National Dex Running From My Shadow - Dark (National Dex Monotype)

Giyu

Tomioka
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon

RMT Banners (12).png

:ss/Sableye-Mega: :ss/Mandibuzz: :ss/Tyranitar: :ss/Muk-Alola: :ss/Greninja: :ss/Krookodile:

RMT Banners (13).png

Hello folks! I'm Giyu and this is my third RMT so far, and I definitely wish to make more in the future. This one is a National Dex Monotype RMT which is slightly different from my previous two, which were both Generation 8 Monotype. Running From My Shadow is a Dark-type RMT which I have yet to play a lot with compared to Steel, Ground, or Ghost but enough to make a team I'm comfortable with using regularly. Without further ado, enjoy the team and as always I appreciate any form of advice or critique on the team so I can strive to do better in my battles.

RMT Banners (14).png

:Sableye-Mega:
Sableye provides a Fighting-type immunity which is much needed on Dark-type teams. It's also a very powerful wall.

:Sableye-Mega: :Mandibuzz:
Mandibuzz provides Defog support and is also really nice as a wall that punishes setup sweepers.

:Sableye-Mega: :Mandibuzz: :Tyranitar:
Tyranitar has great special defense and sets entry hazards.

:Sableye-Mega: :Mandibuzz: :Tyranitar: :Muk-Alola:
Muk-Alola has very good special defense and can be annoying with Poison Touch. It can also Knock Off items and Pursuit traps weakened Pokemon.

:Sableye-Mega: :Mandibuzz: :Tyranitar: :Muk-Alola: :Greninja:
Greninja can add the necessary support against Fairy-types with Protean + Gunk Shot and also has a very nice speed tier allowing to outpace a lot
of the meta.

:Sableye-Mega: :Mandibuzz: :Tyranitar: :Muk-Alola: :Greninja: :Krookodile:
Krookodile can be an amazing late game sweeper with Moxie + Choice Scarf and has pretty good coverage with it's four moves.

RMT Banners (15).png

:ss/Sableye-Mega:
1646678587098.png
1646678865341.png

Sableye @ Sablenite :Sablenite:
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
1646678600817.png

- Will-O-Wisp
1646678613866.png

- Recover
1646678618100.png

- Protect
1646678620654.png

Mega Sableye serves as a Fighting-type immunity, wall, status and entry hazard deflector, and utility user. Knock Off allows Mega Sableye to potentially hinder the offensive or defensive capabilities of many Pokemon that rely on their held items, most notably Chansey, Choice Scarf Landorus-Therian, and deffogers with Heavy-Duty Boots. Will-O-Wisp cripples many physical attackers that dare to switch or stay in on Sableye and works in great conjunction with Sableye's base ability Prankster. Recover should be pretty self-explanatory as it's Sableye's most optimal form of recovery. Protect allows Sableye to scout out different movesets and use burn and sand tick damage to wear down Pokemon. I've also used Taunt in this moveslot but I've found that Protect in most cases benefits Sableye more, especially since Mega Sableye already deflects entry hazards and status. 144 Special Defense allows Mega Sableye to live one Earth Power from Nidoking so it can use Knock Off to get rid of the Life Orb, it can then proceed to wall Nidoking permanently. The rest of the EVs left over are then dumped into Defense to increase its capacity as a physical wall.

:ss/Mandibuzz:
1646678627122.png
1646678635048.png

Mandibuzz @ Heavy-Duty Boots :Heavy-Duty Boots:
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
1646678641103.png

- Roost
1646678645584.png

- Defog
1646678647841.png

- U-turn
1646678654988.png

Mandibuzz does a pretty good job with utility support as a defogger and has the very much needed Fighting- and Bug-type neutrality. Foul Play allows Mandibuzz to shut down a lot of the physical setup sweepers and is a good move for just basic damage to potentially wear down Pokemon that have no recovery. Roost should be a pretty obvious addition on a utility Mandibuzz moveset, since it's the best recovery option Mandibuzz has got. Defog removes any entry hazards that can hinder the much needed pivoting on this team. U-turn allows Mandibuzz to deal some damage while pivoting out and if the opponent is faster, the teammate brought in is safe compared to just switching out normally. Heavy-Duty Boots allows Mandibuzz to switch into Stealth Rock without taking any damage to have easier Defog potential. Overcoat was chosen as it's great to have against Grass-type matchups which heavily rely on Spore or Sleep Powder, and it disables sand tick damage from Tyranitar for Mandibuzz letting it wear down opponents easier. 16 Speed EVs are generally just used to outspeed Adamant Belly Drum Azumarill to check it with Foul Play. The rest of the EVs are dumped into Defense to enhance its ability to check physical attackers.

:ss/Tyranitar:
1646678659378.png
1646678668232.png

Tyranitar @ Leftovers :Leftovers:
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
1646678671840.png

- Rock Blast
1646678673676.png

- Earthquake
1646678679591.png

- Thunder Wave
1646678686565.png

Tyranitar plays a huge role in this team as a Stealth Rock setter, Substitute breaker, and just a special tank. Stealth Rock greatly increases the pressure on the opponents field as it can wear them down really fast if they have no hazard control. Rock Blast is really useful for breaking Substitute from Kyurem and Zapdos and prevents PP stalling unlike Rock Slide or Stone Edge. Earthquake is really good in Heatran matchups and just does pretty good neutral damage if Rock Blast is resisted. Thunder Wave can be extremely annoying as it cripples a lot of sweepers and can save you with para-flinches at times. Leftovers just provides Tyranitar with consistent recovery over the turns since it actually has no viable recovery options outside of Rest. Sand Stream over Unnerve should be pretty obvious as it provides more special defense and wears down the opponent. The EV spread chosen makes Tyranitar extremely hard to break with special attackers since sand boosts its wall capabilities even further.

:ss/Muk-Alola:
1646678692278.png
1646678697992.png

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest :Assault Vest:
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Def / 248 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
1646678705206.png

- Poison Jab
1646678710810.png

- Fire Punch
1646678718960.png

- Pursuit
1646678707367.png

Muk-Alola is Dark's best answer to Poison-types, neutrality to Fighting- and Bug-types, and has premier Special Defense. Knock Off allows Muk-Alola to decrease the offensive or defensive potential of many Pokemon. Poison Jab gives this team coverage against Fairy-types and works well in conjunction with Poison Touch which increases the already high chance of poisoning a Pokemon on contact. Fire Punch gives this team coverage against Grass-type matchups, most notably Ferrothorn which can be incredibly bothersome. Pursuit gives Muk-Alola the chance to trap weakened Pokemon giving it the opportunity to get easy faints. Assault Vest greatly increases its potential as a special wall. Poison Touch can make fighting Muk-Alola progressively harder as poison wears down Pokemon with no recover extremely quickly. With 248 HP and 12 Defense EVs Muk-Alola can't get OHKO'd by V-Create from Choice Scarf Victini, even after Stealth Rock damage. The rest of the EVs are dumped into Special Defense to increase its capabilities as a special wall.

:ss/Greninja:
1646678727374.png
1646678871931.png

Greninja @ Expert Belt :Expert Belt:
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
1646678739611.png

- Ice Beam
1646678747002.png

- Gunk Shot
1646678751297.png

- Dark Pulse
1646678755952.png

Greninja is has very impressive coverage and speed making it a really good addition to the team. U-turn allows Greninja to pivot out of situations and even hit some Grass-types that are swapped onto Greninja super-effectively. Ice Beam gives Greninja coverage against Dragon- and Flying-types that are otherwise not that easy to shutdown with this team. Gunk Shot makes Greninja really useful since it's able to check some Fairy-types that are harmful against the rest of the team. Dark Pulse provides good neutral damage as it's almost unresisted and the ability to flinch Pokemon can come in really handy. Expert Belt works greatly in conjuction with Protean as it powers up super-effective moves, it's not as powerful as Life Orb or a Z-Move but there are no drawbacks. Protean allows Greninja to create unfavorable matchups for the opponent. The EV spread chosen maximizes offensive output and speed.

:ss/Krookodile:
1646678762607.png
1646678765992.png

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf :Choice Scarf:
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
1646678772238.png

- Earthquake
1646678777669.png

- Close Combat
1646678785242.png

- Stone Edge
1646678793532.png

Krookodile is a gives this team immunity to Electric-type attacks as both Mandibuzz and Greninja are weak to it and everything else takes neutral damage making it very spammable without Krookodile, it's also very nice to have for late game clean up with it's potential as a sweeper. Knock Off allows Krookodile to decrease the offensive or defensive potential of many Pokemon and does a lot of damage with STAB. Earthquake does quite a bit of damage with STAB and is a powerful move in general. Close Combat gives Krookodile coverage against opposing Dark-type pokemon and Air Balloon Heatran. Stone Edge mainly targets Flying-type Pokemon which otherwise are immune to Earthquake and resist or are neutral to Close Combat. Choice Scarf makes Krookodile a deadly sweeper when combined with Moxie. Moxie progressively makes Krookodile very dangerous when getting kills. The EV spread chosen maximizes Krookodile's capabilities as a physical attacker and speed.

RMT Banners (16).png

I really hope the team was even remotely good since I still have little experience with Dark compared to others. Like I said earlier any feedback is greatly appreciated and will be taken into account. I enjoyed making this team and RMT so I'll definitely be making more as I like to explore the different typings and playstyles. Anyways if you actually read everything I deeply appreciate it hope I see you in the replies with your feedback!

RMT Banners (17).png

Running From My Shadow

RMT Banners (18).png

:ss/Diancie-Mega:

Mega Diancie basically tears this team apart with it's amazing coverage, if Muk-Alola is greatly weakened or Krookodile is fainted, Diancie goes on an unstoppable wrath against this team. Diamond Storm essentially allows it to plow through Muk-Alola and Moonblast for Sableye + Mandibuzz.

:ss/Mawile-Mega:
Mega Mawile has incredible coverage against the team and if Krookodile is weak enough it can potentially go down to a +2 Sucker Punch. Being Steel + Fairy it means Poison Jab from Muk-Alola won't affect it and Fire Punch wouldn't do enough in time since Mawile shreds through Muk-Alola with Play Rough.

Last edited:
Welcome back for RMT #3! Teams looking pretty good but there are some nuances that you could try out to get a bit more out of some of your sets.

:Muk-Alola:
By using Fire Blast over Fire Punch you actually do more damage to Ferrothorns and don't get Iron Barbs damage. This also helps against Alakazam's to pop Sash without dying to Counter.
0 Atk Muk-Alola Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 136-164 (38.6 - 46.5%)
0 SpA Muk-Alola Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 200-236 (56.8 - 67%)
:Greninja:
Typically if you run Gunk Shot you run Scarf to outspeed Scarf Bulu and Tapu Koko, but non Scarf works as well. If you don't want Choice Scarf, I'd suggest dropping U-turn for either Dig or Grass Knot and use the respective Z crystal. Dig helps beat Poison, Grass Knot helps beat Water, specifically Rotom-Wash. I'd also drop Dark Pulse for either HP Fire or HP Electric depending on which types you struggle with more (Steel or Water/Flying).

:Krookodile:
If you're going to keep Krookodile as your Choice Scarf user, I'd actually suggest dropping Knock Off for Darkest Lariat. The reason is because 3 other teammates already have Knock Off and if Krookodile is a late game sweeper, Knock Off would only have 60 BP rather than 80 of Darkest Lariat.

:Weavile:
Depending on the choices on Greninja, you could replace Krookodile with Weavile as a way to hit Flying much more aggressively. It can work with Choice Band, Choice Scarf, Swords Dance + Heavy-Duty Boots or Swords Dance + Z. A good Z option is Psycho Cut to effectively OHKO Toxapex or Venusaur-Mega.

:Tyranitar:
Just a note here is that if you want more coverage against Fairy, Heavy Slam is a great coverage option instead of Earthquake. Both are good choices.

:Choice Scarf:
One other note is that because of how solid Dark's defensive core is, you could run a team without any Choice Scarf users which opens up more possibilities for sets.

Overall a solid composition and should perform quite well. With these minor changes and considerations you can figure out how to fine tune the team to be as effective as possible for you as the meta shifts and changes. Below are both Krookodile and Weavile comps for you to take a look at.

:Sableye-Mega::Mandibuzz::Tyranitar::Muk-Alola::Greninja::Krookodile:
:Sableye-Mega::Mandibuzz::Tyranitar::Muk-Alola::Greninja::Weavile:

Last edited:

Giyu

Tomioka
Welcome back for RMT #3! Teams looking pretty good but there are some nuances that you could try out to get a bit more out of some of your sets.

:Muk-Alola:
By using Fire Blast over Fire Punch you actually do more damage to Ferrothorns and don't get Iron Barbs damage. This also helps against Alakazam's to pop Sash without dying to Counter.

:Greninja:
Typically if you run Gunk Shot you run Scarf to outspeed Scarf Bulu and Tapu Koko, but non Scarf works as well. If you don't want Choice Scarf, I'd suggest dropping U-turn for either Dig or Grass Knot and use the respective Z crystal. Dig helps beat Poison, Grass Knot helps beat Water, specifically Rotom-Wash. I'd also drop Dark Pulse for either HP Fire or HP Electric depending on which types you struggle with more (Steel or Water/Flying).

:Krookodile:
If you're going to keep Krookodile as your Choice Scarf user, I'd actually suggest dropping Knock Off for Darkest Lariat. The reason is because 3 other teammates already have Knock Off and if Krookodile is a late game sweeper, Knock Off would only have 60 BP rather than 80 of Darkest Lariat.

:Weavile:
Depending on the choices on Greninja, you could replace Krookodile with Weavile as a way to hit Flying much more aggressively. It can work with Choice Band, Choice Scarf, Swords Dance + Heavy-Duty Boots or Swords Dance + Z. A good Z option is Psycho Cut to effectively OHKO Toxapex or Venusaur-Mega.

:Tyranitar:
Just a note here is that if you want more coverage against Fairy, Heavy Slam is a great coverage option instead of Earthquake. Both are good choices.

:Choice Scarf:
One other note is that because of how solid Dark's defensive core is, you could run a team without any Choice Scarf users which opens up more possibilities for sets.

Overall a solid composition and should perform quite well. With these minor changes and considerations you can figure out how to fine tune the team to be as effective as possible for you as the meta shifts and changes. Below are both Krookodile and Weavile comps for you to take a look at.

:Sableye-Mega::Mandibuzz::Tyranitar::Muk-Alola::Greninja::Krookodile:
:Sableye-Mega::Mandibuzz::Tyranitar::Muk-Alola::Greninja::Weavile:
It's you again! Thanks again for the feedback, I deeply appreciate it. I was also exploring Zarude and I've seen it used quite a few times so I was wondering if it's any good in a composition like this?

It's you again! Thanks again for the feedback, I deeply appreciate it. I was also exploring Zarude and I've seen it used quite a few times so I was wondering if it's any good in a composition like this?
Zarude is also a great option. Dark has a lot of flexibility so that last slot can change as you want depending on what types you expect to face. Zarude is great against Water, among others.

I updated the post to have correct links.

Giyu

Tomioka
Zarude is also a great option. Dark has a lot of flexibility so that last slot can change as you want depending on what types you expect to face. Zarude is great against Water, among others.

I updated the post to have correct links.
Also Icicle Crash over Triple Axel?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)