(RMT) Back in the Game

It's been a while since I last played competitive Pokemon, but X and Y resparked my interest in the series. This is a team I threw together in an afternoon, but it has been tested and performed moderately well so far.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Tailwind

As far as I'm aware, this is fairly regular. Talonflame's major use is revenge killing with priority Brave Bird, as well as scaring the many Fire-weak Pokemon in the current meta. U-Turn hits remarkably hard with a Band on, and Tailwind is there so if he switches into SR twice, he can provide the rest of the team with a boost.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Brick Break

Ah, Scizor, bane of post-Platinum Gen 4 and terror of every generation since. Bullet Punch needs no introduction, Swords Dance combined with Life Orb is hell of a lot of Attack even now, and Bug Bite gets the Technician boost. Brick Break rounds the set out with a way to at least dent guys like Skarmory and Mega-Aggron. 248 HP minimises SR damage by making his HP odd, and 8 Speed EVs let me beat Pokemon in my speed tier who don't invest.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Stealth Rock

Replacing Clefable, Gliscor offers me a very effective physically defensive pivot who can check some of the big threats out there, like Aegislash, Garchomp and Charizard (if I don't get hit by WoW). EQ is fairly straightforward, Knock Off lets me break balloons and remove Leftovers, Roost gives him reliable healing, and he can set up my Stealth Rocks after a good pivot from Talonflame or Rotom-W.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Thunderbolt

Rotom-Wash and Talonflame behave much like CB Scizor and Rotom-Wash did back in Gen 5 - constant Volt Switch and U-Turn harassment, complimentary typing, and a fair bit of firepower to back them up. Trick is a great stallbreaker if I can get it onto someone like Chansey or Skarmory, but the Scarf is also useful for revenge kills against more offensive teams.

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Foresight
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin
- Mach Punch

I'm somewhat uncertain about Hitmontop's role on this team. I want to keep Stealth Rocks off the field if I can, but he's not the hardest hitter or especially tough. He is a decent backup revenge killer, though. His main issue is that he gets destroyed by Azumarill and other Fairy-types. Foresight lets me spin even against Ghosts, or hit them with Mach Punch.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder

Mega Venusaur is absurdly hard to kill, can force switches remarkably well with Leech Seed, and hits fairly hard as well. Sleep Powder has proven very useful for reversing momentum by shutting down an enemy Pokemon in full swing, while Sludge Bomb and Giga Drain give me okay coverage and strong staying power, respectively.

Major Threats:

- Azumarill tears my team apart if Venusaur isn't Mega-ed. CB variants OHKO 3/6 of my team with Play Rough and he's neutral to Bullet Punch (he resists Mach Punch).

- Aegislash is a significant problem if it's got enough Speed to beat Hitmontop or if Talonflame's Flare Blitz gets King's Shielded. I don't have any Ghost resistances, and EQ is the only good non-contact move against him.

- Either Charizard-Mega variant. A pre-poisoned Gliscor can wall X for the most part, but Y needs to be revenge killed by Rotom-W or Talonflame.

- Garchomp can clean me up fairly easily if it has a Fire-type move for Scizor. SD variants can potentially set up on Gliscor, too.

So, any opinions? It's definitely a work in progress, but results so far have been promising.

Last edited:
The reason why Azumarill, Aegislash, Charizard X and Garchomp is giving you problems is because you dont have a pokemon that can take physical hits.
Options:
Ferrothorn is a good stop to Azumarill and Garchomp, unless its running superpower or something like that but garchomp's eq might still hurt.
Another option is gliscor. Gliscor can wall Aegislash, Garchomp and Charizard X pretty well. It can live a hit from aegislash and zard X and counter back with EQ dealing massive damage.
Heatran with is also a viable option. It walls aegislash and zard X/Y (unless its carrying EQ/Focus miss which they typically dont (correct me

Overall, every offensive team, just needs something to take physical attacks cause they seems to be the main issue youre having.

But replacing clefable for gliscor only makes you more vunerable to azumarill. It also makes you fall against special slash. A more defensive rotom could also help you in dealing with the blue bunny. And air balloon heatran can help with your zard problem and covers scizor's fire prob. Cofagrigus could also help you against physical mons such as azumarill as it neuters the huge power and burn it, she can also absorb fighting and normal attacks... It can also take on both zards

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)