Rise and Shine - OU Sun article (Written)

First of all, I just want to say this is a fantastic article, great work. I just have one suggestion. As great as Katakiri's team is, it isn't the type of team that someone new can pick up and play with successfully. It seems like it has a steep learning curve with a few unique 'mons. I'd suggest giving a simpler sun team as the primary, then offering a link to Katakiri's team as a secondary example with an explanation that it is more complex.

First of all, I just want to say this is a fantastic article, great work. I just have one suggestion. As great as Katakiri's team is, it isn't the type of team that someone new can pick up and play with successfully. It seems like it has a steep learning curve with a few unique 'mons. I'd suggest giving a simpler sun team as the primary, then offering a link to Katakiri's team as a secondary example with an explanation that it is more complex.
Thanks a lot for the compliments!

I see where you're coming from with Katakiri's team not being too easy to pick up and play - unlike a more cookie-cutter sun team like my own would be for example - but people simply copying Kata's team wasn't really my intention with the example team section. With the amount of stuff in the guide I'd hope people could, after reading it, construct the more basic sort of sun team themsleves, and develop from there. The example team was more to provide a narration of the teambuilding processes you should be thinking over when making a team (making sure you cover weaknesses etc) and acting as inspiration for more unusual teams.

If people think that a more basic team to try out would be a good idea I could include one, but I kinda feel like that's just a cop-out if you have read the whole guide, as you should be able to make a decent team yourself with relative ease. It's also probably more beneficial if people learn from the mistakes they make in building a not-amazing sun team initially and then perfecting it themselves than if they just get a good one off the bat. The other reason I'm inclined not to add in another team is that the article is already bloody long. Let me know what readers think of this, in any case.

One small change you might want to make - Wish is now legal on MB Espeon thanks to Japan releasing female Eevees. Makes Xatu even more outclassed - virtually the only thing it's got going for it now is the EQ immunity :)

I really like this article, it really shows off how good a sun team can be while still showing its weaknesses. However there are two pokemon I believe should get a mention.

One is leafeon. Yes I know you said that leafeon is bad in OU however after testing leafeon out a good bit I have found out that s/he is really good on a sun team. First off she has a base speed of 95 tying her with Sawsbuck as the fastest Chlorophyll pokemon. she has an excellent base defense as well and can take a few physical attacks (most notable, ones from hippowdon and tyranitar). S/he also has a base attack of 110 making her stronger than Sawsbuck as well. I've personally found her much more reliable out of the sun then most of the other chlorophyll pokemon. S/he has her disadvantages of course such as not having a way to beat steels but on a sun team that is rarely ever a problem. All in all while she can be outclassed at times she does bring a few things to the table the other pokemon don't and can be useful when used right.

The other pokemon would leavanny. She sports a base speed of 93 making her quite fast under the sun as well. She also has a base 103 attack to work off of. She holds a few of the weaknesses of leafeon though and dies horribly to fire types (faster than venusaur or tangrowth). However she has a small niche that being she is the faster chlorophyll pokemon that can use dual screens which can greatly help a sun team since most of their pokemon are frail sweepers (it should be noted however that exeggutor can also dual screen).

I've tested both pokemon (I've used more than five different sun teams) and they both can be really useful if used right. However it must be said that they aren't the most user friendly pokemon and you need to know how to play to their advantages before attempting to use them (though most people who use sun teams know how to do just that.)

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ok, so the current owner of this article has been inactive for over a month, so if anyone wants to take this over contact me or another moderator from this forum. This article is mostly written, but there a few things that need to be added and changed. Mainly, the sample team uses a Pokemon that is banned, so that will have to be changed. I am aware katakiri has changed their team to conform to these changes, so if you want to use the updated version please contact them and ask for their permission. There have been two new posts making suggestions to the article above this one, please take note of those posts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)