ORAS OU RMT: Stagnant Sun

So I've been playing with this team a good while now and have been deviating between 1500-1600 or so right now. Part of it is that I'm a shitplayer and haven't gotten the whole enemy analysis wincon stuff down, but I like to believe another part can be corrected in my team. You tell me.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Focus Blast

The star of the show and without a doubt the most horrifying nuke I have ever seen. Charizard-Y brings to the table crazy amounts of sun boosted power. The majority of the time, once I bring him in, all I have to do is click Fire Blast and watch things roast. I've seen this guy do 53% on TankChomp with Fire Blast. Weak to SR, though, and somewhat countered by Heatran and T-tar. 100 Base Speed is not bad, by all means, but makes him annoyingly susceptible to being revenged faster mons like non-tank Garchomp, Lati@s, Keldeo and Weavile, to list a few.

I've basically kept his set the same from the beginning. Roost and Focus Blast didn't seem to be doing much for me, so I tried Dragon Pulse and Earthquake, but wouldn't you know it, just after I took them off, I started missing them again! So yeah, the set is pretty standard; Solar Beam does some nice damage on anything that isn't completely demolished by Fire Blast, Roost recovers against SR damage and sun-weakened water moves like Scarf Keldeo's scald under the sun, and Focus Blast does reasonable damage to predicted Heatrans and Tyranitars. I'd be up for changing this guy's set or even his existence, but though I somehow thought Zard-Y was a bit underwhelming when I first used him, I think so no more. This is a nuke of indescribable proportions, and a vitally powerful member to my current team.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon

This guy is a BRO. He has compounded water weakness with Zard-Y, which is kind of unpleasant, but he is a good alternate fire type for when I don't want to bring Zard-Y in on SR. Solid counter to T-flame, who would be a bad nuisance to my team otherwise, and the max-speed offensive variant is just unexpected enough to get the jump and nail Scizor and Scizor-mega like they're going out of style. It's hypothetically good against Sand Rush Excadrill before the balloon breaks, but I can't remember not being flinched on that vital turn. Okay, so maybe he's less of a bro than I thought.

Either ways, a strong addition to my team. Charizard-Y's sun does it no end of good, weakening water attacks against it and making Fire Blast more powerful. I decided to go for four attacks because I have TankChomp for Stealth Rock, but I've been debating changing Earth Power or Flash Cannon to have a back up Stealth Rocker. I've also contemplated using Scarf or even Specs Tran for a stunning backup nuke/revenge killer, and given my recent troubles with Weavile, I actually might.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

On any team with Zard-Y, a rapid spinner is vital. Offensive Starmie is my spinner of choice. It's frail but fast; if need be, I can send it in to suicide spin. 115 Spe means it can nail the Lati twins with Ice Beam, as well as outrun non-Scarf Gengar, the premier offensive spinblocker, and Psyshock it before it can do anything. This is also my answer to Keldeo, albeit not the best one. While Sun Support does weaken Hydro Pump, sun sometimes doesn't come up until late game, giving Starmie a good chance to get some strong shots in. This is usually my lead of choice when I see TankChomp on the other team, as Starmie easily outspeeds and Ice Beam OHKOs before anything happens. I like Natural Cure better than Analytic as I don't miss the power from Analytic, typically, and Natural Cure allows Starmie to absorb Thunder Waves and Will-o-Wisps easily.

I've toyed with the idea of using Defensive Spinner Starmie, but considering my team is mostly offensive, I'd hate to lose the momentum. Still, Thunder Wave support would be much appreciated given Zard-Y's Spe, and considering how Starmie often lures Weavile...still, I feel like it just wouldn't be functional.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

The coolest of cats, and my last ditch scarfer. Landorus-T is a great lead pivot if I'm really unsure of how the opponent's going to start off. It's a great pivot in general, and has a Spe tier that gives it a little blessing when scarfed. The set is pretty straightforward. This guy is my answer to Thundurus and Raikou, though he can't switch in unless I'm sure of prediction. Also does a nice number on Heatran and Magnezone. Between his ability, bulk, and offenses, I can't really find anything bad to say about Landorus-T.

Admittedly, he does compound my water weakness on a team with only one water resist. Still, I'm not sure what I would do without him. He doesn't help against Weavile either, though...

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic

Generic TankChomp set. I don't actually know what the EVs do, just stole em off of Smogon. Go figure. Arguably the best bulky SR setter in the metagame, and a great way to rack up passive damage on opposing Landorus-T, Talonflame and Scizor. Touch this guy and take a smooth 30% damage or so. Also a reasonable answer to Rotom-W, as I don't mind this guy getting burned and poisoning the washing machine cuts down on it's defensive functionality hella lot. Not to mention Hydro Pump from Rotom-W does around 30% or so.

Another guy to compound my Weavile weakness, but his functionality is unquestionable. Dragon Tail can force out Talonflame, opposing Charizards, and is generally just sweet to rack up hazard damage with. It survives HP Ice from Thundurus and non-specs Raikou, two pretty common anti-leads against it, though not LO Starmie Ice Beam, as shown above. In general, a nice, bulky mon, and one I usually sacrifice early to mid game for a good switch in.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

This guy has been good since forever. Bulky, amazing defensive typing, and a ridiculously strong priority move boosted three ways to heaven has assured Scizor's place as a veritable god. On my team, he runs a classic CB set, somewhat uncommon nowadays, but very functional. Scizor can switch in on a variety of threats, though not repeatedly. Such threats include Altaria-Mega, Kyurem-B, Lati@s, and Weavile. From there, he can slow U-turn out, which allows me to scout for good switch ins. Bullet Punch is a good cleaner and hole puncher, though I have to be careful to avoid hitting Rotom-W or Heatran with it lest I get messed up.

My only Weavile counter. A good counter, mind you, but it gets hit by Knock Off more often then I'd like, and is far too easily weakened to be reliable at taking out the clawed menace late game, when she usually shows her ugly face. Still, it does great against Lati@s and fairy types and finds no end of opportunities to switch in and U-turn out. IVs are so I can get a slower U-turn versus opposing Scizors.​

And that's a wrap! Below are threats to my team, from what I can recall.

Weavile: It can do something like OHKO or 2HKO my entire team after Scizor's gone. Not pleasant. It is somewhat rare, which is a relief, and Scizor does do REALLY well agains it, but the fact remains that it's an ugly black fly in what is typically enjoyable soup.

Water Types: A rather general category, I know, but there's three mons that really get to me. Gyarados (and mega), Rotom-W and Azumarill. All three are bulky offensive water types that can punch annoying holes in my team left and right. Rotom-W is the least annoying, as it's not really offensively capable of doing much, but Gyarados and Azumarill are both hard to hit powerfully and ridiculously strong. Keldeo deserves a mention for being an annoying water type, but I've not really had too much trouble with him, oddly.

CHANGES TO THE TEAM:

Garchomp -> Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Verdict: Effective. They both set up SR reliably, and while Clefable doesn't act as a catch all as well as Garchomp does, it has really great reliable and recovery and Thunder Wave support that allows it to last effectively throughout an entire game rather than being sacrificed early game. It can keep tossing up SR if needed, which is beautiful. Fairy typing is great both defensively and offensively, and Clefable has been putting in work since I added it.

Starmie -> Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Thunderbolt
- Draco Meteor
- Defog

Verdict: Pending. I've used Latias a lot before and I really like what it can do. Draco Meteor has solid nuking capabilities and a fast Healing Wish is an absolute godsend. Defog avoids spinblockers and also removes screens. I haven't used it in action against Keldeos yet, though, so no verdict there. I can say I miss the extra 5 points of Spe that put Starmie into a godly speed tier, and the powerful Ice Beam that the spinning gemstone starfish offered. Thunderbolt has proven useful in dealing with Azumarill, though, which is nice.

Last edited:
Yo! That team is looking great in my opinion. However, I'd like to mention some things:

I'd replace Lando-T with Thundurus. Not only does it beat those bulky water types, it offers speed control (via T Wave)! It would surely come in handy, as your main powerhouses will have a better time outspeeding the foe.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

The Toxic on Garchomp is interesting, but I think Endure would be more useful to you. It'll allow you to get off your last chip damage on physical attacking mons, which is very useful.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 164 Def / 76 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Endure
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

I hoped this helped! Good luck in your future battles! n_n

Hey fren, you have a cool team here but you have some major flaws with your water weakness, weavile and Mlop weakness. I recommend replacing Bulkychomp with Clefable to cover some of your weaknesses and have better synergy.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

"...the given Special Defense investment in tandem with a Calm nature allows Clefable to avoid the 2HKO from Mild Life Orb Kyurem-B's Ice Beam, Thundurus's Thunderbolt, Mega Diancie's Moonblast, and Mega Manectric's Thunderbolt. 172 Defense EVs allow Clefable to avoid the 2HKO from Jolly Mega Lopunny's Return, Latios's Psyshock, and Jolly Mega Gyarados's Waterfall as well as the OHKO from Choice Band Scizor's Bullet Punch. Magic Guard prevents Clefable from being worn down by status and continual switches with entry hazards on the field."- Credit to smogon.com throw in this calc against one of your bigger threats "252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 179-212 (45.4 - 53.8%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery" and this is a much add piece to your team.

Still even with this new mon, if Charizard and Clef are worn down Keldeo just comes in and claims a kill, so i suggest running Latias instead. I know that rapid spin, but there are a few reasons why Lati is better. Look at the difference in these calcs

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Starmie: 153-180 (58.3 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 312-369 (96.5 - 114.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 236-278 (79.4 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

or

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 107-126 (33.5 - 39.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
184 SpA Life Orb Latias Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 312-369 (96.5 - 114.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

The point here is that if starmie takes any prior damage, it isnt a good switch in and then Keldeo runs house through your team. So, if you would still rather run offensive starmie, i would think you need to put recover onto that set

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock/Tbolt
- Healing Wish/Roost

I like both recommendations, but I can't take them just yet. This team is meant to be offensive and pressuring, and while Support Clefable does help patch up a lot, it might not put enough pressure as TankChomp does. I will investigate, however.

While Endure Chomp is pretty cool (I've seen it in action a few times), Chomp has really been more of my "take all comers" mon. I switch it in when I don't know what to switch; it takes Scalds, Will-o-Wisps, and all manner of shit from all manner of mon. I think Clefable would fill that gap better, so I'm replacing it. However, if I replace Chomp with Clefable, I can't really afford to exchange Landorus-T for Thundurus. The physical/special split would be far too skewed; already, both my physical attackers are choiced. Clefable can offer T-wave support as well, and while it can't handle water types, I think I've dealt with them good enough thus far.

I'm debating the switch to Latias. I can't see why not besides the Defog versus Rapid Spin thing, given Clefable support, so I might try it.

Hi man cool team. I agree with the clefable suggestion but I don't think it should be put over bulky garchomp. I don't really see the point of heatran on your team. It only compunds your water weakness. I would replace actually replace clefable > heatran. Clefable can deal with most of the water type that give your team issue but if your still worried about them you could try Chestnaught > Garchomp. Chestnaught provides not only a water resist but spikes support which given your team could really help. Just know that if you replace garchomp with chestnaught then clefable should have stealth rocks. Finally Super power > knock off on scizor so you don't get deal with magnzone and heatran on the switch.
Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind/stealth rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder wave

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Drain Punch
- Spikes
- Wood Hammer

Heatran is a hard check to Talonflame and can take down Skarmory and Ferrothorn if I am unable to take down rocks in time. The offensive variant is also good for taking out Scizor (which can KO Charizard after SR with SD or CB Bullet Punch) and opposing Heatran in a pinch, and it's actually been able to KO defensive Landorus-T's that think they're safe more often than not. I am not unwilling to replace it or TankChomp, but this team was made to play offensively and to add Chesnaught would really start to make me lose momentum. I was okay with switching out TankChomp with Clefable because they shared the purpose of putting up SR, while Clefable lost residual damage and phazing in exchange for being a paralysis spreader with great typing (it's been great, by the way. Paralysis REALLY helps this team shine), and they are both mostly defensive mons with a little offensive presence.

Chesnaught on the other hand would replace a very good surprise offensive Pokemon with a pretty predictable wall and hazard setter, which I don't think would be a good idea. It would disrupt momentum to send it in, and with Defog Latias, stacking spikes is not a good idea. I don't think I want to try it for now, just because it defeats the purpose of the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)