XY OU RMT FEAT. MAMOSWINE

The Team

I have seen that most people use mamoswine as a suicide lead with the focus sash set being the most common one, but back in 5th gen it was used a lot as a wall breaker, revenge killer , dragon check and I wanted to make a team based on this pokemon. So here it is..

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Stone Edge

This is the most underrated pokemon in the ou tier. A massive 130 base att. With a life orb make him a great wall breaker who can finish of a lot of pokemon in the ou tier namely:- garchomp, dragonite, landorus-I, landorus-T, gliscor, mandibuzz etc. it is a standard ev spread maxing out his attack and speed, the 29 hp IV for minimising SR and LO damage. EQ for powerfull STAB, icicle crash for secondary STAB with a chance to flinch, ice shard for priority, and stone edge namely for rotom-W switch ins.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 12 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Toxic

Heatran is an amazing partner to mamoswine as they both eliminate each other's threats, heatran gets rid of fire, steel, grass types for mamoswine whereas mamoswine gets rid of the ground types for heatran. The set is a very standard SubToxic set where sp. Atk is maximized, has enough speed to out speed mega mawile and KO it with flamethrower. Flamethrower is the stab move with earth power for coverage.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Defog

Currently both mamoswine and heatran are weak to fighting and water so I needed a pokemon to deal with it. Latios fits perfectly as it resists both water and fighting while forming good synergy with heatran, while acting as my defogger. It is max sp.atk max speed latios. Draco meteor for insane power that can OHKO mostly anything that does not resist it. Psyshock for secondary stab that deals with mega venasaur. Defog for entry hazards. I early on had HP fire for steel types and bisharp, but seeing how my team does quite well against steel types I switched to energy ball for rotom-w, quagsire, azumarill. However this means that bisharp can hard counter this set.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder

I needed a defensive pokemon for this team and my mega slot was open so I chose mega venasaur. It has only two weakness which are easily countered by my team. The evs are mainly in hp and defence while 20 speed evs are for out speeding adament azumarill and mega mawile while being able to 2HKO both. Giga drain is for sustain and sludge bomb for powerfull stab. HP fire is for steel types who wall this set. Sleep powder for affecting the foes momentum by putting a pokemon to sleep.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Looking at my team at this point of time, there is one pokemon that 2HKOS my entire team, that is greninja. AV azumarill is a good check to greninja and other special attackers. I carry play rough for powerfull stab, waterfall for secondary stab, aqua jet for priority and knock off for common aegislash and Gengar switch ins.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost

For my last spot I needed a good revenge killer which can also blow some holes into the opponent. Talonflame usually cleans up late game when most of the mons are either weak to talonflame or low on health, it also acts as a counter to mega pinsir and mega Heracross.
The ev spread has max Atk and max speed. I opt for a adamant nature because the only thing that I cannot out speed is greninja. Flare blitz is for stab, brave bird for priority, u-turn for retaining switch priority. Initially I had tailwind on this spot but seeing as how I was using talonflame late game, I hardly ever used tailwind so I replaced it with roost.

Review: while this team is suspectable to some specific threats, once those threats are eliminated the team works well. I really wanted to use mamoswine to its fullest potential so I built this team. Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated. :]

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Hey stevenizer15 nice team! Your team looks pretty cool and I'm liking the use of Mamoswine since it's great vs a lot of the common Pokemon in the meta right now. I think I have some changes that would be able to really benefit this team. The first thing that kind of jumped out at me was the lack of Stealth Rocks and your team. Your team would really appreciate those as most of your team forces switches and that extra damage would really help for letting Mamoswine and Talonflame achieve KOs. I think giving Heatran Stealth Rock over Substitute. While passing status would be appreciated on the Keldeo / Azumarill / Greninja switch-ins they shouldn't be too much of an issue as you already have Azumarill and Venusaur to check those so I tbrhink fitting Stealth Rock would be a lot more Important. Since you said in your original post that you wanted to keep an offensive Heatran to get rid of Mamoswine's checks so I think keeping an offensive spread would be fine though I think running max speed would be beneficial to tie other Heatran and get rid of them with earth power for Talonflame. Max speed also has the added bonus of letting you check Adamant Excadrill outside of sand as well as outspeeding Mega Heracross. With the inclusion of Stealth Rock on your set I don't think Substitute would be as useful as before so instead I think running Ancient Power would be a good way to check Talonflame as you seem to be a little weak to it.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 12 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ancient Power
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power

Now as I said I like the use of Mamoswine on your team but I'm not sure you really need Stone Edge on it. Stone Edge's only merit is really to hit Talonflame which you have a Heatran to cover so I think your set would appreciate Freeze Dry over Stone Edge. Freeze Dry is a fun move that lets you hit Rotom-W pretty hard as well as checking other Pokemon that would serve to counter Mamoswine such as Gyarados. Freeze Dry after Stealth rock can be a pretty great tool to batter these threats doing 47%-56% to the standard physically defensive Rotom-W and 90% - 108% to a non evolved Gyarados. With this change Mamoswine will lessen the amount of possible switch-ins and it will be much easier late game for Talonflame or Latios to put in work.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Freeze Dry

Another Set that I think would appreciate a change albeit small would be to replace Sleep Powder on Venusaur with Synthesis. As you rely on Venusaur to take care of Mawile and Azumarill as well as being an all around good switch in to water types, you are really going to want to be able to keep your HP up so you can reliably check these. Sleep Powder is nice for neutralizing a threat but with your coverage you should be able to hit the switch-in hard enough as is.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Another small change you could use would be to replace Energy Ball on Latios with Earthquake. Even though Earthquake seems pretty weak coming from an non invested base 90 attack it would be great for luring in Heatran for Talonflame as well as hitting Bisharp and Tyranitar hard on the Switch. Psyshock already 2HKOs Azumarill and hits Rotom-W hard and Quagsire is beaten easily with Draco Meteor so I think this change would help a lot.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Defog

The final change I think that would really help this team would be to change U-turn on Talonflame to Swords Dance. As you said yourself, you usually try to save Talonflame to clean late game Swords Dance would be a fantastic option for end game cleaning as well as mid game wallbreaking. Jolly is much more preferable than adamant on this set so you can outspeed and OHKO Thundurus as well as any Positive Natured base 115s while retaining a good amount of bulk with 88 HP EVs.

Talonflame (M) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Roost

That's about it. Solid Team and hope I helped! :]

Last edited:

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey stevenizer15 pretty cool team! Honestly blunder has already done a fine rate as it is. I support his change of putting Stealth Rock on Heatran since that helps a lot with the switches that Latios and Talonflame force. This also allows Mamoswine who already hits like a truck to be even more of a monster, especially with his add of Freeze Dry. Venusaur definitely needs that recovery and while Sleep Powder is nice, that added recovery helps you take on annoying volt turn teams who burn you with Rotom-W and proceed to volt switch out wracking up the damage. SD Talonflame just fits on the team pretty well with its counters being weakened by Azumarill and Mega Venusaur. Earthquake is also a very nice touch on Latios as it is a nice lure for opposing Heatran's and allows Talonflame an easier switch. So nice work blunder !

Now for a change of my own. While i feel offensive Heatran hits hard and gets unsuspected kills, your team is just a bit too weak to Life Orb Latios/Latias. Azumarill is 2 hit k0'd by Psyshock and that is your main switch in. Offensive Heatran is also worn down quickly by the Lati twins, Talonflame, and pokemon like Mega Mawile. To fix the Lati weakness, as well as still give you a nice check to Mega Mawile and Talonflame, i'd suggest running Specially Defensive Heatran. This gives you a nice buffer for the afformentioned pokemon plus with Toxic and Protect, common switch ins like Tyranitar and Keldeo are worn down quickly. Lava Plume having the same chance to burn as Scald is also just too good to pass up.

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SDef / 12 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Toxic

That's all i've got! Cool team man! Hope i helped :]

Last edited:
I'd suggest Icicle Spear over Icicle Crash just for the ability to beat common sashers like breloom and the ability to break subs. It may seem unreliable at first glance but i'd prefer a little bit less damage on average over the chance for icicle crash to miss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)