SM Doubles OU (RMT) doubles OU sun team

Hey guys, I've been playing with this team for a while, and I've been getting plenty of wins, but I know this team could be better. if anyone has any suggestions on how I could make my team better it would be much appreciated.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Heat Wave
- Dragon Tail
- Protect

Charizard is my main sun setup, along with my early sweeper most of the time. I usually just spam heat wave, with dragon tail there to switch pokemon I dont like away and fire blast to target specific pokemon and bypass wide guard.

Volcanion @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Steam Eruption
- Defog
- Protect

Volcanion is my go to partner for charizard, because it allows me to easily counter mons that may want to use my sun against me, and also stops any hazards, making it nigh impossible to setup on my first two mons. heat wave also allows volcanion to clean up any pokemon Charizard didnt take down.

Volcarona @ Flame Plate
Ability: Flame Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sunny Day
- Heat Wave
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance

Volcarona is my backup mon to essentially replace one of my first two should they faint. it is a fairly straightforward setup, with a heat wave and quiver dance for stab, and quiver dance to possibly setup on them.

Exeggutor @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Solar Beam
- Sunny Day
- Frustration
- Protect

Exeggutor is mainly on my team to counterbalance the team and stop any water types who could wipe out most of my team. it also has a nice STAB solar beam along with a harvest berry that makes it a decent wall oftentimes

Arcanine @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Fang
- Rage
- Flame Charge

arcanine is half of my hidden trump card, as his combination of rage and justified can sometimes make whimsicotts beatup put his attack at max immediately, and with extreme speed he can one shot most pokemon

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Beat Up
- Cotton Guard
- Leech Seed
- Moonblast

whimsicott is the other half of my trump card, really serving no other purpose except easily taking down dragons.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Hi SgtSkitman! Judging by your team, it seems you're kind of new to competitive Pokemon in general, so a few general pointers:
  • Try to avoid stacking Pokemon of the same type on your team - two or sometimes three is alright, but you have 4 Fire-types and 2 Grass-types! That makes it very easy for opponents to exploit your team's weaknesses.
  • Take note of each Pokemon's role and try to let it follow that. For example, Charizard should be spending most of its time blowing things up with Sun-boosted Fire-type attacks; using Dragon Tail gives your opponents lots of chances to attack you when you could just be setting them on fire, and it's inefficient.
    • Instead, you could try using Solar Beam for better coverage, and then pairing it with something with Tailwind (to let Charizard outrun faster Pokemon) or Fake Tears (to soften up Pokemon which might resist Charizard).
    • Another example is Volcanion; instead of running a physically-defensive set, you could make use of its strong attacks and its good Special Attack stat to make it into an offensive piece.
  • Pay attention to STAB and the Physical/Special split: for example, your Exeggutor has Frustration despite being typically a Special attacker. Using something like Psychic would let it do a lot more damage.
  • Especially in Doubles, you should be running Protect on most of your Pokemon unless you have a very good reason for not doing so. On your team, for example, consider this: Volcarona and Arcanine tend to boost their stats, so your opponents will want to double-target them to remove them. Without Protect, they're very vulnerable to being double-targeted, which would ruin your strategy.
I didn't want to provide any specific feedback on the team because I think it's fundamentally not a very good team. Instead, here's our Teambuilding Frameworks thread: it shows some ways players have successfully built around various cores in the past. Unfortunately there's no Sun teams there yet, but you could try to copy some elements you like from those teams.

Don't be discouraged by this post, everyone starts out somewhere. Hope I kind of helped, all the best and feel free to get in touch or reply here if you need any additional guidance!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)