Rolling down a hill at 30 mph

I love riding my bike. It's one hell of a way to just let my energy fly in the small town I live in. By my nature I'm excitable and just letting the brakes go while I accelerate down this one steep hill in my neighborhood makes me light up. Now there is one downside to cycling being my only source of exercise, rain/cold. Right now my region isn't as bad on the cold end of the spectrum as it was in past weeks, but sadly rain is coming soon and it comes pretty regularly. This bugs the hell out of me since I'd like to remain consistent in my routine but can't with rain coming and going like it does.

My question is twofold. First, for the sake of my developing Adonis, what indoor exercises do you find to be effective? Google is just not good for these kinds of things. No push ups, crunches, or equipment builds please. Simple or expensive things like that just aren't productive answers. Second, for the sake of this being a good conversational thread, what general things do you do to keep yourself in shape indoor or out, if you exercise at all? Feel free to brag about your god-like metabolism.

Rowing machine is great. But you need to know how to use it, and you probably won't have one at home.

Or just cycle in the rain anyway. You might want to avoid that steep hill, but besides that it shouldn't be a problem. Unless it's really hammering down or you're doing a mega-long ride, you'll be exercising yourself hard enough to not feel the cold. I've cycled and rowed in some pretty horrible weather. I suppose if you wear glasses visibility will be a pain.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
My metabolism is so so godly.

Actually, my latest "work out" routine has been playing the JUST DANCE WII GAME. People laugh when I say this at first, but it's basically DDR except actual dance moves, not just 4 different steps in multiple combinations. It's great cardio work out, and it basically works out your entire body if you play it long enough. Some dances are more intense than others, and more difficult. If you have a Wii, this would be a great buy!

Otherwise, I don't know. If you run in the rain long enough, you're just going to end up sick from your immune system being constantly depressed by the cold.

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
Cycle in the rain. It's one of the best things to do. Be careful on the hill though.

Also you're aware you're only developing thighs with this, right?

My excercise consists mainly of fidgeting and walking (although I walk quite briskly) about 2 hours per day or less during the uni semester, walking to and from classes and train stations.

My metabolism is awesome.

Also you're aware you're only developing thighs with this, right?
You know that's been a concern as well.

But I did just noticed that there's a whole entire thread in the sports section dedicated to this sort of thing. So I think it'll be smart to just go ask there.

Thanks dudes...and fishy.

I've always just worked out at home with a pair of light dumbbells, and do a lot of reps. But mostly,
Play basketball 2 hours a day + walk around everywhere + crazy metabolism = never fat.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Recently I've taken to doing situps and push ups just in my living room. My metabolism has been like the metabolism of most teenage boys, but I figure I should get in the habit because I don't think my metabolism is likely to stay like this forever. Besides that I long board in the summer, and snowboard in the winter, although this snowboarding season has been so warm that I acctually went longboarding last thursday.

My metabolism must be crazy good, considering I hardly do anything active and still remain thin..

I mean like, I don't even know how to ride a bike, so thats out of the question. The most active things I do are walk, or play some of the more active wii games. ~_~

My metabolism must be crazy good, considering I hardly do anything active and still remain thin..

I mean like, I don't even know how to ride a bike, so thats out of the question. The most active things I do are walk, or play some of the more active wii games. ~_~
I can't ride a bicycle either, but I don't even play Wii games.

For me, Riding a bike is more of a "before and after" routine. Before and after I work out that is. It really is good for your heart, and losing weight. Though I wouldn't do it as a sole exercise. If it encourages anyone, I lost 15 pounds riding a bike.

And for your other question, riding in the rain isn't bad. Unless you are clumsy of course. Be careful if you do.

I don't ride bikes because I'm super klutzy haha. I run to keep in shape. We have a lot of nice trails in our town and I'm going to be on the distance team for track when it starts up again, so it's good to keep in shape. I usually run even when it's raining because the coach makes us during the season anyway, but it's no fun. One time my only pair of running shoes got absolutely soaked and stayed wet for about 3 days, ugh. I have to be sure to get enough vitamins and stuff to keep my immune system up, but I haven't gotten sick from it yet so I guess that's good =P

I don't really know of any good indoor exercises though. I've always either exercised outside or on a home gym thing so I've never had to do that.

My metabolism is also quite godly, I've stayed the same weight since I was about 18... my grandad is the same, and still fits into his army slacks from when he served back in WW2. I don't do much planned exercise, but I've been skateboarding for about 10 years which is a really good all round work out, especially for the lower body. I usually do a 10 minute warm up now before going out for skate, because I'm getting a bit older now and things don't move as freely as they once did... but yeah just some gentle stretching, loosening up my muscles and such. It's kept me really well toned and generally in good shape, although I'm sure I have early-onset arthritis in several joints. Oh well.

Wow, I had no idea that so many people didn't know how to ride a bike. I just kind of took it for granted.
Well, there's only the two of us (Me and Ivysaur).

I'm always shocked by how many people can't swim. It's part of the Australian upbringing, because so much of the population live near the beach or have a pool (in fact, I think drowning is the the top cause of death in children under 6 here), so it's almost essential that your child learns to swim, and every primary school I know has a compulsory swimming lesson course.

But yeah, you see so many tourists and here so many stories from places like the US where teenagers and adults die because they don't know how to swim.

Learning to swim and to cycle for most people depend on their parents. If the parents teach the child to do either the child will learn. If the parents do not teach, the children will not learn, and once they reach adulthood they probably won't bother to learn.

Learning to swim and to cycle for most people depend on their parents. If the parents teach the child to do either the child will learn. If the parents do not teach, the children will not learn, and once they reach adulthood they probably won't bother to learn.
Totally, but I just take it for granted that people's parents will get them taught. It's just such a foreign concept that someone never learned to swim, especially since safety is involved.

If you cycle frequently, a great thing to do if you have access to a gym and possibly already a member, you could hop on one of their bikes and just spin for a while. If a membership for a gym is a little much you can always get a stationary bike of stationary bike stand described in this article.

Lunges are good for lower body strength and are generally one of the best workouts you can do. Otherwise, cardio will help with the biking.

So yeah add my name to the list of people who can't ride a bike

As for keeping in shape, I've played soccer for most of my life, and now that I'm in my teens I've added running and working too. So yeah for as long as I can remember I've always been in pretty good shape, and I've never even come close to being fat.

And okay fine I can't swim either(but I can doggy paddle for long distances!)

Swimming is supposedly really good for toning; it's a full-body workout and all, good for respiratory and endurance. And, it could save your life! If people are looking for an excercise routine for fitness, swimming is a good addition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)