RU Research Week #9: Gothitelle, Braviary, Sawsbuck, Musharna

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Some rules and stuff stolen from Honko :toast:

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Group:
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats, movepool, and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon I choose and/or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Like I said before, feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.
The main point of this is to see how some lesser seen RU pokemon fare in the current metagame. Each research week will actually be 2 one week long stages. In the first stage, you are free to theorymon about the pokemon chosen for Research week and talk about what roles / niches they fill and how they fare in the metagame. The second week, feel free to post logs showcasing how the pokemon fared in standard play and talk about how they did in comparison to expectations etc. This extends to IRC, where you can talk about the pokemon / sets you used in either #rarelyused or #pokemon!

The Research Group Challenge:

In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here or send me a PM with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
This Week's Research Pokemon:

|
|
|

Be Creative!

• To go along with the point system being used for RU Awards, the best posters in this thread will receive points towards the awards.
  • Points will be awarded based on certain criteria. Below, there will be challenges listed for Research Week participants. Points will be given at the discretion of judges. Make sure to make your posts as detailed as possible!​
Challenges

• Create and test a set that effectively uses Torment​
  • Create and test your own set and pick a pokemon you would use it with. Explain how the Gothitelle set you are using helps the other pokemon sweep successfully.​
  • Create and test a set that effectively uses a stat upping move, like Hone Claws or Bulk Up.​
  • Create and test a set that uses Braviary's Sheer Force ability and provide calculations. Explain why Sheer Force is better than Defiant on the set.​
  • Create and test a set that effectively using Grass Whistle.​
  • Create and test a set that effectively utilizes Baton Passing. Include potential Pass recipients.​
  • Create and test a set that effectively Baton Passes boosts. Include potential Pass recipients.​
  • Create and test a support cleric set​
Lastly, remember that these are not the only sets you can test during research week! Feel free to be even more creative than the challenges, and in general just discuss the pokemon!

~Points~
Posting a viable set that completes one of the challenges above - 3 points
Getting in the top 5 on the PS RU ladder with one of the above Pokemon - 2 points
Getting in the top 5 on the PS RU ladder with one of the above Pokemon that meets one of the challenges - 3 points

You can earn more points by getting in the top 5 on the ladder with different, fresh alts using a different research week Pokemon or by completing a different challenge.

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
This looks fun.

Alt: Super Saiyajin

Using all of them except for Musharna.

Posting again after I play at least 20 games with them.

Sawsbuck for sure, but I'm not gonna bother with an alt since the main server doesn't even let me ladder anyway. Might test Braviary and Gothitelle (who I've already used enough...)

I'll try a Musharna set.

Alt: Kai Hiwatari

EDIT: Well, I've been testing out this Musharna set.

Musharna @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SDef
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Swagger
- Psych Up
- Baton Pass

This is my current idea. I'm having some success and some failure, usually trying to Baton Pass to Toxic Orb Zangoose. I'm hoping my results will change as I get more experience with the team I'm using. Other than the fact that it's susceptible to Taunt, does anyone else see any big flaws with this set?

ANOTHER EDIT:

Musharna @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SDef
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Curse
- Charge Beam
- Baton Pass

I'm deciding to try this set, since Swagger depended too much on the opponent, and they may switch and such. This also allows me to get through Taunt with Charge Beam, probably raising my Special Attack, if I decide I want to Baton Pass to a special sweeper or something.

I want to try out 20 battles on a fresh alt, now that I'm more familiar with Musharna and my team. My new alt is Tyson Granger.

FINAL EDIT:

Well, I don't think I had too much success. I'm just gonna stop now, and perhaps participate in the next one. Hopefully with sets that are a tad less gimmicky. :P

Double01

Hate it or love it the under dog's on top
Well I already did get to top 5 with sawsbuck but i'll do it again xd.

Alt: Dearboss

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
okay so, i played 21 matches on the RU ladder with sawsbuck, i won 20 and lost one to hax but thats irrelevant.

Anyways, sawsbuck shouldnt be in PU, or even in NU. Choice Band Sawsbuck is an incredible pokemon in RU, its hits very hard with its base 100 attack, can switch in on the various grass and ghost-type moves in RU, and can even run baton pass to grab momentum like a volturner (double switching out of lilligant is fun!). The set i've been using can be seen below:

DEER GOD (Sawsbuck) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Nature Power
- Horn Leech
- Baton Pass / Megahorn

Sawsbuck can use its many resistances and its ability, sap sipper to come in on an array of Pokemon and proceed to threaten the opposing team. Double-Edge is sawsbuck's strongest STAB move, and grants it quite a few KOes over return (a choice band can only go so far ;_;), and is most likely the move that you will be using most when using this set. Horn Leech is Sawsbuck's secondary STAB attack to hit pokemon such as kabutops, omastar, GATR time, and quagsire. To top it off, its healing effect compliments double edge well, allowing sawsbuck to last longer during the match. Nature Power rounds off sawsbuck's coverage, hitting bulky steels such as escavalier, steelix, Aggron, and klinklang harder than any other move. Baton Pass is a surprisingly useful move on Sawsbuck, with baton pass sawsbuck can grab momentum from the opponent rather easily, forcing pokemon out and giving the user a free oppritunity to switch in a counter to the Pokemon brought in. If you feel you need it, megahorn can be used over baton pass to do mind numbing amounts of damage to tangrowth if you get a sap sipper boost. Return can also be run in the last moveslot to be able to damage all the things double edge hits if you cant afford to take any recoil.

I used my sawsbuck in a simple, but effective FWG core, the offensive core of Swords Dance Kabutops, Subroost Moltres, and Choice Band Sawsbuck is nearly impossible to wall (does ANYTHING wall this? i cant think of something off the top of my head). Sawsbuck can switch in on the many grass attacks thrown at kabutops, feeding off of them and getting a free attack boost, it also gives you a defense against smeargle, a consistently annoying pokemon with access to spore. Kabutops can easily forego waterfall for rapid spin (make sure to name your kabutops blaratops, or else it will always miss stone edge ;_;) to support moltres, and the fact that +2 stone edge/ajet OHKOs every ghost in the tier doesnt exactly hurt either. Kabutops can also revenge things like typhlosion and aerodactyl for sawsbuck. Moltres can come in on many of sawsbuck's checks (steelix, ferroshit, escavalier) and immediately threaten the opposing team with STAB fire blasts and hurricanes, it can also set up a substitute on a predicted switch if needed. In return, Sawsbuck can also come in on lanturn and slowking with ease, giving moltres an easier time in sweeping.

overall, Deer God is 10/10 and should be used more, i may try out swords dance later, but CB is just SOOO good!

deer god, who art in deer heaven, please guide us as the normalest of users through all trials we may face. nudge us to the path of righteousness with your glowing antlers of truth, and trample all evil in our path with your powerful hooves of justice. amen.

EDIT: i laddered a bit more and laddered up to top 5, proof is in the hide tags, also my tabs are 2 gud y/n

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
lol "how to take a screenshot"

EDIT: To be productive, Gothy is mah girl.

That seems like a really fantastic FWG core Molk, I'm gonna definetly have to try that out. I've been using SD Baton Pass Sawsbuck, but your comments on Choice Band have made me want to try it out (although I dont like SubRoost Moltres, might go for the more standard one). Unfortunately I've not been able to get a lot of matches, since I can't go on the main server, but I have been able to challenge players to RU matches on the Kupo server and the 2052 one. Anyway, this is the set that I've been using:

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
Jolly / Sap Sipper
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Return
- Horn Leach

Sawsbuck already has excellent coverage with only his STAB moves; few Pokemon resist the combination, although ones such as Klinklang, Haunter and Driflbim are rare. Escavalier unfortunately isn't...

Anyway, Sawsbuck is an excellent Baton Passer. His weaknesses are: Fighting, Bug, Ice, Poison, Fire, and Flying. Kabutops resists the last four and really appreciates a free SD boost, and if paired with Weak Armor can easily go for an immeidate sweep if the opponent uses a physical move. Aerodactyl is another Pokemon who absolutely loves a SD boost, and, like Kabutops, can come in on four of Sawsbuck's weaknesses. Entei is also an excellent recipient as it can handle Escavalier to a certian extent, can come in on three of Sawsbuck's weaknesses and murder teams at +2. AcroBlimp is also another seriously cool partner, able to come in on Fighting-, Bug- and Poison-type attacks, and can seriously damage opposing teams with +2 Acrobatics. Lastly, I'm in the middle of testing Klinklang with Sawsbuck, and it's going very well as well. It can come in on Flying-, Bug-, Ice- and Poison-type moves, and still easily set up a Shift Gear, reaching +3 Atk and +2 Spe, which really should manage to sweep any team that lacks a Steel-type (for which one can always use Magneton or Gothitelle). Of course, Sawsbuck doesn't neccessarily NEED to Baton Pass, as it's a fine sweeper on its own. It really is a great option though when it runs into Pokemon that walls its STAB moves such as Magneton.

EDIT: molk, you're Substitute Sceptile set murders that core...

august

is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Braviary (M) @ Shell Bell
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Superpower
- Brave Bird
- Bulk Up

You will probably look at this set and die of laughter. Shell Bell? Bulk Up? Yeah, i suppose Shell Bell is a bit gimmicky, but all in all, Bulk Up Braviary is awesome. Since my opponent sees no Lefties recovery as I switch in, Braviary can feign a Choiced set and then proceed to Substitute / Bulk Up and make its already reasonably bulky Substitutes even harder to break. To help mitigate the suicidal nature of Brave Bird, I have been using Shell Bell. Sometimes I think that Leftovers might be a lot better, but I lose a lot of surprise factor that way.

Substitute helps to beat Defensive Cofagrigus that chooses to forego Haze for another support move, as well as being faster than annoying lil Misdreavus. I use this with Spikes support, as +1 Brave Bird OHKOes Nidoqueen after 1 layer. The Speed EVs allow me to outspeed Max Speed Adamant Kabutops and Gallade and smack around both. Being able to hit Kabutops supereffectively helps me keep me Spikes on the field.

The team mates i've used so far are Offensive Accelgor to lay down Spikes and just be a cool mon in general, and Kabutops for Rapid Spin support. Braviary also beats Poliwrath and Tangrowth, 2 premier Kabutops counters. If i can double switch correctly, Braviary can usually get a set up vs both.

EDIT: molk, you're Substitute Sceptile set murders that core...
Sounds like a problem Escavalier can solve

I'll be using Braviary and Musharna.

Braviary alt: FWS

Musharna alt: SFS

If you wonder what the letters mean, just ask in your next post 9.9

alt: AtobeKeigo
Gonna use Grasswhistle + Baton Pass Sawsbuck.

EDIT:

Musharna (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass
- Psychic
- Moonlight

Musharna is a nice Calm Mind passer. It can even do some damage with its STAB Psychic after a couple of Calm Mind boosts. Moonlight makes sure Musharna stays healthy; Synchronize is a nice ability to have if you can predict something like a Thunder Wave, as it could potentially deter their Pokemon. Because most people will attempt to use Dark-type Pokemon to trap or set up on Musharna, good Baton Pass recipients include Pokemon such as Substitute + Charge Beam Magneton, which can easily set up on them. Nidoqueen is also a good recipient since it can take Bug-type attacks easily, not to mention it can decimate the entire tier after a Calm Mind boost. Also, considering people will try to tramp Musharna with Spiritomb, one can just take the Pursuit and Baton Pass out to something like Klinklang. While it may not be helped by the Calm Mind boost, it can use Spiritomb as free set up fodder.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I just got #1 on the PS ladder with a team containing three of the research week Pokemon. Sadly, it doesn't include any of the challenges. :( Strangely enough, I made the team and then noticed that three of the Pokemon were research week Pokemon.

Here is the team:
Code:
Tauros (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Rock Climb
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Spiritomb (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Shadow Sneak
- Sucker Punch
- Trick

Braviary (M) @ Choice Scarf
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Superpower
- U-turn

Sawsbuck @ Leftovers
Trait: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Double-Edge
- Substitute

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Spore
- Explosion

Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Trick
- Thunder Wave
As you can see, it is essentially DragMag but with Normal-types and Spiritomb/Gothitelle as trappers.

august's RMT inspired me to use Tauros, but I couldn't really figure out the point of Zen Headbutt, so I replaced it with Rock Slide to help out against Archeops/Moltres. It is an astounding Pokemon, and I entreat everyone to test it out!

I originally had Cinccino over Spiritomb, but I encountered a bit of trouble with Accelgor and Trick Room Slowking, so I replaced it. Spiritomb helped out a ton with Hitmonlee and gave me a Pokemon that could spinblock. Choice Sucker Punch was a bit of an annoyance at times, but it wasn't overly detrimental to the success of the team. I did consider replacing it with a Blackglasses set (Will-o-Wisp/Sucker Punch/Shadow Sneak/Pursuit), but I never got around to it and I don't think BG Shadow Sneak would have 2HKOed Accelgor or would have provided me with the late-game sweeping potential of CB Shadow Sneak.

Braviary is the first research week Pokemon that I used, so I'll explain why I chose the set I did and talk about how well it performed in RU. I needed a revenge-killer for the team but I didn't want to use something extremely frail. Braviary filled the void in my team with its strong STAB attacks, decent Speed, and access to U-turn. I chose Jolly over Adamant just in case I came up against Jolly Weak Armor Kabutops which would have been a huge threat to my team. Sadly, Braviary loses out to max Speed Accelgor by one point; however, I only encountered one Accelgor out of ~15 that ran absolute max Speed. Overall, I was really impressed with Braviary's ability to check some of the metagame's top threats (Accelgor, Sceptile, etc.).

Everyone and their mother has been raving about CB Sawsbuck, but I took a slightly different approach (a.k.a. I stole the set from MoP). SubSD Sawsbuck can find plenty of opportunities to set up in RU; whether it be against defensive Cofagrigus/Dusknoir/Tangrowth/Smeargle or by forcing out an opposing Pokemon weak to Grass. Although Sawsbuck is frail, it has incredible lasting power due to Horn Leech. It does have some trouble with Escavalier, but Tauros does an excellent job of luring that out and KOing it. I chose Double-Edge over Return because it OHKOs Moltres at +0 after Stealth Rock. Ferroseed isn't really much of an issue because you can set up +6 against it, eventually KO it, and then deal some major damage. It's also incredibly fun to switch into Smeargle's Spore/Whimsicott's Leech Seed/Tangrowth's Sleep Powder/Lilligant's Sleep Powder and go to town.

Smeargle is another Pokemon that I shamelessly stole from august. It performs exactly as he says: it gets up hazards and prevents Kabutops from spinning by Exploding. You can also explode on the switch to Cryogonal and prevent spinning that way. The only problem with Exploding against Kabutops is that it gets +1 Speed due to Weak armor; luckily, CS Braviary essentially always outspeeds +1 Kabutops because the majority of Kabutops in RU use Adamant for the extra power.

Gothitelle is the glue of the team--allowing me to take out most Steel-types that hinder my Normal-spamming strategy. Aggron switches in on Braviary's U-turn? OHKO it with HP Fighting. Klinklang is another major problem for the team, but Gothitelle also helps with that a bit too. I can U-turn from Braviary to Gothitelle on the Klinklang switch-in, Trick as Klinklang uses Shift Gear, and then KO at my leisure. One little trick that I like to use is tricking against a SR lead, whittling down their HP, and tricking my Scarf back. I can then set up SR/Spikes with Smeargle and prevent them from switching back in. Later, I can trick my Scarf onto something else. :) If SR/Spikes are up, you can also trick something into a support move, whittle down its HP, and then switch to another Pokemon on the team for a free set-up opportunity or to gain momentum. The opposing Pokemon will die upon re-entry and you can get your most threatening Pokemon out onto the field for free.

That's about it. The team was really fun to use. It initially went 20-0 and then I got completely screwed by hax which caused me to rage ladder for about 20 battles, pushing my losses up to 4. Those were mainly due to misplays on my part, but a couple were also due to hax. I really liked this team because it didn't rely on low-accuracy moves for power. Everything on the team aside from Tauros has 100% accuracy attacks. I frequently found myself using Earthquake with Tauros just to prevent it from missing, despite the HP cost.

august

OGC Leader
Awesome team Stellar, thank you :toast:

You actually did complete one of the challenge sets, in that you picked a Gothitelle set and used it to remove pokemon for your sweepers.

I am thrilled with how this Research Week is going, keep it up everyone!!

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
In it to win it with Gothitelle!

I used the Specs Gothitelle set and paired it with my favorite Pokemon in the RU tier, Hitmongod.

The Gothitelle set I used was:

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP /252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
-Psychic
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Trick

and the hopefully world-famous Hitmongod:

Hitmonlee @ Liechi Berry
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Adamant Nature
-Endure
-Reversal
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

The purpose of this core is that Gothitelle is specifically tailored to defeat as many of Hitmongod's counters and checks as possible. Hitmonlee has no shortage of power with the Endure+Reversal set, since it sports nearly 600 Attack and Speed plus a 200 Base Power STAB Reversal. However, this power comes at a cost. At 1 HP, even Shuckle's Constrict will take it out in one hit, so Hitmongod needs the opponent's priority users dead and any bulky Psychic/Ghosts either weakened or killed. Gothitelle's moveset is specifically to defeat any bulky Ghosts, Psychics, and priority users like Entei.

The Gothitelle set is a little different than the standard Choice Specs set in that it runs max HP and different moves. Psychic is chosen over Psyshock simply because the former attack is more powerful and Hitmongod doesn't need any Special walls eliminated in order to sweep. Psychic hits Cofagrigus and Tangrowth (who IIRC can take a Reversal if it's taken no prior damage) harder. It also hits Priority users harder, so there's little point in using Psyshock. Shadow Ball is for bulky Psychics and Ghosts such as Uxie, Mesprit, Cofagrigus, Golurk, etc. Thunderbolt is for Aqua Jet users such as Kabutops and Feraligatr, though Psychic hits them hard enough. It's imperative to use 252 HP instead of any Speed investment since even 252 Speed EVs offers little in defeating Hitmongod's checks. 252 HP EVs, however, let Gothitelle survive an Entei Flare Blitz and numerous other attacks, and just makes Gothitelle more durable. Since the Speed doesn't help in support, there's no point in not running maximum bulk. Trick is entirely filler and is only good for Eviolite trolls.

Hitmongod eats teams alive when the things Gothitelle beats are gone. It literally OHKOs everything that doesn't resist it, and it OHKOs many Pokemon that do. The best thing is that Hitmongod's counters don't even need to be taken out. Uxie takes about 50% from a max power Reversal, and Mesprit takes upwards of 65-70%. Cofagrigus might only take a paltry 30% from Earthquake, but combine that with a Gothitelle Shadow Ball and some Stealth Rock damage and Cofagrigus is going to need to purchase a coffin. Get some Stealth Rocks down and some Pursuit support and Hitmongod WILL sweep.

august

OGC Leader
So, how has everyone been doing with Research week? In a few days we will be introducing new Research Week pokemon, so it is your last chance to post experiences / logs / set you have enjoyed using during Research Week!

OK, I have to mention the Gothitelle-Amoonguss team, complimenting each other like nobody's business. Amoonguss switches in (it's quite bulky and has pretty good defensive typing for the more obvious Water and Ground moves in the tier) and Spores whoever's out. Then Gothitelle switches in and has 1 to 3 completely free turns to SubCM. At this point (unless the opponent is a fast Dark-type) Gothitelle can KO the Pokemon. Then do it all again - remember Amoonguss gets Regenerator.

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well this is almost over so I might as well post my findings

Gothitelle @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic

Crawdaunt (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Waterfall
- Crunch

Braviary (M) @ Life Orb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Superpower
- U-turn

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SDef
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Heal Bell
- Volt Switch

Steelix @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 96 Def / 160 SDef / 252 HP
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Roar

This team was based around Braviary, I had used Scarf and Band before settling on a 3 attack set + Roost. Roost was the real deal breaker there as without a Spinner, Braviary was just dying too quickly. With a Life Orb, Braviary is immensely strong. Brave Bird and Superpower were standard and U-turn lets me scout, building a semi volt-turn team alongside Rotom-C and Lanturn. Roost is Braviary's new move from BW2 and is very useful, Braviary has very good natural bulk and forces alot of switches. It also works against Sucker Punch users who think they can take out Braviary. Roost also mitigates Braviary's Stealth Rock weakness meaning I am not reliant on a Rapid Spinner.

To remove Braviary's counters, I decided to use Gothitelle who can easily trap and destroy physical walls such as Steelix. Shadow Ball was used to hit Rotom and Cofagrigus who can wall Braviary. Instead of the standard Choice Specs, I decided to go with Lum Berry instead. It lets me bluff a Choice item as well as letting Gothitelle take on Lilligant, Thunder Wave, Toxic, Scald Burns etc. Toxic let me put bulky stuff such as Alomomola on a timer.

I then decided to get a defensive core that could take on most of the metagame, Lanturn and Steelix were chosen as the former can grab momentum and heal status while the latter was basically there to setup Stealth Rock, check some physical attackers and abuse Sturdy if I misplayed. Lanturn also took on the very popular Moltres and Magmortar. Another good thing about Lanturn is that it basically forces Nidoqueen to use Earth Power meaning I could switch into Braviary and wreck havoc.

Rotom-C was chosen because it is the best Scarfer in the tier.

The last slot was actually first Swords Dance Sawsbuck which is another research week mon. Unfortuntely, it just wasn't fast enough after a boost and easily revenge killed. Then I tried Lilligant and Klinklang before finally settling on Crawdaunt. Pretty standard sweeper that destroys teams if scarfers have been removed. Gothitelle easily traps and kills Poliwrath, Ferroseed, and Tangrowth (Lum Berry for Sleep Powder :)

I found this team to be one of the most reliable i have ever used, probably becuase it doesn't rely on shitty moves like Focus Blast and Fire Blast. A Solid defensive core, scarfer, and sweepers just like any other balanced team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)