power, as I have always like highly offensive teams. Dragon Pulse is definitely a must, because of its STAB, high power, and no stat drop. I just feel Draco Meteor is kinda a one-and-done deal, but with CM, I wanted to keep Latias in a little longer.

Surf and Thunderbolt provide excellent coverage and can deal with most of the other threats out there. I decided to not go with Recover or Grass Knot with the last slot, and decided to go with thunderbolt. Thunderbolt deals with empoleon, and, as I learned from franky a while ago, Grass Knot is not useful in the OU tier.

Somehow, Latias has a way of getting into almost all my teams.

---

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Explosion
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

Our steel trapper and Scizor killer, this Magnezone set is especially useful for taking out a locked CB Scizor. My general strategy with Magnezone is to save it as much as I can until my opponent reveals his/her inevitable Scizor (seriously, its so common these days). BAM! Scizors a squashed (metal) bug.

HP Fire are great for taking out Scizor in one hit, and Thunderbolt/Flash Cannon provide my dual STABs that hit almost everything. I decided to go Explosion because, even though its gimmicky, is incredibly effective for taking out walls. It works even better with a choice scarf equipped too.

Not much else to say about Magnezone, other than it works well to take out the Scizor threat that could take out Latias early.

---

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 188 HP/252 Def/68 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Vaporeon has developed into my favorite special wall and wish passer in OU. I have to admit, I wasn't so sure about using a small watery dog at first, but after I saw how well it stopped Gyarados and Salamence, the most common threats in OU, I have fallen in love with this set. Wish protect can stall out an opponent late into the match, or provide instant recovery for any of my pokemon. Its ability, Water Absorb, is even better, as it makes it a good switch in to any water attack, and either HP Electric or wishpass to a weakened pokemon.

The best and worst thing about the set I am running is that I'm not running Surf, Vaporeon's best STAB attack. While it often fools people, causing a lot of fire-pokemon switches, once my opponents figure out, a fire type like Infernape can easily set up on me. However, I didn't want to drop HP Electric or Ice beam, the best ways of dealing with Gyara and Mence.

Vappy has become one of the staples in many of my teams because of how well it works with my favorite pokemon.

---

Heracross (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Toxic
- Stone Edge

At this point in creating my team, I still lacked a good revenge killer. I wanted a jolly choice scarfer, because they can outspeed many threats and KO quickly. llamafoo suggested a Heracross, and as far as it goes, it works pretty decent. After Metagross dies, he is my usual switch in, with his variety of moves. Slapping on a scarf on Heracross is a great choice (no pun intended) because of its rather lackluster speed and its access to incredibly strong STAB moves in Close Combat and Megahorn. And, well, stone edge is powerful too (if it would only hit).

The reason I chose toxic over night slash is this: A well-predicted toxic on a wall switching into Heracross will bear toxic poison for the rest of the game, giving my sweepers, Latias and Infernape, a much easier time to sweep. However, sometimes I have a hard time with ghosts (Gengar), and regret dropping Night Slash. :pirate:

---

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 64 Atk/192 Spd/252 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Close Combat
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Infernape, Infernape, is my favorite sweeper of all time. My favorite version, the Nasty Plot set, bumps his attack through the roof, dealing over half damage to things that resist it. After just one nasty plot, everything I outspeed, with my Naive nature, is going down. There is a reason why this set is quite standard, and that is its brilliant effectiveness in both wallbreaking and sweeping. Many common threats, like Salamence (not after a DD), Blissey, non-scarf Heatran, Zapdos, Cresselia, Flygon, etc. die in one hit (almost everything else is 2) Thats why I'm using this set.

Fire Blast and Close Combat simply rip pokemon to shreds. Although it only has an 85 (I believe) accuracy, Fire Blast in my opinion it is so much more valuable that Flamethrower, to deal with threats even before a Nasty Plot. Nasty Plot really is the key to this set: Come in on a resisted attack, and Nasty plot as my opponent switches in. From there, I can choose from three incredibly strong attacks to finish off my opponent.

My favorite part of this set is Hidden Power [Ice] over Grass Knot. While this does give me some potential problems with swampert, it is so much more effective for taking down dragons like Mence who try to ruin my sweep. This set is also very useful early game, as it kills many pokemon even at full health.

---

Conclusion

Thanks for reading my pesky RMT. I really hope that you'll rate or give me advice to help make this team the best it can be.

Some things I've been considering:

HP Ice on Magnezone
Grass Knot on Infernape
A better revenge killer over Heracross
Recover on Latias

Thanks again for taking time to read this RMT! Rate it, comment, or steal if you wish :nerd:

And a threat list will be up, if I can get around to it.

One Last Look

Metagross does much better carrying a Lum Berry, With max health Fire Blast from azelf still won't one hit. And Status is much more of a threat to metagross than azelf.

Meteor mash is a staple on a Metagross lead, I would suggest that you change the moveset to:

Stealth Rock
Bullet Punch
EarthQuake
Meteor Mash

Giving up explosion to kill azelf leads is worth the effort.Overall I'd say it's a pretty good team with great synergy.

Good Job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)