SM OU RMT - Pinsir/Mence "Birdspam" Offense

So I really enjoyed playing birdspam offense teams in Gen 6, and while that playstyle really took a big hit this gen, I wanted to try to create something that emulated the same goal of running an offensive core that worked by wearing down each others checks until one could sweep. Right now I'm sitting at a rank of about 1600 but I've been struggling to deal with a lot of threats so I'd like some advice.

The Offensive Core

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

The boss Pokemon of the team, relatively standard set. I prefer to run Earthquake over CC for several reasons, namely because it hits more for SE, it doesnt require pinsir to switch, it is the less common option so people will swap in Metagross and Toxapex only to get OHKOed by an EQ, and EQ hits more for super effective than CC does, which hits a lot of common checks for only neutral coverage. To give an idea of how effective this thing is at breaking down its usual checks even without CC, +2 Return deals 55.2 - 65% to specially defensive Celesteela. +2 CC deals 72.6 - 85.6%, so even after rocks, both options 2HKO regardless unless Return rolls to absolute minimum damage without rocks up.

Salamence @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fly
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Pinsir's brother and the other star of the team, I prefer to use Pinsir for earlier game and save Salamence for late game if I can help it. Once checks have sustained enough damage, this thing can quickly become unstoppable after a DD. Supersonic Skystrike does 53.5 - 63.3% to specially defensive celesteela, so in tandem the two can break down walls even as strong as that.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

A scarfer is necessary for this type of team, and I needed a ground type in order to help revenge kill a Pokemon that would otherwise be a massive threat to this team, Tapu Koko (along with other fast electric types). Because Pinsir and Mence obliterate all ground resists, its fairly easy to set up a sweep for Landorus-T. Knock off, U-turn, and Intimidate also all help immensely in the early game, this thing is just a broken Pokemon.

Support Pokemon

Magnezone @ Chople Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Mirror Coat
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

I love this set. People fall for the lure and believe its specs all the time, and will do things as crazy as switching in Ferrothorn expecting me to be locked into Thunderbolt, only to lose a Pokemon for no reason. This set also does a fantastic job of dealing with strong special attackers like Tapu Lele, who otherwise my team struggles immensely against, since its typing synergizes with the rest of my team so well due to resisting boltbeam. Mirror Coat and Chople Berry also lets this set serve as a soft check to special attackers who my team is otherwise weak to.

Oh, and my whole offensive core gets walled by defensive Steel types so that's the main reason for running this, of course.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Bonemerang
- Stealth Rock

Another Pokemon that synergizes defensively really well with the rest of my team and my rocks setter of choice thanks to how easy it is to switch in, I prefer to run the bulky spread due to the amount of damage I want this Pokemon to be able to sustain. Countering electric types that would otherwise tear through my offensive core gives this Pokemon many chances to switch in and deal some good damage to soften up the enemy. The ghost typing is so incredible due to having an additional poison resist and not having to worry about Dugtrio trapping me, who could otherwise tear through my support core.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 16 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast
- Defog

For my last Pokemon this team absolutely requires a defogger or spinner as half my team carries a rock weakness. I chose Tapu Fini because its bulk makes it extremely reliable, its water/fairy typing synergizes well with the rest of my team and covers up my lack of resistance to water and dark moves, and being able to remove Psychic Terrain from the field at will to help Pinsir be able to sweep is also very nice. Misty Terrain doesn't help me too much since 3 of my Pokemon are flying types, but it can be nice because it still prevents Pinsir from getting burned by Scalds before I mega evolve it.

Biggest Threats

Greninja - I hate this thing and its by far the biggest threat to this team. Tapu Fini can wall Ash variants at least, but protean variants destroy it with gunk shot, so guessing whether I should switch in Fini for Ash variants or Lando-T for protean variants (they always gunk shot) is a total crapshoot. Not only that but I have no switch-ins for the protean variant and am forced to sac things to deal with it, and scarfed protean variants can potentially 6-0 my team, being by far the most threatening set. Even at +2 a mega pinsir quick attack can't always OHKO a healthy greninja as long as rocks aren't up (87.3 - 103.1%). I honestly would rather just wait for this thing to hopefully get kicked to Ubers where it belongs than continue to ladder if I end up having to run it just to keep up. Absolutely not willing to run Greninja.

Rain teams - Once Tapu Fini is removed, offensive rain teams can obliterate my team, as I have no Pokemon who can take a hit from Swift Swim Specs Kingdra's hydro pump after that. Fini isn't the perfect answer to Specsdra either, as it still can take 44% from a hydro pump so it can potentially be 2hkoed if its forced to sustain stealth rocks damage and one layer of spikes, which is unfortunate because Fini has to switch into hazards a lot in order to remove them. Even Salamence gets 2HKOed by Surf so it isn't an answer.

Another absolutely devastating Pokemon, although uncommon, is Ludicolo. Life orb Giga Drain cleanly 2HKOes Tapu Fini. M-Pinsir quick attack in return only does 79.7 - 94.3% to Ludicolo, meaning there is a decent chance Ludicolo won't be OHKOed after rocks damage, and without rocks damage I am screwed. I essentially have to sac one other thing as well as Tapu fini to be able to consistently stop it.

Big Threats

Tapu Lele -
Scary damage to my whole team and no solid switch ins, I have to rely on magnezone to beat it.

Mega Alakazam - same threat level reasons as Tapu Lele although not quite as threatening since it doesn't set psychic terrain to stop itself from getting quick attacked, but it usually is paired with Lele anyways.

Landorus-T - I actually don't have any ice moves on my team to OHKO it, and my two best answers to it

Gengar - I have no switch-ins to Gengar and it tears through my defensive core easily. Scarf Gengar also can be difficult to deal with if I'm even slightly weakened

Chandelure - Same reasons as Gengar except its somewhat easier to deal with since its not guaranteed to 2HKO Tapu Fini even with Energy ball unless its specs. Its also more predictable.

Mamoswine - no switch ins and can beat my entire offensive core with Ice Shard.

Tapu Koko - I have two pokemon that don't get OHKOed by this thing. Thankfully with some prediction I can get around it though, but they usually opt to get a free U-turn since it can come in against half my team and regain momentum.

ice type, ghost type, electric type, and water type attackers in general

I think that's about it. Any suggestions? I am willing to swap out any Pokemon to make the team better and move away from the idea of "birdspam", but I want to keep the teams hyper-offense gameplan at least.

Scarf Ttar can fix some of your problems. Also don't run scarf Lando, it's the worst set for it. Chomp outclasses it as a scarfer (funny coz Lando outclasses chomp in every other area)

252 Atk Tyranitar Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 322-380 (89.1 - 105.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Ttar resists ghost, is immune to psychic so lele can't spam psychic, removes rain with sand

Scarf Ttar can fix some of your problems. Also don't run scarf Lando, it's the worst set for it. Chomp outclasses it as a scarfer (funny coz Lando outclasses chomp in every other area)
Only problem is I'll have an even bigger problem with Lando-T, but otherwise I think I'll try this.

Anish

luckynbad
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hey,

cool team and i really like the birdspam idea, mence + pins are extremely tricky to deal with, and can threaten almost every team, especially since mence can often lure in scarfers by hitting them on the switch , like scarfchomp and scarfterrak, which would free up m pins to clean. however your team heavily struggles vs volcarona, which outspeeds your entier team after a quiver dance, and also doesnt have a reliable switch to tapu lele or a good ground resist, which means zygarde, offensive lando t and scarfchomp can all be extremely tough to face. i have a couple of suggestions , which would hopefully help you.

>
first off, id like to recommend running a scarf terrakkion > scarf lando t. scarf terrakion is able to revenge kill volcarona and outspeed other speed boosting base 100s like salamence and charizard mega x, while still functioning as a check to pokemon like mega pinsir, and acting as a scarfer which can clean , after pinsir and mence have punched holes. additionally, terrak can maintain pressure on zapdos, which would otherwise be extremely annoying to your team, due to my upcoming changes, and having a way to force it out is imperative for this team. terrak still is able to softcheck fires like heatran and charizard mega y , tho it has to be careful with earth power and solar beam respectively. the main drawback is the loss of a ground resist, which makes offensive lando t, zygarde, and scarfgarchomp more irritating, and while terrakkion can somewhat help with mega metagross, it does less damage and gets ohkod back, meaning that is more threatening although pokemon like mega pinsir can also surprise m meta by living a mash and koing back with a +2 eq, if sding on the switch, or just do masssive damage in general.

>
next off i would like to suggest running a defensive landorus therian > marowak alola. defensive lando t can act like a ground resist, and help checking annoying pokemon like cb zygarde, scarf garchomp, and offensive lando t. it also can act like a pivot to get pinsir and salamence in vs grasses like av tangrowth, which are often ground resists, can use hp ice to get chip on lando, and provides stealth rocks support. if you plan on using this team in a metagame where mega metagross is legal, i would also suggest you run a yache berry on lando, to function as a lure, which also helps vs mega medicham, especially medicham + tapu koko cores. this change does make zapdos more threatening, which is what the addition of terrakion compensates for. additionally this does make stall a tad more threatening, however u can use tapu fini to exert offensive pressure on stall while the combination of mence + pinsir can wear down skarmory/zapdos into range for either one of these, while skarmory + zapdos stall often run spd zap, which is easier to break past.

you could also run an assualt vest magnezone > chople berry magnezone. av allows magnezone to pivot into special attackers like tapu lele and alakazam better, while also help with gengar, tapu koko, and protean greninja, many of which you mentioned were extremely threatening to this team. i would also suggest running 148 speed to be able to trap faster spreads of mega scizor. you could still keep mirror coat on this team, as it does surprise m zam, as well as punishing vs protean greninja and heat wave 3 attack zapdos , which can all be somewhat annoying for this team.

• i would also recommend running dragon claw>outrage on salamence, as not being locked into a move can help it late game, and prevent mega metagross, and fairies from blocking sweeps, and while dragon claw does lack a bit of power, you can often weaken pokemon through others like m pins, till mence has enough power to sweep.

• you could also run a bold nature on tapu fini with 0 spd evs, so that it is able to take on mamoswine a tad better, as well as other physical attacker like lando t, and take less from mega metagross meteor mash , while you still maintain a fairly decent ash greninja check, while also run 72 speed to speed creep opposing tapu fini , and defensive lando t, so that you defog a bit better.
Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Salamence @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fly
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Magnezone @ Chople Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Mirror Coat / Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast
- Defog

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power Ice
- U-turn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)