All Gens RoAPL 3: Week 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lutra

Spreadsheeter by day, Random Ladderer by night.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL 3 Team Interview of the Week #1/#2: Pacifidlog Typhloons

Lutra: Hi, we got Pacifidlog Typhloons management here, Typhlito (Manager) and z0mOG (Assistant Manager). Now, for everyone that doesn't know, Typhlito is manager of the defending RoAPL champions, while z0mOG is new to RoAPL management. So how did you both form a partnership for RoAPL? Assistant Managers are a new edition to this latest RoAPL.

z0mOG: Well, we actually didn't plan on working together. I messaged Lutra asking if I could have my own team with ADVANTAGE, but we were declined. Then I got a PM from Typh asking if I wanted to co manage with him, because he had no assman and I was instantly on board.

Lutra: Had you worked together before?

z0mOG: No, I actually hadn't heard of Typh pre-roapl. But I'm glad he asked me to be his partner.

Typhlito: Well its just like z0mog says. We didnt plan to become partners when it was first announced that there was going to be assistant managers. It was my first time trying to find someone so I didn't really know who to pick. My first choice was to pick someone who was in the team last year that wasn't going to play this season but that didn't work out. I think I noticed that z0mog was available and after talking for a bit we hit it off.

Lutra: How did the auction go for you?

z0mOG: Our draft plan vs. our results were very very close. In ORAS, BW, DPP we got exactly what we wanted, and our most wanted ADV starter as well. Our GSC/RBY were a surprise to us and we ended up with, again, about 3-4 GSC mains, none of which we really planned for besides Contacting as a sub. The 2 rby'ers we wanted went for too high (overpay definitely) and we got Texas/Tim for significantly cheaper, borderline underpayed. Typhlito is very good at making draft plans so much of our success comes to his foresight.

Typhlito: I thought the auction was quite a wild ride. The time chosen to best accommodate everyone ended up being an inconvenient time since it was on a saturday morning (then again I cant complain since z0mog had it worse!). Me and z0mog worked very well to pick who we wanted on our team. I was originally going to try to keep the original squad from last year but we decided to make some changes which worked for the best. As for the actual auction, it was kind of nerve wracking to say the least! While it wasnt nearly as crazy as last years 40k+ purchase of BKC, everyone for the first couple rounds were overpriced. Other teams kept outbidding us for players we wanted so we had to make some changes. Luckily, that trend did not last too long as everyone burned through their funds and we were able to put together an excellent team we could easily be proud of.

Lutra: Okay great. But you didn't get off to a great start results wise in Week 1, narrowly losing by the end of it. But fortunately you bounced back Week 2. Did it come as a surprise to you the defeat, Typhlito, after winning every week in RoAPL 2 (2015)? Or were the Dewford Dogs this year a very strong looking team?

z0mOG: In my opinion, Dewford Dogs are the second best team right after us. Our GSC'ers and Mindnight in DPP really couldn't do anything with how unlucky their games went. I'm confident that if/when we meet them in the playoffs, we'll beat them handily.

Typhlito: To be honest, it was somewhat of a surprise we went undefeated last year so it doesn't surprise me that it didn't happen this year, especially after seeing the higher level of competition this time around. That being said, while the Dogs was a strong opponent, I couldn't help but feel that our win was snatched away because of hax. Then again, this is Pokémon so we'll just have to make sure we hang in there until the end.

Lutra: Regardless of results, what tiers do you feel are working strongest for you at the moment?

z0mOG: Our ADV core and BW core I feel are the strongest (3-1 and 4-4 respectively). Both ADVers and typhlito apply a lot of support for each other (although we needed to sub out obii this week). Shoka and Luck>Skill are also both great players and builders in their own rights, although more independent. The fact that we got both of them for as cheap as we did is criminal. That being said, I also believe our GSC is very stacked, having 3-4 GSC mains who all work together.

Typhlito: I really enjoy our line up this year. We have many strong motivated players just waiting to take home the trophy. It's a bit hard to say since its early in the season but if I have to pick, I'll have to say our strongest cores are BW, who are currently 4-0, and ADV which have had a very strong showing. Like I said though, everyone is quite motivated and you could see the teamwork in between games when it comes to teambuilding and strategizing. (As well as having fun conversations!)

Lutra: Okay, so Typhlito, you've recently gone past the 50th mark in the What If series posted in the RoA forum, have you still got plenty of ideas left to make it to 100 for instance? What If is a series of posts that start theorymon discussions around mechanics and moves being hypothetically introduced into an earlier generation.

Typhlito: I'd like to think so! I didn't really expect it to last this long but after seeing all the support for it when it comes to all the great posts and future topic requests, I couldn't stop it. This was a great thread to try to answer those questions everyone had in their head about how certain scenarios like Abomasnow in ADV or sleep talk in RBY would change the metagame. There were certain times where I stopped making new topics for a couple weeks to compile new ideas but with the help of the fans of this thread, I am sure we could reach such a feat.

Lutra: That's cool. z0mog, you've played in quite a few or maybe even a lot of team tours, can you tell us about your successful experiences and not so successful ones.

zomOG: Well, personal performance-wise, I'm a little lacking in wins. I think the most fun experience I had was definitely 2016 WCOP, it was my first real feel for a team tour and I was able to make friends with about 90% of my teammates. I'm even in a bit of a co-managing role for our upcoming team. SPL wasn't a great experience, I was drafted to a very unmotivated team with a lot of reserved players, but I did meet a lot of great people that I'm glad to have met, like 6A9 Ace Matador, Eo, and GOAO. As far as the other smaller team tours I've been in, which is this one, Hispanic Premiere league, and a couple pokemon-online ones, this is definitely my favorite so far. Everyone is a pleasure to work with.

Lutra: Awesome. Rewinding back quite a bit, tell us how you both got into Pokémon in the first place.

zomOG: I used to watch pokemon LPers, like Haydunn and Shofu (Haydunn was my favorite), and I remember a video of his from 2012 where he showcased Pokemon Showdown. I decided to start playing on it for myself as a tournaments room noob/frost gym leader for the majority of 2013. Come 2014, I made friends with a lot of people from a 4chan board, actually, who helped me get into competitive Pokémon. I first made a name for myself in OST in 2015, where I got to top 16 and took down Stathakis, who was a very esteemed player at that time, before getting Style'd. I really enjoyed the tournament experience so I tried to keep involving myself in tourney happenings.

Typhlito: Hah I guess you could say Pokémon was one of those games I gravitated to since I was a kid. I remember seeing my friends play RBY when I was in like 1st grade and I always wanted to play it too. It wasn't until GSC when I got my first game and I was hooked ever since. Fast forward to 2010 and I was introduced to the different Pokémon forums on the internet. I ended up joining this small forum called rayquaza forum where I learned how to play - although it wasn't until I joined Smogon a couple years later when I really learned how to play competitively. I eventually got tutored in ADV by Funkasaurus and took what I learned to play in the crystal geodude tour where our team made it into the playoffs. I guess I was noticed after that and was offered to join in the WCOP on Team East as their back up ADV player. We ended up losing to Brazil in the finals but I held a good record for a green player. I also assisted Team Bigs for a year or 2 which was great. Unfortunately life started getting busy over the last year but I'm shaking off the rust to make my comeback!

Lutra: Final question. How do you feel about the recent success of new players, for instance in OST, in older generations? Do you think they'll always be new players to keep the interest in old generations alive and perhaps delay veteran players' retirements?

zomOG: Well, right now, I think a lot of people are under the general consensus that SM is a bad meta (a lot of general OU mains are only playing oras because of how bad this meta feels). Older metas can be easier to learn due to the lack of change and I think many newcomers tend to gravitate towards something that they can be good at. So I do think the newer players in oldgens playerbase will stay increasing.

Typhlito: I love it whenever I see new players thriving in old gens. I agree that old gens have metas that tend to not change so they are "easier" to learn. I put that in parentheses because certain areas like the occasional dead ladder is a turn off for players who are interested in giving these gens a try. So it takes a bit of patience to be able to really enjoy these gens. However, I think that old gens is steadily becoming more accessible to newer players with the roa room on showdown being more active than ever as well as the community doing a better job at recording and retaining data that was collected during the gen's time. I do have to disagree with what people say when they call a gen bad though (to an extent). I believe people do this due to new gens being... new. I remember when everyone was calling BW a bad tier but you don't hear that much anymore. Once enough time has passed for ORAS, the same thing would probably happen.

Lutra: Brilliant. Thank you guys for answering my questions. It was great to read your responses. Neutral luck to Typhoons for the rest of RoAPL.

Typhlito: Thanks for hosting such a great tour n_n

Last edited:

HANTSUKI

satan saves xmas
is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RUPL Champion
huh, Teddeh told me he had his thursday night free and friday until his 8pm so I asked to play on thursday/7~8pm on friday but he ended up not showing up (well, he didn't really confirmed but I thought it was okay since he said he would be free) because he had to work. Then he left me a VM on Saturday but I ended up not seeing because I got too many messages that day and prolly didn't notice his message, sorry Oo and he also asked to play today but I was busy with other matches scheduled/other stuff to do irl so I couldn't do it today

I don't know how it will end, so just posting here what happened.

trace

tell me
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
update on our uncompleted games

zorodark vs badabing - badabing asked for thusday / friday and zoro asked on thursday if he was online to no response, nothing happened after this so either a dead game or win for zoro would be warranted
hantsuki vs teddeh - suki basically outlined what happened, teddehs been really busy at work and couldnt really play during the week and hantsuki never responded on the weekend so the game never happened, a dead game seems warranted
level 56 vs lighthouses - level showed up for the scheduled time and lighthouses never showed, clear activity win for level
tony vs darkdevil - there are a few layers to this story, meru contacted the original opp sergi early on and asked to play before thursday, even tagging managers / him in a post early on asking for a sub. the sub came in after meru said he couldnt play so we subbed in tony who contacted as soon as he was kept in and scheduled a time for today. he was online and ready to play, but darkdevil never showed up and didnt post on smogon till right as soon he logged off. this should be an activity win for us imo as tony was kept in last minute, idled on smogtours, and was online all day today while darkdevil only posted on smogon once and logged off right after that.

Lutra

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Need a lineup from TraceofLife, MetalGro$$ / Tony etc. for Eterna Eevees.

Confirming Eterna Eeevees will win the week vs The Navy Spheals, although I haven't quite finalized the decisions yet.

Lutra

Banner by TrainerSplash | Auction assisted by OrdA | Official RoAPL Discord Server | Spreadsheet

Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | Semifinals | Finals

I discussed with Jellicent and we came to these conclusions together.

Adjudged Win

ZoroDark (W-0) badabing

badabing didn't respond on Thursday and backed out of playing extension from last week after no contact.

Dead Games

Teddeh (D-D) HANTSUKI
Tony (D-D) Darkdevil
Level 56 (D-D) lighthouses
BKC (D-D) idiotfrommars
New Breed (D-D) CZ.

We felt the players were active enough, but had scheduling difficulties where they couldn't commit enough time or be on at the right time in order to get the battle played.

Team Standings

1st | __Dewford Dogs__ | 2 points | 14-9
1st | ___Koniko Klan__ | 2 points | 14-10
3rd| Pacifidlog Typhloons | 1 point | 13-11
3rd | _Pyrite Town Pichus | 1 point | 13-11
5th | __Eterna Eevees__ | 1 point | 10-11
6th | _Viridian Vaporeon | ½ points | 10-14
8th | _The Navy Spheals | ½ points | 9-12
7th | Snowpoint Sneasels | 0 points | 9-14

⏫Click here to view match results and replays⏫

Last edited:

Lutra

Regarding BKC vs idiotfrommars (Koniko Klan: osgoode, Tokyo Tom vs Pyrite Town Pichus: Genesis7, Ary )

After receiving an additional log and revisiting the decision with Jellicent, we still think it's not enough to give a win to Idiotfrommars and a loss to BKC individually. However, we will do the following because of the fact Koniko Klan did give in to Pyrite Town Pichus prematurely and the issue does need to be dealt with to be fair:

+1 Individual win to Pyrite Town Pichus
+1 Individual loss to Koniko Klan

Above post is updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)