Gen 3 Riders on the Storm (Rain Hyper Offense)

Art by Gravity Monkey <3

Hello! I have played about 250 matches with this team (and got to 1350 ELO), and I want to get your opinion on it. I won't be posting replays as I don't like posting replays without people's permission. Usually what happens is either I lose hard to Blissey, or Heracross blows a hole in the opposing team and I win. Seriously, Heracross in Rain is underrated. Without further ado, here is the team:

Ludicolo @ Lum Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 72 SpD / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam
Ludicolo can set rain from the beginning. Usually it's good enough to survive whatever move is thrown at it for one turn, although it has to look out for lead Aero. If that's the case, then I'd probably switch to Metagross. Anyway, its matchup vs Ttar is good. Even if Ttar DDs, it can RD and then Hydro Pump it or whatever switches in (usually Blissey) for either a ton of damage or not very much in Blissey's case. Yes, this team struggles with Blissey, but I at least have 4 physical attackers here. The set is pretty standard. Just want to make a note that Lum Berry is because this thing gets TWaved all the time and if you predict vs. say Starmie you can take the TWave while using HP Grass to set yourself up for a KO on Mie. Ludi struggles against bulky waters since HP Grass is only 70 BP, and since this team is spikeless, we have to have some other kind of chip damage to power through, which is a problem. Outspeeds max Spe (no + nature) Ttar.

Kingdra @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 104 Def / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Substitute
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
This is standard EndPetaya Dra. Substitute is to avoid para and activate the Petaya early. It usually doesn't get to do that. I was thinking of replacing this with Salac RD attacking Suicune. This would be the set:
Suicune @ Salac Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Hydro Pump
- Rain Dance
But idk if that's going to work; it's a mono-attacker and it's highly situational. The pro is that it would really surprise the opponent. Anyway, back to Dra: it's meant to set up RD for the rest of the team and itself and outspeed max Spe (+ nature) Ttar.

Heracross @ Salac Berry
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
- Reversal
Heracross is probably the most dominant member of the team; without sand, all it has to do is set up a SD (and possibly a Substitute) and get to 25% or less to outspeed the whole metagame, bar any opposing Swift Swimmers. Then you can use Swarm Megahorn to net a KO on virtually anything; I see people commonly send out Pert, which isn't even safe. The closer Hera gets to 0, the more dangerous its Reversals get.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Return
- Earthquake
- Shadow Ball
You shouldn't have a Rain team without Lax or Cune. Lax does well in Rain due to its Leftovers and massive bulk; here I'm running Curse + 3 attacks without Boom because I don't like being stuck when I face Ttar/Gross or Gar depending on the set. I have a boomer already, it should be noted. It also does well vs. bulky waters (without Roar), anyway.

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Rock Slide
- Aerial Ace
Dugtrio is here to trap Blissey. I've heard Beat Up is good, and I've heard surviving a Blissey Ice Beam is good, but I would like to do as much damage as possible. I also find the Blissey matchup highly situational. Why EV for a matchup that rarely happens, imo.

Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 72 Def / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Explosion
This is my mandatory Rock resist. It also is somewhat made better in Rain due to being less weak to Fire, which means Moltres/Charizard/Blakizen all are not safe during it. It's meant to punch a hole in a weakened team, or to boom on bulky waters.

I'm really hoping this is enough description; I've played about 500 matches in the meta, so I'm hoping this sounds like I'm experienced enough. I could post some SpD Skarmory Spikes + DD Ttar team if I wanted to, but I enjoy this team a lot more. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Changes

Ludicolo -> Metagross
Having a mon that can take out Skarm T1 is hella useful. It also invites a bulky Water/CM user a lot of the time, which I can eliminate and therefore have an easier time with it gone.

Petaya Berry -> Lum Berry
Dra is just as likely to be Para bait as Ludi, and it rarely can make use of Substitute. That's why another change I have is Sub to HP Electric. More on that in a sec.
104 Def -> 104 SpD
Dra handles most EQ/HP Fly-ers. Why EV for it? Instead, I should EV for Ice Beams, Thunderbolts, and Dragon Claws.
Substitute -> Hidden Power [Electric]
My team is weak to Gyarados, and having a mon that can take it out, even after a DD (in Rain), is very appreciated.

Leftovers -> Choice Band
I need another Boomer, because I still struggle with what's left of the opponent's team after Booming with Metagross. I'll click Self-Destruct (more on that later) 90% of the time, although I also can click Focus Punch depending on what's revealed (more on that later, too).
Curse -> Self-Destruct
Instead of Cursing to the +1 boost that's enough to KO all but the most defensive Skarm sets, and then getting Protected on after the switchin, I might as well Boom on the switchin! I'm smart
Shadow Ball -> Focus Punch
Lax is likely to get Wisped by Gar. Why get Wisped and then use a useless Atk stat when I can just ignore Gengar and switch to one of my Lum mons. Focus Punch is because they are likely to switch out if you switch in and threaten a mon.

This one is a doozy, lol
Choice Band -> Liechi Berry
I can explain; My new set is meant to lure the opponent into Ice Beaming/HP Icing/EQing while I set up a Screech and then get a Liechi boost over half the time.
252 Atk -> 252 HP
Helps to live the aforementioned Ice Beams/HP Ices/EQs
32 SpD -> 32 Def
Necessary to live the EQs
Aerial Ace -> Screech
I can also use Screech while the opponent heals to have an even easier time.
Threat List

Although I have 4 Physical attackers, Blissey is at the top of the list because it's usually switched out on 3 out of the 4, and 2 of the 4 are usually gone midgame due to Booming. The only real solution I have to Blissey is my Dugtrio set, which relies on it not being Modest/not having 3 layers of Spikes up. If there's 3 layers of Spikes, I usually just hope it isn't max SpA and go for the Screech anyway. At least I can force it out with Hera most of the time (I keep it in the back) and set up a Sub, although that invites Mence/Gyara, which are other huge threats. Ludi and Dra can't touch it, and are vulnerable to TWave.

With 4 Physical attackers, and no Guts on Hera (I like to be able to feign Guts after it's revealed and surprise the opponent with SwarmHorn), my team is very vulnerable to Wisp. I do carry Lum on Ludi/Dra, meaning they're an okay switchin, although they can be Wisped again and get put on a timer after setting up Rain (if they don't go for the Pump).

After a DD, Mence can sweep my team (not under Rain), although Dra might live an HP Flying/EQ without Spikes support or Sand. The goal is to not give Mence a free switchin, which is one of the reasons why I keep Hera in the back (the other is Ttar, because of Sand and to eliminate it). That's why I carry Ice Beam/Rock Slide.
Aerodactyl
Celebi
Gyarados
Tyranitar
Oddball MixMence (HP Flying/Dragon Claw)

Last edited:
I also find the Blissey matchup highly situational. Why EV for a matchup that rarely happens, imo.
On this team dugtrio must trap blissey or you will lose unless heracross pulls some nonsense. Rain cannot function without blissey removed. Also, "situational" is a bad way to describe a pokemon that has about 30% usage.
My opinion on this team is you should probably replace the ludicolo with a gengar (hypnosis explosion +2 moves) which will help with blissey tremendously. In that case you probably wouldn't need to adjust the dug set either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)