RMT: Evolution

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of the Smogon RMTs. The mass amount of rules hurts it more than not. But this isn't about that.

At a glance:

My team has undergone some drastic changes since I first created it. It was originally a sandstorm team meant to take on the Smogon Frontier (something I still hope to tackle some day); then it became a monosteel as I had 3 or 4 steels already and I revamped it a bit for a mono-tourney; now this is where it's at. I've been on a serious losing streak recently, right after a huge winning streak.

So this is where you come in. I've tested and tested. I can't do myself much good anymore, so I'm asking for assistance. This team does deal with the suspect ladder and Latias, but don't let that fact stray you away if you don't have knowledge in that area. The rest of the team needs help too. Without further ado...

---

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 244 HP/128 Spd/138 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Overheat
- Will-o-wisp
- Stealth Rock

This is Bos' lead Heatran. It works pretty well. For some reason Infernape always hits me with CC, lowing it's defenses, and I wipe it's face from the game with Earth Power. With T-Tar, Swampert, and other leads, I go straight for a burn. I either hit, making their EQ attempt a 3HKO (meaning I can get rocks up), or I miss and struggle for the remainder of the match. I try not to just let him just faint as his resistances and WoW prove useful later on. Aside from Latias, he's the closest to getting the boot.

---

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 134 HP/252 Atk/124 Def
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- U-turn

Good ol' CB Scizor. U-turn is the primary offensive, especially early game. Packs a mighty punch. He's my best (if not only) hope against Swampert. =/ U-turn will 2HKO most of them though. Even with Intimidate, it can 2HKO Salamence with BP after SR. I don't use Superpower too often. Pursuit is only ever used on Celebi (maybe I'll start using it on Latias). I actually just remembered that I EV'd him for physical hits, which does come in handy for taking EQs here and there.

---

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 60 HP/24 Atk/176 Spd/248 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Dance

Hasire's 'Tar. Works great against Heatran and Zapdos, although I always seem to get Paralyzed at the perfect moments. I can never hit with Stone Edge when it counts either. Still a fantastic Special wall nonetheless and sets up for a sweep. Scizor is a pain but I've got a solution for him. I'm currently investigating CurseTar to see if that might prove to be a better mixed wall + sweeper.

---

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 176 HP/148 Def/180 Spd/4 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Go Latias. I actually tried this in place of Superachi (a staple in every team I build) and ended up hating it because of all of the Tyranitar roaming about. After using Jirachi again for awhile, I noticed that the suspect metagame is extremely heavy on ground moves. Needless to say, I was getting hit pretty hard. So here comes Latias again to hopefully remedy the common weakness. The set is something I've been trying to argue for quite some time (like pre-testing time). I do notice that it has flaws but Latias is still being tested and experimented with.

---

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 16 Atk/240 Spd/252 SAtk
Rash nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

(Apparently there is a similar set on Magneton's analysis now. That actually makes me rather mad because I made this long before that was posted. I've been using this Magneton for awhile ._.)

My NFE. Causes some racket whenever it's brought out. I asked about Magnezone awhile back and somebody gave me a spread with Choice Scarf, EVs to outrun base 110s. After crunching some numbers, Magneton can hit the same speed with only 4 more Speed EVs and is actually more powerful than Magnezone because I can run +SpA over +Spe. He is even frailer though, although I haven't found any instances where Magnezone can take one more hit than Magneton (so a 2HKO on one = 2HKO on the other). He's my general Scizor counter, although I usually check for Superpower/brick break before making a direct switch. Coming in on Bullet Punch or Swords Dance spells the end of it. This thing can revenge weakened Metagross, beat most Bronzong, and lols @ Skarm and Forretress. Explosion has helped me late game to take out threats I couldn't handle otherwise.

---

Swamperteer (Swampert) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Avalanche
- Roar
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Defense-buffed Swampert, my bulky water. I find him as my main switch in early game, which means he gets hit a lot. Most of the time he isn't around late game which hurts because I usually need a phazor later. I'm considering slapping curse on there and pumping his Special Defence. The problem is that I don't know what to drop. Avalanche is my only Ice attack and my best shot at taking about Latias (excluding T-Tar, who I try to save for late game). Earthquake is a great STAB move and I already mentioned that ground it hitting suspect pretty hard. Stone Edge is kind of just there for coverage, but it never hits (or so it seems). I may just use dual-STAB curse and phaze. I'm open to insight on him.
---

Known problems:
~Metagross (especially @choice scarf): My team doesn't like EQ, and it doesn't help that it outruns everything on my team.
~Swampert: Same ground problem. If I still have Heatran around I can burn it and make it manageable, but it's still a major issue.
~Aerodactyl: Scizor can handle him, but EQ still doesn't feel great.
~Flygon (?): I haven't run into many of them, but with only one Ice attack on my team and the ground problem, he can cause problems. Latias can hit him nice and hard if he isn't scarfed.
~Mamoswine: I don't understand why this thing is so fast (and I'm not talking Ice Shard). It should not be a base 80 IMO. Smacks my team pretty hard.
~I also have some trouble with specialized fighters like Heracross and Lucario; Jirachi used to hit them with Psychic (HP ground on Luke though). Fighting and ground have near parallel coverage, so problems with one are gonna mean problems with the other.

I'm pretty much open to any suggestions. I'm jammed on how to improve this any further. I don't quite understand how this team (which was hella freaking good) became insufficient so fast. I blame Latias :(

I glanced at your threat list, and I may have found a Solution. Celebi learns Earth power, which stops Metagross as he can't OHKO, and he also stops Swampert from ruining your fun. The offensive set is the way to go, as it isn't standard and noone really expects it. It will also stop lucario from getting in on you since you carry Earth power.
I think that removing the Choice Band from Scizor will make your team alot better, you can switch to the Swords dancing set at it will put alot more pressure on your opponent.

Besides, you can scout their scizor counter with Magneton, and then stop it and bring in Scizor, who hits almost double the attack a CB Scizor hits after a Swords Dance Life Orbed. I think that your lead's set just has to be changed, and it could make it all the btter. I see the SubTran lead set working nicely for you, you set up a sub or attack, (pretty simple) and then you can either cripple with WoW, or keep bashing the opponent.

I actually really like that advice. I've been looking at Celebi but never found a way to really make it worthwhile. Solving my common issues is a huge plus. Thanks for that.

Hm, I've never really been a fan of SD Scizor; CB Scizor is instant power. But with Celebi it may prove beneficial. (or maybe when I tried SD Scizor I was just playing him wrong, a big factor in the pokemon I tend to not like).

As for Heatran, I've been interested in a sub but never really knew how to implement it. Maybe I could drop Stealth Rock (I never found it to be too beneficial). I'll definately look at that.

Thanks a bundle. I'll be editing my first post once/if I make the adjustments (gotta test it first).

magnezone is much more bulky than magneton might be worth trying out
I do believe I addressed that.

Veedrock said:
He is even frailer though, although I haven't found any instances where Magnezone can take one more hit than Magneton (so a 2HKO on one = 2HKO on the other).
I'm well aware that Magnezone is bulkier, but I haven't found any (or at least any significant) examples of where Magnezone can take one extra hit. If you have some, I would like to hear it. Until then, I think I'm pretty secure with Magneton.

a life orb flygon has a 100% 2ohko on magneton with outrage but a 0% 2ohko on magnezone(6.57% with stealth rock)
328 Atk vs 203 Def & 241 HP (120 Base Power): 135 - 159 (56.02% - 65.98%)
328 Atk vs 239 Def & 281 HP (120 Base Power): 115 - 136 (40.93% - 48.40%)
edit:
also quite a bit against non +attack salamence outrage with life orb still a 47.73% 2ohko but and 95.6% with stealth rock but better than 100% 2ohko
369 Atk vs 203 Def & 241 HP (120 Base Power): 153 - 180 (63.49% - 74.69%)
369 Atk vs 239 Def & 281 HP (120 Base Power): 129 - 153 (45.91% - 54.45%)
edit:2 and if it lives through flygon outrage it would also live through kingdra because it has 5 less base attack.

Hm, I appreciate that, but it's not necessarily "significant." If I'm going to be taking that Outrage, I'll be taking it once while I explode (I've got nothing on Flygon with my set). Idk about Kingdra though, I'll definately look into that to see if Magnezone's survival will KO with Thunderbolt in time. If not, then he's really got nothing on Kingdra either. Thanks.

My last post came off rather harsh and I didn't intend for it too. I apologize for that. I do appreciate your advice and for taking time to look that up.

Still testing Celebi (really hard with my internet connection), but it's looking much better than Latias right now.

I'd stick with magnezone, the power increase is negligible and the bulkiness is significant

life orb scizor brick break vs. 4hp magnezone 73.76% - 87.23%

life orb scizor brick break vs. 0hp magneton 101.24% - 119.50%

I'd say that's pretty important

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)