Resource RU Viability Ranking: ORAS Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dugtrio's probably A+ or S tier atm, outside of maybe Alomomola it shapes the way your opponent plays when it's not in the game more than anything else in the tier. Here's the only Dugtrio set you should use atm:

Dugtrio @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Sucker Punch
- Sludge Wave / Memento (this isn't very good but it has niche uses. Stone Edge is aids atm, it hits nothing that you want to hit)

Clicking volt switch? Better think twice. Your heliolisk might be dead next turn. Houndoom and Cobalion and Emboar without scarf can't finish off kills or they get trapped. Thinking about encoring that Swords Dance there, Whimsicott? Now you have to 50/50 me, if you encore the switch to Dugtrio you get ohkoed by Sludge Wave.

For the record, subs is there to dodge Sucker Punches. Sucker Punch has a bunch of utility in trapping low hp pokemon and finishing them off. Sludge Wave is there because Whimsicott owns and the rest of Dugtrio's movepool is bad (don't use Stealth Rock on Dugtrio. Just don't.) so you add something else to the list of scary stuff you trap. Putting a Dugtrio on your team makes the other pokemon on your team better because it creates mindgames on almost every turn and gives them more freedom to act because of the threat of a trap.
I think Aerial Ace could be used instead of sucker punch as it cleanly OHKO's Virizion. Just a suggestion but the Sludge Wave on the Whimsicott is pretty situational though. It can easily destroy Dugtrio with a Giga Drain or two.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I think Aerial Ace could be used instead of sucker punch as it cleanly OHKO's Virizion. Just a suggestion but the Sludge Wave on the Whimsicott is pretty situational though. It can easily destroy Dugtrio with a Giga Drain or two.
Oh yea aerial ace is usable if you struggle with Virizion. Whimsicott is a better pokemon and being able to threaten it with a kill every time it clicks encore makes your set up sweepers so much more deadly since the amount of scenarios where Whimsi can cleanly deny them are greatly reduced. But both attacks are usable.

Moon

Grossly Incandescent
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Dugtrio's probably A+ or S tier atm, outside of maybe Alomomola it shapes the way your opponent plays when it's not in the game more than anything else in the tier. Here's the only Dugtrio set you should use atm:

Dugtrio @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Sucker Punch
- Sludge Wave / Memento (this isn't very good but it has niche uses. Stone Edge is aids atm, it hits nothing that you want to hit)

Clicking volt switch? Better think twice. Your heliolisk might be dead next turn. Houndoom and Cobalion and Emboar without scarf can't finish off kills or they get trapped. Thinking about encoring that Swords Dance there, Whimsicott? Now you have to 50/50 me, if you encore the switch to Dugtrio you get ohkoed by Sludge Wave.

For the record, subs is there to dodge Sucker Punches. Sucker Punch has a bunch of utility in trapping low hp pokemon and finishing them off. Sludge Wave is there because Whimsicott owns and the rest of Dugtrio's movepool is bad (don't use Stealth Rock on Dugtrio. Just don't.) so you add something else to the list of scary stuff you trap. Putting a Dugtrio on your team makes the other pokemon on your team better because it creates mindgames on almost every turn and gives them more freedom to act because of the threat of a trap.
Just want to post to say that I completely agree with this after using dugtrio fairly extensively on ladder. I used aerial ace in the last spot because killing Viriz was nice for my team. But yeah this thing is so good right now and easily allows you to shape the way a game is played out.
Edit: Especially good considering duggy kills so many dark type answers to psychics, (drapion, skuntank, houndoom)

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alrighty, made a few updates :]

Samurott added to B rank
Pinsir added to C rank

I'm going to leave everything else alone for now at least (Gourgeist, Kanga, Heliolisk, Dugtrio, etc)

Giving Samurott a rank *somewhere* on the thread is pretty much a no brainer with Feraligatr gone. Samurott's pretty much a clone of Torrent Feraligatr, who was B+ (except with *slightly* less bulk, speed and power, as well as access to Megahorn), so with no Feraligatr to give it competition for a teamslot, there's really no reason not to give Samurott a similar rank to where Torrent Gatr used to be (i placed it slightly lower for now, but if it proves to be just as good as Torrent Feraligatr proved itself to be, i wouldnt be opposed to placing it in B+).

phantom

Banned deucer.
A- --> A

Pretty good mon in general and lack of Feraligatr is a really nice thing for this Pokemon for a variety of reasons. For one, the best Pokemon in the tier doesn't take advantage of it and uses it as setup bait, and for two, it's a lot easier running defensive teams that this thing does well against. It's also a fantastic check to Houndoom (and almost every Electric-type), which is pretty amazing right now, which leads to my next nom.

A --> A+

Really powerful Pokemon right now. Between its ferocious NP set that's terrifying for stall and access to Sucker Punch and good Speed that lets it hold its own vs more offensive teams, it's just overall very consistent and puts in work in almost every match. Has some pretty cool utility options in Destiny Bond, Taunt, and Pursuit which adds a more supportive feature to this mon. Only thing that holds it from S rank is the lack of bulk in my opinion, but otherwise, this thing is top tier without a doubt.

A+ --> A

Rhyperior is a little too exploitable to be in A+. Two 4x weaknesses take a toll when many Pokemon that Rhyperior should normally beat or have no problems switching in on can employ a random HP or coverage move to rip past it. It's still a good Pokemon, but sometimes losing to the stuff that it's supposed to beat really sucks. It's just way too easy to lure out and beat.

B+ --> A-

An excellent support Pokemon in general and one of the best Stealth Rock users in the tier right now. This thing is very consistent at what it does and is one of the easiest Pokemon to slap on an offensive team. Has a customizable fourth moveslot that allows it to act as a lure or deal with a specific threat the its team is weak to.

B --> B-

This thing is a terrible Defog user due to the fact that it loses to every single relevant Stealth Rock user. In fact, I really can't think of a good Stealth Rock user it can even beat. It's not a bad defensive Pokemon, but the fact that it just flat-out fails at executing its main niche warrants this change.

B --> B+

This on the other hand is an unappreciated Pokemon. It makes for a good Rapid Spin user because it can actually threaten Rhyperior and Mega Steelix. On top of that, it has quite a few defensive merits in being able to beat Swords Dance Mega Abomasnow, Cobalion, and Tyrantrum. Hitmontop is probably the best form of hazard removal for stall teams nowadays so it deserves the bump.

Unranked --> C+

I was the first person to really diss this Pokemon, but a lot of things have changed to actually make it viable and on the same par if not better than Kricketune. Gaining Knock Off + Sticky Web is a great boon because now it can threaten more defensive Pokemon with the threat of item removal just like Kricketune does. There's also the distinct lack of good Defog users, especially ones that can beat it which makes the Taunt advantage not as huge as it was once before. Leavanny's Speed is also very good for it as it can outspeed lead Qwilfish and set up Sticky Web as opposed to being Taunted and denied of it. Access to Leaf Storm also lets it greatly threaten Rhyperior and forcing lead Cobalion into a 50/50 with Magic Coat is great too! Overall, it deserves to be ranked where Kricketune is at the very least. Ironically, it's probably the better Sticky Web user now.

A- --> A

Pretty good mon in general and lack of Feraligatr is a really nice thing for this Pokemon for a variety of reasons. For one, the best Pokemon in the tier doesn't take advantage of it and uses it as setup bait, and for two, it's a lot easier running defensive teams that this thing does well against. It's also a fantastic check to Houndoom (and almost every Electric-type), which is pretty amazing right now, which leads to my next nom.

A --> A+

Really powerful Pokemon right now. Between its ferocious NP set that's terrifying for stall and access to Sucker Punch and good Speed that lets it hold its own vs more offensive teams, it's just overall very consistent and puts in work in almost every match. Has some pretty cool utility options in Destiny Bond, Taunt, and Pursuit which adds a more supportive feature to this mon. Only thing that holds it from S rank is the lack of bulk in my opinion, but otherwise, this thing is top tier without a doubt.

A+ --> A

Rhyperior is a little too exploitable to be in A+. Two 4x weaknesses take a toll when many Pokemon that Rhyperior should normally beat or have no problems switching in on can employ a random HP or coverage move to rip past it. It's still a good Pokemon, but sometimes losing to the stuff that it's supposed to beat really sucks. It's just way too easy to lure out and beat.

B+ --> A-

An excellent support Pokemon in general and one of the best Stealth Rock users in the tier right now. This thing is very consistent at what it does and is one of the easiest Pokemon to slap on an offensive team. Has a customizable fourth moveslot that allows it to act as a lure or deal with a specific threat the its team is weak to.

B --> B-

This thing is a terrible Defog user due to the fact that it loses to every single relevant Stealth Rock user. In fact, I really can't think of a good Stealth Rock user it can even beat. It's not a bad defensive Pokemon, but the fact that it just flat-out fails at executing its main niche warrants this change.

B --> B+

This on the other hand is an unappreciated Pokemon. It makes for a good Rapid Spin user because it can actually threaten Rhyperior and Mega Steelix. On top of that, it has quite a few defensive merits in being able to beat Swords Dance Mega Abomasnow, Cobalion, and Tyrantrum. Hitmontop is probably the best form of hazard removal for stall teams nowadays so it deserves the bump.

Unranked --> C+

I was the first person to really diss this Pokemon, but a lot of things have changed to actually make it viable and on the same par if not better than Kricketune. Gaining Knock Off + Sticky Web is a great boon because now it can threaten more defensive Pokemon with the threat of item removal just like Kricketune does. There's also the distinct lack of good Defog users, especially ones that can beat it which makes the Taunt advantage not as huge as it was once before. Leavanny's Speed is also very good for it as it can outspeed lead Qwilfish and set up Sticky Web as opposed to being Taunted and denied of it. Access to Leaf Storm also lets it greatly threaten Rhyperior and forcing lead Cobalion into a 50/50 with Magic Coat is great too! Overall, it deserves to be ranked where Kricketune is at the very least. Ironically, it's probably the better Sticky Web user now.
Don't forget on stall spin is often more valuable then defog as it doesn't remove you're toxic spikes

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nominating to drop Houndoom to A-

I'm looking at the rankings and at least half the pokemon in A- are better than Houndoom. The demon dog is a niche Pursuit trapper (90 Atk isn't all that) and the nasty plot set is hard pressed to set up due to subpar bulk. A lackluster 95 speed also holds it back, since a good portion of the meta is faster than that (Horses, Durant, Dugtrio, Jolteon) and it doesn't really have any good immunity to priority bar Mega Snow's Ice Shard and Doublade's SSneak (who leaves mega snow or blades in on Houndoom), taking solid hits from Mach Punch, Aqua Jet, and Fletch's Acro. Doesn't deserve the spot its at rn.

Honestly Doom's speed really doesn't hold it back because the mon's Cheek Pouch listed are mostly HO mons and 12% of all of team are HO. Doom is supposed to be a balance/stall breaker and that's a majority of the teams in ORAS RU due to the Pangoro and Moltres bans.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
The demon dog is a niche Pursuit trapper (90 Atk isn't all that)
252+ Atk Choice Band Escavalier Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 152+ Def Cresselia: 102-122 (22.9 - 27.4%)
220 Atk Life Orb Houndoom Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 152+ Def Cresselia: 88-109 (19.8 - 24.5%)
Not even that weak when compared to another Pursuit trapper.
the nasty plot set is hard pressed to set up due to subpar bulk.
As lighthouses said in the post above, Houndoom forces out a lot of stuff and can just set up on the switch.
A lackluster 95 speed also holds it back, since a good portion of the meta is faster than that (Horses, Durant, Dugtrio, Jolteon)
Every Pokemon you named off is incapable of switching into Houndoom. Jolteon takes a huge chunk of damage from Sucker Punch and Jolteon can't even OHKO with Specs Thunderbolt unless Stealth Rock is up. Dugtrio has to bank on Earthquake/Substitute 50/50s to revenge kill Houndoom as Sucker Punch OHKOs Dugtrio.
it doesn't really have any good immunity to priority bar Mega Snow's Ice Shard and Doublade's SSneak (who leaves mega snow or blades in on Houndoom), taking solid hits from Mach Punch, Aqua Jet, and Fletch's Acro.
The only common user of Mach Punch is Hitmonlee. The only good user of Aqua Jet is... Samurott lol. Resisting Shadow Sneak, Ice Shard, and Sucker Punch is actually really good.

You basically ignored all of Houndoom's positive traits and gave a few negative traits that hardly even reflected Houndoom's roles on a team and how it performs those roles.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alrighty, time to make a few updates :]

Mega Camerupt moved up to A rank
Mesprit moved up to A- rank
Houndoom moved up to A+ rank
Rhyperior moved down to A rank
Golbat moved down to B- rank
Hitmontop moved up to B+ rank (fun fact, i actually brought this up during the big update, but a few people were ehhh about it so it was decided that it would stay in B for the time being)
Leavanny added to C+ rank

As usual, if you strongly disagree with any of the changes made, be sure to speak up! Just make sure you have some reasoning when you do so :]

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I definitely agree with people that want to move Dugtrio up, probably A or A+ for me. While its true that Dugtrio is a weak Pokemon, with pretty much no bulk, that only has two redeeming traits, those two traits are so valuable that it is actually probably the hardest Pokemon to account for in team building. Because it has an incredibly useful ability and one of the highest Speed tiers in the tier, it allows you to build a team in a manner where you are incredibly weak to a Pokemon (or three), but as long as they are weak to Dugtrio they can't kill any of your Pokemon or risk being trapped and killed by Dugtrio, which is very troubling if your opponent's wincon is something that can take advantage of this. Nails has made a team (and a couple variations of it) with mono Psychic attacking Reuniclus (Acid Armor / Calm Mind / Psyschock / Recover) with Dugtrio Support which successfully prevents any Dark-type barring Shiftry (a shaky reuniclus check to begin with) from getting a kill throughout the entire match. Dugtrio is extremely useful as it adapts to the meta game so well (because you can't switch into it and can customize it for your teams needs). So I definitely agree with it moving up.

Houndoom should stay A+ as well.

For what its worth I recently played around with webs and I still think that Kricketune is a better web setter than Leavanny, not because taunt is better than magic coat (it still is in every match up barring taunt Cobalion and taunt Houndoom, which Leavanny still loses to cause, >taunt Houndoom (its rare af)). The key difference however, is that Kricketune's access to Endeavor allows it to punish Pokemon attempting to set up on it, as it can Endeavor and then as it dies you can switch to a Pokemon on your team with priority (all webs teams should have this) to pick them off. Idk if its worthy of being a rank above Leavanny, but I think that Kricketune is as good as or better than Leavanny even in a meta game with fewer defog users.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
atomicllamas you forgot Qwilfish as one of the Taunt users, which is by far the most significant matchup difference between Tune and Vanny; Qwilfish completely shuts down Tune but Magic Coat Leavanny easily forces Qwilfish out. Considering the Bugs and Qwilfish commonly face off against each other as leads, this can be huge as it can determine the shift in momentum turn 1. Leavanny's decent Speed also means it isn't exactly forced to lead either, as it may find a chance to set up Webs on something like Meloetta, Shiftry, Tyrantrum, etc.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
atomicllamas you forgot Qwilfish as one of the Taunt users, which is by far the most significant matchup difference between Tune and Vanny; Qwilfish completely shuts down Tune but Magic Coat Leavanny easily forces Qwilfish out. Considering the Bugs and Qwilfish commonly face off against each other as leads, this can be huge as it can determine the shift in momentum turn 1. Leavanny's decent Speed also means it isn't exactly forced to lead either, as it may find a chance to set up Webs on something like Meloetta, Shiftry, Tyrantrum, etc.
True I did forget this, but it also depends on how many speed EVs Qwilfish is running, only Sash HO leads tend to run enough Speed for Jolly Kricket, as defensive sets used on balance teams can't really afford to run that much speed without ending up being too squishy (it takes 184 Speed EVs to reach 252 Speed, or 96 EVs and a Positive nature). I still prefer running Kricketune over Leavanny because Endeavor and Taunt apply more pressure to the opponent than X-Scissor and Magic Coat, but there are definitely match ups where Leavanny is better, I was mostly just saying they should be the same rank as they both excel at different match ups.

For B rank

B- is underselling Omastar's abilities a lot. While it's lead set isn't that effective anymore it's offensive shell smash set on the other hand is really damn good. Not only does it sport good bulk for an offensive poke it this gives it a couple of opprotunities to boost up and clean. And it's actually not easy to wall either especially if you wear bulky waters down which isn't too difficult. Plus even after shell smash's defense drops most priority won't put it down:
252+ Atk Life Orb Hitmonlee Mach Punch vs. -1 0 HP / 4 Def Omastar: 218-260 (77.5 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. Not to mention it resists glalie's ice shard and weak armor only helps it even more if you really on priority to take it out.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
ss omas main selling point was scarf moltres locking itself into fire moves 24/7 and not rly carrying hp grass afterwards. it was one of the best ways for offense to capitalize on that mons presence. with it gone you're not setting up on much tbf. both helio and duggy are as useful as ever, tyrantrum and exploud just nuke the shit out of you, qwil carries either twave or taunt, ppl have realized golbat is overrated af so you lose another mon u could set up on, cress has para and while lee doesnt ko from full, u wont set up wo taking prior damage so rip. also, scarf ant outruns you and so does anything decent with a scarf.

hazard oma lost its main niche of nuking the hell out of gligar so people would rather run qwil or even garbo/accelgor

with that said, no bumping oma imo

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I definitely agree with people that want to move Dugtrio up, probably A or A+ for me. While its true that Dugtrio is a weak Pokemon, with pretty much no bulk, that only has two redeeming traits, those two traits are so valuable that it is actually probably the hardest Pokemon to account for in team building. Because it has an incredibly useful ability and one of the highest Speed tiers in the tier, it allows you to build a team in a manner where you are incredibly weak to a Pokemon (or three), but as long as they are weak to Dugtrio they can't kill any of your Pokemon or risk being trapped and killed by Dugtrio, which is very troubling if your opponent's wincon is something that can take advantage of this. Nails has made a team (and a couple variations of it) with mono Psychic attacking Reuniclus (Acid Armor / Calm Mind / Psyschock / Recover) with Dugtrio Support which successfully prevents any Dark-type barring Shiftry (a shaky reuniclus check to begin with) from getting a kill throughout the entire match. Dugtrio is extremely useful as it adapts to the meta game so well (because you can't switch into it and can customize it for your teams needs). So I definitely agree with it moving up.
I have a fan :o

also it runs psychic for damage vs durant and mega lix, since curse mega lix wins 1v1 if you run psyshock.

REUNICLUS FOR A+ (possibly S?)

its v good in this meta and just rolls over teams once opposing dark types(and a few other mons like esca) are removed. While in theory dark types are a total stop to reuniclus they are easily removed 9 times out of 10 (dugtrio and/or general good play). this coupled with the fact that these dark types cant even seriously hurt reuniclus:

252 Atk Drapion Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 216-254 (50.9 - 59.9%) -- 85.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

228+ Atk Skuntank Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 194-230 (45.7 - 54.2%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Drapion Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 176-210 (41.5 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

so ya reuniclus steamrolls a lot of teams and is super useful for taking scald/ other status and whatnot. Lots of teams arent prepared to 2hko reuniclus esp after it gets a few calm minds under its belt. it also fits in many dif team archetypes like stall, offense, and balance. overall its usefulness on teams ans extremely high sweeping potential warrant a move up on the viablity rankings.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Gotta agree here; firstly Clus sweeps like half the low ladder hehe

but seriously, clus can usually muscle past all of its checks, so it's just a question of the right coverage move being carried for the right check (though Crotomb is a bit of a butt, as is swamp daddy). You can wear down Avest Escav fairly easily as well. I've always used it as my Scald switch-in on stall, it's also just a generally bulky mon that can take a lot of hits and not give a damn about rocks. In general you want to run 2 solid checks to clus, and even then you're not necessarily covered.

It's a bulky wincon with loads of setup opportunities vs. stall whose checks generally have no recovery and who serves as a nice general wall versus offensive teams, what else do you want ?

Edit:

B T W; M-lix + Reun is a boss af core. tanky af on both sides, clus can take scalds and generally bulky waters for lix while lix takes a lot of darks and the steel / bugs. Both strong defensive Pokemon who deal a lot of damage out and pose problems to every teamstyle. Curse + Rest Mlix + clus sounds next level boss but i have yet to try it. I'd go as far to say Clus is one of Mlix's best partners.

tThey are saying that while everyone has their issues with Cress, being bulky and all, Reuniclus is still very viable and good in the current meta.
Right then, thank you for the clarification.

To go along with the current post and prevent this from being a one-liner, I do agree with Reuniclus rising to A+. As stated, it's one of Mega Steelix's best partners due to its excellent type synergy, setting up TR for Mega Steelix and absorbing burns that plague the iron snake thanks to Reuni's Magic Guard. It's got pretty good 110/75/85 bulk and that 125 Special Attack is lethal when setting up. Definitely A+.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Seismitoad: B- to B+

This has such a nice speed tier for a tank, and it can switch into Mega Steelix multiple times throughout the match while surviving the OHKO from Mega Camerupt, which is impressive if you know how many mons in the tier are actually capable of that. It can run Pdef, Spdef, or mixed bulk, depending on your team. On top of that, it has unique coverage in Sludge Bomb, which nails five important Grass types off the top of my head (Whimsicott, Virizion, Rotom-C, Tangrowth, Mega Abomasnow). Also tends to be less prepared for than other Ground-types since Grass-type coverage is usually passed upon, which can help with checking Jolteon, Magneton, and sometimes Heliolisk. Best Water/Ground in the tier right now

Jellicent: B- to B

Jellicent is another Water-type that has improved with Moltres leaving, especially since WoW has gotten a lot better with it gone. It checks Durant really well if it lacks Crunch/Thunder Fang, which is the main reason I'm proposing a rise. Hex can be used to 2HKO Reuniclus and Slowking that think they're cute for soaking up WoW, which can help with some builds. I think there's a lot that can be explored with this 'mon, although I'm not a fan of Taunt on it, since it's slower than some important walls and it doesn't work on Aromatisse.

Hariyama: D to C+/B-

Yes this is a Houndoom check, that goes without saying, but I want to turn attention to a set different from the one used in NU. Rest / Sleep Talk / Force Palm / Knock Off is able to stick around much longer and be more of a nuisance, since nothing wants to switch into a Knock Off and you can't just wear it down, making it a thorn in some tanks' sides. Thick Fat lends fantastic resistances to other things like Mega Glalie, Emboar, and Mega Abomasnow, who can't pick you off with Ice Shard. Overall it's meant to prevent certain things from sweeping you if your team gives them momentum. It also gives some offensive teams a hard time, as Force Palm's para chance can be brutal. I think it's a decent fit in RU at the moment.

Last edited:

Natural Talent

Don't die trying to live..
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Seismitoad: B- to B+

This has such a nice speed tier for a tank, and it can switch into Mega Steelix multiple times throughout the match while surviving the OHKO from Mega Camerupt, which is impressive if you know how many mons in the tier are actually capable of that. It can run Pdef, Spdef, or mixed bulk, depending on your team. On top of that, it has unique coverage in Sludge Bomb, which nails five important Grass types off the top of my head (Whimsicott, Virizion, Rotom-C, Tangrowth, Mega Abomasnow). Also tends to be less prepared for than other Ground-types since Grass-type coverage is usually passed upon, which can help with checking Jolteon, Magneton, and sometimes Heliolisk. Best Water/Ground in the tier right now

Jellicent: B- to B

Jellicent is another Water-type that has improved with Moltres leaving, especially since WoW has gotten a lot better with it gone. It checks Durant really well if it lacks Crunch/Thunder Fang, which is the main reason I'm proposing a rise. Hex can be used to 2HKO Reuniclus and Slowking that think they're cute for soaking up WoW, which can help with some builds. I think there's a lot that can be explored with this 'mon, although I'm not a fan of Taunt on it, since it's slower than some important walls and it doesn't work on Aromatisse.

Hariyama: D to C+/B-

Yes this is a Houndoom check, that goes without saying, but I want to turn attention to a set different from the one used in NU. Rest / Sleep Talk / Force Palm / Knock Off is able to stick around much longer and be more of a nuisance, since nothing wants to switch into a Knock Off and you can't just wear it down, making it a thorn in some tanks' sides. Thick Fat lends fantastic resistances to other things like Mega Glalie, Emboar, and Mega Abomasnow, who can't pick you off with Ice Shard. Overall it's meant to prevent certain things from sweeping you if your team gives them momentum. It also gives some offensive teams a hard time, as Force Palm's para chance can be brutal. I think it's a decent fit in RU at the moment.
Tbh I think that c+ is a little too high for Hariyama since it's only niche is countering only houndoom and glalie because of thick fat. It can't beat aboma due to +2 adamant wood hammer ohking it at full and it can't be KO'd by force palm, emboar still has super power as it's other stab so it's can't really come in on it, also 252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Thick Fat Hariyama: 282-333 (57.3 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery, which means it isn't even a safe switch in. I'd say it's a waste of a Mon slot. It can get set up on by mons like gurdurr , reunicleus Durant ( if lum ,bad talk rolls, or just no para) , doublade, and virizion.

It can't beat common Mons like cress ,hitmonlee , tyrantrum , or whimsicott.

As I have said before it's niche at most and probably unviable on basic teams competitive teams.

Won't oppose to it being C- or C I guess but C+ or B is a little too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)