ORAS OU RMT: Mega Heracross Team

dawnmidst

I COULD BE BANNED!

Introduction

Hello everyone, welcome to this RMT for an OU Team I've been trying out lately. I haven't had a chance to ladder with it but so far its been doing pretty well in tournaments and I thought I could use some help.

The team is a team I made based around Mega Heracross which I like a lot because of its raw power and how well it uses its Skill Link Ability (And it looks like a badass Beetle Bro).

Teambuilding Process

A good core I found that covered each others weaknesses pretty well included Mega Heracross and Heatran. Heatran is weak to Water, Fighting, and Ground while Hera is weak to Fire, Psychic, and Fairy. They each cover their weaknesses except for Water which hits Heatran super effectively and no Mega Hera wants anything near a Scald.

Next I wanted to patch up a Water weakness and I needed a Physical Wall, so I put in Ferrothorn as my Physical Wall, however it can also take anything that isnt a Specs STAB Water attack, but that had me thinking. Ferrothorn doesn't appreciate Scald burn very which usually cripples its Attack and lowers its health without a reliable recovery move.

Finally I found a nice Pokemon in Latias to take Water attacks besides Ferrothorn. It also provides nice Defog Support in the case of Hazard Stacking Teams which cripple my walls and Mega Heracross. Psyshock and Psychic typing also allowed me to handle Fighting Types that threaten Ferrothorn and Heatran well.

Finally I decided to add Landorus-Therian to my team for Intimidate support for my core and as a solid lead in U-Turn. Its also nice to keep to the end for clean-up with its Choice Scarf. Plus, you can't go wrong with EdgeQuake! Keldeo is also a pretty bulky and fast Specs attacker which forces out a lot of Threats and Walls with solid Fighting and Water STAB.

Team Analysis

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

Mega Heracross is the Pokemon I wanted to make the team around. With its stupidly high Physical Attack Stat of 185, it has a gross 515 Attack without a Choice Band, allowing it to freely switch moves requiring less prediction then your average Band Wallbreaker. It has outstanding coverage being able to hit everything in the current meta for at least neutral damage. I run 204 speed to out-speed no speed Mew and base 100 Psychic Types in General, although if they run a different speed for like Bisharp or something let me know.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Lava Plume
- Flash Cannon

As previously mentioned, Heatran compliments Hera very well, which led it to be my special wall. I run Stealth Rock to weaken Flying and Ice Types when they switch because my team is weak to those types but naturally Rocks hits em. Roar is a really nice phasing option especially since Tran can take on both Physical and Special Attackers, although with the EV Spread Im running its better for Special Attackers. Lava Plume once revealed is a risk for incoming Physical Attackers to take usually keeping Heatran healthier. Flash Cannon at the end of the day really helps against Clefable and Altaria and is a nice STAB option.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn is a really nice Physical Wall that helps the Hera Heatran Core pretty nicely. Its Leech Seed allows the Bulky Mons on my team recover some HP with Leech Seed support and the Toxic is also nice for wearing down Bulky Set-Up Sweepers and Walls in general. And Gyro Ball is there to hit Mega Altaria without Fire Blast and Kyurem-Black, two huge threats to my team. Overall a nice physical wall with only 2 weaknesses.

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Latias is my Defogger / Fighting Check being the only thing on my team to clear hazards and hit Fighting Types Supereffectively. I don't particularly remember why I run 72 HP, but it really helps with overall bulk which is a plus, and Draco still is a very powerful STAB that hits like a truck. Roost is there to keep it alive from the Life Orb recoil and guaranteed Stealth Rocks it will face to Defog them away. Psyshock is there as my secondary stab to hit the likes of Mega Gallade and Fighting Types hard, and Mega Venusaur. [Edit: I think I run 72 HP to take Char Y Fire Blasts, no sure though.]

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Lando is my dedicated lead of the team with access to U-Turn and Intimidate, although it can also clean up pretty nicely late game thanks to EdgeQuake and a massive Attack and Speed stat thanks to the Scarf. EdgeQuake hits a lot of thinks for Supereffective damage and coming from a 145 Attack Stat, its going to hurt. Intimidate helps a lot of the bulky Mons on my team eat up hits from Physical Attackers. Knock Off is a nice move for hitting Weakened Bulky Psychic Types if Hera is gone and is also great for removing the opponent's item.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Hydro Pump

Alas, the final Pokemon Keldeo. This thing is a surprisingly Bulky Specs Wallbreaker although it primarily hits pretty fast too. Surf and Secret Sword are the two STAB attacks that hit for massive damage against a plethora of Types including Normal, Dark, Fire, Ground, Rock, Steel (Fuck Sand Offense XD), and Ice and usually hitting half the meta Neutral, if not more. Hydro Pump is a last resort just in case i can't kill something with a Surf. HP Ice to OHKO Physically Defensive Garchomp and hurt Grass types.
Threatlist

Mega Altaria Destroys my team if its Offensive Dragon Dance with Fire Blast. My only option is to weaken it before it sets up due to a lack of Roost.

Life Orb Kyurem-B can usually always get a kill or two against my team, it is hard to bring in Keldeo because anything besides Ice Beam or Iron Head does loads to it.

Once Lando is gone, Hammer Arm Megagross at least 2HKOS everything on my team.

Char Y usually destroys my team if Lando misses a Stone Edge and I lose it. Latias usually helps though.

Conclusion

There is my team, whether its good or not I'm looking for supportive feedback and if you can identify and more threats and provide ways to beat new ones you identify or the aforementioned ones, that would be pretty great. However, all feedback is also greatly appreciated, thank you!​

Last edited:

dawnmidst

I COULD BE BANNED!
All right thanks man!! That helps a ton, but what are the EVs on Tran, current or something else?

Hey dawnmidst, this is a really solid team.

On top of all of the suggestions above by KidMagic (i agree with all of them wholeheartedly) I'd also suggest you change your Heracross to Swords Dance > Earthquake.

The only use Earthquake ever had on M-Heracross was to break past Aegislash, which is currently banned. Your team is pretty stall weak and doesn't have many countermeasures to balance, so by running SD you can maximize on Heracross' damage output and ability to tear through teams at +2.

I'd also recommend you change Landorus-T from Scarf to Defensive so you have a consistent check to M-Lopunny and M-Metagross, as well as a more solid answer to SD Talonflame, all of which pressure your team quite a bit. I recommend you running Stealth Rock on this and Power Whip on Ferrothorn instead of Stealth Rocks so you have a more solid answer to rain teams and boosting water types such as Gyarados and Feraligatr.

In short:

SD M-Heracross > EQ M-Heracross
Bulky Lando-T > Choice Scarf Lando-T
Power Whip Ferrothorn > Stealth Rock Ferrothorn

Sets:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Protect
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball

Heracross @ Heracronite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pin Missile
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Rock Blast

Hope i could help!

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey man cool team.

I would suggest changing out your Ferrothorn for a Choice Band Scizor. This would let you revenge kill any kind of Altaria since it can't outspeed a Bullet Punch and hit you with Fire Blast. It would also give your team a form of priority which it is sorely lacking so that you can better deal with some offensive threats that outspeed a lot of the team. Pursuit trapping works great with Keldeo and opens up holes for it to clean up the other team. Scizor also provides a slow U-turn to get in your Heracross more freely and forms a Volt-Turn core with Landorus-T. It also alleviates some of the pressure from Metagross as it can take a couple attacks and U-turn out for good damage.

The next thing I would suggest is changing your Keldeo from Specs to Sub Calm Mind. You have a physical wallbreaker in Heracross that is already prediction reliant and I think Specs Keldeo just amplifies your prediction reliance. Sub Calm Mind also gives you a set-up sweeper and a stallbreaker, while maintaining some longevity.

I also agree with taking Earthquake off of Heracross and making it jolly max max. Earthquake tends to be redundant coverage with Close Combat anyway. I'd recommend putting Bullet Seed because your team doesn't really enjoy fat water types much.

Last suggestion is I would probably put Taunt on your Heatran over Roar. You don't rely on hazard stacking so while Roar does phaze out some setup sweepers, Taunt lets you beat Clefable more reliably which is kind of an issue for the team. Plus, you do have answers to all 3 of the Mega DDers already and Heatran doesn't really need to roar out Volcarona or Serperior which it can beat anyway provided they don't carry HP Ground. If you do this I'd also add 68 Speed EVs just so you can taunt standard Suicunes and Mega Venusaurs.

Below are the set changes and suggestions:
Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Heracross @ Heracronite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Lava Plume
- Flash Cannon

Oh, I would also give your Latias 0 Atk IVs so that Foul Play and confusion do less damage. This is a good general thing to do on your special attackers that run no physical moves.

Last edited:

dawnmidst

I COULD BE BANNED!
Thanks guys!! This all looks really solid and I appreciate the support. I especially like how you guys are giving me great options to beat out Stall, which is usually a hard win or a loss for me.

Really good team mate and the rates above cover almost everything that crossed my mind. But then if you come across cm mega sableye,it's pretty much an auto lose. So I think the sub cm keldeo would indeed be better in case you do get into a cm war. The best thing however would be unaware clefable. It doesn't give two shakes of a rats ass to any set up sweeper and also functions as a cleric in case your Heracross gets statused.

Hope I helped :)

Hey this is an interesting team, unfortunately I don't have a lot of time. However, I have used a very similar one, and so I know it pretty well. I actually used the same core and everything. Anyways, this team is not lacking in the power department, That's for sure, but I found it to be to slow to deal with a lot of offensive pressure. I don't have time to come up with any specific suggestions, but that's just an issue I have found overall. Your fastest mon sits at 350 Spe, iirc, and you don't have means of dealing w/ DD sweepers, as far as I can tell. Actually, I lied; lando t kinda works, but that's your only answer to it. If they can get rid of lando, it's basically over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)