Metagame Revelationmons

Ducky

Aw Phooey
is a Contributor to Smogon
realistically, its just something i forgot to take out of the set haha. i did actually replace it for x-scissor, though.

so, i actually did end up changing horn leech back to a Grass move and Close Combat into a fairy move, wich dos kinda? seem better.
I prefer using darkest lariat as fairy stab and keeping cc as fighting, but other than that the changes look good!

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Was having fun with a team until I started running into the same people again and again so I think I'll call it quits for now.

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Roost
- U-turn

Body Press is pretty stupid and if the opposing team is heavily Physical you often just win on the spot. Very helpful defensive presence even with a setup-set. You may be asking where Defog is, and that's something I asked myself as well until remembering the point of this team, which is to throw up hazards and have the opponent Defog for you.

Mew @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Soft-Boiled
- Scald
- Volt Switch

Gross mon. I don't know why this can live so much. 72 Spe to always outpace Heatran so if you get owned by Scarf EP like I did you can play off that. Lay down Spikes often, use Scald to play the burn lottery and Volt Switch can surprise Waters trying to come in on repeated Scalds and is useful pivoting.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

This is the rocker because Landorus has an awful set.

Tapu Koko @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- U-turn

I don't know which order of STAB is better. Brave Bird in slot 1 lets you hit very hard but 90 BP Fairy-type Wild Charge sucks. This setup leaves you without a nuke option but more balanced attacking options. Roost can let you heal off self-damage if needed for longer games.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Future Sight

Also unsure about this, you could probably double-up on STAB moves somewhere but I like the extra power Moonblast provides alongside Terrain. Hope that the situation never calls you to use the last two moves and you're golden. And haha guess I forgot to invest 4 EVs look at how professional I am.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 240 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Lando is another Pokemon that is good at making progress even when you're running something off-meta. In this case, dual dance Lando can be extremely threatening late-game with its good STAB combo - just make sure you have a way to deal with Corv or have weakened it. Knock Off is generally so good that you still get a ton of utility out of this set even when its designed to clean late-game or break mid-game. 180 Spe lets it outpace +1 Base 110s after Rock Polish. 88 HP lets you look smarter with your EVs but they're completely random.

Goal with this team is try to get down hazards and bring in your offense mons to lay waste to the opponent's team. My advice is to load into good matchups: this lets you win a lot more consistently than you would otherwise. Also, don't underestimate the power of Corv's Iron Defense: you can tank a lot of hits with that and the power of boosted Flying Body Press is completely bonkers.
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Roost
- U-turn

Mew @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Soft-Boiled
- Scald
- Volt Switch

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- U-turn

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Future Sight

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Yache Berry
EVs: 88 HP / 240 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Threatlist (not for this team just in general):

:entei: This is the only ESpeeder I'm scared of, it's really strong, spreads Burn, and already has great coverage thanks to EQ.
:flygon: I didn't think Boomburst would be good on this but thinking about it now people ran Boomburst Swellow back in the day. This is horrifying please bring a good SpDef mon to tank it.
:polteageist: Dumb idiot sweeper I don't like him, next week I might make a team that uses Polteageist what a cool mon.
:blacephalon: This isn't doing anything different it just 2HKOs the entire metagame.
:kyurem: Same as above but trying to guess the move type it used can be a pain.
:corviknight: Lots of potential sets from this one. Defensive is good, Iron Defense is good, Power Trip is a nightmare if it catches you off guard. Wow, who saw this coming.
:Basculin: Big Fish will delete any mon in front of it, and itself, with Adaptability Head Smash. If you see Big Fish, give an earnest and heartfelt goodbye to the Pokemon on your team tasked with being sacrificed to the Fish God.
:aerodactyl: Aero's not there yet but I see a lot of potential with this guy, fast and hits hard with Double Edge while avoiding recoil thanks to Rock Head. Shame it has poor Attack so it really needs to rely on strong STAB or a Choice Band, but when it goes good Aero is quite powerful.
:lycanroc-dusk: Losing CC as coverage sucks but the upside is having one of the hardest-hitting moves in the entire metagame. Terrifying to play against unless you have a very fat Ground that isn't neutral v. Rock.

iapt

the unsuspecting victim of darkness in the valley
is a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hello, i just hit number 3 on the revelation mons ladder with a very funny (and kinda busted team).

1638410685868.png

as of 9pm est 12/1/2021

DISCLAIMER: This is only a semi-serious team that i thought would be funny

:gengar::mimikyu::blacephalon::aegislash::marowak-alola::polteageist:

So, this team is a mono ghost in an effort to show that ghost is a totally broken type and has some ridiculous mons.

This wont be super in depth descriptions as its not a super serious team but I'll do my best to give the gist of the mons

Gengar:
if this guy gets a sub, he can just win games with nasty plot. the slight power boost and a poison chance has honestly made a pretty noticeable difference to me and having a stab healing move is always good.

Mimikyu:
This mon has been one of the stars of the show so far, having swords dance basically for free and an incredibly strong ghost (read: broken) attack and another stab healing attack makes it an incredibly powerful attacker, especially paired with the capability to revenge kill threats.

Blacephalon:
The speed control of the team, ghost fire blast is incredible, trick is always great especially with the surprising amount of blisseys around, psyshock helps with them too and flamethrower is just an extra fire stab. quite a few of my wins have been people thinking i was specs or sash and going something like terrak or koko and just dying

Aegislash:
This mon is ridiculous. Ghost close combat coming off of banded 140 attack is very threatening to 99% of the mons in the tier, and if you can get a prediction right, the other 1% died to steel head smash (if its blissey, you do too but its hilarious)

Alolawak:
This guy has been putting in quite a bit of work especially for not being on a tr team and not being on a gg team with 130 speed. It can tank a decent amount and often ko back with ridiculous stabs.

Polteageist:
Ahhhh, the bringer of wins in the first 5 turns. If this mon gets a shell smash and a weak armor proc, things will die. Sucker punch is there to pick off weak enemies and things with priority like scizor and lycanroc.

Now that we're done with that, some final thoughts on the meta on Day 1:
Extreme speed is very common, rightfully so. Eleki, entei, lucario and zydog are all very strong abusers and zydog in particular has other qualities with thousand arrows.
Cloyster is something that is very cool, having 2 good stabs and being able to clean up a lot after a shell smash.
Thundurus appreaciates having a flying stab and is very solid rn imo
Skarmory is pretty damn cool, sturdy being a great ability for it.

i regrettably dont have any replays to share atm since most of my wins have been either blace or polteageist sweeps lol.

Thanks for reading, have a good day, and most importantly, enjoy Revelation Mons!

e: alolawak should probably have flare blitz > polt in move 3, meant to change but forgot

Byleth

Retirement
Very early post for this meta, but I have just hit 3rd (so lazy to go for first even though its inches away) and am going to share a more polished version of rain that I think is stupid right now (shoutouts to 42f on the ladder for the Kingdra set inspiration)

revmons 3rd.jpg

:Pelipper: :Barraskewda: :Thundurus-Therian: :Ferrothorn: :Kingdra: :Tornadus-Therian:rain is dumb, rain is so dumb

So the general idea of the team, like any rain team, is to set your rain up. Except when your rain is up, you just absolutely destroy anything that attempts to walk.

:barraskewda: Take for example Barraskeda, who has Close Combat. Let's say we're tired of Liquidation, and want to OHKO/2HKO almost the entire meta and turn it into water. We now have a really fast mon that does stuff like:
252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Ferrothorn in Rain: 183-216 (51.9 - 61.3%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew in Rain: 466-549 (115.3 - 135.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory in Rain: 264-312 (79 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro in Rain: 156-185 (39.5 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (slowbro even has to watch its hp lol)

please do not run double edge u KO yourself so fast and the water stab is so strong u don't need fighting cc

:Thundurus-Therian: The meta is mostly offensive at the moment, so skewda just eats up most teams without a fat water resist like slowbro tang phys dex pex but those can just be flip turned on anyway and brings in another beast on the team, Thundurus-Therian. Thundy here acts as the breaker/volt immune for the team, but in this meta it can now gain flying stab (better offensive rain zapdos, if you want to put it like that since Thunder is basically Flying Hurricane) which shreds most defensive mons because nothing common will reliably switch into this due to Nasty Plot. Gets rid/chips Blissey for Kingdra and stuff like Ferro and other grasses, definitely give this mon a try.

:Ferrothorn: Defensive backbone for most rain, pretty easy to understand. Steel Knock lets Ferrothorn check Kyurem and remove its item at the same time, which is incredibly busted since I can free up a slot to run all of Stealth Rock, Toxic, and Leech Seed. Have a feeling we'll maybe be seeing things like this later on in the meta? A lot of defensive mons benefit from being able to have their utility move stab, as they'll free up a moveslot to run something else they usually wouldn't be able to fit without giving up something in return.

:Kingdra: Not really much different from regular Kingdra, but Hurricane is nice as it gives you more PP than Hydro Pump and you don't have to worry about missing in the rain, so Kingdra as a cleaner becomes much more consistent.

:Tornadus-Therian: Standard rain pick for its long term grass repellant regen thingy it's got going on, but wanted to touch on why the Torn here is sludge over Hurricane on this build, and pretty briefly it's much more punishing when things like Zapdos or Koko try to switch in on it now, since they risk Poison every time they do now and it's a reliable stab outside of rain so ta-da.

This team is being shared while rain is free, cause I think rain is ridiculous at the moment so abuse this team for free points lol.

Avalugg @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Blacephalon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Overheat
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Melmetal @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 128 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Barbaracle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tough Claws
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Liquidation
- Superpower
- Shell Smash

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Surf

Attachments

KaenSoul

FuegoAlma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Messed around with stall and hail in an alt
:ferrothorn: :slowbro: :landorus-therian: :kyurem: :toxapex: :corviknight:
https://pokepast.es/31426d6626859608
Body press is broken in this format, it allow defensive mons to also deal a lot of damage and with some pressure of hazards + knock off spam the team can sweep while tanking hits. Kyurem is dumb and dont need to take advantage of the format to be good. And a lot of mons are missing key coverage moves, allowing stall to beat stuff it shouldnt.
Was doing fine, but rain teams are too annoying, the team beat any swift swimmer but stuff like NP Thundurus-t are just too much to handle as it turns thunder into hurricane and deals absurb amounts of damage.

:ninetales-alola: :arctozolt: :arctovish: :tapu-lele: :slowbro: :landorus-therian:
https://pokepast.es/71194ecdae47c982
Bolt beak is restricted, but Fishious Rend isnt and Arctovish isnt much different from Zolt and we all know how good he is.
Hail feels fine, Rain is everywhere and Nine is really hard to switch into for them i did lose one time because i wasnt using freeze dry, rain is stupid Slowbro and Lando allow you to bring the arctos safely, lele is to stop priority, as Ice just happens to be weak to most priority moves you find.

Last edited:

Dr. Phd. BJ

aphasia
is a defending SCL Champion
OMPL Champion
Screenshot 2021-12-03 2.04.47 PM.png

I've been laddering a lot of revmons, and it has been a very painful fun experience. I felt as if the team I used to top the ladder with is unique, and I thought I would share it on the thread. The team was initially speed built on mobile before revmons was announced to be a ladder. I built it so I could spam the tier leader with invites, in addition to getting absolutely rolled in a roomtour. However, the team has undergone quite a few changes since that time. The team is really solid, and has great matchups vs weather, trick room, and can even handle ditto. Without further ado, the team

How to Play -
The team concept is very simple, you must keep rocks off at all costs and keep all 5 focus sashes in tact. Keeping rocks off the field is more important than setting up rocks. The duo of lead aero + taunt thundy almost always keeps hazards off the field. After you let lead aero die, you just click buttons and profit. Azumarill is ev'd to outspeed skarm and corv comfortably, and Thundurus-T has enough hp to live 3 seismic tosses from blissey. I've noticed a lot of people leading slowbro vs aerodactyl, so making aerodactyl toxic might be the wave.

Replays -
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8revelationmons-1464780795-szcr3jwo9k7iqamvgi1p6uzsb91rz4ypw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8revelationmons-1465128004-ozojdgr5xo7yfrcq8vtvyj11pqzvgufpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8revelationmons-1465164387-qc5gxr402a355e93b9n7b8uimokw11spw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8revelationmons-1465374110-lobdsnvmzgbmukzeaszmik34zpfhsuzpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8revelationmons-1465916495-a4zcrng3s6ztwamcza7ge5sevigr0pnpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8revelationmons-1465991015-w7w9gm5yma103sewxlevs77ibvtheadpw

Import -
Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum

Kartana @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance

Blaziken @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Thunder Punch

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Double-Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake / Toxic
- Taunt

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Explosion

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt

Blacephalon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Expanding Force
- Overheat / Foul Play / idk whatever
- Trick

just putting this here. this set can delete teams if you have psychic terrain up. often you'll have enough boosts after psychic terrain ends to just sweep outright.
and yeah you need lele for this. probably also something that beats ttar since it hard walls blace

https://pokepast.es/6f5d7f18cf18b471

Some offense team:
Choice Scarf Kartana @ Knock Off, Leaf Blade
Stealth Rocks Landorus-Therian @ Knock Off, Earthquake
Choice Band Tapu Koko @ Quick Attack, Brave Bird
Assault Vest Tyranitar @ Earthquake, Dragon Tail
Tornadus-Therian @ Sludebomb
Clefable @ Tri Attack

Basically a generic offense team with a slow pivot in Teleport Clefable. Tri Attack can be changed to Seismic Toss, tho I figured the 20% status chance is neat.
Edit: Moved Defog from now jolly Kartana to Tornadus-Therian. Tyranitar now runs Superpower.
Edit2: I swapped Clefable for Slowbro. I like max defense + stab Body Press.
Slowbro @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Body Press
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Teleport
Edit3: Gigalith as an alternative to Tyranitar.
Gigalith @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock / Body Press
- Toxic
- Protect

Last edited:
1638787736855.png

Onix @ Eviolite
Ability: Rock Head
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

can use curse or rock polish for a more offensive set. just plain nasty

UT

Roaring 20s, tossing pennies in the pool
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
Hello Revmaniacs! With the ladder having been up for several days, I wanted to post a team that I have been having some success with, and some general thoughts on the state of the meta so far. TL;DR: here is the team, meta is fun!
Peak.JPG
The Team

Blacephalon @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Flamethrower
- Knock Off

Blacephalon gets several major buffs in Rev, most notably much stronger Ghost STAB and being able to hit Blissey harder with Fire Psyshock. While it is tempting to go Specs or Scarf, I have found Heavy-Duty Boots to be the most consistent option to allow it to come in multiple times per game and wear down the other team. Knock is mostly here to annoy good switch-ins by taking away Boots/Vests/etc. Very few things can switch into Blace multiple times, especially if they lose their item early, and it can force progress fairly easily.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Lando is role compression personified: it spreads paralysis, sets hazards, is a soft check to most physical attackers, deals solid damage, and pivots, all of which are valuable additions to this team. Hazards in particular are very nice to have, if not mandatory, to limit the number of times your opponents dumb breakers can come in. The addition of flying STAB is nice, but does not change his role significantly from standard play.

Shedinja @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Wonder Guard
Adamant Nature
- Leech Life
- Poltergeist
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Probably the most surprising mon on this team, especially since it does not directly benefit from the Rev mechanic at all, I have been very impressed with how Shed has performed on this team. With the power level of breakers being significantly higher, but coverage moves being much less common, Shedinja is able to wall a surprising portion of the metagame including Tapu Koko, most Extreme Speeders, and most Swift Swimmers. Ghost STAB especially with priority is always niche as well, and it can do more damage than you expect if given a free turn.

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Body Slam
- Roost
- U-turn
- Defog

Corviknight does what it always does; check physical attackers, clear hazards, and pivot. The major benefit it gets from Rev is Flying Body Slam, which combines decent power with a very nice 30% paralysis chance, frustrating many of its common switch-ins or mons that might try and set up on it.

Blissey (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Teleport

Standard Blissey; this team is overall lacking in Special bulk, and Blissey is the easiest way to solve that. It is extraordinarily passive however, and the balance between clicking Soft-Boiled and Teleport can be a fine line to walk. It's often worth trading a decent chunk of Blissey's HP for momentum, but make sure you can actually do something with that momentum.

Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost

Koko loves finally having access to good Fairy STAB, and it's a serious threat to contend with. Electric Iron Head and Fairy Brave Bird have roughly the same Base Power in Electric Terrain, allowing it to fire off strong attacks from either STAB, while U-turn generates tons of momentum and Roost gives it more longevity than an attacker of its prowess deserves. Iron Head's 30% flinch chance is also very nice-to-have on a mon as fast as Koko.

Megagame Thoughts
Before getting started, I would like to emphasize that I am speaking for myself, as a player, and not as a council member here.

First off, the meta is a ton of fun! I have really enjoyed my time on the ladder, and seeing all the fun and creative sets that people are coming up with. While the metagame is offensive in nature, it is not as hyper-offensive as I feared, with Bulky Offense (see above) and even Balance being viable at all levels (there is probably no hope for stall though). There are a few elements that stand out as possibly stronger-than-balanced, that I would love to hear thoughts on from other players.

Blacephalon

Everyone should be familiar with Blace by now. Special Ghost coverage is insane and very difficult to handle outside of Blissey, Tyranitar, and a few other dedicated checks, all of which have their own drawbacks. It does need to pick between longevity, power, and speed, based on item, but is probably the most significant single attacker to be prepared for and dedicate a check to. This is probably what I would consider the most unhealthy element, but welcome further discussion and disagreement.

Tapu Koko

Similar to Blace, Tapu Koko has always been missing a good second STAB option, which the physical set in particular now has in spades. It's high speed tier and Base Power moves make it hit very hard, but it is prone to being chipped, especially with recoil and no easy way through common physical checks like Ferro or Lando.

Weather

I have not found weather to be a particularly unhealthy mechanic. Especially with the increased prevalence of priority, there are more checks to Swift Swimmers than normal, and the decrease in coverage moves (especially with Special Attackers often switching Hurricane to STAB) mean they have less options to blow by resists. The only element I can see being unhealthy is Barra; Water Close Combat with its amazing Speed tier invalidates even many resists.

Extreme Speed

Extreme Speed has not been overwhelming in my experience. All of our potential abusers suffer from poor defensive typing, poor bulk, or both, making it hard to switch them in for anything other than revenge kills, and even harder to set up. I have so far found Extreme Speed to be a healthy part of the metagame; it is a useful tool, but not overcentralizing.

Body Press

Body Press felt overwhelming on day one, especially in conjunction with Iron Defense and Agility or Trick Room, but I feel like the meta has already adapted and is much more manageable. Most potential Body Pressers have relatively poor special bulk, typings that leave them weak to common moves, and need several turns to reach game-breaking levels. I do not deny that Body Press is strong, but I feel like it is already well incorporated into the metagame.

Do you disagree with my assessment of what is good verse too good? Anything you think is broken that I did not mention? Please reply, and remember, if you are asking for things to be banned, replays and calcs are encouraged to help make your point.

Last edited:

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
can someone explain burn up to me? for example if you make it flying type on a moltres, how does that work with deleting typing? can you use it consecutively?
This post answers your question: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/revelationmons-omotm-for-december.3692297/page-2#post-9010188

tl;dr: Burn Up works similar to how it usually works. Only Fire-types can use it. It cannot be used consecutively. If it has Flying-type STAB then that's the only difference.

Ducky

Aw Phooey
Hello Revmaniacs! With the ladder having been up for several days, I wanted to post a team that I have been having some success with, and some general thoughts on the state of the meta so far. TL;DR: here is the team, meta is fun!
The Team

Blacephalon @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Flamethrower
- Knock Off

Blacephalon gets several major buffs in Rev, most notably much stronger Ghost STAB and being able to hit Blissey harder with Fire Psyshock. While it is tempting to go Specs or Scarf, I have found Heavy-Duty Boots to be the most consistent option to allow it to come in multiple times per game and wear down the other team. Knock is mostly here to annoy good switch-ins by taking away Boots/Vests/etc. Very few things can switch into Blace multiple times, especially if they lose their item early, and it can force progress fairly easily.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Lando is role compression personified: it spreads paralysis, sets hazards, is a soft check to most physical attackers, deals solid damage, and pivots, all of which are valuable additions to this team. Hazards in particular are very nice to have, if not mandatory, to limit the number of times your opponents dumb breakers can come in. The addition of flying STAB is nice, but does not change his role significantly from standard play.

Shedinja @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Wonder Guard
Adamant Nature
- Leech Life
- Poltergeist
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Probably the most surprising mon on this team, especially since it does not directly benefit from the Rev mechanic at all, I have been very impressed with how Shed has performed on this team. With the power level of breakers being significantly higher, but coverage moves being much less common, Shedinja is able to wall a surprising portion of the metagame including Tapu Koko, most Extreme Speeders, and most Swift Swimmers. Ghost STAB especially with priority is always niche as well, and it can do more damage than you expect if given a free turn.

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Body Slam
- Roost
- U-turn
- Defog

Corviknight does what it always does; check physical attackers, clear hazards, and pivot. The major benefit it gets from Rev is Flying Body Slam, which combines decent power with a very nice 30% paralysis chance, frustrating many of its common switch-ins or mons that might try and set up on it.

Blissey (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Teleport

Standard Blissey; this team is overall lacking in Special bulk, and Blissey is the easiest way to solve that. It is extraordinarily passive however, and the balance between clicking Soft-Boiled and Teleport can be a fine line to walk. It's often worth trading a decent chunk of Blissey's HP for momentum, but make sure you can actually do something with that momentum.

Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost

Koko loves finally having access to good Fairy STAB, and it's a serious threat to contend with. Electric Iron Head and Fairy Brave Bird have roughly the same Base Power in Electric Terrain, allowing it to fire off strong attacks from either STAB, while U-turn generates tons of momentum and Roost gives it more longevity than an attacker of its prowess deserves. Iron Head's 30% flinch chance is also very nice-to-have on a mon as fast as Koko.

Megagame Thoughts
Before getting started, I would like to emphasize that I am speaking for myself, as a player, and not as a council member here.

First off, the meta is a ton of fun! I have really enjoyed my time on the ladder, and seeing all the fun and creative sets that people are coming up with. While the metagame is offensive in nature, it is not as hyper-offensive as I feared, with Bulky Offense (see above) and even Balance being viable at all levels (there is probably no hope for stall though). There are a few elements that stand out as possibly stronger-than-balanced, that I would love to hear thoughts on from other players.

Blacephalon

Everyone should be familiar with Blace by now. Special Ghost coverage is insane and very difficult to handle outside of Blissey, Tyranitar, and a few other dedicated checks, all of which have their own drawbacks. It does need to pick between longevity, power, and speed, based on item, but is probably the most significant single attacker to be prepared for and dedicate a check to. This is probably what I would consider the most unhealthy element, but welcome further discussion and disagreement.

Tapu Koko

Similar to Blace, Tapu Koko has always been missing a good second STAB option, which the physical set in particular now has in spades. It's high speed tier and Base Power moves make it hit very hard, but it is prone to being chipped, especially with recoil and no easy way through common physical checks like Ferro or Lando.

Weather

I have not found weather to be a particularly unhealthy mechanic. Especially with the increased prevalence of priority, there are more checks to Swift Swimmers than normal, and the decrease in coverage moves (especially with Special Attackers often switching Hurricane to STAB) mean they have less options to blow by resists. The only element I can see being unhealthy is Barra; Water Close Combat with its amazing Speed tier invalidates even many resists.

Extreme Speed

Extreme Speed has not been overwhelming in my experience. All of our potential abusers suffer from poor defensive typing, poor bulk, or both, making it hard to switch them in for anything other than revenge kills, and even harder to set up. I have so far found Extreme Speed to be a healthy part of the metagame; it is a useful tool, but not overcentralizing.

Body Press

Body Press felt overwhelming on day one, especially in conjunction with Iron Defense and Agility or Trick Room, but I feel like the meta has already adapted and is much more manageable. Most potential Body Pressers have relatively poor special bulk, typings that leave them weak to common moves, and need several turns to reach game-breaking levels. I do not deny that Body Press is strong, but I feel like it is already well incorporated into the metagame.

Do you disagree with my assessment of what is good verse too good? Anything you think is broken that I did not mention? Please reply, and remember, if you are asking for things to be banned, replays and calcs are encouraged to help make your point.
I agree with most of what you said, except the part about rain and Blacephalon. Maybe it's just the fact that I have been spamming rain on the ladder since day 1, but rain is the thing that jumps out to me as the most broken. I feel that the only water resists have been Pokemon like Ferrothorn who are easily chipped down, or other offensive waters. Also, Blace hasn't yet jumped out to be as being broken, but that is probably also due to the fact that I have been using rain, but I can definitely see why it could be broken. Koko has looked very good in my opinion, but as you said it does struggle from getting chipped down easily. Finally, I would like to end off with saying that Revalationmons has been one of my favorite metagame to play and build for since I picked up AAA in February of this year. Hope everyone who reads this has a great day!

Extreme Speed

With E-speed running rampant, I’d say Tapu Lele is a pretty good pick on offensive teams. Additionally, Tapu Lele can turn Moonblast into Psychic type and Future Sight into Fairy type so that some powerful ground type can compliment it if you’d want to.

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
With E-speed running rampant, I’d say Tapu Lele is a pretty good pick on offensive teams. Additionally, Tapu Lele can turn Moonblast into Psychic type and Future Sight into Fairy type so that some powerful ground type can compliment it if you’d want to.
Future sight only remains Fairy if the user is still on the field, unless this changed, so it's not really a viable strat. Plus they would just go to Corv anyhow so it's not that amazing even if you did pull it off.

Future sight only remains Fairy if the user is still on the field, unless this changed, so it's not really a viable strat. Plus they would just go to Corv anyhow so it's not that amazing even if you did pull it off.
Is there something in the code that explains why this happens? I remember Future Sight not carrying over the boost from Items, but does it just forget its own type as well?
And does this work like it would on cart? As in Normalize Future Sight becoming Psychic when the Pokemon is off the field.

Is there something in the code that explains why this happens? I remember Future Sight not carrying over the boost from Items, but does it just forget its own type as well?
And does this work like it would on cart? As in Normalize Future Sight becoming Psychic when the Pokemon is off the field.
Yes, it's based off behaviour on cart

UT

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
Your Revelationmons Council is hard at work, and we've done a thing.

Barraskewda is banned from Revelationmons!
Quick Ban...
UT
Kris
Total​
Barraskewda
BAN​
BAN​
BAN​
BAN​
DNB​
4-1 BAN​
Rain has been a powerful force on the ladder in the short time that it has been up, and at the heart of every Rain team is Barraskewda. Water type Close Combat represents a nearly 50% power increase compared to Liquidation, and allows Barra to obliterate any non-resist, and even most resists.
252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight in Rain: 324-382 (81.2 - 95.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro in Rain: 156-185 (39.5 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Tapu Fini in Rain: 159-187 (46.2 - 54.3%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Ferrothorn in Rain: 183-216 (51.9 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
With Swift Swim and it’s ludicrous Speed, it is impossible to outspeed under Rain without priority, and it can still use its powerful Flip Turn to soften up would-be checks before its final assault.

We will be keeping an eye on several other potential threats, and to see if this ban is enough to bring Rain teams in line with the rest of the metagame, as most other abusers have tamer stats, have to sacrifice useful coverage, or lack Swift Swim. As always, the council values your input, so please share your thoughts on what’s fun/good/too good, and we can take further action if needed.

Tagging Kris to implement.

Ducky

Aw Phooey
While I can't say I am sad to see Barraskewda go, I am surprised it was banned. My opinion on Rain and Barra was/is that Rain is broken, and while Barra is the primary abuser, he was not the only thing that made it broken. However, I think that the ban will make rain more manageable, and am happy for the ban.

UT

Appeals + C&C Lead
While I can't say I am sad to see Barraskewda go, I am surprised it was banned. My opinion on Rain and Barra was/is that Rain is broken, and while Barra is the primary abuser, he was not the only thing that made it broken. However, I think that the ban will make rain more manageable, and am happy for the ban.
Generally, our tiering guidelines are to ban abusers before mechanics, and our current belief is that Barra was the most broken abuser of Rain, so it gets banned first. If we find Rain to still be overpowered down the line, and new abusers keep cropping up, we can always revisit this and consider a Drizzle/Swift Swim ban at a later date. The meta is still very young, and there is a lot we do not know yet. Certainly keep us apprised if you find Rain to still be overpowering once the ban is live!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)