SM OU Rupture. — M-Camerupt Wallbreak

Rupture.

Introduction

Round 2! Starting a streak of uncommon Megas in OU, here's a Mega Camerupt team that looks pretty similar to my previous M-Sharp team, but plays a lot differently. The two play really different to each other! And I think the contrasts are a really good way to learn how different kinds of teams work. As opposed to the whittle-down and sweep sort of style, M-Camel is much more about prediction in the early game and knocking out key threats in advance.

I'm quite iffy about the last two slots (Jirachi and Landorus-T), but all suggestions are welcome as always, and I'll try to update the main post as the suggestions come in. :)

Team Development

Sharpedo is my favorite 'mon, but Camerupt is its version-exclusive counterpart, and fills an opposite role. Camerupt tears humongous holes into things that even resist it, if a bit inconsistently. The list of things that aren't 2HKO'd by its pretty astounding coverage (especially with nature power + terrain support) is pretty short, and fire blast is so strong that it's in fact pretty easy to knock mons out with its other, more consistent moves after the first one. Grassy Terrain also reduces Ground-type moves' potency, which eliminates the most common counter to Fire-types like Camerupt, EQ, and leaves it with only one weakness: Water! The synergy between Camel + Bulu is probably only rivaled by Shark + Lele. :)

Speaking of Camel + Bulu . . . People don't expect the Choice Band on this thing, but this also similarly tears giant holes into things that don't expect it with the STAB- and Terrain-boosted Wood Hammers. You basically want to aim to get either Camerupt or Bulu out as soon as possible and start nuking 'mons left and right, and the Grassy Terrain + Horn Leech help keep Bulu sustainable.

The other core that forms the basis for this team is Celepex, which is way more common than CamelBulu. Especially if your opponent is in it for the long hall, Toxapex and Celesteela let you keep up with them in the stall game and also help rack up some passive damage in so that the first two sweepers have an easier time at it.

Celesteela also helps take care of a lot of 'mons that would give both Camerupt and Tapu Bulu trouble, like Kartana, Pinsir, and fast Fairy-types. Celesteela completely walls most of those threats and can knock 'em out pretty easily as well.

Just in case you lose either of the CelePex core, though, a Scarf'd Jirachi serves as a really good revenge killer. This is the one I'm most iffy about; thinking about swapping with something like a Kartana or even repurposing Landorus-T into this role. Open to suggestions! Even something like a Scarf Tyranitar might also work.

Aaaaand the classic Landorus-T lead. You've seen this thing before, it's one of the most reliable SR setters in this tier, if only because the only thing that seems to beat Landorus-T for that are other Landorus-T, lol. It really seems super repetitive to have both this and Camerupt, though.

In-Depth

|
|
|
|
|

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
Nature: Modest
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Moves: Yawn | Fire Blast | Earth Power | Nature Power

Your first thought might be "Jeez Louise, why would you ever run Speed on Camerupt?" But this lets you OHKO the super common Toxapex switch-in after SR from Landorus. Yawn is a really good predict move that lets you put to sleep other potential checks like Lati@s on the switch and then nuke the likely switch back. Solid Rock is also a really, REALLY good ability that lets you send the un-Mega'd Camerupt into things that you'd normally be relatively afraid to, namely Water-type attacks. The only non-rain common Pokemon that serves as a counter to Camerupt is a non-scarf Greninja, who has to rely on the relatively inconsistent Hydro Pump anyway, and has to deal with the Energy Ball if Grassy Terrain is up and the Bulu switch otherwise.

|
|
|
|
|

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk | 4 Def | 252 Spe
Moves: Wood Hammer | Horn Leech | Superpower | Zen Headbutt

Bulu's Wood Hammer ROCKS MY WORLD. ;) Band is taken over the more common AV to keep up with the tempo that you're trying to generate with the crazy-coverage nuclear warhead that is M-Camel. Seriously, Wood Hammer plows into most things that even resist it. Unlike with SharkLele where you usually want to send Shark out as late as possible into the game, with a team like this you're more often than not gonna have Bulu leftover after Camel is spent; Horn Leech lets you retain that longevity.

|
|
|
|
|

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP | 252 Def | 4 SpD
Moves: Scald | Toxic | Haze | Recover

Also covering for Camerupt's sad Water-type weakness is Toxapex, which acts as a nice Toxic/Toxic Spikes sponge and begins the CelePex core. Especially with Grassy Terrain, the regen is ridiculous and acts as double synergy with the offensive core of this team.

|
|
|
|
|

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 248 HP | 104 Def | 156 SpD
Moves: Leech Seed | Protect | Heavy Slam | Flamethrower

Celesteela also plays for the long haul with Leech Seed and Protect, and also provides good removal for troublesome Fairy-types that this team runs into, like opposing Tapus and Magearna. Plus, Camerupt serves as really good bait and switch for the electric attacks that this 'mon draws in.

|
|
|
|
|

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk | 4 SpD | 252 Spe
Moves: Iron Head | U-turn | Fire Punch | Healing Wish

Going with the longevity theme here, I chose Jirachi for my revenge killer slot because the extra-fast Healing Wish potentially gives a new lease on life on Camerupt or Bulu, both of which are susceptible to being whittled down early in the game by the nature of the team's playstyle. It's relatively uncommon to see the Scarf set, too.
|
|
|
|
|

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP | 240 Def | 16 Spe
Moves: Stealth Rock | Earthquake | Hidden Power [Ice] | U-turn

I mean, it's only the best 'mon in all of OU. Really reliable SRs, which are pretty important for Camel to hit the major break points for a lot of walls that it can potentially OHKO.

Conclusion

Hope to God that you don't roll into a rain team! :) I'm really looking for an Electric-type to fit into the team somehow to mitigate that weakness, so all suggestions are welcome.

Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Nature Power
- Yawn

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Zen Headbutt

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Haze
- Recover

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- Fire Punch

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hi lamojeru, very nice team. M-Camerupt is a very cool pokemon in the current meta. Fire + Ground STAB hits alot of common mons apart from the M-Latis of course, but even they won't appreciate a Modest Fire Blast.

The team has a few weaknesses that I noticed, so I'll go over them and suggest changes to help improve the team.

Threats to the team:

485.png: With Magma Storm + Earth Power, Heatran can threaten the whole team super effectively, apart from Landorus who can't switch in more than once anyway. Toxapex and M-Camerupt are both trapped and beaten by Earth Power, and even if Toxapex lives it can't do much back and might get taunted to prevent recovery.

279.png260-m.png: As you mentioned, rain teams are quite annoying to deal with. M-Swampert in rain can run through most of the team. Hitting Bulu with Ice Punch, Toxapex with Earthquake, and the rest with Waterfall. Ash-Greninja can also be a threat under the rain if it has Ice Beam, especially if hazards are up.

Major Changes

718.png> 645-s.png: Firstly, I suggest using Zygarde over Landorus. This gives you a reliable switch-in to Heatran as the set I'm suggesting is the SpDef RestTalk set which has started seeing usage recently. The spread allows you to take a Flash Cannon into Corkscrew Crash from Modest Heatran after rocks, which is another recently popular set. 32 speed allows it to outspeed the M-Latis after a Dragon Dance, so it can act as a late-game sweeper once M-Camerupt has broken through its common answers.

798.png> 385.png: Due to rain being a problem for the team I suggest using scarf Kartana over Jirachi. It has a better matchup against the common rain and HO teams that are seen on the ladder, making it a decent pick. Paired with Grassy Terrain it can become a terrifying sweeper with Beast Boost. It also gives you emergency Defog if there are too many hazards up on your side. You do lose the ability to U-turn and Healing Wish, but the Utility of Knock Off and the power of Leaf Blade under the terrain makes up for that.

Minor Changes

323-m.pngStealth Rock > Yawn: Since I removed your Landorus I decided using Camerupt as the rock setter would be the best option. Yawn is certainly a cool tech, but Stealth Rock is too good to give up. Camerupt also forces out Tornadus and Zapdos, two of the common defog users.

787.pnggrassiumz.png> choiceband.png| SpDef SD > Offensive: On Tapu Bulu I suggest running a bulkier set with Swords Dance and Synthesis. This set allows you to switch into mons like Ash-Greninja and Tapu Koko reliably while also acting as a balance breaker that takes on CM Reuniclus and Clefable. +2 Horn Leech does alot to these while allowing you to stay healthy, and Bloom Doom allows you to OHKO them after a Swords Dance. Superpower is coverage for Heatran and Ferrothorn. The speed is to outspeed standard Tyranitar.

748.pngpayapaberry.png> blacksludge.png| Spread change: Lastly, on Toxapex I suggest running Payapa berry, this allows you to take on Volcarona better if they're running Psychium Z. It also allows you to take a hit from M-Medicham, Tapu Lele and M-Latios so you can Toxic them and make them easier to deal with. The spread has more SpDef, to take on Volcarona and Greninja better while also taking a HJK + Zen Headbutt from M-Medicham.

~~~~

This was a very fun team to rate and hopefully you find these changes helpful. Below I'll leave the importable along with a couple of things to be careful of.
472.png: Swords Dance Gliscor can be annoying for the team if Tapu Bulu has been weakened and is in range of a boosted Facade/Ice Fang. Celesteela can Leech Seed it, but thanks to Poison Heal it can stay healthy and keep setting up, being hard to kill.

308-m.png: M-Medicham can be hard to switch into due to its power and coverage. Toxapex can live a hit thanks to its berry and Kartana can revenge-kill. But a well played Medicham can probably get atleast 2 kills.

Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Nature Power
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 188 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Synthesis

Toxapex @ Payapa Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off
- Defog

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 236 HP / 68 Atk / 4 Def / 168 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

HCJB

Banned deucer.
Nice team, and I can see the balance and general playability inside the flaws you mentioned, but do you have any replays? I think it's nice, especially when you're doing something a bit more unusual conceptually (i.e. running M-Camerupt), to have some replays to see how it's playing against top viability threats and team archetypes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)