RU Team Rating Tournament - Round 2 [Deadline June 3rd]

Status
Not open for further replies.

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Banner by Lax
Approved by IronBullet and Jirachee
OP taken from IronBullet

Hosts: Arifeen, fran17, 49, atomicllamas, FlamingVictini

Welcome to RMT's first RU Team Rating Tournament! In this tournament, we will provide each of you with a team to rate every round. You will then rate the given team and submit it to the Team Raters you are assigned. When the round is over, the participants who submitted the best rates will move on to the next round.

Important notes:
  • Signups will be first come first serve. We're probably looking at a 16-man tournament, maybe more depending on how many people sign up.
  • The rates in the final two rounds will count towards the Team Rater
  • The winner will be awarded voice status in the RMT room on PS if they have shown an interest in getting involved (If you are currently an active voice and win, you may be promoted to driver).
  • Each round will last one week. Failure to rate the team within the one week time period will result in disqualification unless you're able to give us a valid reason. Please only sign up if you can commit to rating one team every week for the next month.
  • If you are eliminated and would like some feedback on your rate and how you can improve going forward, feel free to ask us.
Participants please PM your rate to Arifeen. You have until 23:59 EST on Friday, 3rd June to submit your rate.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here's the team for Round 2. Credits to atomicllamas for making it!

Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Malamar was the Pokemon I decided to build this team around, it serves as a good bulky win con for a semi-stall team that many teams are not prepared for. Knock Off is extremely valuable tool for more defensive teams, wearing down Pokemon
that rely on leftovers for recovery and weakening choiced / LO threats. Max special defense was chosen for the spread because it allows Malamar to deal with plenty of special threats.

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Atk / 80 SpD / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic

Mega Steelix was my next choice for this team, it serves as a good check to most Volt-Turn mons, which can be annoying for Malamar. Additionally it provides rocks and spreads status while also providing good offensive pressure with its dual STABs.

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 120 HP / 120 Def / 232 SpD / 36 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic

Alomomola is an obvious choice for any bulky team, especially one with Steelix, as it can provide recovery to Lix, which otherwise gets worn down too quickly. The speed creep was for speed creeping Jellicent which can otherwise be really annoying for this team, with this spread you can hopefully toxic Jelli before it taunts your mola. A specially defensive spread was chosen in order to allow Alomomola to better deal with opposing Fire-types. While scald is there to spread additional status, especially on Poison-types which are immune to toxic and can annoy Malamar.

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 40 SpD / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Pain Split
- Spikes
- Drain Punch

At this point the team was pretty weak to fighting types (SpD Alomomola is not a fighting resist unfortunately) and Venusaur. This Garbodor spread attempts to deal with both while also setting up spikes. Rocky Helmet + Drain Punch are important for dealing with Scrafty (especially in conjunction with Cofagrigus). Pain Split is nice for relieving the pressure on Alomomola to pass wishes. Rocky Helmet Garbodor also punishes U-turners that enjoy U-turning on Malamar, and absorbs T-spikes, so I can remove those without removing my own hazards.

Flygon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost

This team was moderately weak to both Hazard stack and still Fires, while also being slow. I prefer fast flygon in general over the bulky spread, as it actually deals with Houndoom and Drapion far better. The moves on this are pretty standard so there isn't much to explain there.

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Toxic Spikes
- Pain Split

I wasn't sure what I wanted to end the team with, so I added Cofagrigus which also capitalizes on the status spreading this team focuses on, and also can spread status on things like Spiritomb which can otherwise annoy Malamar. It also makes pokemon that can be annoying for teams like these less threatening thanks to mummy, such as Malamar and Mega Glalie. Wisp and Hex are obvious, pain split is to lessen pressure on Alomomola, and Toxic Spikes because those occasionally 6-0 teams.

feen

control
The best rate of the round was submitted by Chompers, whose rate was a well written one which mitigates most of the problems the team faced. Congratulations!
The team stands out to be a solid and well rounded for what appears to be a bulky offensive team. The biggest problem with the team would have to be the issue of the lack of a hazard remover. The absence of a hazard remover cripples the team as every member doesnt appreciate taking severe damage due to possible hazard stack. This brings me to my first change..

Major Changes:

- >
I would suggest Flygon - > Jellicent. This immediately solves the issue of hazard stack by providing a clean switch in with defog in place and still retains a position of switch ins jellicent, most notability being threatening pokemon like mega camerupt. It gains support from team members via escavalier and granbull to gain momentum and take out serious threats like virizion. It also gives your team some speed control that it very much lacks. The set i would use is a bulky defog set of Roost/Defog/Earthquake/U-turn with an ev spread of 252 hp/252 spe/4 spd. Roost gives it priority of recovery, defog is the main hazard remover, earthquake is your main stab, and u-turn is there to gain momentum. The evs listed give flygon the most speed while also retaining some bulk in hp.

- >
The second change i would suggest is changing Delphox - > Houndoom. Like i said earlier, this team lacks speed control and after houndoom gets knocked out, the team is pressured heavily by sigilyph. Delphox provides stable control with an amazing speed tier and a well rounded typing and moveset to go with it. Delphox is great for revenge killing threatening mons like special virizion, emboar, and venusaur. The set i would use is either Calm Mind/Fire blast/psychic/grass knot which offers great offensive capability with free switch ins to calm mind and hit hard, or a scarf set of Fire blast/Psyshock/Dazzling gleam/Trick. I would prefer the scarf set as it can revenge kill some scary mons that potentially hard the team like fighting types, previously mentioned virizion and venusaur, mega steelix, tyrantrum, and special flygon. The evs i would use for each set would be 252 spa/252 spe/4 spd which are self explainable (and if you dont, they maximize delphox's speed and attacking potential).

Finally, the third change i would make is changing Av Tangrowth - > lo . The reason for this is that while tangrowth stands alone in the defensive field, this current set offers no defensive synergy and leaves tangrowth extremely vulnerable to special attacks. Because of how weak tangrowths special defense is, any nuetral hard hitting attack can leave tangrowth to be 2ko'd like jolteon or houndoom. This can also give tangrowth better stability against water types as some offensive ones like samurott carry ice beam. The set i would go for is a spread of 252 hp / 252 spa / 4 spd with a quiet nature which maximizes tangrowths hp bulk while also maximizing its offensive capabilities. The set i would use is Giga drain / Sludge bomb / Focus blast / Knock off, Giga drain is its main stab and gives it reliable damage and form of recovery, sludge bomb hits grass types and hits nuetral on mons that can switch into it like fletch, focus blast hits steel types that would otherwise wall tangrowth like registeel or mega steelix, and knock off gives a form to knock off an item and can deal good damage to psychic types, especially hoopa.

Minor Changes:

The first minor change i would propose is changing Escavalier's speed to 92 - > 84. This change lets escavalier speed creep aromatisse by not allowing it to set up an annoying wish or aromatherapy and strike back hard with an iron head.

The second minor change i would make is changing Fire punch - > Earthquake on granbull. This lets granbull hit grass pokemon harder like tangrowth and hits super effectively on steel pokemon like escavalier that can wall it. Though this change does lose on the fact that earthquake hits fire types that can wall granbull so look out for that.

Optional Changes:
An optional change is changing rhyperiors current evs to 252 hp / 28 def / 228 spd with adamant nature, this ensures you ko offensive drapion so you can avoid a potential 2ko from aqua tail. This is a very optional change since drapion gets koed by earthquake after rocks, so its up to you if this annoys you really.

Summary:
Defog Flygon > Jellicent
CM or Scarf Delphox > Houndoom
av tangrowth > life orb
esca 92 speed > 84
fire punch granbull > earthquake

The team definitely had problems with hazards, especially Toxic Spikes, as there were no absorbers. Chompers successfully mitigated the problem by adding Defog Flygon. Defog Flygon also provides momentum for the team which allows Escavalier to have safe switchins so it can be more threatening. His next change of Delphox over Houndoom was a good choice, as the team heavily needed Speed control. Delphox also helped revenge kill specially offensive Virizion, Venusaur, and Emboar. Moreover, Calm Mind Delphox can be a terrifying setup sweeper that the team appreciates. Alternatively, to revenge kill more threats, Chompers also suggested Choice Scarf on Delphox, which is good as well. His last major change was using Assault Vest Tangrowth over Life Orb, which makes it a nice sponge to a plethora of attacks in the tier. Water-types looked pretty threatening for the team, and having an Assault Vest meant that Tangrowth could check them better.

His minor changes included having more Speed on Escavalier to creep base 30 Speed Pokemon, and running Fire Punch over Earthquake on Granbull to hit Tangrowth and Escavalier harder. His optional change of Rhyperior's spread to keep it from being 2HKOed by Aqua Tail Drapion is also a solid suggestion. Finally, all these block of text was made better because he gave a neat summary in the end.

Congrats to everyone who have made past Round 1! For those who didn't, thank you for taking part, and if you want any feedback on your rates, feel free to ask us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)