move 2: Sludge Bomb
move 3: Spikes / Toxic Spikes
move 4: Sleep Powder / Synthesis
item: Life Orb / Black Sludge
ability: Natural Cure
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Roserade's naturally high Special Attack makes it a potent offensive threat, with very few Pokemon capable of resisting its powerful STAB coverage in the tier. Useful utility options in Spikes and Toxic Spikes also allow Roserade to support its team by wearing down its foes. Sleep Powder off its respectable base 90 Speed tier allows it to punish the likes of Bronzong, Doublade, and Toxtricity. Leaf Storm is a powerful STAB option, and, when paired with a Life Orb, it is strong enough to OHKO Milotic and remove half of Doublade's health. Alternatively, Giga Drain can be used as a recovery option without the drawback of a Special Attack drop, but this comes at the cost of some power, preventing Roserade from being able to OHKO foes like Machamp and Necrozma after Stealth Rock. Sludge Bomb allows Roserade to break past common Pokemon like Noivern and Galarian Weezing that resist its Grass-type coverage. Black Sludge is an option that provides Roserade with passive recovery, preventing it from being as easily worn down by entry hazards and Scald burns it attempts to absorb, which it can then proceed to remove with Natural Cure.

Doublade and Noivern make for great partners, as they appreciate Roserade being able to break through their defensive checks like Milotic, Rhyperior, and Gigalith. The aforementioned Pokemon, along with wallbreakers like Pangoro and Machamp, benefit greatly from Spikes and Toxic Spikes putting foes in range of a powerful or boosted attack. Flygon, Inteleon, and Noivern can safely bring Roserade in with U-turn against Pokemon like Milotic and Galarian Weezing for it to wallbreak or set up a layer of Spikes. Roserade struggles to break past bulky Pokemon like Escavalier, Bronzong, and Umbreon, the former of which is unaffected by Sleep Powder by virtue of Overcoat, so wallbreakers like Cobalion, Lucario, and Chandelure make for valuable partners. Golisopod, Noivern, and Mantine help check powerful priority users such as Mamoswine and opposing Golisopod that threaten to OHKO Roserade. Defensive pivots such as Gigalith, Rhyperior, and Milotic are greatly appreciated to pivot into threats like Noivern, Toxtricity, and Chandelure that attempt to revenge kill Roserade.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Twilight, 344575]]
- Quality checked by: [[Hilomilo, 313384], [A Cake Wearing A Hat, 388157 ]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Rabia, 336073]]

Last edited:

Jade

why are girls?
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
:roserade:

Friendly AM QC check, implement what you want. Trying a new format for this one. Comments in green.

Leaf Storm is a powerful STAB option capable of 2HKOing Doublade with Life Orb upon the second reentry. Alternatively, Giga Drain can be used as a recovery option without the drawback of a Special Attack drop at the cost of some power. Sludge Bomb allows Roserade to break past common Pokemon like Noivern and Galarian Weezing that resist its Grass-type coverage. Black Sludge is an option that provides Roserade with passive recovery preventing it from being worn down by entry hazards and Scald burns it attempts to absorb, which it can then proceed to remove with Natural Cure.
Is Leaf Storm first really necessary? I pretty much see Giga Drain all the time and from time using it I think Giga is just better in general. Leaf Storm does 2HKO Doublade like you said, but it's already getting worn down by Spikes + Giga Drain in general, assuming one Spike is up, and the Special Attack drop sucks in some situations. In addition Life Orb Giga Drain pretty much kills what you want it to except in specific situations like when you have to OHKO things like Milotic.

Black Sludge is an option that provides Roserade with passive recovery preventing it from being worn down by entry hazards and Scald burns it attempts to absorb, which it can then proceed to remove with Natural Cure.
If there's gonna be a sentence on Black Sludge, then there might as well be one on Life Orb, especially since you mention it beforehand with Leaf Storm. I also wouldn't say that Black Sludge prevents it from being worn down from entry hazards, it's pretty chip prone after taking Rocks / Spikes even with Sludge and if you're running Sleep Powder without recovery you don't really want extra chip.

Flygon, Inteleon, and Noivern can safely bring Roserade in with U-turn against Pokemon like Milotic and Galarian Weezing for it to wallbreak or set up a layer of Spikes.
Probably a GP comment but this sentence seems iffy, like Milotic sure. Galarian Weezing only comes in on one of these mons which is Flygon, its a pretty shaky Noivern answer too.

Roserade struggles to break past bulky Pokemon like Escavalier, Umbreon, and Drapion, the former of which is unaffected by Sleep Powder by virtue of Overcoat, so wallbreakers like Chandelure, Lucario, and Ninetales make for valuable partners.
Lucario's fine, but Ninetales and especially Chandelure don't help with Umbreon and Drapion. Umbreon can lose if it gets bad Sleep Powder turns and is annoyed by Sludge Bomb or Toxic Spikes poison while doing not much back with Foul Play. Drapion's fine I guess, since Sleep Powder is the first slash it doesn't really like switching into Roserade much, especially if Spikes are up. Maybe just make this section on Steel-types in general?

Golisopod, Noivern, and Mantine help check powerful priority users such as Mamoswine and opposing Golisopod that threaten to OHKO Roserade.
The Noivern mention here bothers me for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Juuno I have implemented what I agree with. This was discussed further in QC and the set will remain with Leaf Storm as the initial slash. I'll leave it to QC whether to add a line on LO but I feel it's self-explanatory that LO = more damage at this point. I have implemented the latter half of this point.

The rest of this check I've already discussed with you vaguely but when I say partners like Chandelure and Ninetales it's referring primarily to breaking the Steel-types than Umbreon here. Both of these can still threaten Drapion and Umbreon with their strong Fire-type STAB when boosted so I think they have enough value being mentioned, but I added Bronzong as another target to get across clearer that bulky Steel-types are problematic for Roserade as you were pointing out. Personally, this stuff should just be common knowledge the reader should know like Vern not being a Mamo check so I'm referring to Goli, but I'll leave this up to GP when we get there though because maybe it's worded poorly. Good job on the rest of this :blobthumbsup:

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
  • I would separate Sleep Powder into a separate sentence from the your mentions of Spikes and Toxic Spikes. This way you can add a couple mentions of switch-ins Roserade can cripple without making the sentence you had before seem crammed.
  • I'd either remove or find a way to rephrase the "upon the second reentry" portion of the Leaf Storm line since it reads a bit confusingly atm.
  • Emphasize the difference in power with Giga Drain a bit more by maybe bringing up a few important KOes Roserade misses out on.
QC 1/2 after you've implemented this. Amazing work as always friend!

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Leaf Storm doesn't 2HKO Doublade. you forgot the SpA drop.
252 SpA Life Orb Roserade Leaf Storm over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 234-279 (72.6 - 86.6%) -- not a KO
Find another benchmark for running Leaf Storm instead, like OHKOing Milotic and Vaporeon.

You'd be hard pressed to be running Ninetales and not want Venusaur as a Grass/Poison teammate. Find a different third teammate example that can beat umbreon, like Cobalion. Coba's good.

Shucoba also helps against Mamo, arguably better than many of the other mons you listed there.

2/2

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
add remove comments
[SET]
name: Offensive Spikes
move 1: Leaf Storm / Giga Drain
move 2: Sludge Bomb
move 3: Spikes / Toxic Spikes
move 4: Sleep Powder / Synthesis
item: Life Orb / Black Sludge
ability: Natural Cure
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Roserade's naturally high Special Attack makes it a potent offensive threat,(AC) with very few Pokemon capable of resisting its powerful STAB coverage in the tier. Useful utility options in Spikes and Toxic Spikes also allow Roserade to support its team by wearing down its foes. Sleep Powder off its respectable base 90 Speed tier allows it to punish the likes of Bronzong, Doublade, and Toxtricity. Leaf Storm is a powerful STAB option, and,(AC) when paired with a Life Orb, it is strong enough to OHKO Milotic and removes remove (optional: makes the list read a little better imo) half of Doublade's health. Alternatively, Giga Drain can be used as a recovery option without the drawback of a Special Attack drop,(AC) but this comes at the cost of some power, preventing it Roserade from being able to OHKO foes like Machamp and Necrozma after Stealth Rock. Sludge Bomb allows Roserade to break past common Pokemon like Noivern and Galarian Weezing that resist its Grass-type coverage. Black Sludge is an option that provides Roserade with passive recovery,(AC) preventing it from being as easily worn down by entry hazards and Scald burns it attempts to absorb, which it can then proceed to remove with Natural Cure.

Doublade and Noivern make for great partners,(AC) as they appreciate Roserade being able to break through their defensive checks like Milotic, Rhyperior, and Gigalith. The aforementioned Pokemon, along with wallbreakers like Pangoro and Machamp, benefit greatly from Spikes and Toxic Spikes wearing down putting foes in range of a powerful or boosted attack. Flygon, Inteleon, and Noivern can safely bring Roserade in with U-turn against Pokemon like Milotic and Galarian Weezing for it to wallbreak or set up a layer of Spikes. Roserade struggles to break past bulky Pokemon like Escavalier, Bronzong, and Umbreon, the former of which is unaffected by Sleep Powder by virtue of Overcoat, so wallbreakers like Cobalion, Lucario, and Chandelure make for valuable partners. Golisopod, Noivern, and Mantine help check powerful priority users such as Mamoswine and opposing Golisopod that threaten to OHKO Roserade. Defensive pivots such as Gigalith, Rhyperior, and Milotic are greatly appreciated to pivot into threats like Noivern, Toxtricity, and Chandelure that attempt to revenge kill Roserade.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Twilight, 344575]]
- Quality checked by: [[Hilomilo, 313384], [A Cake Wearing A Hat, 388157 ]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

gp 1/1 once done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)