All Gens Retro Cup of Pokemon 2021: Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
⏮ 2020 | Spreadsheet | Discord

Signups | Qualifying | Round 1 | Tiebreaker | Round 2 | Semifinals | Finals

Introduction

Retro Cup of Pokémon features all tiers absent from the World Cup of Pokémon. That means this year, it will be an RBY OU, GSC OU, ADV OU, DPP OU, BW OU, ORAS OU and SM OU tournament. Each national team is required to have 7 players, plus exactly 3 substitutes. This tournament will feature 16 teams in the first round, with team formation and qualification priority given to RCoP 2020 qualifiers, followed by WCoP teams that were not in RCoP, followed by completely new teams (that aren't supernations/rest-of-the-world). The latter rest-of-the-world will only be allowed if there are less than 16 teams. Qualifying rounds will be created if there are more than 16 entrants, in a similar way to WCoP. For the first round, players will be randomly assigned into 4 groups of 4 for each generation (×7), with the top 8 teams with the most wins collected proceeding. The seeding tiebreak will be the highest ranking points (6 points for sole 1st, 4 points for sole 2nd and 2 points for sole 3rd, shared between spots if necessary) within the group, just like WCoP and then randomization as the secondary tiebreak. The qualifying rounds and round 2 matches will be full 7 vs 7 man matchups. RBY OU will be first-to-2-wins, (best of 3 excluding ties), while the rest will be first-to-1-win.
In the event of a playoffs tiebreaker, captains of both teams will rank their preferred tiers from #1-#3. Points will be assigned to the ranks in the following way: #1 — 1000, #2 — 100, #3 — 10. The point values are arbitrary but represent the relationship of 1st choice > 2nd choice › 3rd choice when summed. The 3 tiers with the highest number of points will be selected for the tiebreaker set and managers will then choose any 3 unique players from each of their rosters to play in the determined tier spots. If there's a tie, the 3rd tier will be decided at random between the two.
Nation
Code
Captain
Vice Captain
Sub 1
Sub 2
Sub 3
Argentina
ARG
Asia
ASA
pj
eden
eden
Brazil
BRA
@
Canada
CAN
China
CHN
sstj
Europe
EUR
MSnt
France
FRA
SFG
Germany
GER
vani
Italy
ITA
@
Pais
Latin America
LA
Oceania
OCE
Spain
SPA
@
UK
UK
@
@
US Northeast
NE
Isza
US South
SOU
Gray
USSR
USR
Egor
Egor
Nation
Code
RBY OU
GSC OU
ADV OU
DPP OU
BW OU
ORAS OU
SM OU
Argentina
ARG
ACR1
Asia
ASA
pj
aqh
Brazil
BRA
TDNT
Canada
CAN
China
CHN
lza
Europe
EUR
Void
mael
France
FRA
Frrf
BIHI
Germany
GER
vani
Italy
ITA
Niko
Latin America
LA
Haru
Oceania
OCE
Spain
SPA
UK
UK
US Northeast
NE
emma
Star
US South
SOU
Gray
USSR
USR

Pools:
GSC #1: Estarossa / Fakee / Oibaf / vani
ADV #2: gorex / nishikino kotori / Kyundai / Cousiin
ADV #3: Heysup (0-1) / Star (1-0) / BluesEnergy00 / Shakur
ADV #4: baddummy / Coupe de Boule / Jyuux / Emeral

Deadline: Monday July 19th 08:00 AM EDT / 2:00 PM CEST

Good luck, have fun, and fight for your country! (also remember to post replays)

Last edited by a moderator:

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
bold: winner - underlined: 2nd place

RBY #1: Diophantine / emma / Silksong / pacattacc

Silksong is pretty comfortably the best RBY here I think, made GC finals last year and all that - the other three can't claim anything close. Dio is probably a better pokemon player than the other two but they have metagame familiarity going for them, overall it's really close - I'd give a slight edge to emma but there's not much between them

RBY #2: ForgottenOnes / DoctorPall / Aliss / Serpi

Pretty obvious picks on the surface but I think it will be interesting to see if Mister Tim's understudy can pull any upsets here. I don't know much about DoctorPall but I could see them going 2-1 with proper guidance

RBY #4: StitChuu / Luirromen / Justamente / Thiago Nunes

Justamente is currently in GC top 8, TNunes has had some good results in the past as well. Can't say the same for the other two.

GSC #2: pj / mc56556 / Zokuru / BlazingDark - Zokuru vs France, spicy. Giving him a small edge. pj is very competent too, not sure about his metagame knowledge though
GSC #3: EviGaro / RampageWebber / Kenix / Lord Thorx - EviGaro def has potential to take some shock wins here, giving it to people who have actually played gsc before though
GSC #4: mad dawg / Mister Tim / TopLel TopKek / Hyogafodex - Hyoga is pretty clear rank 1 here in my mind, not much separates Tim and TLTK

ADV #1: Golden Sun / CyberOdin✝ / mikmer / SuperEpicAmpharos - I think mikmer is very good but it's GS and CyberOdin, can't bet against the legends
ADV #2: gorex / nishikino kotori / Kyundai / Cousiin - bold call but China tends to be extreme danger and this guy took down Gtcha in quals which is probably more credentials than anyone else here
ADV #4: baddummy / Coupe de Boule / Jyuux / Emeral - emeral might even be the slightly better player but The Dummy is an adv veteran

DPP #2: DeepBlueC / Laurel / ElectricityCat / lighthouses - I think this is an extremely close group so I'm going to not bold DBC because it looks flashier if I predict against the veteran, realistically I think the top 3 is on just about the same level with ECat slightly behind
DPP #3: shade / Haru / Sheik : / The SPrinkLer - will be surprised by anything other than a spronkler 3-0, the rest are competent tho
DPP #4: Stallion / Nazip / Void / BIHI - void tends to switch off in these unofficials, bihi's first on the basis of being better and stallion's second on the basis of being okay and giving a shit. void fights bihi for first if he plays in top condition

BW #1: Morale / -PkmTrainerBlue- / Finchinator / Shy9899 - fonch is great, predicting for China again off the back of China being generally dangerous even if I don't know their players at all
BW #2: Bushtush / aqh / Stareal / TectonicDestroyer - bushtush 3-0s with his eyes closed, giving 2nd to stareal because I've heard the name a bit more than the other two but I'd be lying if I said I ever watched any of the other three play a game of pokemon
BW #3: Persephone / A Hero's Destiny / jacob / Wait2Seconds - very interesting group, none of these players are in their prime and they were pretty close even when they were in their primes, so it's hard to say who will emerge victorious through the crust. I have a good feeling about W2S but you could show me this group ending with literally any scoreline and I'd say yeah fair enough

ORAS #1: baconeatinassassin / jonfilch / egalvanc / Padox - germany is broken in newer gens, this is known. close fight between jon and egal for 2nd, baconeatinassassin is a name I've never heard of but one I'm certainly glad to hear because it is funny
ORAS #3: Gingy / wuqianying / Pohjis / Luigi - theres been a small mishap with lineups and ive heard wuqian will be slotting in here, he's heat. pohjis is immaculate though
ORAS #4: Splash / AmyQuaris / Enzonana. / Hyssou - Splash is the only notable player here, giving 2nd to Enzonana on the off chance of this allowing me to farm reaction score as I understand he is a popular player to meme about

SM #2: haxrme / lza / StallSucksBro / Welli0u - The Well should have this one but lza and haxrme both looked competent in WCoP, fun group
SM #3: Skypenguin / Insult / mael / Ox the Fox - Jesus christ what is this group lmao. Big fan of Insult and moderately a fan of mael but all four are obviously very good
SM #4: yelodash / Eric079 / ACR1 / Charmflash - charmflash will bring some dumb shit and win anyway, yelodash and ACR1 are at a pretty similar level I think but yelodash drafted me for some side discord pl so I'm underlining his name as a token of gratitude

this is the real world cup. let's have a good tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)