[revamp] A Guide to D/P/P Uber Battling

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Blissey: The supreme special wall in standard play returns! With 255 base HP and 135 Special Defense, she does not need to be explained much. However, with the insanity of special attacks in Ubers, Blissey is often geared to the special defensive side rather than the usual physical defensive department. This by no means leaving the defense untouched. Blissey needs at least 100 Defense (stat) in Ubers. In Ubers, one doesn’t want Blissey to die in 2 Dragon Claws from Giratina, or OHKOed by a Metagross’s Pursuit. Also, the normal Seismic Toss/Thunder Wave/Softboiled/Ice Beam Blissey set is not very effective in Ubers. For maximum special walling capabilities, people go with Thunder, Ice Beam, Softboiled and either Calm Mind or Psych Up. Psych Up can grab stat boosts from things like Latios if he Calm Minds quite a bit, while Calm Mind lets it stat up on Pokémon who may not set up like Roar-less Giratina. Occasionally, Blissey will carry Toxic to break down walls, and this is also a reason why in Ubers there exists many a Steel-type. Blissey can also aide its team by using a Wish + Protect strategy, which can heal walling Pokémon that cannot heal themselves, like Wobbuffet and Groudon.
I have to agree with pi face that I prefer the 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD spread with Blissey. It helps if Palkia manages to lay an Aqua Tail on Blissey, if Scizor switches in and she needs to take Pursuit damage, if she really needs to use Toxic on Supporting Groudon, or any suprise physical attack in general. The extra HP EVs have very little effect on her SpD, and more often than not, I find I don't need them (especially seeing as SpecsOgre will always 2HKO her).

Also, I won't argue the mention of Calm Mind and Psych Up, but it should be mentioned that Blissey will have a very hard time trying to get stat boosts thanks to Rayquaza, Wobbuffet, non-supporting Groudon, Garchomp and other hard physical hitters.

I think that the whole blissey section needs to be changed. Most good players use wish/protect to heal instead of softboiled. This aids in prediction with palkia (to see whether choiced or mixed), scizor, tyranitar, garchomp etc. This way blissey can also heal teamates rather than just sit there using softboiled.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
After thinking about the time I do tend to make teams that are weak to stall, so after a lot of thought I decided that adding in Forretress and Origin would be very helpful.

As for Origin I suggest the Sub Calm Mind set, which along with Palka, Should just destroy stall teams. Forretress is a bit more difficult to find a space, but perhaps over Groudon would find a nice change, though now we have 2 4x weak pokemon to Fire-type moves, but Palkia should take that fairly nicely.

So Yeah, change Groudon to a Support Spin Forretress, and change Kyogre to Origin. I think this will help how it feels about stall, as it should have no problems with it now. Remember to give Forretress Payback for Giratina, though.

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The team has been updated and so has the threat list, so somebody could please check it over. I think this should be very near ready to be HTMLized.

edit: thanks joshe for some small, albeit important, grammar things.

Mew, however, is the glue that holds the team together. Mew is the ultimate baton passer, as it can pass +2 of whatever stat it chooses.
Have a phazer? No, but since Ninjask is the only Baton passer in Ubers, and is rather uncommon due to the appearance of Stealth Rock, it is not much of a deal.
What?

Wobbuffet has a ton of very helpful moves, which not only helps it gain a KO, but also set up other Pokémon. The moves are as straightforward for Wobbuffet as it can get. Encore something the opponent does, then use one of the other three moves. Safeguard if the opponent is locked into a status move, Mirror Coat if it's a special attack or Counter if it is a physical attack. Wobbuffet is extremely hard to OHKO and is almost guaranteed a KO or two per match. It helps out by letting Kyogre get in, which in turn also allows Giratina-O to get a Substitute up when the Encored Pokémon switches out. The EVs on this set are a bit different than the norm, as Wobbuffet can take special attacks a bit better, but is still unfortunately 2HKOed by a Groudon's Earthquake.
Cut bolded as team no longer has Kyogre.

Deoxys-S: Deoxys-S is almost always a lead, which Scizor deals with with Bullet Punch, U-turn, and Pursuit. Non-leads can be dealt with by Giratina-O (if it doesn't have Shadow Ball) or Dialga. Forretress can spin away its entry hazards.
Not with authority. Doexys-s gets two layers of entry hazards minimum. Even then you have to predict between pursuit and bullet punch to even get the kill. Deoxys-s has enough health for a switchin to rocks later for more spikes. Choose pursuit if he stays in, he gets that layer of spikes right away.

The article looks ready to me, id only point out palkia can only switch in once on Choice Specs Kyogre with rocks up. The second time is ohko unless you damage kyogre to make it use surf even then you have to keep palkia safe.

Im using the team on the ladder right now. Its usable at least.

Latias should be banned from the Uber tier since it is the second most powerful Pokemon in the game and Arceus being THE strongest of all. Not only is Latias fast she even has high special stats, instant healing moves. Latias is the reason why Choice Scarf Garchomp and Palkia are on so many teams.

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Latias should be banned from the Uber tier since it is the second most powerful Pokemon in the game and Arceus being THE strongest of all. Not only is Latias fast she even has high special stats, instant healing moves. Latias is the reason why Choice Scarf Garchomp and Palkia are on so many teams.
The wrong people have been running our suspect tests. We need this guy :O.

But in all seriousness, ScarfChomp/Palkia exist for Rayquaza/Dialga etc, not Latias. Also you can't ban something from Ubers -_-'

joshe

the best
I think you forgot about DD-rayquaza. Latias isn't the most power uber. Palkia has been called the most powerful many times because it doesn't have a 'true' counter. Arceus isn't even out yet, so you have no bias as to how powerful it might be. Also the only reason latias is even usable is because of soul dew, which you said nothing about. Choice Scarf Garchomp and Palkia are not only some of the best revenge killers in the uber tier, but they check and revenge many threats, not 'just' Latias. I'm sorry but why would we want latias banned? Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Palkia, Dialga, Lugia, etc... are all used more, and are better imo than latias. You didn't even talk about Latios, who has 20 more base Spatk.

The reasons you gave won't even make a tiny dent in anyones mind about latias being banned. you only gave facts about latias's good Special based stats which are 110, and 130 in spdef. Now with Soul Dew (which you didn't even mention in your argument), its stats are boosted 1.5x, which, with a timid nature, its special attack tops out at 478. any uber poke can easily hit that with a life orb, and you also never mentioned anything about it being able to boost those stats with Calm Mind, only mentioning an instant recovery move (recover or roost), which many other pokemon have, not only just in the uber tier. so your saying that we should ban a pokemon for having an instant recovery move. that'll never happen.

Latias will never be banned from the uber tier. I can tell you that without any regrets.

EDIT: GEC 9.9 you're too quick lol.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sorry for saying this so late, but this was something I just thought of now.

Team check?

This is an evaluation of the sample team. Do they all come together?
  • Have switch-ins to the major Ubers? Yes
  • Have a special sweeper? Yes (Giratina-O, Palkia and Dialga)
  • Have a physical sweeper? Yes (Palkia and Scizor)
  • Have resistances to Dragon, Ice, Electric, Psychic, Dark, Ghost, Bug, Fighting, Ground, Water, Fire, Steel and Rock? The team resists them all.
  • Have a Spinner? Yes (Forretress).
  • Have a phazer? No, but since Ninjask is the only Baton passer in Ubers, and is rather uncommon due to the appearance of Stealth Rock, it is not much of a deal.
  • Have a weather changer? No, but the team doesn't particularly need either type of weather.
  • Have a Spiker/Stealth Rocker? Yes (Forretress)
  • Have a sleep talker? No, but Scizor has a Lum Berry. Also, a good portion of Darkrai are leads, which Scizor takes care of.
Can we change around the order of these preferences? I would have this (preferences in italics and comments in red):

Have switch-ins to the major Ubers? If you do not have a switch-in to one of the major Ubers, it will cause your team a great deal of strive every time you play it (and as it is a major Uber, this will occur regularly).
Have a Stealth Rocker? Stealth Rock is such a god damn good move that almost all offensive, balanced and stall teams use.
Have resistances/(add in "immunities") to Dragon...? Add Normal for dealing with SD Ray's and Lucario's Extremespeed, and add Grass for dealing with Grass Knot and Skymin. Remove Pyschic and Steel, because no one ever uses those offensive typing.
Have a physical sweeper?
Have a special sweeper? This should be after physical sweeper, because Blissey is arguably a better special wall than Lugia/Giratina are physical walls. Very few special sweepers beat Blissey whilst Lugia isn't always reliable in beating common physical threats e.g. Groudon has Stone Edge, Thunderwave and Swords Dance, and Lugia also has a SR weakness, and Giratina lacks a reliable recovery move outside STalk and cannot wall Rayquaza.
Have no more than 3 Pokemon on the team who are weak to Stealth Rock? Something I added in, but I feel that if you have more than 3, your team will be taking far too much damage from Steatlh Rock to function as well as it should (keeping in mind that Spinning can be easily blocked by Giratina).
Have a weather changer? Even if it doesn't help your team, it can hinder opposing teams. Plus Kyogre and Groudon are excellent Pokemon (and we can't forget Tyranitar as well).
Have a sleep talker? It's above a spinner/spiker etc. because it has use on any team for handling Darkrai, whilst the other choices are almost never used on offensive teams and are more suited to stall teams.
Have a Spiker?
Have a Toxic Spiker? After Spiker, because of Deoxys (any form).
Have a spinner? After Spiker/T Spiker, because the only Rapid Spinner ever seen in Ubers is Forretress, who is also a Spiker and Toxic Spiker, and spinning is only worth it if there are Spikes and/or Toxic Spikes to remove as well as Stealth Rock.
Have a phazer? I see this as unimportant. As stated already, the main Baton Passer (Mew) just Taunts you, and Ninjask is very uncommon. You're better off having a way to deal with the Baton Passed sweeper than relying solely on phazing. Phazing is only really needed on stall teams.

I would have quoted the earlier section describing this, but the quote size would have been massive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)