SS OU Salacwole VoltTurn Hyper Offense

With Crown Tundra dropping this week, Swole Lord himself returns to the meta, and boy have I had a lot of fun playing with him. This is a Hyper Offense team that has so far gotten me up into the 1500s, and while that isn't particularly special I do love this team, and how it's shaped to be. I wanted to make a team that doesn't include any of those overpowered unbans like Naganadel, Pheramosa, Kyurem-B.

TEAM BREAKDOWN

Buzzwole @ Salac Berry
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Endure
- Leech Life
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

The team leader Swole, running a very oddball set. Buzzwole since it came out in Gen 7 has been one of the most enjoyable mons for me to play, and it continues to shine with its great physical bulk normally letting it run Bulk Up + 3 Attacks and sweep teams after a special attacker falls, but this set works a little differently. Endure + Salac Berry was something I started playing around with because I noticed at max speed +1, Buzzwole outspeeds Dragapult, and boy does it do the job well. Using Endure to get down to 1 HP, then proceeding to outspeed and kill many new opponents lets Buzzwole essentially gain a Dragon Dance boost with Beast Boost increasing its attack aswell. With these new boosts it can now outspeed and OHKO a previous check in the form of Tapu Lele. Overall a welcome member to the team, and a great setup sweeper if you can put yourself in the right scenario, but doesn't always need the boosts to be useful.
Calcs:
( +1 252 Atk Buzzwole Leech Life vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 262-309 (93.2 - 109.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock )
( +1 252 Atk Buzzwole Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 328-386 (103.4 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO )
( 252 Atk Buzzwole Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 68 Def Landorus-Therian: 348-412 (109 - 129.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO )
( +1 252 Atk Buzzwole Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 698-824 (97.7 - 115.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO )

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Flip Turn

Two fighting types back to back as Keldeo is up next. Back in Gen 7 one of Buzzwole's greatest teammates was Gren, but with Gren not available Keldeo does the job. Keldeo acts as a special wallbreaker that can come in and dispose of larger walls like Hippowdon, who completely walls Buzzwole even with Ice Punch, but one swift Hydro Pump can take care of that pesky hippo. Secret Sword and Icy Wind are good coverage moves, with Icy Wind also giving the opponent or incoming switch -1 speed, which could be useful on your next switch. Flip Turn was added this generation, and means Keldeo can also pivot at will! With it having a pretty good speed tier, being able to pivot on switches makes Keldeo just that much more useful, and could turn the tides of a match.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

The return of the king of OU, Landorus-T. Landorus acts as speed control, as with Regieleki running havoc in the meta, and other faster threats as Dragapult and Cinderace. Scarf Lando has been a staple set of his for a long time, but without HP Ice, this cripples his capabilities slightly, but no worries. EQ is the obvious STAB move, while Stone Edge and Knock Off provide nice coverage, while Knock Off could also be used on a switch-in to get rid of Choice Scarfs on Genesects, or Life Orb on Lando-I. U-turn is the obvious pivot move that all Landos should be running to keep the momentum flowing, and continuing to provide opportunities for Buzzwole to come in.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch

Ok I know I said no OP unbans, but to be fair Mag is a lot less potent with all the legends back in the rotation, and I believe has a chance to stick around this time. Now I needed a mon that could eat hits, and dish it back, and nobody fits the bill better than AV Magearna. There really isnt a special mon out there that can OHKO this thing without boosts, as even Sheer Force Life Orb Lando-I cant do the job with Earth Power, and thats with minimal SpDef investments. Magearna is just a good mon to pivot in and out of to soak up hits you wouldn't want the rest of the team taking. Fleur Cannon and Flash Cannon being good STABs, while Ice Beam and Volt Switch provide coverage and pivoting abilities to even further help Buzzwole. Overall still a great AV user as it always was.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

Ah yes, the combo of MagTran returns. Heatran like Magearna just soaks up hits, and dishes it back while supporting Magearna and Buzzwole with Flash Fire. Although CC is much more common in the meta now with TR's being a thing, Heatran still finds a way to be useful, as with full HP investments it can still bulk up a lot of hits. The moveset was the hardest choice for me, but Stealth Rock + 3 Attacks seemed the most logical, as although I did consider Taunt and Toxic, I believe having the second STAB with Flash Cannon can be useful to take down Dragons that resist your Lava Plume, and tank Earth Power too well, and especially Clefable, who has been running this meta since SS dropped.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn

A defogger is important to any OU team, and Mandibuzz not only fits that perfectly, but also provides another flying type to stop EQ in case Lando falls. Gen 8 saw Mandibuzz spike in activity, and even with Tornadus back, I still think Mandibuzz could keep its spot in OU with Foul Play. Foul Play can take care of things like Garchomp, who at +2 still can't OHKO with Stone Edge, while Foul Play takes advantage of that +2 to destroy Garchomp, but even if it doesn't play a critical role in taking down physical sweepers, it still provides a little more bulk to eat physical hits instead of letting Buzzwole take all the heat. Other than Foul Play, it still just provides the normal Defog + Roost + U-turn combo, making 4 pivots on this team that can all work together to get Buzzwole in cleanly.

( +2 252 Atk Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 304-358 (71.8 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO )
( +2 252 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 324-382 (90.7 - 107%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock )

WEAKNESSES:

Lack of Priority: What I would say is this teams biggest downfall is the fact that there is no priority moves on this team unless you want to count Endure. Without any priority, this team isn't the best at revenge killing, but it can with Scarf Lando or Buzzwole if its a physical attacker.

Koko-Eleki: You have no understanding of how much I despise this combo right now. This is all I need to say:
( 252+ SpA Choice Specs Transistor Regieleki Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4+ SpD Assault Vest Magearna in Electric Terrain: 330-388 (90.6 - 106.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock )
kill me

Chip Damage:
This applies specifically to Buzzwole, as if he is Burned, Poisoned, or under Hazardous Weather, the entire strat becomes instantly worthless. With Endure bringing him down to 1HP, the chip damage will kill him at the end of the turn. Thats not to say Buzzwole can't do damage without it, but losing the opportunity to perform a sweep because sandstorm is up makes me sad.

I love any input on this team, and if you find any way I could improve this please let me know. I love this team dynamic, and want to try and take it to the 1700s for my first time, and I think this is the team that could pull it off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)