Gen 3 RMT: Strength comes from sacrifice

Team Ver. 3 Record: 33 wins, 9 losses (on netbattle)--about 80% of battles! Granted not all have been great players, but a fair few have been

This is my first RMT so bear with me. As the title suggests, this team revolves around the bellydrummer Charizard, who can get in with memento when necessary. I have lurked on Smogon for a looong time now, but not so much in the ADV metagame. Well, here goes.
Changes are in Bold

VERSION 3 of Team Sacrificial Strength
The focus of the team is still sweeping and sacrificing when necessary. Needed to plug up a few holes like my T-tar weakness and general stability. Gardevoir is back to being a memento-user in case Weezing fails, or vice-versa.

Exeggutor added because Charizard LOATHES Sandstorm, and because Exeggutor kicks all manner of ass.

Metagross is now a Resttalker to absorb sleep and status in general. Tried Celebi before Exeggutor but it wasn't good for the team. Let me know if there are any more readily apparent problems.

Gardevoir@Salac Berry
Trace
Nature: Timid
EVs: 56 HP, 252 SpecAtk, 200 Spd
-Memento
-Thunderwave
-Psychic
-Thunderbolt/Ice Punch

Switched back to offensive spread and changed to memento and t-wave again

Weezing@Leftovers
Levitate
Nature: Brave
EVs: 252 HP, 178 Atk, 68 SpcAtk, 12 Spd
-Memento
-Fire Blast
-Sludge Bomb
-Will-o-Wisp/Haze

Has a Brave nature again, because Weezing is not going to outspeed any version of TTar with 159 speed, since all the standard versions use enough speed evs to get past him. Though people might say "Weezing+attacking=wtf" I think he will be able to break up stall teams quite nicely. Debating Shadow Ball over Fire Blast--Shadow Ball DOES help against Dusclops and Gengar. Memento for Charizard.

Exeggutor@Leftovers
Chlorophyll
Nature: Modest
EVs: 48 HP, 252 SpAtk, 210 Spe
-Solarbeam
-HP Ice
-
Sunny Day
-
Sleep Powder

Exeggutor for weather support and for overall awesomeness. Can counter Raikou if it comes in on the sub, uses sunny day, and kills the sub--should break it even with a calm mind.

Swampert@Leftovers
Torrent
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP, 136 Def, 120 SpcAtk
-Earthquake
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Roar

Desperately needed Swampy for Raikou (of the HP Ice variety) and/or Tyranitar. Roar for other set-up sweepers as well.

Metagross@Leftovers
Clear Body
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP, 172 Atk, 44 Def, 32 SpecDef, 8 Spe
-
Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Rest/Explosion ?
-Sleep Talk

Now a SleepTalker for status absorb and longevity. Kinda want Explosion but I don't think I can put it over anything.

Charizard@Salac Berry
Blaze
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 6 SpecDef
-Substitute
-Belly Drum
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide/HP Flying

Here he is. I have used Charizard in every gen and will continue to do so. Unsure on Rock Slide versus HP--I tend to like RS more due to the thought of Salamence, Aerodactyl, and Zapdos. He is truely amazing, and has brought me back more than once from sure defeat. This isn't Sparta, THIS...IS...BELLYZARD!

I haven't battled ADV competitively at all, but I am willing to give it a shot. I have a lot of experience in D/P, but I kinda skipped this generation. I feel that experience in the old generations will help me a lot in the new one, so I'm going to tread some water here as well as in GSC and RBY. Feel free to rip this apart and help fix it--the only thing that has to stay is Charizard in some form--and I kind of like the idea of a memento set-up for it.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
A pretty cool idea that I could see working =] All your supporting characters, such as Gardevoir and Weezing could be played more defensively if you want it to take more hits until the opportune time to Memento. Ludicolo would want Leftovers, and I'd have Magneton have Rest Talk or atleast Sleep Talk to absorb sleep. One thing that could screw this strategy with no fault on your skill is if they sub and / or start setting up. CM Raikou for example. Your Ludicolo may survive a hit to put up a Rain Dance and take down its sub, but none of your other pokemon could follow Ludi's act up and finish Raikou. Weezing, which needs a lot more Defense than what you're giving it, could probably break subs and Haze set ups of physical sweepers. Special CMing Sweepers, in the other hand could be troublesome. I'd remove Linoone with something to deal with such a situation. Steelix, for example, could phaze CMers (Suicune is no problem when you have Ludicolo, Magneton and Gardevoir) out and Explode something that is undermining the team's plot. It also deals with Ttar rather effectively. Those Steel resist really helps.

I'd give Weezing Haze and Will-O-Wisp, and give it atleast 159 Speed to outspeed Boah and viltar, who could sub up and annihilate the rest of the team, burning / Memento before they put the sub up.

Very good ideas. From what people have said in other RMT's, Raikou is a force to be reckoned with, so I will definitely have to change something to counter it. I agree with the idea of switching Linoone for something else--it's kinda dead weight. I also agree with the sleep talking Magneton idea, I wasn't sure which poke to be anti-sleep.

Also, the lack of defense on my supporters is a problem--I will fiddle with the ev's for that.

In addition, do I need Spin support or a Blissey killer? Steelix could probably do both admirably, but seeing as how spikes aren't really an issue with most of my pokes, perhaps not.

Anyway, Steelix will most likely replace Linoone, and I will put more defense on my supporters. I think I will keep two memento users even though I will have one Bellydrummer--insurance is always a good thing.

Still very open to suggestions/comments. Thanks Pocket!

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
It's been done before, but kudos regardless. You don't need Salac at all on Linoone, tbh. HP Fighting doesn't even KO Aerodactyl, so there wouldn't really even be a need for Salac. Go with Shell Bell or Lum. Also be wary of any TTar with Substitute in its moveset.

Linoone is definitely on its way out. Steelix is going to replace it. Update is on the way.

Here I thought I had an innovative strategy lol. Smogoneers are certainly top notch. Anyway, Synch, even though it has been done before, do you think it will work the way I set it up?

EDIT: With the update, I feel that the physical side is lacking, despite the presence of Bellyzard. Steelix and Weezing will fail to hit hard enough before Bellyzard rampages I think. While I think they should definitely stay, More Attack evs might be necessary. Any thoughts?

Umby

is a Contributor Alumnus
Linoone is definitely on its way out. Steelix is going to replace it. Update is on the way.

Here I thought I had an innovative strategy lol. Smogoneers are certainly top notch. Anyway, Synch, even though it has been done before, do you think it will work the way I set it up?

EDIT: With the update, I feel that the physical side is lacking, despite the presence of Bellyzard. Steelix and Weezing will fail to hit hard enough before Bellyzard rampages I think. While I think they should definitely stay, More Attack evs might be necessary. Any thoughts?
Personally I have my doubts, as you have no real way of luring out Swampert/Milotic/Suicune (save Steelix, but then again, you might just attract a smart Skarmory that scouts for Magneton) and then surprising them so that Charizard can actually set up. No Spikes makes things a bit less easy as well. If it weren't for Sand Stream screwing with Charizard's health, I'd say use a mixed version of Tyranitar (Including HP Grass). A Mixed Metagross of some sort might work, but you have to find some way of making sure bulky waters are hit hard before Charizard tries to set up.

Hmmm, I suppose your right. Perhaps I could ditch sub and put Double-edge on 'Zard to kill those bulky waters if I can't kill them before drum. The only issue then is Suicune, and faster stuff that I have hopefully taken care of before hand. But for Suicune, like Pocket said, I have him pretty well covered with Ludicolo, Gardevoir, and Magneton to some extent.

If I put in the mixed metagross like you suggested, would I replace Steelix for it?

Umby

is a Contributor Alumnus
Doing so might call for Magneton to be RestTalk, as electrics can eat at you.

Magneton is already a Resttalker lol. I'm worried about the loss of phazing if I replace steelix with metagross--the point of steelix was to deal with sub pokes like Raikou and the Boah/viltar versions of T-tar. Calm Mind users are always bad news as well. Thinking about it now, if worst comes to worst, Steelix can explode on their Bulky water. Metagross can as well of course, and he solves my recent complaints about a strong physical presence other than Charizard. Thoughts?

EDIT: After running some calculations, I'm worried about the lack of Fire Blast on Charizard--he is walled by more physical wall (ironic, huh?) than I thought. Weezing, Forretress, Skarmory, and Claydol just to name a few. While the team is meant to counter those without Charizard, I am still uneasy.

Umby

is a Contributor Alumnus
Unless you want to trade Steelix/Metagross for Swampert, you can handle Tyranitar with metagross by using Reflect/Light Screen for its respective versions (though it handles VILtar just fine without either one). So you could run something like Meteor Mash/Reflect/Psychic/HP Fire or MM/Reflect/Thunderpunch/HP Grass and etc. As far as Raikou is concerned, without changing too much, you can probably use Salac on Gardevoir with Destiny Bond.

Ehhh, I really want Metagross for the power, but think how much I will lose by giving up Steelix--Phazing, Electric immunity, and, as you stated before, luring those annoying bulky waters. Toxic wears them down, or I can explode Steelix, killing enemy #1 to my team and still having Weezing for my physical walling needs. If I replace with Metagross and give Gardevoir Destiny Bond, that of course means removing Memento, which I am shaky on. If I must, I will do it, but then Weezing is the only one who can use the strategy to reliably set up the center of the team.

If this is what must be done to win, just say so--you guys are the ADV experts, not me :toast:

Umby

is a Contributor Alumnus
We merely provided advice and mortar to your team building decisions, you still have the final say in the end. But permit me an abstract suggestion, that you focus entirely on sweeping instead of a defensive end. When you aim for a novel sweeping team, and try to cover all your weaknesses, what happens sometimes is you end up with an iffy offense and an iffy defense. You should probably form your team so that you can sacrifice comfortably (not including the Memento users) and force your opponent into a position where their counters can't handle the damage that piles up (A non CB Metagross can still fall to Snorlax and Earthquake Tyranitar on the same team, even though it might be stated that Metagross destroys the team).

Aside from taking in our suggestions, it's important to experiment with them as well. That said, test out Endeavor Sceptile + Bolt/Beam/Surf Starmie over Ludicolo + Magneton/Steelix and see how it fits.

New update to the team--I will now begin trial tests on Netbattle. If there are any big gaps in the team, or if there are any other suggestions, please help me out by posting them. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Thus far, the team has been doing so-so. Bellyzard rules teams, and I am now convinced that memento is the best bellydrum set-up ever. Still having trouble in areas I haven't been able to pinpoint, probably poor playing on my part. Still, suggestions are welcome

I'd replace sceptile with celebi and starmie with pert, those 2 combined provides a good kou coverage, and you can make celebi a sub passer so zard can stress less.

Tar rapes your team, adding pert is going to help out, alot.

Yeah, T-tar has been a bit tough to deal with thus far. Sceptile has been working great though--I'll still test Celebi out and probably replace Starmie with good ol' Pert. Thanks for the info.

New Update! Version 3 of team Sacrificial Strength. Big changes with Swampert and Exeggutor. Please read the new commentary and tell me what you think :toast:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)