Pet Mod Roulettemons [Finished Mod + Now with Random Battles!]

Carnite: NEUROFORRRRRRCE! ...Ahem. With Fighting STAB and strong coverage varying from Fire to Water to Grass to Ghost to Poison to Fairy, This thing’s goal is to hit as many things as possible Super Effectively. You could use Rock Polish 3 Attacks, All Out Attacker, Scarf user, or even Z-Trick-or-Treat plus Shadow Ball to Neuroforce your foes to death. It also has access to a plethora of utility moves, like Stealth Rock, Rapid Spin, Knock Off, Lunar Dance and Heal Bell, as well as a very high Defense stat, so you could place any one of them onto a set and not feel terrible about it.

Spidath: Mostly useless abilities but great stats and moves. The low down on this things sets is probably going to boil down to 3 Attacks + Glare, possibly a Taunt set as well. Your Special Attack id rather high, so STABs plus Power Gem hits many things hard, but your Attack is high enough that running Superpower over Power Gem to break past certain threats might be a good idea. Fast Glare is a great method of Speed control. Also, Spidath would have the niche of being immune to Aquazelle’s Toxic thanks to Immunity, so it’s not entirely pointless. Your coverage on the special side may be limited, but this thing would definitely be a solid pick on many teams.

Badgius: Two highest stats are Speed and SpD, no recovery apart from Leech Seed, utility is limited to Haze and Aromatherapy, omniboost options aren’t really good on it, we already have a Dark/Ice type combo. Just too many reasons why this probably wouldn’t be great.

Manatic: This thing would be amazing in a Roulettemons Ubers metagame. It has everything it could ever want. Magic Guard with LO is stronger than you’d think, Volt Switch for pivoting, Rapid Spin and Whirlwind for potential utility, Defend Order for a potential Rest stalling set with Magic Guard (which by the way means you can’t Toxic it for any notable effect), and if you feel like it, Transform into the foe! The only way this would be more broken is if instead of Fleur Cannon it got Light of Ruin. That would be straight up insane.

Terroraffe: This thing feels like a meme pick. It has ludicrous Speed and HP, but poor offenses with no way to boost them to the point of being able to deal enough damage to be worth it. Its best utility move is Court Change, which isn’t always reliable (the only reason it’s good on Cinderace is because Cinderace has a place on the team other than being a designated Court Change user). And Metal Burst is worthless because 188 Speed means you’re going first, and that means it fails (Metal Burst is not like Counter/Mirror Coat, it has normal priority). I guess you could run Lagging Tail as a “surprise” maneuver, but that means you’re running Lagging Tail on a Pokemon with 188 Speed.

Carnite: I know I’ve been critical of very physically bulky mons before, but this one lacks recovery and is largely outclassed by Brawnkey as a tank. As a special attacking fighting type it’s more offensive than Gorilax and faster than Chillvark. Mono-Fighting isn’t great STAB, but it supplements that with Neuroforce and some nice utility moves like Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin. Lunar Dance is neat too if you want to run it as a suicide lead. This looks like it could fill a few roles very well.

Spidath: A Steel/Poison glass cannon is definitely interesting. Spidath’s STAB combo isn’t too impressive, and neither is it’s coverage, until you start considering it as a mixed attacker. Superpower and Blaze Kick are crucial coverage moves for Steel types, and even from 91 base attack they can get the job done against Giranium and Anteros. My main concern is that this might run Scorpita out of a job. Specially attacking Poison types is not something we lack in, and Spidath has the best stats for the job, definitely. Although its movepool is poorer it still has enough to be effective. Probably not the best choice.

Badgius: This one looks like the real stinker. Great setup moves in CM, Clangorous Soul, and Z-Trick or Treat, but poor special attack. Defensively it completely lacks reliable recovery, instead having to rely on Leech Seed. Add to the fact that there’s already an overabundance of Ice types, including another specially defensive Dark/Ice type that would almost certainly outclass Badgius, and I struggle to see what it brings to the table. It really puts the “bad” in Badgius.

Manatic: Hey look, it’s Krilowatt from CAP. If this had reliable recovery I wouldn’t hesitate to call it broken, as it is it’s at the least “meta-defining”. Excellent bulk and Speed, and a workable special attack. Its STAB combo hits everything neutrally except the Dragon types which it can cover with Fleur Cannon. STAB Volt Switch puts it over the top by letting it gain momentum while dealing a lot of damage. It even can be an offensive spinner. I think its only real weak point is that its on the weaker side, so it can struggle to muscle through certain things and get muscled through in return. But all its other good qualities could prove to be too much.

Terroraffe: What a wonky mon. Absurd speed and moderate bulk with a panoply of coverage moves, but terrible offenses and a lack of recovery or utility besides Court Change. This mon’s niches would be limited to outspeeding and revenge killing Electritar naturally and Court Changing hazards away, and both are respectable niches. But besides that it kinda doesn’t do anything. No comment.

I think Carnite is my favourite, have to give it more thought.

Everybody gangster till Terroraffe gets the steam engine boost
It can hit up to 2088 speed after a Steam Engine boost which is nutty. Too bad it can’t really do anything useful with it. Hold the phones and eat em, it get Power Trip and Stored Power, both of which hit 140 power after a Steam Engine boost! Combo it with Z-conversion and you get 220 BP STAB Stored power after a Conversion and Steam Engine boost. This would be amazing if it had more than 70 special attack.

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Why is Thousand waves not considered a viable move? Its a 90 bp 100 acc ground move with a benefit.
It's not that the move is bad, but when I made the spreadsheet around a year ago I based what category each move was in around what Showdown put in the viable moves section and what they put in the other. Either Thousand Waves wasn't considered viable back then or I made another mistake, and I think Showdown considered signature moves that didn't get any competitive use unviable even if some Pokemon would have appreciated learning it. That's changed now so I'll update the spreadsheet, thanks for catching that.

As for the current slate -

I'm honestly not so sure how I feel about Carnite. This thing's coverage is perfectly tailored to break past all of our specially defensive Pokemon between Shadow Ball, Light of Ruin, Heat Wave and Aura Sphere, and I don't think there's anything in the meta that avoids getting 2HKOd by this thing thanks to Neuroforce and Life Orb. The only exceptions I can think of are Flamyle and Falcola, who don't really want to run defensive sets, and Pidgeotine, who is prone to being worn down. I imagine there could be a few other offensive checks that I was missing but this Pokemon sounds like a bit of a pain to deal with.

At first glance, Spidath looks really lackluster, but I think it has the potential to be a pretty interesting stallbreaker thanks to Taunt and Roost. This thing comes in on things like Gorilax and Crazefly as well as the defensive variants of Baloon and Giranium quite easily without really needing to invest in bulk and can then proceed to slowly whittle them down if they don't switch, or in Baloon's case, kill it outright. As for its other moveslots, Flash Cannon is probably a must, and it might want Superpower as well so it doesn't outright lose to Komodith. As for whether or not it's balanced though, I doubt it. On paper the thing does really well against defensive teams while still having the third highest Speed in the metagame. It'd probably lose to Anteros without running the suboptimal HP Fire, but I don't think this thing has any other true defensive answers.

Badgius is awful for reasons already stated, and I don't think I need to say much else there.

Manatic looks insane on paper. This Pokemon seems like a pretty absurd Electric-type with really nice physical bulk, still pretty good special bulk, access to Rapid Spin and STAB Volt Switch as well. If that sounded familiar then that's because this thing seems to me like a better version of Voltecta. It has a bit of a worse offensive typing and I think slightly worse defensive stats, but in exchange, it gets a much better defensive typing, two fantastic abilities, and it would be insanely fast. Obviously a different Pokemon from Voltecta but the two seem really similar and I don't know if I'd want this thing to be added.

Lastly, Terroraffe. This Pokemon is funny but not much else, Court Change is stupid but the thing would be basically a waste of a teamslot otherwise. This is the fourth Pokemon of the slate to completely lack recovery and if it had that it could have at least had a chance to be decent, although I haven't calced anything because it doesn't really matter. It's upsetting to see something with such great meme potential turn out to be so bad, if this thing had like 30 or 40 of those HP points pushed into SpAtk then maybe it'd be decent, but that's unfortunately not how things turned out.

That's about it! I'll open voting tomorrow.

Last edited:

DuoM2

whao
The option "None" won this slate, so nothing from the slate will be added. The spreadsheet will be updated later today.

As for the next slate...

Catelax
Bug
Neutralizing Gas/No Guard/Shed Skin
101/93/133/43/96/134
Viable Moves: X-Scissor, Bug Buzz, Brick Break, Fake Out, Octolock, Tail Slap, Shadow Force, Healing Wish, Thunderbolt, Draco Meteor, Poison Jab, Scald, Strange Steam, U-Turn, Super Fang, Techno Blast, Will-o-Wisp, Flamethrower, Mach Punch, Final Gambit
Other Moves: Stomp, Assist, Constrict, Power Trip, Growl, Electrify, Imprison, Grassy Terrain, Dream Eater, Submission, Sand Tomb, Misty Terrain, Simple Beam, Trop Kick, Phantom Force, Heavy Slam, Heal Block, Harden, Inferno, Tackle

Chimibia
Fairy/Ghost
Justified/No Second Ability/Vital Spirit
111/109/78/80/78/144
Viable Moves: Play Rough, Moonblast, Shadow Bone, Shadow Ball, Refresh, Body Slam, Draco Meteor, Body Press, Fusion Bolt, Earthquake, Power Gem, Techno Blast, Power-Up Punch, Calm Mind, Nasty Plot, Mind Blown, Multi-Attack, Pursuit, Endeavor, Blue Flare
Other Moves: Charm, Odor Sleuth, Zap Cannon, Laser Focus, Sharpen, Slash, Water Pulse, Dream Eater, Aura Wheel, Razor Shell, Safeguard, Clamp, Dragon Breath, Mega Drain, Gust, Absorb, Wake-Up Slap, Swift, Disarming Voice, Mat Block

Rampingo
Flying
Slush Rush/Pixilate/Flame Body
90/93/62/125/175/55
Viable Moves: Drill Peck, Aeroblast, Reflect Type, Zen Headbutt, Aqua Tail, Blaze Kick, Fishious Rend, Sacred Sword, Defog, Perish Song, Rock Polish, Swords Dance, Mind Blown, Gunk Shot, Memento, Aura Sphere, Aurora Veil, Night Shade, Eruption, Sacred Fire
Other Moves: Assist, String Shot, Kinesis, Double Hit, Smokescreen, Dark Void, Swagger, Leer, Fly, Charge Beam, Land's Wrath, Mud-Slap, Weather Ball, Triple Kick, Pay Day, Bulldoze, Feather Dance, Poison Tail, Hyper Beam, Sparkling Aria

Flabite
Dark/Fire
Snow Cloak/Water Absorb/Air Lock
49/73/70/155/143/110
Viable Moves: Crunch, Dark Pulse, Blaze Kick, Flamethrower, Autotomize, Switcheroo, Roost, Lunar Dance, Ice Beam, Thunder Wave, Defend Order, Rock Slide, Double-Edge, Knock Off, Rock Blast, Tailwind, Behemoth Bash, Ice Punch, Fishious Rend, Overheat
Other Moves: Wing Attack, Blast Burn, Harden, Psychic Terrain, Mega Drain, Cross Poison, Flower Shield, Barrage, Psybeam, Mud Shot, Trump Card, Shock Wave, Magic Powder, Conversion 2, Swift, Confusion, Freeze Shock, Night Daze, Meteor Assault, Zap Cannon

Ramron
Normal
Poison Touch/Huge Power/Dancer
113/44/148/26/142/127
Viable Moves: Strength, Hyper Voice, Foul Play, Rock Polish, Rock Slide, Dragon Pulse, Haze, Endeavor, Shadow Punch, Parting Shot, Bug Buzz, Ice Beam, Dazzling Gleam, Will-o-Wisp, Leaf Storm, Psycho Cut, Agility, Sticky Web, Stealth Rock, Power Gem
Other Moves: Aqua Ring, Flame Burst, Rain Dance, Future Sight, Pound, Guard Split, Noble Roar, Swagger, Embargo, Meditate, Crafty Shield, Dig, Sonic Boom, Electrify, Purify, Magnitude, Heart Swap, Land's Wrath, Hyperspace Fury, Torment

That's about it! I'm still working on that Voltarak sprite because I had a crazy weekend that made me forget about it (lol) and I had an idea for Beanium today. Dicussion phase has begun!

Last edited:

DuoM2

whao
For those of you who looked at the stats before now, I had messed up Flabite's stats. Those are fixed now because I couldn't fix them before due to class.

I like how your mon generator is attempting to evade the BST limit with Huge Power. It's only real flaw is a lack of recovery.
I haven't looked at everything yet so I'm not gonna make a full post yet, but I'm not sure if Huge Power would fully save this Pokemon's offensive presence. There are some ridiculous physical walls in this meta, and although this thing has an effective base 137 Attack, I doubt that would be enough to break Baloon, Brawnkey, or Mega Chillyte.

Last edited:
Catelax: Seeing that high physical defense and Will-O-Wisp made me groan at first. Catelax lacks recovery though besides Shed Skin + Rest, making it an inconsistent defensive mon, preventing it from getting too obnoxious. Its defensive typing is also iffy, making it a poor hard wall. Neutralizing Gas is a really cool ability, but I think the most unique thing about this mon is Octolock, which it would be able to use well. It could trap a thing, stall turns with Protect or Shadow Force, or U-turn out if its something it can’t 1v1. Neutralizing Gas prevents this strategy from backfiring horribly against Baloon, but Shed Skin is probably better for beating status spreaders over time, especially with Rest. This is a very interesting one, the more I think about it, the more I like it.

Chimibia: I like this one. Although its offenses are pretty low, it can still succeed as an offensive mon thanks to great coverage and Speed. It also has the option to run a special set with Nasty Plot which would surprise a lot of its checks, like Baloon for instance. Power-Up Punch gives it a potential physical boosting option too. My concern is that it’s a little similar to Specyte, who I also like. They’re both physically slanted Ghost attackers with special options. Their differences in type, movepool, and stats are substantial enough though. Definitely a cool pick.

Rampingo: Looks pretty bad. Similar to Pidgeotine in that it’s a very specially bulky Flying type with no recovery, but unlike Pidgeotine, Rampingo lacks pivoting and has a poorer offensive presence. It’s also slow as hell, preventing it from really attempting anything offensively. Albatrygon also does “specially or mixed offensive flying type with hazard control option” much better. So yeah. Most unique way to use this is Double Dance + Fishious Rend, which is also bad.

Flabite: Fire is the least common type in Roulettemons, and Dark isn’t much less rare. A specially attacking Fire type is a really solid addition too, as the current Fire-types are both physical attackers. That said I’m a little worried about Flabite. Fire/Dark is an excellent STAB combo in Roulettemons, being resisted by only Bellena, Salamalix, and Flabite itself. It can cover Bellena with Ice Beam and the other two + Giranium with HP Fighting. It’s also got a really hefty Special Attack stat to boot. Add the fact that most of the good special walls are weak to one of its STABs and it begins looking a bit overwhelming. Nothing is immune to its STABs, so little is stopping it from spamming Specs Overheat and cooking any and all switch-ins. Its speed is enough for its purposes but holds it back against more offensive teams, and its vulnerability to hazards does too. I feel like I would love this thing if its stats were less optimized, as of now I’m not sure.

Ramron: This mon has some excellent stats. Colossal bulk, good Speed, and an Attack stat that gets boosted to usable levels by Huge Power, hitting the equivalent of base 106 when uninvested and base 137 when fully invested. The thing is that its offensive movepool is pretty mediocre, it lacks recovery, and its typing is mediocre both offensively and defensively. Basically I think this thing will be limited to setting up a hazard, burning the foe, then pivoting out with Parting Shot. Foul Play seems like its most consistent offensive move on such a set. Basically seems like another physically bulky burn spreader, and it lacks unique tricks like Catelax. Not very interesting. I feel like Specyte would be basically dead on arrival if this wins, too. This thing just discourages you from using physical sweepers even more. It would also be our sixth Normal type which is probably too much.

Last edited:

DuoM2

whao
Time for my post...

I honestly didn't think Catelax would be much when I first looked at it because it's just another overly physically bulky wall and not even a good one at that, but it's honestly really interesting because of Octolock. It has to choose between Neutralizing Gas and relying on Substitute to get past Toxic, or the much more convenient Shed Skin at the cost of losing to Baloon. Issue is that many of our defensive Pokemon have ways around this, with Baloon having Heart Swap, Brawnkey with Haze, possibly Giranium with its naturally good SpAtk and so on. It also will probably suck against offensive teams, but I can't see it being completely worthless against either, given the fact that Octolock into U-Turn might end up being a great way of getting something in the back a setup opportunity. I think this is a pretty decent choice, might be a bit underwhelming though.

I think Chimibia is pretty interesting as well. I could see both specially-based mixed sets and fully special Nasty Plot sets working. For its mixed sets, I imagine it'd still be at least somewhat prediction-reliant if the team isn't fully broken down because it's not the kind of mon to outright OHKO bulkier things, but Blue Flare / Earthquake / STABs is fantastic coverage that hits many defensive threats in the meta super effectively. There's still some stuff like Barracoth and Biceon that can take it on pretty easily because they aren't weak to any of those, but for things like that, it could drop Earthquake or Blue Flare and sacrifice its matchup against Giranium and Anteros. Thing seems really scary to deal with for bulkier teams, not sure if it's broken, but it's also worth mentioning that this would be our third Ghost in a row even if it's not a huge deal.

Rampingo's stats look way too similar to Pidgeotine's in terms of having defensive utility as breakers, and that instantly makes me like it a lot less than I would otherwise. A few things make this thing different, though, even if not many. For one, it's a Defogger that probably would need Heavy Duty Boots to do that job because it lacks recovery and its typing isn't the best for the job. It also lacks U-Turn so it can't really pivot like Pidgeotine, but it is a special attacker. Aeroblast + Aura Sphere is really nice coverage in two slots, although its special movepool is extremely limited outside of that. It kinda has to run Sparkling Aria or like HP Dark to hit Voltecta, but even then it's not doing too much and it's probably gonna just get forced out by it a whole bunch. I think this would also lose to SpDef Bellena, Skeleray, and possibly Anteros as well although I haven't run the calcs. Not my favorite pick here.

I'm not a big fan of Flabite. This thing has really good STAB coverage on top of a fantastic stat spread and access to Autotomize alongside its Speed tier. If that's not enough, I think its Speed is literally perfect for a Choice Scarf in this meta, although Specs would also be really good because our meta has very few reliable fire resists, with most of those being taken down pretty easily by an Ice Beam. I think SpDef Gorilax, SpDef Giranium, and SpDef Barracoth are the closest we have to actual counters, but they're not reliable by any means. Giranium has a chance to die to Overheat without any chip at all, Barracoth can't do anything back thanks to Water Absorb, and even then Flabite can just Trick its Specs onto them. While still manageable, this Pokemon seems really strong and I don't like it too much for that reason.

Lastly, we have Ramron. I really think this thing has a cool stat spread for what it is, seems minmaxed in such a way for Huge Power to be perfect on it without being too much. I made a post earlier about why it's probably not going to be too strong that summed up to two things - too many physical walls and no way to hit Steels, but I should mention that that was incorrect because it has Land's Wrath to hit Giranium and Electritar. The first point still stands though, so I don't think it'll be an issue offensively, and I don't think it'll be too overwhelming defensively because it lacks recovery. I think it'd be best as a kind of weird pivot for offense teams, kind of like how some people ran Chansey on offense in Gen 7 but a bit better than that. Has Stealth Rock, Sticky Web, Return, Land's Wrath, and Haze/Heart Swap, as options, possibly Foul Play as well. Parting Shot is a really annoying move for something with this kind of bulk, and one thing that concerns me is that opposing offense teams might really struggle against this thing, it looks fine otherwise.

That's about it! I remembered that I have an old design that would work perfectly for Specyte, so I'm spriting that as well as the edit I'm doing of something I just made for Voltarak and possibly something for Beanium and Lemotic as well. It's safe to say that my art block is over, so expect me to post some artwork within the next few slates. Voting will start tomorrow, so if you have anything else to add to what has already been said, feel free to post before then!

DuoM2

whao
Alright, voting has begun. Other than that though, I finished the Specyte sprite pretty quickly...

Grievenge.png
- I don't have the Shiny yet and this may still get some minor tweaks, but I'm mostly done here. This is a design of one of my first sprites I ever made from scratch (actually for another Pet Mod), but I had to basically redo the whole thing because even the "updated version" I had from two or three years ago had countless issues that needed fixed. I don't know how easy it is to tell, but this thing has a wooden stick for a body and arms (although one of them broke off) and its hand is made of metal like the scythe on is back. Still a pretty simple design but I think I was able to put enough detail into it to make it unique.

As for Voltarak, I'm still not done - I have a design idea in mind but I'm not overly happy with how it's looking so far, so that one specifically might not come out for a while. I'm also kind of on the fence about Beanium but I haven't done any sketches of it yet to see if I like it or not, so I'll have to wait and see how that goes when I get around to drawing it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)