move 2: Volt Switch
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Dark Pulse / Trick
item: Choice Specs / Choice Scarf / Assault Vest
ability: Levitate
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
[SET COMMENTS]
Rotom-H utilizes Choice items to wallbreak or revenge kill opposing Pokemon and act as an effective offensive pivot. Assault Vest lets Rotom-H take on the likes of Togekiss better because the increased bulk allows Rotom-H to avoid a 2HKO from +2 Dynamaxed Togekiss. Overheat is Rotom-H’s strongest STAB that allows it to hit Fire-Type weak Pokemon such as Ferrothorn. Volt Switch is a strong move that allows Rotom-H to pivot out after forcing switches. Thunderbolt is a STAB move that does not force it out or lower it’s Special Attack, which lets Rotom-H defeat bulky Pokemon such as Corviknight easier. Trick allows Rotom to cripple defensive Pokemon by forcing them to select one move, and allows Rotom-H to freely switch between its moves, however, it should not be used with Assault Vest. Dark Pulse is an alternative to Trick that allows Rotom-H to hit Ghost-Types such as Dragapult harder.

When using Rotom-H it is important to bring a teammate that can threaten Water-Types like Dracovish or Gyarados because they can outspeed and deal massive damage to Rotom-H, though Rotom-H threatens to burn them with Will-O-Wisp. Excadrill is also a massive threat, as it can outspeed and OHKO Rotom-H with Mold Breaker Earthquake.

[SET]
name: Bulky Pivot
move 1: Overheat
move 3: Discharge / Thunderbolt / Nasty Plot
move 4: Dark Pulse / Will-O-Wisp / Nasty Plot
item: Sitrus Berry / Assault Vest
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Rotom-H is an excellent pivot, offering its unique Electric and Fire Typing and useful ability in Levitiate that let Rotom-H check threats such as Ferrothorn, Mamoswine, and Mimikyu. For the most part Rotom-H’s moveset functions the same as it does in the Choice Attacker set, but Will-O-Wisp allows Rotom-H to cripple Physical attackers such as Excadrill and Mimikyu. The ev spread allows Rotom-H to be as bulky as possible, while also hitting as hard as possible. The 4 speed evs can let Rotom-H outspeed other uninvested Rotom forms. Sitrus Berry helps Rotom-H with chip damage, letting it turn various 2HKOs into 3HKOs. Assault Vest is another option that allows Rotom to take Special hits better. Other items such as Magnet or Charcoal can be used to increase Rotom-H’s Damage output, while Passho Berry can be used to bait Pokemon such as Gyarados into using a Water-Type attack and KO with Thunderbolt or Volt Switch.

Last edited:
A few questions I'd like people to weigh in on are:
1. Should Scarf / Specs be added as another set?
2. Should The current set have Leftovers or something slashed?
3. Also for the current set: do you all prefer SpD or SpA investment?

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think specs should definitely be listed. I’m seeing a ton of specs on cart ladder (it’s been the most common set I’ve run into). Also, since specs and scarf are virtually the same set and scarfs is far less prevalent I think you can just throw a one sentence aside in the specs description.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Scarf and specs should absolutely be made. However, I imagine fast Scarf and Bulky specs are the preferred option, so make that clear, particularly with a spread, in your post.

I think Ika's passho Berry set is a good idea to include. It makes it an excellent Gyara lure, and should receive some level of mention.

For the Rotom-H bulky attacker set you have, the EVs are also quite basic, and for a defensive mon like Rotom-H, I think could be better customized for specific benchmarks. If not outright made into sets, the spreads should be mentioned, with both a SpD and Def option.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah I think unlike Rotom-W, Rotom-H probably needs a seperate choice set since the bulky pivot set has a pretty wide variety of item choices compared to Rotom-W (Super sitrus berries are a pretty good example, and stuff like charcoal and magnet can be neat for extra offensive presence). For choice, I'd probably make specs the first choice since it tends to threaten the bulkier teams out there better, but Scarf is still good!

I do think mentioning that Rotom-H can invest more fully into SpD and Def should be mentioned for the bulky pivot set as well (which by the way, I think should probably be the 2nd set for the moment). I'm not sure about specfic spreads since the metagame is constnatly changing right now and there's a pretty wide variety of threats you can EV for in Rotom-H's case, so I don't mind more vague mentions for now (I don't mind adding benchmarks either to be clear, just don't get too carried away with them lol).

It should be noted you can use Passho Berry to bait in opposing water attacks, especially from Gyarados and then hit them with Tbolt/Volt Switch.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
I personally prefer my Rotom-H to be a faster offensive set like Scarf / Specs. I think a bulky set and an offensive set should be the 2 separate sets listed. Make all those changes + everyone listed above so we can stamp this.

Yeah I think unlike Rotom-W, Rotom-H probably needs a seperate choice set since the bulky pivot set has a pretty wide variety of item choices compared to Rotom-W (Super sitrus berries are a pretty good example, and stuff like charcoal and magnet can be neat for extra offensive presence). For choice, I'd probably make specs the first choice since it tends to threaten the bulkier teams out there better, but Scarf is still good!

I do think mentioning that Rotom-H can invest more fully into SpD and Def should be mentioned for the bulky pivot set as well (which by the way, I think should probably be the 2nd set for the moment). I'm not sure about specfic spreads since the metagame is constnatly changing right now and there's a pretty wide variety of threats you can EV for in Rotom-H's case, so I don't mind more vague mentions for now (I don't mind adding benchmarks either to be clear, just don't get too carried away with them lol).
I personally prefer my Rotom-H to be a faster offensive set like Scarf / Specs. I think a bulky set and an offensive set should be the 2 separate sets listed. Make all those changes + everyone listed above so we can stamp this.
Updated the OP finally (sorry for taking so long :/).

Here's a changelog of sorts if that makes it any easier to QC.
[SET]
name: Choice Attacker
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Trick / Shadow Ball
item: Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
[SET COMMENTS]
Rotom-H utilizes Choice items to wallbreak or revenge kill opposing Pokemon and act as an effective offensive pivot. Overheat is Rotom-H’s strongest STAB that allows it to hit Fire-Type weak Pokemon such as Ferrothorn. Volt Switch is a strong move that allows Rotom-H to pivot out after forcing switches. Thunderbolt is a STAB move that does not force it out or lower it’s Special Attack, which lets Rotom-H defeat bulky Pokemon such as Corviknight easier. Trick allows Rotom to cripple defensive Pokemon by forcing then to select one move, and allows Rotom-H to freely switch between its moves. Shadow ball is an alternative to Trick that allows Rotom-H to hit Ghost-Types that normally wall it harder.

When using Rotom-H it is important to bring a teammate that can threaten Water-Types like Dracovish or Gyarados because they can outspeed and deal massive damage to Rotom-H, though Rotom-H threatens to burn them with Will-O-Wisp. Excadrill is also a massive threat, as it can outspeed and OHKO Rotom-H with Mold Breaker Earthquake.

[SET]
move 3: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Thunderbolt
item: Sitrus Berry / Charcoal / Magnet
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Rotom-H is an excellent pivot, offering its unique Electric and Fire Typing and useful ability in Levitiate that let Rotom-H check threats such as Ferrothorn, Mamoswine, and Mimikyu. For the most part Rotom-H’s moveset functions the same as it does in the Choice Attacker set, but Will-O-Wisp allows Rotom-H to cripple Physical attackers such as Excadrill and Mimikyu. The ev spread allows Rotom-H to be as bulky as possible, while also hitting as hard as possible. The 4 speed evs can let Rotom-H outspeed other uninvested Rotom forms. Sitrus Berry helps Rotom-H with chip damage, letting it turn various 2HKOs into 3HKOs. Other items such as Magnet or Charcoal can be used to increase Rotom-H’s Damage output, while Passho Berry can be used to bait Pokemon such as Gyarados into using a Water-Type attack and KO with Thunderbolt or Volt Switch.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Set 1 should have Dark Pulse slashed in over Shadow Ball. Same BP but with a far more useful ability to drop SpD with dynamax and flinching is more useful than SpD drop in regular form, particularly with Scarf.

Set 2, while not impossible to have full HP/SpD, is not representative of what people expect of Rotom. Bulky Pivots with all the Rotoms should all be full HP, most of the extra points in SpA, and potentially some investment to hit benchmarks with Spe/SpD/Def. I think that set needs to be completely reworked.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Heres a more reasonable Bulky Pivot set in the current metagame

[SET]
move 3: Discharge/Thunderbolt/Nasty Plot
move 4: Dark Pulse/Will-o-wisp/Nasty Plot
item: Sitrus Berry / Assault Vest
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe

I updated the OP reflecting the post 1tp made if that's where we want to go with Rotom-H's bulky set (Still have the previous edit saved just in case as well).

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
I updated the OP reflecting the post 1tp made if that's where we want to go with Rotom-H's bulky set (Still have the previous edit saved just in case as well).
Very cool, good stuff. I think also a mention in the first Choiced set that Choice Specs often will run bulk and provide an simple alternative spread of 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe would be helpful, although what your spread listed is fine as the copy paste spread, as it can work for Specs and is the only notable spread for Scarf. I think slashing Shadow Ball, albeit behind Dark Pulse (what I meant to say on the previous jan 24th post) on the choice set may also be useful, as it reduces the turns needed to beat Mimikyu by 1 in comparison to its other coverage options, while also being harder to switch into. You are also far less likely to Dynamax the choiced version in comparison to the bulky version. (However, check with a QC to see if they agree on this point for shadow ball for it to still be included as the third slash).

For the second set, something that the GP ppl told me was that you need to be able to read the second set as a standalone without having to refer to the first set. So mention why each move is selected or slashed, even if it does seem redundant. Especially with Nasty Plot, which is quite widely used and has no mention outside of being slashed as a move option for the second set.

Last edited:

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Thanks for implementing. QC 1/2. Everything else seems good.

Pay attention to Will-O-Wisp capitalization on the set.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
should probably add Assault Vest to the choiced set, possibly make it a “4 attack” set or something, as the next evolution in the rotom vs togekiss war. apart from that i think this is good to get done

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I’m gonna be a butt and change my mind slightly. It looks really awkward the way it is now that i see it. First set should be “bulky 4 attacks” (but with a better name) with AV / specs. tbh I think AV is becoming the niche for Heatom
over Wash + Mow. then do the fast scarf set seperate. pivot is good to me. I’ll give 2/2 once it’s done

marilli

With you
Not sure if you're still writing this or what's going on but it's been a long time I've first approved this

Please change:

1. Bulky / AV should be the first set and first slash. AV should be the first slash over Sitrus, and 20 SpD EVs should be recommended for being a significant dropoff point for Modest +2 Airstream to 2HKO it. (Chance drops from 52 to 32%, and it takes 92 EVs for that to never KO which I don't think is worth given how Timid is more common & Modest are often paired with Life Orb and often also no NP - making further investment highly specialized, while additional Special Attack helps against everything.)

2. Discharge is indeed more common, but note that with Stealth Rock support, Thunderbolt becomes significantly better because of T bolt's extra damage push + SR chip pushes a lot of calcs your way.

If anything:

180+ SpA Rotom-H Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Togekiss: 122-146 (75.7 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

should be enough reason.

3. AV Should be removed from the second (current first) 252 / 252 set, because the first set should be the flagship AV set. Consider changing the name, too (say, "Choiced" or whatever the C&C standard is nowadays)

I'd be annoyed by this still not being written up except the part it would have been stuck in GP all the same. Do let us know if you're still interested in working on this or what exactly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)