SM OU RMT Mega Charizard Y Team

Hey, so this is my first RMT and although I’ve played for a few months I’m not great at teambuilding and the highest I’ve managed to get on the ladder is around 1500, which isn’t that good. This is the first team I’ve made that I actually think is somewhat decent, but I thought I’d ask for a rate since I want to improve it as much as possible.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

A Pokémon that I really wanted to use and the one I tried to build the team around was Mega Charizard Y. It’s a good wallbreaker that’s only stopped by a few Pokémon like Latios, Toxapex, Chansey and some others. The moves and EVs are pretty standard. Flamethrower is good STAB and Solar Beam hits water, rock, and ground types. I thought about running Earthquake for Heatran but Focus Blast seems better because it also hits Tyranitar. Roost for recovery and in case I don’t get a chance to remove Stealth Rock.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

I figured that banded Tyranitar would be a good choice for the second Pokémon because it can handle most things Charizard can’t and is also a really strong wallbreaker. Combined it’s also difficult for stall teams to handle. Stone Edge and Crunch are obvious STABs, Pursuit is to trap Psychic and Ghost types that could otherwise pose problems for the team, and Earthquake allows it to take on Magearna and Mega Mawile as well as handle Heatran and Toxapex a bit more easily. I put the EVs in speed as 176 so that it could outspeed Skarmory without speed investment.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

So obviously both of these Pokémon are weak to water as well as Banded Zygarde, so I needed something to counter both of these things, as well as a more defensive Pokémon in general. However I didn’t want something too passive so I needed something that could do decent damage as well. I figured Tangrowth would be perfect for this. I wasn’t sure what EVs were optimal so I just copied the recommended ones on the page for it. Giga Drain is good STAB to beat Water types, Knock Off is good utility to remove items, Hidden Power Ice is good for Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Zygarde. Earthquake hits Heatran who can easily take any the other three attacks.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hydro Pump

I figured that if Charizard could deal with most Grass types, Tyranitar with Psychic and Flying types, and Tangrowth with electric and water types, then Keldeo’s weaknesses would be mostly covered for and that it would often be able to do good damage to the opponent’s team. It helps against balance teams except for Toxapex and Tapu Fini a good amount. Scald is what I usually spam, Secret Sword is a great move help against stuff like Chansey and Ferrothorn, Icy Wind is good coverage but I rarely use it because of its low base power, and Hydro Pump is just used if I need the extra power.

Excadrill @ Steelium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

So obviously the team needed Stealth Rock support and hazard removal (especially with Charizard) so I thought Excadrill would be perfect, as it also gets Sand Rush to be a great partner with Tyranitar. Sand Rush Excadrill outspeeds most things and is able to deal a lot of damage so sometimes late game I can sack Tyranitar to get up sand and easily clean up the rest of the opponent’s team with Excadrill. Moves are self-explanatory. I originally had Life Orb on this but I figured since I didn’t have a Z-Move I might as well use one.

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I originally had this slot as Latios but Hawlucha would often come in on Tangrowth to set up without taking much damage and once it was at +2 it would sweep my whole team. So I added Focus Sash Alakazam to help deal with it. Other than that the choice is pretty random so if there are any other ways to deal with it then I’ll change this.

My team has some trouble against Zeraora but it’s not a huge threat because of Tangrowth. I’ve gotten swept by Clangorous Soulblaze Kommo-o a couple times but those are the only times I’ve seen it. Feedback and improvements would be greatly appreciated. I’m also not sure how to add the models of the Pokémon like I see in most RMTs.

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hey IceBlueLugia cool team you've got there. Zard-Y sand has fallen off a bit since ORAS, but it can still be effective in the meta. That said there are a few things I'd like to change on your team. One of those things is getting a better way to deal with Hawlucha besides Focus Sash Alakazam. I have some other things in mind besides solely relying on Excadrill for Rocks and Removal which can be hard to manage on a Zard-Y team. Without any further delay I'll just get into the team and changes I had in mind.

I'll start off by addressing Excadrill. I don't like a sand abuser set carrying both Rocks and Spin, just to much wasted potential. I want to remove Stealth Rock on your Excadrill for Swords Dance. You're still removing hazards for Charizard, but you're also applying pressure giving you another option for late game cleaning. Also this is more optional, but I really prefer running Jolly Excadrill. Allows you to outpace threats from Heatran to Adamant Zygarde outside of sand which can be really nice, plus you now have Swords Dance to help make up for drop in power.

Secondly I'd like to address Tyranitar. No Big concerns with the set, just want to recommend a bulkier spread. 176 speed Evs allow you to beat certain walls but I find it largely unnecessary. Especially since 176 speed is just leftovers after maxing attack and running some HP to just barely check Volcarona. With that in mind I would suggest running 76 speed on your Tyranitar, dumping the rest of your 100 EVs into HP. Will give you more bulk helping you deal with the aforementioned Volcaraona and other threats like M-Latios.

I would also suggest a move change on Tangrowth. I want to suggest Sludge Bomb > Earthquake. SpDef SD Bulu is a big threat in the meta right now, and currently your only switch in to this monster that can threaten it is Charizard-Y which can be scary especially if someone gets in Bulu with Rocks up. Sludge Bomb Tangrowth helps deal with Bulu better for the team. Also I know removing EQ makes you a bit weaker to Tran, but dw some of my other changes should help with this as your team shouldn't be to tran weak when I'm done with it.

>
I would Like to try out Rotom-W > Keldeo here. Rotom-W pairs really well with Tangrowth right now, plus gives you an extra Defog to sure up removal for Zard-Y. Rotom-W also checks threats like Gyarados that can be very problematic to your team. You also rely on Excadrill to check M-Pinsir right now, but if you lose Ttar early on it's better to have a back up plan + a better initial switch in. Also while I am suggesting a more PhysDef oriented set it will help relieve some pressure on Ttar who is relied on heavily to check Tornadus-T right now. Also Rotom-W gives you help vs Hawlucha which was a big concern for you initially.

>
Final change I'd like to make is Clefable>Alakazam. Cleafble gives you a few things, firstly a new Rocker helping you take that pressure off of Excadrill. I would like to run a Wish + Soft-Boiled set. This helps you keep mons like Rotom-W and Ttar healthier throughout the game helping you last vs more offensive teams. Clefable also gives the team an answer to threats like M-Medicham who decimated something everytime it came in before. Overall I feel really good about this change helping the whole team come together. Final move is Moonblast just for good stab, keeping Clef from being complete taunt bait.

That's going to wrap it up for my rate, hope it ends up working out for you! If you have anymore questions or concerns let me know. Had fun writing this up.

Here's an import of team with changes: https://pokepast.es/9ca3899e569d8151

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)