Tournament Revisiting the 6th Team Tour slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
With the 2021 tournament schedule winding down and the OM Circuit Championship Playoffs underway, it's time to do some housekeeping for OMs moving forward! The OM Mod team has received a lot of input requesting a different 6th meta due to waning interest in SS Camomons and criticism about the competitiveness of the metagame. While there's merit to these claims, changing the 6th metagame without discussing it with the community has caused issues in the past, so this thread is intended to open a discussion on what the new 6th metagame should be and/or if a change is even necessary.
Do
NOT use this thread to bash people's metagame suggestions/opinions.

If you aren't already aware, this is the team tour lineup before this thread's creation:
SS Almost Any Ability
SS STABmons
SS NFE
SS Mix and Mega
SS Balanced Hackmons
SS Camomons

Here are some potential replacements that have been discussed thus far (keep in mind that you can suggest OMs that aren't in this list):
  • Inheritance
  • Godly Gift
  • Inverse
  • Tier Shift

These are barred from discussion:
  • OM Mashups (OMMs) - too much overlap with main OM formats
  • Old Gen OMs - for consistency's sake, tournaments will be current gen

Otherwise, feel free to use this thread to discuss what you think the best replacement is! And if you don't think there needs to be a change at all, you're welcome to elucidate why :]

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Extremely brief thoughts but whatever replaces Camomons needs to have a solid enough playerbase and level of investment. I've been out of OMs for a while but I don't think that's super the case for these? If one could build it up quick enough it's probably tier shift due to being the most immediately normal, although I personally love Inheritance and think it grabs the quickest.
What I really wanted to say is that as much as I railed against it hard back in the day, 2 BH might be worth considering. It seems like there's a broad enough good portion of the playerbase to fill out the slots and if nothing else is good enough it might need to step in. When I was against it we had better options, I'm not sure that's the case now. I heavily dislike BH and would not like that to be the best option but yeah I figure it should be thrown out there.

hayedenn

forgotten me already?
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hi all, I am here to support adding Godly Gift as the sixth OM for team tour slots. I should note that I am on the Godly Gift council, so I do have some bias as I really love the meta and think it'd be a great addition.

The first thing I'm going to touch on as to why I think Godly Gift should be chosen is the mechanics of the tier, which make it optimal for team diversity and interesting games. I just went and counted and GG has twenty-seven Gods that are viable, all of which have many different team styles you can use with them. I know that with some of the other tiers on the table that some of the major complaints have been the redundancy with teams and games that can feel a bit of a drag at times, which is definitely not the case with GG.

Another pro of GG is the intuitiveness of the tier that makes it easy to pick up for newer players. I understand MZ's point that none of the tiers proposed have nearly the popularity that Camomons (once) had. However, all tiers do start somewhere and I think the mechanical aspects of GG make it the tier best able to make the jump to being a tier included in OMPL. It took me really maybe an hour at most, playing with teams Unnerf had made to start making high-quality teams. The tier is very easy, and wth the most recent bans, it seems very balanced as well. GG doesn't nearly have the same issues that other tiers such as Camo have where it's inherently unbalanced, and I don't think we'll see many bans after the most recent ones. Tier Shift is a tier that can have radical changes month to month and is dependent the activity of other tiers that are out of its control, and Inheritance is perhaps one of the most difficult tiers to understand for newer OMers. It is for all of these reasons that I think GG has the most qualities we're looking for in whatever OM we add, and I think it'd make for some great OMPL games if it was selected :^)

I also believe that the OM that we add should have an active council and players involved, which Godly Gift has (me, Kris, UT, Senko who is on an LOA atm). All of us are (or were) recently active and are working very hard to make sure that Godly Gift continues to grow as an OM. We're currently working on updating the resources after our bans ^_^ which should be out hopefully soon (it is the holidays after all)

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
Inverse is an incredibly fun meta, and imo should be included if possible. OMSL saw some super interesting games of it, I rarely actively join a tier and immediately try to build my own teams and get as involved as I have with inverse, basically only happened with my main tiers Ubers and AG. The tier isn't far from normal play, the concept is super easy to understand, even being in the main series games. This would mean that even if MZ's argument for a low playerbase does come into play for these, (which in terms of strictly ladder it does) getting people into inverse wouldn't be difficult because it's not as unfamiliar as most OM's in general that aren't like NFE. In terms of tours, the 3 metas listed that were in OMSL had similar signups (15 inverse 15 inheritance 14 godly gift if I didn't miscout) so there's similar-ish interest most likely comparatively to the other options and overall is just a fairly balanced fun meta, won't speak on the other metas listed since I rarely play godly gift now and just don't play the others, but I do think inverse is a great candidate for being slotted in.

With that aside, if on the table like Ren just asked, I do think AG is a very realistic and fairly easy choice to make. Incredibly large playerbase, active great tour players who I know most of p well and are all really involved, etc. If on the table I think it should be added to the discussion and probably be the tier to beat out, but regardless inverse is based free inverse.

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
I personally think Inverse would be the best 6th slot, partly because of bias, but I also think it's quite good all around with no real bad point. The core concept is pretty easy to grasp and, while the new type chart can take some time getting used to, players can still use /weak and from my experience, you can learn it naturally after playing for a bit. Teamstyles can get decently diverse and the format feels like it still has a lot to offer. Players that have tried looking for it have found new powerful teamstyles or sets such as Psyspam or Swords Dance Tangrowth. The council is also quite active and willing to make some resources. As I mentionned before, getting into it isn't that difficult, you already know what to expect from most mons on preview and you can still go in with most regular OU mons (Minus the steel types) and do well. Even if OU mons are viable, a bunch of other lower tier mons also see use, like Scolipede or even Thwackey. The format is quite diverse and far from solved. Anyway I'm probably repeating myself a bunch here so I'll just end the post here.

iapt

the unsuspecting victim of darkness in the valley
is a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
hello folks, im just gonna put my opinion out there and hope it doesnt get buried.

so, imo the best two options here are godly gift and inheritance. Both have relatively active councils and were featured in OM Spotlight League with what seemed like decent motivation and interest, despite (sadly) that the tour didnt get too much interest but thats a different topic.

Anyways, both tiers have fairly developed metas that seem to have settled into a typical bulky teams being the most prevalent style in the case of inh and gg having many viable playstyles as beauts' post referenced. I played inheritance during omsl and really enjoyed it, but obviously that isnt a great metric. Godly gift seemed to be one of the most successful metas during omsl and has a very active and nice council (totally unbiased). I would love to say that I believe inheritance deserves this 6th slot, but it has some overlap with both aaa and stabmons (ie zarude getting grassy glide, silvally getting regenerator, cinderace getting vcreate), but I have to say that godly gift deserves the spot more. godly gift has very different mechanics compared to almost any other om. Therefore, I believe that godly gift would be the best choice for a 6th meta. I didnt really mention it, but inverse is also really cool and definitely deserves a shot.

Thanks for reading and have a good day :)

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
Are Anything Goes and OM Mashups off the table?
Sorry, this was supposed to be in the OP from the onset.

These are barred from discussion:
  • OM Mashups (OMMs) - too much overlap with main OM formats
  • Independent OMs (1v1, AG, ZU) - risk of becoming official/completely independent as non-OMs in the long-term
  • Old Gen OMs - for consistency's sake, tournaments will be current gen
  • 2v2 - possibility of becoming an independent OM

Of these options, my preferred options would be inverse and tier shift. For lack of better terminology, they have the most coherent identity of their own and their metagames are typically pretty solid.

Now, with that being said, I think we should also give serious consideration to not leaning into this dichotomy. There’s no point in removing camomons if whatever we’re going to replace it with has all the same issues but with added shafting of community members. One alternative option would be to focus more on our flagship metagames; I know BH could support more tour rep, AAA has the AAApl idea kicking around, etcetera. That could also be used to fill in gaps in the circuit and tours schedule. Slam and ribbon already work just fine with 5 metagames, after all. Team tour comps might be a bit of a thornier problem, but they’re hardly insoluble either. MZ ‘s suggestion of double BH is inelegant, but that’s not the same thing as unworkable. Perhaps we could tie in another largely independant meta in the way we do NFE; there are several options with ompl tradition backing them up. I’m sure there’s also plenty of ways I’m not thinking of as well.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
im here to support sm bh
  • vast majority of ss bh players were active in gen 7 and can support this slot. looking at omwc starters, nobody is really better in ss than in sm. on the flipside, several active sm bh players are less proficient in ss so this opens the slot up to them. some examples are anaconja, demilogic, storm eagle, karla, and dinodude. point is, the meta has a playerbase.
  • the meta is nowhere near solved, but there are a ton of established teams and playstyles. some of bh's all-time greats such as a loser, stresh, flint, morogrim, and mamp have posted a variety of teams and sets accessible to anyone who looks in the old threads. you can find anything, from boomer registeel/giratina structures, to semi-passive threat-based ogre/hooh type stuff, to exotic arc + priority. most players will be able to find something matching their preferred style, and effort you put in will be rewarded.
  • we will reconsider shedinja's inclusion in the metagame before the next ompl begins
  • for spectators, sm bh games typically play pretty quickly and have non-repetitive gameplay if at least one of the players brings something fast. paralysis is also not a huge factor.
EDIT: i didn't see the point on old gen oms not being considered which kinda sucks but the secondary choice i'd pick would be to just keep camo. the tiering action in camo has been pretty strong and the playerbase has done a solid job advancing the metagame. if any of the other contending metas had a permaladder i'd maybe change my mind but i'm not really convinced that any other playerbase is prominent to the same extent as camo's and i don't like the idea of forcing all those guys to just learn a completely different meta

MAMP

MAMP!
camo and inverse are the best options imo, but we should also consider just dropping to 5 slots and possibly making up for that by adding another 2 teams to ompl. having the same 5 metas in all our tournaments creates rly nice cohesion and consistency and having an inactive meta in our team tours i think is worse than having fewer metas. oms might just not be active enough to support 6 metas in team tours now that ag and 1v1 aren’t part of the section anymore

other alternative: bo5 aaa/nfe/bh/stab/mnm, swiss finals format

I've been lurking much more than playing most oms for the past year or so, but hopefully my opinions make sense and are worth considering

Discussed Replacements
- Inheritance
Inh is definitely among the best rotational metagames to me, having made its appearance on the elected OMotM multiple times (4 so far? has any other meta won this many times before?), and having a high amount of discussions in chatrooms even long after it's not OMotM anymore. The metagame rules is quite simple enough for anyone to pick up the meta easily, further enabling its popularity. The metagame itself is also very enjoyable. Each inheritor has a plethora of sets given by various donors, enabling diverse and creative teambuilding while not being too unpredictable or unhealthy. However, popularity on ladder is of course a different story to team tour competitiveness, and Inh is definitely among the less competitive metagames compared to the options below.

- Godly Gift
beauts said everything: the premise is extremely simple and easy to learn; there are well established resources and an active council; and GG is a really diverse yet unique metagame since almost every uber is viable as a god, while no other meta only allows 1 uber, or inherits stats from a teammate. I have never played GG myself, but from watching various tour games in OMSL I believe it has very solid potential in the future tour scene.

- Inverse
Though the playerbase/ popularity on ladder might be on the low end, I fully agree that Inverse is a great candidate for team tours. The premise, again, is extremely simple and even played in the games, and reverses the most fundamental rules of the game, making it easy to pick up and often giving a fresh feeling to teambuilding. As opposed to ladder though, past Inverse tour games have been played on a really high level, such as in OMSL and compared to Inheritance / Sketchmons. There is also an active council and established resources, which can somewhat alleviate the small playerbase problem.

- Tier Shift
I don't think TS's playerbase and popularity is close to any of the other options. While it is really easy to learn and has a ton of lower tier mons to explore, I dislike the fact that the metagame inherently is dependent on another, and that the best mons could just randomly drop in viability because it's used more in a completely unrelated metagame. It also doesn't have an active council or established resources like how the above 3 metagames do.

Other Potential Replacements
- Shared Power
1639106418656.png

Like Inheritance, SP is among the most popular metagames in chatrooms and on ladder. The metagame thread has a whopping 179K views and 802 replies, even more than AAA's and only behind BH's. It's one of the most fun and chaotic metagames I've played, giving life to cores and team styles completely unique from normal metagames. The premise is also really attractive and easy to pick up. However, I completely understand why this wasn't brought up before as a replacement option: its complex and long banlist, as well as confusing mechanics with ability-affecting moves, is often really discouraging to teambuilding; SP is known for a lot of coding issues with abilities; the metagame is quite chaotic in a negative way; there is no active council or resources; and it's probably even less competitive than Inheritance.

- Sketchmons
Sketch was super fun to play around and build with in OMSL (oh yeah im 2-0), which featured multiple high-quality tour games. The premise is by far the easiest to pick up and is quite attractive to new players. It's definitely less recognized than Inh, GG, Inv, or SP, but popularity aside I believe it should not be less considered than the options above, with a balanced and diverse metagame, well-established resources, and an active council. The problem with Sketch is probably that you can never get what coverage move one sketches and constantly have to prep for the few high power moves, which can make Sketch frustrating to build for.

No Replacement
- Camomons
I'd still prefer Camo to some of the options here. While it's lost its ladder and the playerbase is gradually dwindling, I believe it's still enough to function in a team tour environment. The metagame itself is still competitive and well-established, and the Camo tour scene has never really changed, with prominent, competitive players and very high-quality games. If we had to choose between equally-valued options, there's no point switching it up, which makes me believe that Camo has an additional value/ priority than the other metagames to be chosen.

Conclusion
My preference: Godly Gift = Inverse = Camomons > Sketchmons > Inheritance > Shared Power > Tier Shift. GG, Inv, and Camo are probably three of the best options to me and I wouldn't mind any of them; Sketch is an underdog I really wish to be more recognized in the tour scene, though I completely understand that it shouldn't be prioritized over the above 3; Inh and SP would 200% attract lots of players, but would make tournament play less competitive; TS is playable but is too poorly recognized and volatile on its own.

I'm quite curious on what you guys think of SP and Sketch, even though they're most likely subpar options, since everyone so far has only responded to the given options/ BH. Is there any good or bad aspects of the metagames I missed? Is Sketch that poorly recognized that it shouldn't be considered at all? What other aspects of a metagame should we consider? Thanks for reading and have a great day / evening.

Dr. Phd. BJ

aphasia
is a defending SCL Champion
OMPL Champion
I'll leave my thoughts on some of the metas, I'll try to make it short since most of the posts above have covered the topic
Camomons:
Pros - The council is very active and passionate for the tier. The meta has a good amount of variety, and there are a lot of unexplored mons and sets. Building camo can be extremely fun for newer players, and practically every play style is viable. Camo has done a great job at providing resources despite their smaller player base.

Cons - Not a large player base, lack of ladder plays and lack of players willing to learn the tier in a tour setting. The tier can be hard to pick up depending on the person. Many non camo players would like the idea of type preview, whereas active camo players are generally against that. Although it is subjective, most camo games in omwc were very lopsided, long, and not entertaining to watch (again, very subjective). Tier is naturally unbalanced, lots of calm mind sweepers and common type cores (Water/Ground + Steel/Flying, Dark/Poison + Ground Resist, etc).

Godly Gift:
Pros - Very easy to pick up, no new moves, types, or abilities to confuse newer players. Only thing that changes is the base stat of 5/6 mons, which you always know at team preview. Active council, updated resources. A lot of variety in play styles and gods. Can see two people run the same god with drastically different teams.

Cons - Relatively unknown, especially with recent bans. Is the meta balanced? Is the meta ready for team tours such as ompl? How many gods are actually good? In omsl, there was definitely a blend of people who recycled teams and people who weren't overly engaged with the tier.

Inheritance:
Pro - Lots of engagement in the om community, concept seems to appeal to a lot of people. Council is active enough and has shown signs of listening to the community. Room for innovation and creativity. Role compression is less of an issue, and building styles can be expressive based on what x player values. Even when the same mon is used more than once, the set and role of the mon can change completely (i.e defensive regen buzzwole, offensive tough claws buzzwole).

Cons - Unbalanced, almost exclusively favors bst and typing (for example, celesteela is pretty much always used instead of corviknight or skarmory because of bst). Very top heavy, lacks a lot of variety. Omsl featured a lot of the same mons and similar team structures (celesteela, tapu fini, buzzwole, zarude, blissey, zygarde, dragapult). Some inheritors are more common than others (magic guard, regen, adaptability). Learning the tier varies more from person to person, especially with team preview not giving as much information as tiers such as Godly Gift.

Inverse:
Pros - Another tier with an active council. In omsl, inverse had engaged players and seemed to cater towards tour players. Simple concept, very easy to pick up, especially with reps. Inverse sees a lot of lesser used mons increase in usage. Examples of this include Avalugg, Articuno, Rhyperior, and others. The games in omsl were competitive, and featured a variety of play styles (rain, semi-stall, balance, ho).

Cons - Small player base, about on par with camo (replacement). Inverse has been around oms for a long time and has never had a ton of activity. Naturally unbalanced, favors normal types (no resists), ice types, and teams often have similar defensive cores (i.e Blissey + Avalugg, Torn-T + Toxapex). Tier is pretty explored since the meta has been around for a long time.

Sketchmons:
Pros - Easy to learn, not too complex. Active council, and updated resources. More ladder plays this past November than LC (https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/smogon-grand-slam-xi-tier-discussion.3694630/#post-9051599). Tier has consistent activity in om snake/omsl, frequent omotm with plethora of ladder plays. Omsl featured a lot of cool sets and a good amount of variety. Niche play styles are easier to pull off with easier access to pivoting, hazard control, status, set up, and high bp moves.

Cons - Similar concept to STABmons, somewhat similar to standard tiers. Although most play styles are "viable," the tier definitely favors offensive builds due to the added coverage, ability to set up, strong breakers, and the ability to have dedicated leads (screens + sr koko, webs + sr aerodactyl). Can be impossible to scout at times, how to beat Garchomp sketching Pyro Ball? Triple Axel? Bolt Strike? Precipice Blades? Shore Up? It's very easy to lose mons due to lures that you simply can't play around reliably. Tier is somewhat explored, and teams only gain 6 new moves per team. How much individuality does sketchmons have as a tier?

When looking at the pros and cons of each tier, I'd personally say GG > Camomons = Inheritance = Inverse = Sketchmons, but not by much. I think any of these 5 metas are suitable to be the sixth metagame

Osake

Hasta Siempre
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm personally against changing Camomons for an another meta, it's still a major OM in my opinion, and I don't like so much the idea of having a "less important" tier in OMPL/Wcup comparing to the others (I'm maybe wrong on that point and shouldn't consider GG, Inheritance, Inverse, etc as "minor OMs" but I don't see how we can compare them to AAA or BH) where Camo, although it is not the most active tier, still have a very active council and a quite solid playerbase (in terme of skills, not in number :d). Also, none of "other options" have a ladder too so, unlike a perma-ladder is created for them (or at least the one the community choose), if it can happen (no idea), there'll still be a difference between the 5 "main" OMs and the 6th one.

I understand the point of "Camo isnt't really active and competitive" but I do not think an other OM can replace it well ; moreover, Camo games in Wcup has been great (I find so ?) and people are still working on it, I mean it's not a dead tier yet, so I'm against a replacement. Although I can imagine to simply remove Camo and just keep 5 main OMs, which is better than put an other OM instead imo, and either keep 5 slots or add a bo3/bo5 slot (I like MAMP idea) to take advantage of overall good players which is an interessant point imo (I prefer bo3 over bo5 but it's not a big point).

Oh also it's not really important but the last Camo Tour (RIP Camo ladder) has shown that new comers can be attracted by camo, and actually be good in (PandaDoux won the tour), so it's not just a tier for old players who have been playing the tier for years, and it remains attractive (I personally like camo, I'm just terrible at building and playing and I don't have enough motivation to learn a tier, but I prefer it to stuff like MnM)

I don't have much more to say, but I think keeping Camomons is still the best idea tbh.
(saving Siamato's job for next OMPL n_n)

UT

I chose this cyclone with you
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
Good morning, I am here to present what I hope is balanced case for Godly Gift as the 6th metagame in team tours. Godly Gift is what brought me into Smogon in the first place, and full disclosure, I am also on the council, but I am on the council because I love the meta and want to see it continue to thrive, and I believe putting it in the 6th slot would be good for both it and the tour.

The state of the meta
Godly Gift was recently Leader's Choice and also in Spotlight League, and saw a tremendous amount of metagame development during both. I believe that, especially with recent bans dealing with the few true-brokens we had left, the metagame is in a good and diverse spot. All play styles--stall, balance, offense, hyper offense, weather, and even Trick Room--are viable. As beauts has already touched on, there is a huge diversity in viable Gods, each of which comes with their own play style. Similarly, looking through the VR for receivers, we have NU and RU mons as metagame staples, and I'm sure there are even more to find down the line.

Godly Gift also has the advantage of having an active council for a non-perma ladder. We have continued the metagame development, including another recent ban slate, and are nearly done with updated samples, VRs and other resources (which were delayed cause we realized we needed to punt Pult). It is a meta that is beginner friendly; after team preview, there are no surprises, and building is intuitive and the God helps guide your building process.

Quick points on other pluses: it has virtually no overlap with the existing tour metas, encouraging more diversity in play. It has typically had very high ladder plays when selected as OMotM/Leader's Choice, and even had good turnouts for its last two suspect tests. The mechanic is straight-forward and easy-to-intuit while still allowing for creativity. It had by far the most game splayed in Spotlight League.

Legitimate questions
It is undeniable that, despite its popularity when it has a monthly ladder, the Godly Gift player base is far smaller than the other five metas, and in terms of top-level play, smaller than Camo too. It is also undeniable that the metagame has seen far less overall development, and that with more time in the sun it will be revealed to be unbalanced/uncompetative/unfun. If this gives you pause in adding it to a team, I completely respect that and while I acknowledge the possibility, believe it to be unlikely and a chance worth taking.

It is also true that several other of the OMs up for consideration, especially Inverse and Inheritance, can make many of the same claims. Those two in particular are also good options that I would not be upset if they were selected over Godly Gift, but in my opinion Godly Gift has the best balance, of creativity, competitiveness, unique mechanics, diversity and fun.

Quick, non-Godly Gift thoughts
I consider doubling up on one of the existing metas or dropping to five metas to be by far the least desirable outcomes. I would rather see any meta chosen over these two options. We should be encouraging more metagame development, not less.

I dislike the idea of adding a bo3 or bo5 spot for the same reason, but consider it a better alternative from a spectator/competitive standpoint. I can imagine as a player however, that's a tall ask.

While I like the idea of tier shift, and would love to see it make a comeback, I believe that it is currently not in the position to be added to the tour schedule without at least an active tier leader. If someone wants to head that up, you'd be amazing.

I do consider leaving Camo in place as an alternative, especially if competitiveness of the meta is the highest priority. I would prefer to see a new meta develop in its place, but I do not consider this a bad option.

Shared Power would be hilarious, but probably the least-competitive option available.

Please feel free to ask any more questions about Godly Gift, its meta development, and what the council expects it to look like going forward. There are a number of great options up for consideration, and I have enjoyed seeing all the discussion so far, and am excited to see where it leads up!

berry

what kind
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Advocating for sketch and inverse, these metas took up the “camo slot” before camo even existed and I think they are both similarly (or more) accessible to players who might want to break into the om team tour scene. One of these two options gives us the greatest pull for standards players as well.

i’m starkly against adding a second slot of anything (2 bh especially sounds like a nightmare)

e: not anti GG, just the least familiar with it. I’m a geezer, what did you expect.

Last edited:
I have few thoughts I'd like to share. The TL:DR is that I'd really like for Camomons to stay, because its problems are not necessarily unfixable nor intrinsic to it. If it has to get axed, I'd like for Inheritance to replace it. But more generally, I'm really in favor of expanding OMPL to 8 slots, with the argument that if the metas listed in the OP are deemed good replacements for Camo, they are good enough to be added to OMPL even if nothing is cut. I don't have a clear preference on which one o them should be included. The 8th meta should in my opinion be AG, because we've had multiple prominent AG players express a desire to see AG reintegrated into OMPL. So please forgive me for naming "it that must not be named " :smogduck: .

I go into more detail and provide reasoning for all these claims in the rest of my post.

1) The case for Camomons

First of all, I'm obviously biased as a player and council member of this meta. But I'll try to argue in as objective a manner as possible.

1.1) On player interest

From what I gathered, the arguments for shelving Camo in favor of something else are lack of interest and lack of competitiveness due to seemingly unfixable balance issues. I can’t deny that interest in Camo has been waning over the course of this gen. It was probably the highest at the beginning, when it wasn’t permaladder and it won a bunch of Omotm votes, then started dropping as soon as we got perma. Which is understandable really, a lot more people play Omotm ladders than any single OM besides maybe BH. But, Camo is not the only meta that had bad ladder plays at certain points this gen. My goal is not to talk shit about other OMs so im not gonna point fingers. Instead I’d like to echo a good point that Euphonos brought up in the discord today.

We as a community put a lot of stock into tournament play, doubly so if said tournament is “official” (part of a tournament circuit). On the flip side, we don’t really value ladder nearly as highly. Unofficial tours are somewhere in between. Not trying to say this is a bad thing per se, or to the extent that I am – I fully realise that I’m not blameless since I hold that same attitude towards the different levels of play. However, this is a point that should not be disregarded when evaluating the popularity of Camo. It’s not clear to me that the waning popularity of Camo can be attributed solely to people being intrinsically disinterested in the meta.

All 5 of our other main OMs had a safety net in the form of circuit tours. Camo had 3 tours this whole gen and player turnout was admittedly pretty low, especially this last one. However, I’m strongly convinced that said turnout would be significantly higher if Camo tours counted for something – either Slam or circuit championship (or both). I personally enjoy playing Camo quite a bit, but since there is no ladder I can’t randomly search up games. Additionally, since interest in metas generally correlates with a tour happening, I and others like me mostly play Camo when a tour is going on. With that said, I’m not sure we can fully discount the idea that more people would get into Camo if it were picked as a Slam/Champs tier and as a consequence, that part of the reason for its waning popularity is the lack of representation in individual tours. In the same vein, it’s possible that interest in Camomons could be salvaged by keeping it in our team tours for one more season. If it’s still in a bad spot this time next year, then I can concede that we are likely best off shelving it.

1.2) On balance issues

Bulky setup and it’s various flavors have been the main topic of conversation ever since OMWC began. I’m not going to lie, it’s clear that bulky setup is disproportionately powerful in Camo, compared to other tiers and even other OMs. I think this issue can be reduced to a few key components:
  • Hazards setters >>> hazard removal
  • Calm mind/QD + recovery
  • Camo mechanic allowing for typings that dodge large portions of normal bulky setup counterplay
  • Beneficial abilities that dodge additional portions of bulky setup counterplay AND create asymmetry in the effect of hazards (ie the bulky setup mon in question is hurt less by spikestack on both sides than its check -> leading to an eventual win for the bulky setup mon since spikestacking is inevitable with the lack of good removal)
The first issue has hopefully been at least partially fixed with the Mew ban. But even keeping all of these issues in mind, I think that it has been possible to construct solid teams that don’t rely primarily on fishing and instead give you a solid chance to win in most Mus with the right play. I don’t wanna gas myself up, but I’d say the teams that I used during the group stage fall into this category. Granted, it did take a solid amount of testing with and losing to certain players to arrive at a good balance formula and not randomly lose to Reuni and Buzzwole (Chazm) , Volc and Mew (Euph) or HO (BJ), but it happened.

Feel free to disagree, but my record should be proof of the ability to have consistent results in this tier, esp given that my loss was a result of mons being mons instead of anything intrinsic to Camo. And I only used spikes Mew twice! I also believe most Camo games in general were pretty solid, apart from the ones that were sadly Camo moments. I do think its possible to minimize the amount of Camo moments though, as I’ve already elaborated above.

With the recent ban slate, Camo is entering unexplored territory. Mew leaving is massive, so we have no way to predict to what extent Camo moments will persist, if they will at all. I think writing it off as uncompetitive without giving the new meta a chance is too hasty. I’d also like to think the council has done a relatively good job balancing the meta, given the tools at our disposal to do so – despite the recent blunder with Reuniclus. I’d hate for Camo to lose its spot before seeing whether we can arrive at a healthy metagame with the right balancing approach.

2) The case for Inheritance

Again, I’m obviously biased. But the same as above holds true here.

If you decide to ditch Camo, I think Inheritance is the best replacement.

2.1) Inheritance and Camomons are actually quite similar in practice, so there is more carryover from one to the other than one might think.

This similarity stems from the fact that one way to look at Inheritance is by conceptualizing it as reverse-Camo. Mons have 4 key characteristics: stats, movepool, abilities and typing. In Camo, the first three are unchanged, but the typing can be manipulated. In practice this results in running a mon with every characteristic of Mew, except its typing which is that of Celesteela. In Inheritance the reverse is true. The typing and stats of a mon remain static, but it is able to inherit the movepool and abilities of a different mon. For example, you can give Celesteela the moveset of Mew and run a similar set to Camomons Steel/Flying Mew. In this vein, there’s possibility for a good number of overlap between Camo and Inheritance sets. Two better examples would be
Rilla!Zarude in Inheritance and Grass/Dark Rilla in Camo, as well as Zor!Steela in Inheritance and Steel/Flying Scizor in Camo.

As a result, I think that picking up Inheritance should not be that hard for longtime Camo players which makes it a solid addition to the lineup in case Camo gets axed.

2.2) Council activity, popularity and metagame state

I’d like to think that we as a council have been pretty consistently on top of balancing the meta and reacting to the wishes of the community. Additionally, Inheritance is pretty popular among the community since it frequently wins omotm. This obviously holds true for most other candidates, so it’s likely not that important.

The most important argument imo is the fact that inheritance is in a pretty good spot balance-wise. In addition, I didn’t even play it in OMSL but I did a good amount of building and had a lot of fun doing so and helping Don test. In fact I ended up regretting deciding not to play, because I had so much fun building it. I’m pretty sure most of the other OMSL Inheritance players would agree with me. And despite all the development it got during OMSL, I feel like there’s still much to explore like I’ve already mentioned in the thread.

3) The case for 8 slot team tours

It can’t be a TNM post on team tours without suggesting to expand the number of slots to 8. In a way I’m glad this thread was made, as despite Camomons being in danger of getting axed (fingers crossed that it doesn’t), those of us who are in favor of an 8 slot OMPL now have good candidates for meta number 8, which was always an issue with the suggestion.

I’ve suggested this multiple times in the past, mostly because I share a server with ex AGTL Icemaster and he frequently expressed the desire to have AG reintegrated into OMPL. I obviously liked the idea since I wanted to team up with him. But even putting personal reasons aside, I think the pros of 8 slot tours far outweigh the cons. However, when I brought up the idea, it was always brushed off with the argument that the AG community wants to be separate from OMs. I know the OP disallows independent metas like AG but please forgive me for ignoring that.

We have two prominent AG names in our community (FC – STAB council, Fardin – MNM council) and both have expressed an interest in AG becoming a part of OM team tours again. Additionally we also have Derpyboi who from what I gather also plays AG. There’s likely others, sorry if I didn’t mention you. Anyway, the point is that we don’t need to guess as to whether the AG community wants to be a part of our team tours. We can ask the members of our community that are active in AG – and I think they’ve made their desire clear. With that said, I don’t think it’s a given that AG would be opposed to being a part of OMPL. I suspect that they would be open to the idea, but I could be wrong.

Including AG as meta number 7 and one of the suggestions in the OP as meta number 8 in addition to the current 6 seems to create a very appealing 8 slot OMPL, at least to me.

The expansion to 8 slots is often criticised from the standpoint of competitiveness maximisation. We want OMPL to be as competitive as possible, which is more easily doable with 6 slots than with 8 slots. I definitely agree with this. However, AG at least should not be a problem on that front since there’s plenty of good AG players to choose from. The 7th OM could be an issue, but I think we’ve had a lot of players pick up metas they were previously unfamiliar with this year due to swiss, so I think we could find enough skilled players to fill out all of our slots.

On the flip side, one of the biggest upsides to an 8 slot OMPL, especially one that integrates an outside community into ours, is that it exposes more people to our core metas. More people exposed to these metas, means more people involved in the OM community. Take Shing and Beauts for example – they went into OMPL as NFE mains, and went on to be slotted into MNM in WC and join the GG and Sketch councils respectively. I’m optimistic that we could see something similar happen if we expand the number of slots to 8 and include more people in eventual OMPL rosters.

Recruiting more players into our community seems especially important atm with a bunch of our best and most prominent players expressing a desire to retire in the near future or basically having retired already. Obviously I hope to see them all come back for next OMPL, but if we continue to bleed players from the top, the competitiveness of our tours will steadily decline, no matter the number of slots. This is why I feel like any effort to broaden the scope of players OMPL appeals to is going to be positive in the long run, even if it becomes slightly less competitive in the short run (which I don’t think it will).

iapt

the unsuspecting victim of darkness in the valley
is a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi it's me again, I'm here to talk about a bo5/bo3 style as the 6th format in tours.

The format I am thinking of would be either a full bo5, similar to swiss finals as MAMP suggested, or a bo3 with each player banning one tier.

To preface this post, I still think Godly Gift and all the other options are perfectly viable, I am presenting this as an alternative option.

From a spectator perspective, bo3/5 is an enticing prospect. A multi game matchup also lessens the possibility that the outcome will be determined by rng, a factor typically unavoidable in mons, but can be lessened here. These series would most likely be played by the best overall players oms has to offer, demanding a proficiency, or at least good ability, in all 5 main tiers. As a counterpoint to this, there may feasibly not be 8 (assuming no more teams are added) players that can play all 5 tiers at a high level every week. However, the bo3/bo5 player would most likely be supported by both the managers and the players that are playing each other tier. In addition, this can go the other way. The multitier player can serve as support to the solo tier player, strengthening both slots and offering a more competitive environment in our tours, something that was mentioned about camomons in particular (not saying the tiers are not very competitive already, but rather that this would serve as a booster). I believe that adding a bo3/5 tier would foster competitiveness and potentially even create a better team environment.

A bo3 slot is not unprecedented. In the recently completed NDPL II (a similarly sized tournament, OMPL having 142 signups, NDPL having 208, and NDPL had 8 matches per week per team in a tier that is somewhat more accessible to standard players), there was a National Dex Bo3 tier, featuring ndou, nduu and ndag. A similarly sized community and tour has had success using this format, so it is likely not to flop here, especially considering the caliber of some of our players.

In addition to recent success, an enticing spectator experience and added competitiveness, it would increase uniformity between our major individual tours, being omgs (playoffs) and om championships, as MAMP mentioned. As I understand it, this 6th tier being added to team tours such as OMPL or OMWC would not be included in things like OM Swiss, OMGS or OM Championship. This is not necessarily a bad thing, however, this may cause this 6th tier to ride a backseat, which would probably not be a good thing for the tier itself or the tour as a whole.

Now following that, I believe that any of the options presented here, inheritance, godly gift, bo3/5, inverse, sketchmons, camo and whatever else has been mentioned are all perfectly viable options to become the 6th tier. Camo has a small but established and dedicated playerbase, and removing it from tours to replace it with a less developed community would be hard to swallow for its players.

I still believe that godly gift and bo3/5 formats would be the best tier to be the 6th, but all of the tiers deserve a shot. hopefully I didnt piss anyone (or at least too many people) off with this post, Im certainly open to criticism and correction. Thanks for reading and have a good day :)

I am in favor of increasing to 8 slots and adding AG + 2v2 Doubles. I think we need to be inclusive. Often times, and I was guilty of this as well, OM has divided its communities. That behavior doesn't help individual metagames or OM as a whole. Both AG and 2v2 have large playerbases, compared to most OMs, and their status is pretty much guaranteed to remain as an OM in the foreseeable future. I also feel that it is worth giving Camomons another chance. There is no clear replacement for it nor any guarantee that one of the suggested formats will do well. The Camomons council are actively managing the metagame and it is still one of the most popular non-permanent formats. Furthermore, I believe that the inclusion of AG/2v2 will attract a good number new players to our existing OMs. We have seen many cases of this in the past. The example that comes to mind is Hamhamhamham who participated in OMPL VI as an AG starter and since then, until recently, has been a top player in our tournaments - specifically maining AAA in our team tours. So, hypothetically, a good AG player who misses out on being a starter due to the competition in the slot could give Camomons or another OM a go, depending on the needs of their team.

If people are adamant on removing Camomons, then my vote goes to Godly Gift. It is a unique and balanced concept that might have the potential to succeed given its activity here and as OMotM. Being able to use an "Uber" on an "OU" team is an attractive feature as well.

Last edited:

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Re: Anything Goes & 2v2 Doubles

Anything Goes has earned its way to having its own official ribbon circuit next year, which will make things complicated if they were to merge with our regular circuit tours.

However, OMPL and OMWC don't reward winning teams circuit points for the OM Championship ribbon and instead, grant prizes such as a Custom Avatar. Anything Goes is still an OM and has always been a major part of our community. Including it in our team tours would not only let OM accurately represent its major formats, but it will lead to a benefit for both OM and AG's tour activity. The OM Forum Staff have agreed on expanding our next OMPL and OMWC tournaments to 8 player slots per team so we can fit Anything Goes in.

2v2 Doubles, while not officially independent, has been on its own for a long time with its own ladder, hidden room, powerful community and leadership. It currently holds the strongest potential to become independent. Despite this, there is desire from the 2v2 Doubles community for this to be not be the case anytime soon. We, the community, have had tensions in discussing 2v2 Doubles being part of our official OM circuit in the past, but the OM Moderation team has agreed that the metagame and its community at least deserve a greater chance to shine in our official OMPL/OMWC team tours.

tl;dr - OMPL and OM World Cup will expand to 8 player slots per team to include 2v2 Doubles and Anything Goes. This still means our decision on the 6th team tour slot has not been finalized and this thread will remain open for more discussion.

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Allow me to revisit the fact that Camomons, a team tour metagame, was relieved of its perma-ladder spot with no known discussion outside of OM leadership and no outreach to the Camo council or playerbase.
Month and Year​
# of ladder games​
Oct 2020*
27199​
Nov 2020​
1259​
Dec 2020​
713​
Jan 2021​
670​
Feb 2021​
665​
Mar 2021​
1064​
Apr 2021*
1119​
May 2021​
783​
Jun 2021**
428​
July 2021**
482​
*Some high points here include OMOTM in Oct 2020 and Apr 2021 when OM Ladder Achievements included Camomons challenges.
**Low points in June and July of 2021 match up perfectly with OMPL, where Camo was included. OMPL is not the ideal time to test your team on the ladder with risk of running into an opponent and revealing your team. I, for one, did not search for ladder games in BH or Camomons during these two months and I normally played frequently in both ladders.

I find it strange that the Camomons ladder was axed immediately after OMPL ended. This, if anything, would be a time for newer players that were exposed to Camo in OMPL to try it out for themselves on the ladder. I just don't understand the manner in which this was handled. I'm not denying that the numbers aren't huge here and yeah, sometimes I had to wait for fifteen minutes to get a ladder game, but I've had similar experiences in several other OMs.

It is also quite difficult to making tiering decisions and resources for a metagame when all you have to go on is friendly battles, maybe room tour games, and major tournaments. This often leads to massive ban slates like the most recent one with Mew, Spectrier, Reuniclus, and Volcarona, and others like the mid-OMPL mega ban of Latios, Latias, Hydreigon, and Slowking-G. We did what we had to do, but I can see how the general public would see this and draw their own conclusions about the metagame's healthiness.

I'll also echo The Number Man's echoing of Euphonos' points on discord. I know Camomons was slotted into OMPL with a bit of drama, but it has been a part of two OMPLs, two World Cups, and had forum tours but never seemed up for consideration for Seasonal and Open tournaments. The reasons I've heard for denying it a spot in the OMGS are time constraints and "changing the point system."

I understand that we are humans and this takes time from our real lives and I know that a lot of people do great work on here to make it an enjoyable experience. I believe than many more people would be willing to contribute if they just knew they were allowed. I'm not talking about users like myself here, especially now, but in the past before I contributed more on this site I had absolutely no clue how tours were established, hosted, or handled in general and especially did not think I'd be allowed to volunteer to host one or even know who to ask if I wanted to. If manpower is needed to get Camomons or any other 6th team tour slot into the OM circuit then I think it should be advertised more clearly so that people can step up when needed. I've never seen OM leadership asking if anyone would be available to host a tour but rather seen them respond to people wishing for tours with vague one-offs like "you can always just submit it yourself" and no clear instruction of how to do so.

Lots of people are saying Camomons is unbalanced and irreparable. It's starting to sound like a broken record and I feel that most of the people saying this have never or at most barely played the metagame (bar Chazm, who has said this but also said it just needs work to be fixed). One of the biggest issues, Calm Mind, is for some reason blacklisted from banning even though it has persisted as an issue for the entire generation and has greatly depleted the pool of mons to use.
Mons with Defog and reliable recovery
Banned::mew::latias::latios::hydreigon::dragonite::tornadus-therian:
Available::volcarona::salamence::zapdos::articuno::moltres::mandibuzz::scizor::corviknight:

Mons with Calm Mind (and/or Nasty Plot) and reliable recovery
Banned::mew::latias::latios::hydreigon::slowking-galar::tornadus-therian::naganadel::reuniclus:
Available::slowbro::slowking::slowbro-galar::cresselia::clefable::volcarona::celebi::alakazam::articuno-galar::tapu-koko::sigilyph::drampa::necrozma::espeon:

Basically what you see here is the pool of "viable" mons with reliable recovery and hazard removal is shrinking and getting into fringe areas like Scizor and the legendary birds. Meanwhile the pool of mons with "bulky setup," namely via Calm Mind and Nasty Plot, has several current users and many more usable mons waiting in the wings despite a large number already being banned. And you'll see that most of the mons that are already banned also have access to Defog and this correlates to how problematic Spikes Mew has been recently cause there were simply no good Defog users to check it.
I don't know if Camo will survive as the 6th team tour slot, but I think whichever meta does land in this spot deserves better than to be hamstrung from the start compared to the five other slots. A place on the ladder at the very least and consideration for a spot in OMGS/Circuit tours would be helpful to actually promote opportunities for growth so we don't end up in the same spot again. If OM leaders need help with tours to make this happen then I encourage them to advertise their need for assistance. I think people will step up if they are asked cause lots of Camo/GG/Inverse players would do so if it means their meta can develop. And it wouldn't hurt to get more people involved in contributing to OMs either, cause they are really fun.

Last edited:

Sectonia

But I set fire to the rain
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hi there! The mod team feels that this thread has run its course, and there's not much else to add, so we're closing this thread. Thanks to this thread, we've come to a decision on what to do with the 6th team tour slot.

Firstly, we are choosing to replace Camomons with Godly Gift. We feel that this will be the best possible replacement to Camomons, given its popularity and its success on ladder, although obviously, as we've seen, ladder success isn't everything. Despite that, we still believe that Godly Gift has the best chance of success out of the suggested replacement OMs.

We've heard the arguments for and against keeping Camomons, both in this thread and in other places, and we've come to the decision to remove Camomons after weighting both sides. There are a few reasons why we chose to do this. Despite being given multiple chances, Camomons has not recaptured its old success, and it has continued to stagnate as a result. The meta also isn't really popular anymore as indicated by the previous attempts to get Camomons a slot in OMotM Nominations, only to miss the top 10 or so several times, and still performing poorly when successfully making it to the top 10. Axing the ladder after OMPL may seem strange to others, but we went ahead with it because we could not see it massively improving in time to fix other issues with the ladder, such as high inactivity even during active PS hours, prior trends, and other factors. We will, however, admit fault that we did not handle the Camomons ladder removal properly; we should have communicated that it was being removed better to ensure that tier leadership were more in the loop.

To commemorate Godly Gift joining the team tours as the 6th team tour meta, we're electing to give it a permanent ladder on Pokemon Showdown, but that's not all we have in store for it. We will be slightly modifying Grand Slam's format and adding a 6th Open: the Godly Gift Open. We will also have further modifications to Grand Slam, but the most important one is that we plan to add Godly Gift to Grand Slam, and we will be using its Open's success to gauge whether or not it'd be a good idea to add more official tours for Godly Gift.

As I'm sure that people may have noticed, forum tours have been both difficult to include in the circuit, and something we sorely lack to fill out the empty spaces between major tours. We've had a discussion on how to best resolve this, and we've decided that we should start opening tour submissions to the public; exact details on this will be coming very soon, but we will be allowing the public to suggest and host tours so that we're transparent on what tours we are considering, as well as when they may happen. We hope that this will help open up opportunities for Godly Gift to break into the tour scene and also give other OMs a platform that they can suggest tours for, such as Inverse; it's important to note that these tours will not count for the 2022 OM Circuit, unless otherwise stated.

I will remind everyone that OMPL and OMWC are still expanding its slots from 6 to 8, and we will still be including Anything Goes and 2v2 Doubles as metas for the team tours, but we want to mention that we currently do not think that it's feasible to include 2v2 Doubles in our tour circuit. This is mostly due to how difficult it is to work the logistics of including 2v2 in tours like Grand Slam and Circuit Championships. We will still try to see what we can do for 2v2 Doubles, but currently, it is infeasible to include 2v2 Doubles in our tour circuit outside of OMPL/OMWC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)