Battle Spot Rotom-W

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
[SET]
name: Standard
move 1: Hydro Pump
move 2: Volt Switch
move 3: Discharge / Nasty Plot
move 4: Shadow Ball / Dark Pulse / Will-O-Wisp / Trick
item: Choice Specs / Sitrus Berry / Choice Scarf
ability: Levitate
nature: Modest / Timid
evs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
Hydro Pump is Rotom's only Water STAB move, and threatens most Ground-types that would like to deny its Electric attacks. Volt Switch allows Rotom to deal damage and switch out for a favorable matchup, which is especially effective as Gastrodon is the only Ground-type that feels comfortable with switching into Rotom-W. A choice of Discharge and Thunderbolt allows Rotom the option to use its Electric STAB without being forced out. Nasty Plot allows Rotom-W the option to boost its damage, letting it potentially sweep with Dynamax. Shadow Ball hits Dragapult, in addition to hitting Mimikyu super effectively. While Dark Pulse has redundant coverage with Shadow Ball and does not hit Mimikyu, but notably drops the opposing Special Defense. Will-O-Wisp allows Rotom to cripple physical attackers. Trick with Choice item can cripple the likes of Ferrothorn, though they can always break the Choice lock once with Dynamax. The EV spread allows Rotom-W to always survive an unboosted Gyarados Power Whip. Choice Specs allows Rotom-W to boost its damage, and also means that Rotom-W does not need to Dynamax to OHKO Gyarados. On the other hand, Sitrus Berry allows Rotom to better leverage its defensive typing with a way to heal its HP. Finally, Choice Scarf is listed as an option for its ability to outpace Mold Breaker Excadrill or revenge weakened Dragapult with Shadow Ball, but it should be noted that the available bulky spread is not viable with Scarf - Timid nature and maximum Special Attack and Speed would be a great starting point for a Choice Scarf Rotom-W.

Rotom-W can Dynamax to check a boosted Dynamax Gyarados, as it will OHKO with Max Lightning and will avoid a 2HKO with Max Overgrow. Rotom-W excels in keeping momentum and as a result pairs well with attackers such as Dragapult, which can also keep momentum with U-turn. Rotom-W also needs help handling Grass-types like Ferrothorn, so Pokemon like Arcanine and Chandelure can be a good partner. Rotom-W fits most teams because it has great defensive typing, good bulk and damage, and ability to reliably generate favorable matchups with Volt Switch. The only downside of using a Rotom-W is that it denies you the option to use other great Rotom formes such as Rotom-H and Rotom-S.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think Choice Scarf is worth a mention (with the obvious addition that you'll need Timid Max Speed for it). It's quite common on cart, since while it sorta fails against Wacan Gyarados, outspeeding stuff like sash Mold Breaker Excadrill is nice, and picking off weakened Dragapult with Shadow Ball can be pretty clutch. I also think Trick is worth a slot in, if only because it can really screw if Ferrothorn if you use Scarf lol. I guess Scarf could be its own set too, but it uses pretty much the same moves except Trick too, so I'm fine with it just being a slash in.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
It might be redundant to slash both Shadow Ball and Dark Pulse but I would probably make a note about Dark Pulse in the comments due to Max Darkness lowering SpD which helps Rotom more than Max Phantasm. Of course the downside to this is that it doesn't hit Mimikyu for super-effective damage. Otherwise this looks good, Rotom-W good. Unsure if Theorymon's post counted as full QC so in case it isn't this is QC 1/2.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah this is good to go imo, I'll put this into copy editing right now! QC Approved 2/2!

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus
remove additions (comments)

[SET]
name: Standard
move 1: Hydro Pump
move 2: Volt Switch
move 3: Discharge / Nasty Plot
move 4: Shadow Ball / Dark Pulse / Will-O-Wisp / Trick
item: Choice Specs / Sitrus Berry / Choice Scarf
ability: Levitate
nature: Modest / Timid
evs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
Hydro Pump is Rotom-W's only Water type STAB move, and threatens most Ground-types that would like to deny its Electric type attacks. (from standards: "STAB type" can be used to refer to a type that gets STAB. - I believe this applies here, hence the additions and no hyphen.) Volt Switch allows Rotom-W to deal damage and switch out for a favorable matchup, which is especially effective as Gastrodon is the only Ground-type that feels comfortable with switching into Rotom-W. A choice of Discharge and Thunderbolt (Tbolt isn't slashed on this set, should it be? If not, remove this mention and just say "Discharge allows Rotom-W ...") allows Rotom-W the option to use its Electric type STAB without being forced out. Nasty Plot allows gives Rotom-W the option to boost its damage, letting it potentially sweep with Dynamax. Shadow Ball hits Dragapult, (remove comma) in addition to hitting and Mimikyu super effectively. While Dark Pulse has some redundant coverage with Shadow Ball and does not hit deal with Mimikyu, but it notably drops the opposing opponent's Special Defense as Max Darkness. Will-O-Wisp allows Rotom-W to cripple physical attackers. Trick with a Choice item can cripple the likes of Ferrothorn, though they can always break the Choice lock once with Dynamax. The EV spread allows means that Rotom-W to will always survive an unboosted Gyarados Power Whip. Choice Specs allows Rotom-W to boost its damage, and also means that Rotom-W it does not need to Dynamax to OHKO Gyarados. On the other hand, Sitrus Berry allows Rotom-W to better leverage its defensive typing with a way to heal its HP form of recovery. Finally, Choice Scarf is listed as an option for its ability to outpace Mold Breaker Excadrill or and revenge kill weakened Dragapult with Shadow Ball, but it should be noted that the available bulky spread is not viable with a Choice Scarf(add period) - A Timid nature and maximum Special Attack and Speed investment would be a great starting point for a Choice Scarf Rotom-W.

Rotom-W can Dynamax to check a boosted Dynamax Gyarados, as it will OHKO with Max Lightning and will avoids a 2HKO with from Max Overgrow. Rotom-W excels in keeping momentum and as a result pairs well with attackers such as Dragapult, which can also keep momentum with U-turn. Rotom-W also needs help handling Grass-types like Ferrothorn, so a Pokemon like Arcanine and or Chandelure can be a good partner. Rotom-W fits most teams because it has great defensive typing, good bulk and damage, and ability to reliably generate favorable matchups with Volt Switch. The only downside of using a Rotom-W is that it denies you the option opportunity to use other great Rotom formes such as Rotom-H and Rotom-S.

I think I caught all the "Rotom" mentions instead of Rotom-W (for consistency, always use the full name of the forme), and you might wanna check with someone about the Tbolt comment since it's not currently listed on the set. Otherwise, this looks good. GP 1/1.

contrib_gp.png

Last edited:

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
uh right should Thunderbolt be slashed on this with Discharge right? Or even slashed ahead. I just put Discharge first slot literally cuz Rotom doesn't get Thunderbolt naturally so that's what i've been using.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)