ORAS UU Renovamen - UU Balance

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion

Renovamen - Latin, Noun. Revitalization, Resurgence, Renewal, Regeneration.
Introduction - Hi, PDT is back with another RMT, but this one is different. I really wanted to put a lot more effort into the quality of my RMT to make it enjoyable for other people to read. So, in light of that, Renovamen is a team that features a Regenerator Core, and it is the symbol for the revitalization of my postings! This team has gone through a lot of testing, and I hope you guys enjoy!

(Skipping the team-building b/c I don't remember it and they're boring imo)

- PDT

Just a little overview of the team, Tangrowth and Slowking have amazing defensive synergy as well as access to Regenerator, which improves the longevity of the teams two main walls. Then there is a 3-Pokemon VoltTurn core to retain momentum, as most every Pokemon on this team can pivot. This playstyle is a form of Balance VoltTurn, so just a little bit about how I play the team. (I'm addicted to momentum)

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain

- Knock Off

- Hidden Power [Fire]

- Sleep Powder

Tangrowth is a blanket check to many of the physical threats in the tier, even M-Aero. Now, you're thinking, how can this check M-Aero? Flying is super effective on Grass!(note that slowking can check M-Aero too). Well an Aerial Ace does a bit less than half to this bulky monster, and that's what the EV spread does. It's used as a bulky physical sponge that is used for utility and pivoting, with great utility moves in Sleep Powder and Knock Off. Hidden Power Fire lures things like Doublade, Cobalion, and Forretress. It doesn't really need recovery because of Giga Drain and Regenerator, so I decided to go with Rocky Helmet to punish Physical attacks and aid Mega Beedrill's late game sweep. This is my main Swampert check/counter, and it does a damn good job at walling most Bulky Water types throughout the tier. Sleep Powder has won me many games as I can just put their last Pokemon to sleep and finish them off. Tangrowth is a valuable member to the team because of its insane physical bulk. While 156 Defense EVs and a Bold Nature avoids the 2HKO from M-Aerodactyl, 100 Speed EVs creeps Relaxed Mega-Swampert, so I think this is the most efficient EV spread that I could make.

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock

- Scald

- Calm Mind

- Slack Off

Slowking was chosen because I really wanted to build around a Regenerator core, and it had really good synergy with Tangrowth. I went with the Calm Mind set to beat things like CM Florges and CroCune as well as give my team a bulky win condition. Slowking checks powerful Fire Types like Entei which runs through this team otherwise. The niche I like about Slowking that other Entei checks don't have is the ability to continuously switch-in to Sacred Fire, because it just regains the health everytime it switches out again. Scald spreads burns and Psyshock is useful for beating other CM users 1v1. Slowking is also a secondary check to many other powerful Physically Attacking threats like M-Aerodactyl as well as Flying Types like Crobat that could potentially threaten Tangrowth. The EV spread is max/max in HP and Defense with a Bold Nature to give it as much physical bulk as possible, and I wouldn't recommend any less than this because it beats Mega-Swampert 1v1. Lefties+Slack Off+Regenerator give Slowking a ridiculous amount of recovery which makes the team's longevity superior to other teams.

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect

- U-turn

- Poison Jab

- Drill Run
/ Pursuit

Mega-Beedrill is such a potent late-game cleaner and and easily grabs momentum for this team. It's a rather standard set and it gives the team speed to wreak havoc on offensive team. Beedrill is the main physical attacker/sweeper, and I use it to wear down walls with U-turn while pivoting into a more beneficial matchup. With this Pokemon, make sure to keep hazards off the field so that Beedrill isn't worn down and picked off by priority. Use Protect to get off Mega Evolution and to scout with the likes of Entei. Drill Run is used over Knock Off because of the two other Knock Off users we have on the team, and Drill Run can help clean up things like Nidoqueen and other Poison Types that have been worn down. There's really not much else to write about Beedrill because the role in the team and the move set is fairly standard, but it does contribute greatly to the success of the team. Pursuit is another option you can run to help the matchup versus Alakazam and to trap threats that might try to pivot out from Beedrill

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry/Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock

- Close Combat

- Iron Head

- Volt Switch

I really love this Cobalion set as it provides a second fairy killer as well as Stealth Rocks and momentum for the team. Cobalion, the second part of the VoltTurn core, is another great pivot that sets up hazards and can even check things like opposing Mega-Beedrill. I went with Leftovers so it would be easier to continually switch in on attacks with some passive recovery to help its longevity. Shuca Berry lures things like Mamoswine and other Ground types and secures some key KOs with it, it does lose all form of recovery but it's your choice. Cobalion also comes in on slower Dark Types and threaten them so that you get free momentum or hazards. The way to use Cobalion is to play aggressively in my opinion and make some hard doubles into Tangrowth predicting bulky water types like Swampert. If they don't have a safe Electric switch-in that can also take Iron Head/Close Combat, be sure to make hard doubles so that you don't lose momentum by being in a bad matchup. Even though Cobalion is a Steel Type, don't bring it in on Fairy Type attacks as it can be 2HKO'd by some variants of Whimsicott and Florges. Instead, use Volt Switch or U-Turn to bring it in safely and pressure the opponent from there. The EVs maximize Attack and Speed so that Cobalion can apply pressure or safely pivot out of bad match-ups.

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off

- Earthquake

- Pursuit

- Superpower

I chose Band Krookodile as a solid wallbreaker and Pursuit Trapper to improve my matchup against faster threats that can't KO Krook and don't want to take an Earthquake/Knock Off. Krookodile is used as a nifty Electric Immunity to take the momentum away from opposing VoltTurn teams and pressure them with Pursuit. It's also a great wallbreaker to punch holes in the opponent's team that gives Mega-Beedrill time to come in and clean up. Knock Off provides great utility and a go to STAB move. Earthquake completes the dual STAB duo and threatens things like Entei and Nidoqueen/King and forces them out. Superpower is for predicted switch-ins like Cobalion and Hydreigon, and sometimes ever Mega-Abomasnow. People underestimate the power of this thing, and it secures a lot of kills for this team. A helpful tip that could get someone using this team a few kills is that Krook lives a -1 U-turn from Beedrill and can KO it with Pursuit. Things like that can turn the tide of the game in your favor.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 180 SpD / 28 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch

- Heat Wave

- Defog

- Roost

Zapdos was really the glue that this team needed. A lot of things like Mega-Ampharos, Mega-Sceptile, Hydreigon, and Chandelure were looking really threatening to the team, so in came Specially defensive Zapdos. This is basically the set off Smogon, except instead of 20 Speed I'm running 28 Speed and less Defense. 180 SpDef EVs and a Calm Nature let Zapdos avoid the 2HKO from Specs Chandelure, and it gives it great special bulk. Volt Switch grabs momentum for the team, and it completes the VoltTurn core in the team that consists of Mega-Beedrill, Cobalion, and Zapdos. Heat Wave lures Forretress and other Steel and Grass types. Roost improves the longevity of Zapdos, and it can now serve as yet another bulky pivot for the team. For things like Hydreigon that can 2HKO Zapdos, Roost on the Draco so that you can easily live the next attack because of the SpAtk drop that is penalized. Use Zapdos to come in and soak up special hits that the rest of the team that can't take them too well. This mon is also crucial hazard control that Mega-Beedrill requires to not be worn down.

Just a final few thoughts about this team, the team is really based around my personal playstyle and how I like to play, so I tried to describe how I personally would use each Pokemon within a match to try and explain the inner workings of this team. This team has been rather successful and has had a consistent winning record on the UU ladder, as well as doing well in tours most of the time. This team is one of the most fun teams and successful teams I've ever made, so I hope you guys enjoyed reading my RMT, and be sure to give helpful feedback and constructive criticism!

Last edited:
Ay there fam, I remember facing this team back in a tournament and you did pretty good there from what I've seen. I feel like it does a nice job of blending in Voltturn with a Regen core on the team without feeling so forced in together. Only thing I'd probably suggest is Lefties Cobalion < Shuca Cobalion as to seeing as the team might have some problem against some threats like Mamoswine or Mega-Aerodactyl once some of the team is already weakened. Other than that great team you got there man

Hey pdt, very nice team oo
The only change that I note that you should improve aside of Shuca on Coba, is changing Pursuit to Drill Run on Mega-Beedrill, as Drill Run can hit only Fire-Types with some effectiveness, and they can be handed with Slowkling.

hi. I would actually recommend having pursuit on bee bc other wise you honestly have nothing for zam. Yes you can u-turn on zam and such, but i'm pretty sure any decent player would switch out their zam in that case, unless if its sash (when if u u-turn they still don't get the kill). Pursuit lets you capitalize on them switching and thus removing one of the largest problems your team has.

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Hi guys! Thanks for the suggestions.
First off, I was thinking about Shuca on Cobalion once I saw how much damage Knock Off Variants of Mamoswine could do to the team. After a bit of feedback, I decided Shuca Berry over Leftovers on Cobalion was the right choice. Next, I can see how pursuit would be good on Beedrill, but honestly I don't think it's absolutely necessary. I've done enough testing with this team to see that Alakazam isn't a huge threat. Then again, I see your point of view so I'm going to slash Pursuit with Drill Run, and let the player decide.

Thanks for rating this team! :)
- PDT

Yo,
I've used M. Bee for a long time, and I can tell you, he's one of the best cleaners in UU.
I normally run Drill Run on Bee, but in this case, Knock Off would probably be better because Krook can usually handle Kazam pretty well, although your team lacks priority and that might be a problem. Plus, almost no one likes having their item removed.

This next part is optional, but I would run Watmel/Cherry Berry w/ Natural Gift on Tangrowth to do a lot of damage to bulky Steel types such as M. Aggron and even other Tangrowth.

I hope I helped :3

Tried out the team. Pretty successful and very fun. One issue I have had is with Dragon Dance sweepers, particularly Haxorus. All it has to do is get a clean switch on anyone but Krookodile or Cobalion and it just gets free reign. I didn't really use Roost (on Zapdos) at all in the 6-7 games I played, maybe swap for HP Ice? Althought HP Ice does even less than Cobalion CC.

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Thanks for the feedback! Honestly against DDance threats I try to put enough pressure on them to not let them set up, and tangrowth can tank a +2 Outrage from even a Haxorus. I do evidently see the threat, but honestly I don't really have a way to fix this without changing the function of the team.

Roost is honestly for longer match ups against things like balance were Zapdos is easily worn down by repeatedly switching into attacks, and roost is a nice asset to have in those particular matchups. Thanks for the feedback though, it definitely clears up some of the weaknesses that I was starting to see with the team. :)

-PDT

Hey PinkDragonTamer, cool team you have here. I am a fan of Tangrowth + Slowking Bulky Offense and I think you did a very solid job making that work. Overall I think you have yourself a pretty decent build here although there are some clear weaknesses. For example, Hydreigon, Alakazam, Sub DD Gyarados, and Sableye all do a ton of work to your team. I do not have any team-change suggestions to make but I have some Set/EV spread suggestions to make that I think will overall better the effectiveness of your team.

My first suggestion is to run Leftovers > Rocky Helmet on Tangrowth with an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA with a Relaxed Nature. The use of speed on the Tangrowth is honestly pointless as speed creeping SR pert doesn't matter as it can not touch you whatsoever and you OHKO with Giga Drain. Leftovers is a better option as Rocky Helmet does not do anything amazingly in particular and the Leftovers recovery would be great if you got burned by Sableye. Giga Drain damage + Lefties will regain you the health Wil-O Wisp is doing so you can stall it out. To be able to counter Sub DD Gyarados, I suggest you run Protect > Sleep Powder. Protect on Tangrowth gives you 100% assurance vs any Gyarados set as you Protect the turn Bounce attacks you.

My next suggestion is to run Pursuit > Drill Run on Beedrill. I know you have it slashed with Drill Run, but LO Alakazam completely demolishes your team and without Pursuit you will have trouble beating it.

My final suggestion is to run Discharge + Toxic > Volt Switch + Heat Wave on Zapdos. Hydreigon and Sableye really destroy your team and you do not really have a way to handle either well. Toxic would be great to catch both Hydreigon and Sableye as otherwise you need to rely on hoping they both miss their attacks. Volt Switch is obviously nice momentum, but on this team you lose more than you gain by forcing Zapdos out by clicking its only STAB. This bulky Zapdos will be doing a lot of work Pressure stalling a lot of pokemon and you cannot do that if you force yourself out by clicking Volt Switch. Feel free to use Thunderbolt but I think the 30% chance of para is worth it over 10 Base Power, although, its all preference.

Other than that, solid team and good luck!

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Thanks Christo. for the awesome advice. I agree with a lot of your changes and they will most likely be implemented. If I'm going to run toxic on Zapdos, wouldn't Thunderbolt over Discharge be better so that I don't accidentally paralyze a wall that I want to Toxic? Yeah the speed was pretty much unhelpful I just didn't want it to get free stealth rocks off if they were going to sac it. Pursuit seems like the general consensus so that's definitely the way to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)