Gen 3 RMT OU Physical Offense

Hello all, this will be my second RMT. Thanks to the helpful advice i received from the first one, I was able to take that team to number 1 on the showdown gen 3 ladder. I'm hoping i will achieve similar results with this RMT. Anyway, the team is a fairly standard physical offense team, it functions by removing skarm forre and bulky waters, then pummeling my opponent with strong physical attacks.

At a Glance

Metagross

Metagross @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Atk / 16 Def / 8 SAtk / 4 Spd
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Metagross is this team's lead. It scares out a lot of common leads such as aerodactyl, tyranitar, and sometimes gengar unless they're ballsy. It mainly acts as a wall breaker, luring in bulky waters and exploding. HP grass is to prevent protect pert from killing me for free, and also allows me to save explosion for a later target. Metagross is kind of the mvp of this team, while it doesn't really sweep a whole lot, it is usually the reason another poke is able to sweep. The evs allow me to live adamant duggy earthquakes, and kill opposing dugtrio with my own earthquake. Special attack is for a comfortable 2hko on pert.

Snorlax

Snorlax (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 124 HP / 192 Atk / 36 SpA / 156 SpD
Brave Nature
- Return
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Self-Destruct

Snorlax acts as a temporary buffer to special attackers until i can kill them with my offense. with prediction it can usually hit one of its switch ins pretty hard with eq, and then blow a hole through something that was giving me problems with self destruct. Fire Blast is nice to surprise skarmory and forretress that manage to sneak past magneton. As far as evs go, im going to be honest I don't really know how to EV lax. Special attack evs help with skarm according to smogon, and I put in a bit of attack and special defense to do what lax does best, but some suggestions here would be nice.

Salamence

Salamence (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Rock Slide

Salamence has become the team's primary win condition. Once bulky water types and skarmory are out of the way it has an easy time sweeping after a dragon dance. I like to save it for later on in the game, however there are a few pokemon I have a hard time checking without it, namely celebi, heracross and some other fighting types.

Celebi

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 60 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Psychic
- Leech Seed
- Recover

Celebi helps me deal with opposing curselax, gengar and swampert. Leech seed is for lax, psychic is for gengar, and hp grass makes me less vulnerable to dugtrio. Celebi also takes the load off from snorlax a bit against zapdos and suicune. The evs prevent me from being 2hko'd by gengar, while outspeeding jolly tar, and providing some physical bulk.

Magneton

Magneton @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 204 HP / 252 SAtk / 52 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magneton serves two distinct roles on this team. The first is to rid me of skarm and forre, as well as metagross to an extent, and the second is to give me something to absorb status from gengar. The bulkier spread allows me to take a few more attacks from gengar, while still performing magneton's main role.

Swampert

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 56 SpA / 4 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Roar
- Protect

Swampert is the team's bulky water. A defensive pivot to fall back on should I lose tempo. I chose Swampert for this role because of its ability to sponge rock attacks more effectively. Roar allows me to phaze out attackers that are too boosted for swampert to deal with, while simultaneously giving me some greater assurance against curselax, and baton pass teams. The evs help me to take out salamence, while also putting a large emphasis on physical bulk.

Threats to Keep in Mind

Dugtrio can be a bit of a problem, especially if it manages to trap magneton. Metagross and celebi are also somewhat weak to it, but are significantly harder to trap than mag. Gengar can be difficult at times, with only celebi and magenton as real answers, however the addition of celebi has made it much more manageable. Curselax can be difficult, even with leech seed, but i don't really want to give up one of my attacking moves on celebi for calm mind or reflect, as it leaves me more vulnerable to gengar or dugtrio depending on which i go for.

Importable
Metagross @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Atk / 16 Def / 8 SpA / 4 Spe
Brave Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Salamence (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Rock Slide

Magneton @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Snorlax (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 124 HP / 192 Atk / 36 SpA / 156 SpD
Brave Nature
- Return
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Self-Destruct

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 60 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Psychic
- Leech Seed
- Recover

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 56 SpA / 4 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Roar
- Protect

Last edited:
It actually is weak to Dugtrio switches, as nothing really beyond Metagross is EVed to survive EQ (and Metagross may die due to prior damage). Plus you might tragically lose Magneton to one of those (He switches in Gengar, you switch in Magneton, he switches in Dugtrio into your thunderbolt, you just lost your Gengar counter). EV your Magneton to survive Dugtrio's EQ first.

Magneton with max defense max hp never survives jolly dugtrio eathquake, so that's kind of off the table. Metagross is pretty difficult to actually kill with dugtrio. It can't switch in, and i need to have taken prior damage. The rest of the team, other than snorlax takes advantage of dugtrio to gain tempo. Maybe i could add fireblast on something so that i fail with magneton im in less of a hole? Please some actual suggestions would be nice.

Yeah, Fire Blast works, but you still have the Gengar problem, as nothing is guaranteed to beat it (Metagross can get wisped, Aero wisped or smashed with T-Bolt, Lax can be wisped or exploded on) Also, I realised this later, you're seriously weak to Lum Berry Suicune which outspeeds your Magneton, meaning that if it CMs, it can take a Thunderbolt, set up further, and wreck you (CM Suicune is commonly given max HP and Def so it can take hits from any of your other Pokemon, status from Milotic, etc.) (Or worse, My prior scenario occurs and you have no Magneton to try and take this thing out). atm I dont really have any ideas how to help with Gengar or Suicune so this is just to bring it to your attention.

gorgie

formerly Floppy, now Rock hard
Lord Ninjax, have you ever played a game of ADV OU? I am not being sarcastic by the way.

if yes, about how many?

re: your team cowboy dan, you have a glaring DD Tyranitar problem. There is not much you can do to stop it from coming in, slowly wear your team down, switch out, and repeat that cycle until it's time to set up for The Final Donking.

Generally speaking, your team is relatively slow and lacks any form of direction or momentum-gaining paths, (aka key ingredients for winning games). I suggest you backtrack a few steps, decide on a win condition or two you'd like to base the team around, then rewire everything based on that newfound blueprint and tweak from there.

Last edited:
Yeah cune usually just ends up getting blown up on by lax which im fine with because that's kinda what the lax is meant to do. Floppy, yes i see your point about the lack of an obvious win condition, this is why I have recently been putting ttar over aero as i mentioned. I think im going to try and rework the team to incorporate it without opening serious holes. thanks.

MoxieInfinite

Banned deucer.
you can probs ditch something and add claydol so you also can spin while somewhat still checking ttar and mence idk, but then your team is pretty much a worse mcmeghan team.

youre weak to curselax. then again, so is pretty much every team. your team also struggles with physical offense in general, milotic will fall sooner or later, and thus, mence/ttar/whatever will march through, unless you can break them first.

the problem here is, as floppy mentioned, you dont really have any plan for winning games outside of hitting things with physical attacks and hoping for the best. you dont have any sweepers that setup lategame and clean; aero is your closest thing to this due to his speed but hes much less effective without ttars sand to neuter leftovers on things like porygon2 and suicune that are suddenly much more effective checks as well as ttar weakening their collective checks like flygon and swampert. as an alternative to the ddtar youre already testing, i would try a subsalac heracross, hes really strong with mag support and gives you a definitive win condition to work towards.

i'm not really a fan of milotic on mag teams, so here are some other options. if youre afraid of dugtrio, you could make milotic a p2, who works like a bulky water while also trapping dug after its killed one of your dudes. it also helps out with shit like gyarados and cb flygon that could mess you up a bit right now. if you end up going with ddtar, you can use a sub salac swampert, works quite well with sand and gives you another rock resist which is useful because metagross explodes often. its not going to stick around forever but it will do a lot of damage before it goes down and its still bulky, which alongside your 2 boomers + intimidate should give you enough leeway against offense to pull out a sweep.

lastly, if youre looking to make your team a little faster with the loss of aero, cb tauros is quite speedy, works very well with mag, and has intimidate.

good luck

Lord Ninjax, have you ever played a game of ADV OU? I am not being sarcastic by the way.

if yes, about how many?
10 total, 7 wins, 2 losses, 1 DC (though I don't really think I played any tournament players though, and I switched between 3 versions of my ADV RMT)

Anyways, Cowboy Dan, my advice is to yeah, add in something that helps you guarantee wins, like set up sweepers to pair with Aerodactyl (Possibly make Salamence a DD variant, replace something with T-Tar, etc). Tyranitar pairs well in that his sand helps to negate leftovers recovery on Aero's checks, while Salamence and Aero work well in tandem, one can weaken their checks (Steels, bulky waters etc), and let the other sweep. This pairing also makes Magneton kinda useless on this team, freeing you up a spot, for maybe a better counter to CMers and other Specially based Mons like Gengar.

edit: Do Rock Types get the SpDef boost in Sand 3rd Gen? If so you can cut Magneton, and use Tyranitar to beat CMers, Gengar etc, make it a more defensive variant while keeping Aero and DD Salamence to pair and clean up late game.

gorgie

formerly Floppy, now Rock hard
that is really sweet and all, but his "honesty" here is doing zero good for all parties involved. I would suggest he takes Isa's advice for now and try this RMT thing again sometime in the future when he has attained greater knowledge of the ADV metagame.

also i just realized upon further inspection that you are super susceptible (read: easily 6-0'd) to curselax, the most outdated monster in the book.

das no bueno chico.

just scrap the team and start fresh, and take and apply all advice youve been given here in your future endeavors,

gl hombre.

edit: also BKC, technically speaking, sub salac swampert is not a "rock resist"; it will falter in that role vs more "balanced" or slower teams.

Last edited:
you can use salamence DD, switch milotic by swampert to handle rock slide. Your team will probably be fine.

I liked the team, good fun for you :)

Last edited:
Alright I have edited this team to help deal with some of the problems people have pointed out, It is still far from perfect, although i'm hoping it is a step in the right direction to help me get some better feedback :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)