SM UU RMT [UU] Balanced Nostalgia Team

Hey there,

lately i've watched some old ORAS battles (cartridge) and realized that a lot of my favorite mons are now in UU. Although this tier being quite new for me (and this is my first post here), i thought i'll give it a shot.
I kinda knew which mons i wanted to use, so i went with an old team that included those and tried to adapt it to USUM UU.
And since this seemed like a well balanced one, I thought I'd share it.

This was the basic idea. At first i wanted to use Raikou, but since none of my other team members could use a mega stone and i wanted to have a mega, i changed it for Manectric. I love those fast electric attackers and Manectric has been a staple in my RSS and ORAS story teams, adding the nostalgia factor (sigh).
I wanted to use CB Scizor too, again, one of my favorites and in conjunction with Manectric a prime user of VoltTurn.
Since I spent so long breeding a Serperior with perfect IV's and HP fire I sought for a opportunity to make use of it.
So those three were my starting point. They all are packing quite the punch but are a little frail, so i needed to include some backbone and utility.

Since i wanted to rotate a lot with VoltTurn to create momentum, i needed to get rid of hazards. I considered Latias and Gliscor as defoggers, but ultimately i stuck with Crobat because the others just do other things better (wish and SR)

For the last two slots i initially had Gliscor (SR) and Latias (3 Attack + Wish), but then my team suffered from a heavy ice weakness. I still wanted a fire/water/electric resist and a SR setter. So Swampert came in mind. No ice weakness, the 4x grass weakness is covered plenty by Crobat and Scizor and Swampert takes less damage from SR. Still, his recovery is quite bad. But he paires well with Crobat.

And finally, for the last Slot, I switched out Latias for Azumarill. Partly because most of Latias move types (Draco Meteor, Thunderbolt, HP fire) are already covered by other team members, and partly because I felt like I needed to leverage my momentum gained by VoltTurn uses a bit more.

The Team

(Manectric-Mega) @ Manectite
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Moves: Thunderbolt | Volt Switch | Flamethrower | Hidden Power [Ice]

Just standard spread and moves, nothing fancy. He is used to threaten the water types, create momentum and chip away at the health of the enemy team.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Moves: Bullet Punch | U-turn | Superpower | Pursuit

Again, nothing fancy. Together with Manectric he pivots, can clean up hurt scarf users und threaten Latias with Pursuit. I am considering replacing Pursuit with Knock Off, because once you are locked in it is quite weak, and KO is just a really good move.

Serperior @ Wide Lens
Ability: Contrary
Moves: Leaf Storm | Hidden Power Fire | Dragon Pulse | Giga Drain

Now this one is a bit out of the ordinary. First of all, Serperior is a scary sweeper that can run away with the game if left unchecked.
The item seems a bit odd, and i thought about switching it out to Life Orb, but having a 99% acc 130 base power stab move ist really nice. Because otherwise, if LS misses, Serperior is usually dead or at least the momentum gone.
I already got a Z move on Azumarill, so i decided to swap the suggested Hyper Beam for Dragon Pulse. It threatens Dragon types, which otherwise wall Serperior pretty hard. HP fire for coverage and Steel types (Scizor). Giga Drain to heal, though it could be swapped for Glare.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Atk / 224 Spe
Moves: Brave Bird | U-turn | Roost | Defog

Since I VoltTurn a lot, I need to have hazard removal. Crobat can also threaten the fighting types Azumarill is too slow for.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Moves: Stealth Rock | Earthquake | Scald | Roar

My SR setter. Besides that, he can absorb the electric moves and threaten fire/ground/rock types. He isn't as long-lasting as Gliscor and has no recovery besides Leftovers, but has no weakness to ice, which I have two already. And I think he has good synergy with Scizor and Crobat defense and offense wise.
In the last slot I am torn between Roar and Toxic. Roar is nice against Set Up Sweepers and you get more SR value, but Toxic cripples defense mons.

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 92 SpD / 164 Spe
Moves: Belly Drum | Aqua Jet | Play Rough | Knock Off

My second win condition. Also, Azumarill offers a little more speed control with Aqua Jet since i dont have a scarf user. It benefits from the momentum gained by VoltTurn and makes Dragons think twice about firing of a Draco Meteor or an Outrage.
The 92 SpD is to have a better match up against Latias and also because my team has good physical defense already.

Conclusion

While I am quite confident in bringing this team to battle, there are still some things I am unsure of.
1 - The last slot moves (Pursuit/KO)(Giga Drain/Glare)(Roar/Toxic). I have tried both and I find myself in different situations wanting the other one and vice versa. Maybe you can help me find the one that suits the team best.
2 – While I am quite happy with Swampert instead of Gliscor, sometimes I wish to have my Latias back, since it offers more damage and more speed immediately. This is the set I used to run:
Latias @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Healing Wish
- Thunderbolt

Aside from that, I think this Team has good Synergy between each member and is fun to play. I like the double threat of Serperior and Azumarill to set up and sweep. The VoltTurn seems to work well in defense and offense.
Now I hope my first post matches the standards in the forum and if it will, I am eager to hear your opinion about my team.

Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power Ice

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Serperior @ Wide Lens
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Fire
- Dragon Pulse
- Giga Drain

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Swampert @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Roar

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Hey there,

lately i've watched some old ORAS battles (cartridge) and realized that a lot of my favorite mons are now in UU. Although this tier being quite new for me (and this is my first post here), i thought i'll give it a shot.
I kinda knew which mons i wanted to use, so i went with an old team that included those and tried to adapt it to USUM UU.
And since this seemed like a well balanced one, I thought I'd share it.

This was the basic idea. At first i wanted to use Raikou, but since none of my other team members could use a mega stone and i wanted to have a mega, i changed it for Manectric. I love those fast electric attackers and Manectric has been a staple in my RSS and ORAS story teams, adding the nostalgia factor (sigh).
I wanted to use CB Scizor too, again, one of my favorites and in conjunction with Manectric a prime user of VoltTurn.
Since I spent so long breeding a Serperior with perfect IV's and HP fire I sought for a opportunity to make use of it.
So those three were my starting point. They all are packing quite the punch but are a little frail, so i needed to include some backbone and utility.

Since i wanted to rotate a lot with VoltTurn to create momentum, i needed to get rid of hazards. I considered Latias and Gliscor as defoggers, but ultimately i stuck with Crobat because the others just do other things better (wish and SR)

For the last two slots i initially had Gliscor (SR) and Latias (3 Attack + Wish), but then my team suffered from a heavy ice weakness. I still wanted a fire/water/electric resist and a SR setter. So Swampert came in mind. No ice weakness, the 4x grass weakness is covered plenty by Crobat and Scizor and Swampert takes less damage from SR. Still, his recovery is quite bad. But he paires well with Crobat.

And finally, for the last Slot, I switched out Latias for Azumarill. Partly because most of Latias move types (Draco Meteor, Thunderbolt, HP fire) are already covered by other team members, and partly because I felt like I needed to leverage my momentum gained by VoltTurn uses a bit more.

The Team

Moves: Thunderbolt | Volt Switch | Flamethrower | Hidden Power [Ice]

Just standard spread and moves, nothing fancy. He is used to threaten the water types, create momentum and chip away at the health of the enemy team.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Moves: Bullet Punch | U-turn | Superpower | Pursuit

Again, nothing fancy. Together with Manectric he pivots, can clean up hurt scarf users und threaten Latias with Pursuit. I am considering replacing Pursuit with Knock Off, because once you are locked in it is quite weak, and KO is just a really good move.

Serperior @ Wide Lens
Moves: Leaf Storm | Hidden Power Fire | Dragon Pulse | Giga Drain

Now this one is a bit out of the ordinary. First of all, Serperior is a scary sweeper that can run away with the game if left unchecked.
The item seems a bit odd, and i thought about switching it out to Life Orb, but having a 99% acc 130 base power stab move ist really nice. Because otherwise, if LS misses, Serperior is usually dead or at least the momentum gone.
I already got a Z move on Azumarill, so i decided to swap the suggested Hyper Beam for Dragon Pulse. It threatens Dragon types, which otherwise wall Serperior pretty hard. HP fire for coverage and Steel types (Scizor). Giga Drain to heal, though it could be swapped for Glare.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Nature: Jolly
Moves: Brave Bird | U-turn | Roost | Defog

Since I VoltTurn a lot, I need to have hazard removal. Crobat can also threaten the fighting types Azumarill is too slow for.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Nature: Relaxed
Moves: Stealth Rock | Earthquake | Scald | Roar

My SR setter. Besides that, he can absorb the electric moves and threaten fire/ground/rock types. He isn't as long-lasting as Gliscor and has no recovery besides Leftovers, but has no weakness to ice, which I have two already. And I think he has good synergy with Scizor and Crobat defense and offense wise.
In the last slot I am torn between Roar and Toxic. Roar is nice against Set Up Sweepers and you get more SR value, but Toxic cripples defense mons.

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Moves: Belly Drum | Aqua Jet | Play Rough | Knock Off

My second win condition. Also, Azumarill offers a little more speed control with Aqua Jet since i dont have a scarf user. It benefits from the momentum gained by VoltTurn and makes Dragons think twice about firing of a Draco Meteor or an Outrage.
The 92 SpD is to have a better match up against Latias and also because my team has good physical defense already.

Conclusion

While I am quite confident in bringing this team to battle, there are still some things I am unsure of.
1 - The last slot moves (Pursuit/KO)(Giga Drain/Glare)(Roar/Toxic). I have tried both and I find myself in different situations wanting the other one and vice versa. Maybe you can help me find the one that suits the team best.
2 – While I am quite happy with Swampert instead of Gliscor, sometimes I wish to have my Latias back, since it offers more damage and more speed immediately. This is the set I used to run:
Latias @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Healing Wish
- Thunderbolt

Aside from that, I think this Team has good Synergy between each member and is fun to play. I like the double threat of Serperior and Azumarill to set up and sweep. The VoltTurn seems to work well in defense and offense.
Now I hope my first post matches the standards in the forum and if it will, I am eager to hear your opinion about my team.

Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power Ice

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Serperior @ Wide Lens
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Fire
- Dragon Pulse
- Giga Drain

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Swampert @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Roar

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
G'day mate, nice attempt at a HO team in UU, especially if you're fairly new to the tier, you've covered a lot of the meta and the team is looking sharp. I somewhat consider myself a decent HO player and thought it would good of me to drop a rate, and hopefully improve your team; without forcing too many changes. Hopefully you like my advice and we're able to improve this team together!

So first of all, I like to address threats to your team that you may not have listed yourself, this helps me justify my changes as well as helps out other users who may want to try this team and run it on the UU ladder.
- Opposing M-Manectric with HP Grass
- Flying Spam, ie. Moltres & Pidgeot-M, even Crobat is annoying to switch into (U-turn on M-Mane, no switch in to Z Brave Bird)
- CM Latias

Yes, I'm sure I could point out many other threats to this build but it's late right now, and if you really want I can add more at a later date! My main point being: this is HO you can play around threats to your team, I just wanted to list the big ones!

So first up, we'll be looking at cleaning up your sets.

We can afford to make Scizor a bit more bulkier than standard max / max, in this case I like running 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe over you current spread, this means you can tank resisted hits like Scarf Draco's from Latias/Hydreigon better whilst still outpacing max Speed neutral Azumarill.

Next up, I think we could clean up your Belly Drum Azu set, atm you're running some janky set with spD invest, meaning you're slower in a 1v1 match up versus opposing Azumarill that decide to run max Speed. I also think that Z Belly Drum is a waste of Z Crystal, for instance you're not always going to Belly Drum, and you're also not utilising the Z Crystal to KO something, it's only assisting your set up, which seems cool but is a wasted opportunity, imo, especially on HO. So after that long, drawn-out explanation I think Sitrus Berry over Normalium Z on Azumarill would be better utilised here, I'd also like to give you the idea of running Ice Punch over Knock Off to lure Amoonguss, which can stop your sweep cold. Ice Punch also lets you threaten Gliscor / Dragon type cores mid game. This change is entirely your choice.

So now we've looked at changing your Z move, I think we could look at which 'mon gets it. I think Flyinium Z on Crobat would be a decent choice, it makes it a breaker of sorts especially if you run an updated EV spread of 232 Atk / 24 Def / 252 Spe, this spread lets you take on threats such as M-Beedrill better as well as allowing you to beat stuff like Muk-A 1v1 via Roost. I enjoy Z Brave Bird on Crobat since you can smash bulky grounds such as Gliscor / Swampert / Hippowdon weakening them for later. This brings me on to my last suggestion, and that is Taunt over U-turn on Crobat, you do lose a momentum grabbing move, but you gain a stall breaker, as well as a way to stop rocks before they're set, the Taunt change is up to you!

Okay now we're onto Swampert, nothing huge this time. I'd only like to suggest a small move slot change and a slightly altered EV spread. So with an updated EV spread of 240 HP / 216 Def / 20 Spa / 32 SpD | Relaxed on Swampert, you'd be able to 2hko all standard Gliscor that aren't invested in SpD, running the rest in SpD would help you better tank some neutral SpA moves (again, it's late, sorry I can't think of anything that immediately comes to mind). Lastly I think Counter over Roar would work really nicely here, this would help you abuse opposing match ups versus volturn builds - by clicking Counter versus something like a Band Scizor.

So we've been through the minor changes, time for the big one, and I've been holding off on this, since I know you won't be too happy to swap out your Serperior. I really think Focus Sash Breloom over Serperior would suit this team a whole lot better. In fact, Focus Sash Breloom would be a perfect fit, it gives you a second win condition outside of Azumarill, you gain a decent lure to half of bird spam through Sash + Rock Tomb, as well as a decent way to chip Latias - which isn't too bad considering Choice Scarf Latias is Pursuit Trapped by Scizor. I also like that Breloom adds to this team through extra priority which is nice for HO. Azumarill and Breloom work well together as they both have similar checks, one example that I can think of was the Ice Punch on Azumarill luring and KOing Amoonguss.

I managed to make quite the post out of this, but I hope I've adequately explain these changes, and I hope you seriously consider taking them on board. Good luck out there!

Summary of Changes:
Bulky Band Scizor > Current Scizor
Sitrus Berry Azumarill > Current Azumarill
Z Brave Bird + Taunt Crobat > Current Crobat
Counter w/ new EV's Swampert > Current Swampert
Breloom > Serperior
Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Breloom @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb / Spore
- Swords Dance

Crobat @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 232 Atk / 24 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt / U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Swampert @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 20 SpA / 32 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Counter / Roar

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Ice Punch
Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Even though the esteemed user sparrow rated the team, I will try to give my own thoughts about it.

• I noticed the pretty bad matchup against Moltres and I thought that making Serperior Z-Hyper Beam would help the team a ton. With that, Moltres is no longer a Serperior switch-in, and Serperior can lure and KO Moltres with Leaf Storm into Z-Hyper Beam, clearing ways for Scizor to further pressure the opponent's team. I also slapped Defog on it because it immediately threatens Swampert out, and in my opinion is one of the best Defog users in the current metagame.
  • Now that you already have a Z-user, I would change Azumarill's item to Sitrus Berry. Furthermore, Sitrus Berry is arguably a superior item choice because it potentially makes Azumarill end up with a higher amount of HP after using Belly Drum, which makes it harder to be revenge killed, most notably harder to be revenge killed by Scizor. I also altered its EV spread a bit so it is overall bulkier, and so the Sitrus Berry is consumed right after a Belly Drum.
  • At this point, I noticed how the team is really weak to HP Grass Mega Manectric and Ghost-types and doesn't use a Choice Scarf user. I changed Scarf Hydreigon > Crobat to help patch up those weaknesses.
  • I would change Scizor's EV spread to 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe because this makes you hit the max speed Adamant Azumarill benchmark and gives you a bit more bulk to switch into threats, such as Latias, and Pursuit trap them more efficiently.
Hope that the rate helped, feel free to leave any questions, if there are any.

Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Serperior @ Normalium Z
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Hyper Beam
- Defog

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Defog

Swampert @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Roar

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

I wanted to reply sooner, but finally here we go:

First of all, which changes did I make?
As suggested by sparrow:
Updated the sets for Scizor, Crobat.
Updated the EV-spreads for Azumarill and Swampert.
Exchanged Serperior for Breloom.

I now want to go over the team once more and share my thoughts:

Manectric: Does what he was intended to do.
Scizor: Same here, CB and U-Turn rocks. The better bulk is noticable.
Breloom: Now this thing rocks! Mach Punch ist often a match winner.
Crobat: Awesome change with the Flyinium Z, pays off. And Taunt has more uses than U-Turn.
Swampert: I am quite happy with Roar so I left it in. But Counter sure has its uses.
Azumarill: I feel like the set is now better than before, I am still running Knock Off though.

Overall, the new team definitely has improved and plays quite smooth. There are two things that I still have an eye on.
  1. SD vs Spore on Breloom. I always thought that a reason to run Breloom is spore, and sometimes I wish I had it, but overall I think on this Team SD fits better. Still not 100% sure.
  2. Azumarill. While I do enjoy playing it, sometimes it just doesn't impress me as I hoped it would. But it might also be that I'm just missing the correct timing to pull of a Belly Drum.
    Maybe instead I'll give scarf Latias a shot sometimes in the future.
But here is the current state:

Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb
- Swords Dance

Crobat @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 232 Atk / 24 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- Defog

Swampert @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 20 SpA / 32 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Roar

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Now here I have some examples of the team in practice:

This one is close to perfect in showing of how the team is intended to work:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-734377452

And this one is just showcasing how Breloom can wreck :D
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-734381004

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)