Salamence and His Sweeping Partners

I've wanted to do a team based around DD Salamence for quite a while. I want to know what to do to make this team better. Changes in Red

Azelf@Light Clay
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
Moves:
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Stealth Rock
-Taunt

Azelf is my lead. It can set up dual screens to protect my Pokemon from excessive damage. Stealth Rock is obviously to damage opponent's Pokemon when they come in. Taunt keeps opposing Pokemon such as Swampert, Metagross, and Roserade from setting up entry hazards.

Salamence@Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Moves:
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance
-Roost

Salamence is the head of my team. I've always wanted to make a team based around him. I prefer a Naughty nature due to the power and 2HKOs I can get that a Naive nature can't give me. Outrage is for a powerful STAB attack and Earthquake is for KOing Steel-types that Outrage can't hurt signifigantly. Roost is for increased longevity.

Scizor@Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Technician
EVs: 152 HP/252 Atk/106 Sp.Def
Moves:
-Bullet Punch
-U-turn
-Superpower
-Pursuit

Scizor is my revenge killer. He can switch into attacks from Latias aimed at Salamence and retaliate with Pursuits or U-turns. Bullet Punch is for priority as well as a powerful STAB attack that is usually his primary attack move. Superpower is that powerful move that I just need to take care of annoying Steel-types that want to wall my fun. New EV spread for increased power.

Magnezone@Choice Scarf
Nature: Naive
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Atk/252 Sp.Atk/252 Spe
Moves:
-Thunderbolt
-Explosion
-Hidden Power Fire
-Flash Cannon

Magnezone is Salamence's best partner, being able to annihilate those obnoxious Steels that want to wall Salamence's sweeping. Thunderbolt is for a STAB attack that can KO Skarmory and hurt other Pokemon. Explosion can be used as a way to take out the ever annoying Blissey and other Pokes that have received previous damage. Hidden Power Grass is used to take out Swampert and Hippowdon, who might otherwise wall this set. Substitute is for protecting Magnezone from status as he does his job. Choice Scarf set used for use with Flash Cannon and HP Fire.

Infernape@Life Orb
Nature: Naive
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 64 Atk/252 Sp.Atk/192 Spe
Moves:
-Fire Blast
-Close Combat
-Grass Knot
-Nasty Plot

Infernape is one of the best wall breakers in the game. After a Nasty Plot boost, he even has the chance the OHKO opposing Salamences. Fire Blast is for a powerful STAB attack that can even leave a burn if it doesn't KO the opponent. Close Combat KOs Blissey and Grass Knot takes out Swampert.

Latias@Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Moves:
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-U-turn

This spot used to be held by Latias, but I had a Pursuit weakness. I then found Flygon and the rest is history. His typing keeps him safe from Electric-type attacks. He is another revenge killer, but he has the ability to U-turn to another Pokemon waiting. Outrage is for STAB attack that KOs DD dragons. Earthquake is for another STAB that eliminates Steel-types. Stone Edge annihilates Gyarados.

Threat List: Possibly coming.

Hello Epicmusicfan!

I like the look of this team as of now, but I think that I can make it better.

Azelf: Nothing particularly wrong with this set, but Light Screen isn't exactly an item. Light Clay increases the duration of Light Screen and Reflect by three turns, bumping them into a substantial eight. I think that was what you were looking for.

Salamence: As far as I can tell, Salamence is your main sweeper and is the star of your team. I understand the amount of power that a Naughty nature provides, however, it is desirable to outspeed certain nagging threats, such as Timid Zapdos (often carrying Hidden Power Ice), Timid Roserade, and 216 Speed Timid Gliscor (quite common, carrying Stone Edge 17.5% of the time). In addition, I cannot see Fire Blast as being useful, as the pokemon it hits are already countered by both magnezone and Infernape. I would recommend you try this set:

Salamence @ Life Orb
Naive: 80Atk/176Sp.Atk/252Speed
Draco Meteor / Outrage / Earthquake / Dragon Dance

This is a fairly uncommon Salamence set. The purpose is to Dragon dance on the first turn, while using the appropriate move the next. In exchange for power on Outrages and Earthquakes, this Salamence invests heavily into Special Attack. This allows Salamence to fire off attacks against dominant physical walls who expect the Roostmence Set. In addition, Draco Meteor allows Salamence to scout for a potential counter, while keeping move choice (instead of being locked onto Outrage). This set has the potential of turning Infernape into a powerful force, allowing him to come in on this set's two counters, Levitate Bronzong and Skarmory, and set up.

Scizor:
I used to run a similar set on my Scizor, in order to take LO Hydro Pumps from Starmie, Surfs from Latias, and to an extent Earth Powers from Scarftrans. However, I did not add the four Speed Evs. I fully understand why you did it, to Outspeed opposing Scizor. In reality, this actually helps you lose 1 on 1 vs. opposing Scizor. Assuming you both use Superpower, the second Scizor will be able to reap the benefits of a -1 Defense. Might I suggest a Simpler Set? 152Hp/252Atk./104Sp.def. This set takes 70.8%~83.7% from a LO Timid Hydro Pump from Starmie, allowing you to take the hit, and ensure a KO back with Pursuit. This will help you a ton, as Latias and Infernape absolutely hate LO Ice Beam and Hydro Pump, respectively. This new set enables you to maximize your damage output, while maintaining your goal of remaining specially bulky enough to live through a LO Starmie Hydro Pump.

Hello Epicmusicfan!

I like the look of this team as of now, but I think that I can make it better.

Azelf: Nothing particularly wrong with this set, but Light Screen isn't exactly an item. Light Clay increases the duration of Light Screen and Reflect by three turns, bumping them into a substantial eight. I think that was what you were looking for.

Salamence: As far as I can tell, Salamence is your main sweeper and is the star of your team. I understand the amount of power that a Naughty nature provides, however, it is desirable to outspeed certain nagging threats, such as Timid Zapdos (often carrying Hidden Power Ice), Timid Roserade, and 216 Speed Timid Gliscor (quite common, carrying Stone Edge 17.5% of the time). In addition, I cannot see Fire Blast as being useful, as the pokemon it hits are already countered by both magnezone and Infernape. I would recommend you try this set:

Salamence @ Life Orb
Naive: 80Atk/176Sp.Atk/252Speed
Draco Meteor / Outrage / Earthquake / Dragon Dance

This is a fairly uncommon Salamence set. The purpose is to Dragon dance on the first turn, while using the appropriate move the next. In exchange for power on Outrages and Earthquakes, this Salamence invests heavily into Special Attack. This allows Salamence to fire off attacks against dominant physical walls who expect the Roostmence Set. In addition, Draco Meteor allows Salamence to scout for a potential counter, while keeping move choice (instead of being locked onto Outrage). This set has the potential of turning Infernape into a powerful force, allowing him to come in on this set's two counters, Levitate Bronzong and Skarmory, and set up.

Scizor:
I used to run a similar set on my Scizor, in order to take LO Hydro Pumps from Starmie, Surfs from Latias, and to an extent Earth Powers from Scarftrans. However, I did not add the four Speed Evs. I fully understand why you did it, to Outspeed opposing Scizor. In reality, this actually helps you lose 1 on 1 vs. opposing Scizor. Assuming you both use Superpower, the second Scizor will be able to reap the benefits of a -1 Defense. Might I suggest a Simpler Set? 152Hp/252Atk./104Sp.def. This set takes 70.8%~83.7% from a LO Timid Hydro Pump from Starmie, allowing you to take the hit, and ensure a KO back with Pursuit. This will help you a ton, as Latias and Infernape absolutely hate LO Ice Beam and Hydro Pump, respectively. This new set enables you to maximize your damage output, while maintaining your goal of remaining specially bulky enough to live through a LO Starmie Hydro Pump.
Oops! I missed that. OK it's fixed. I'll try the new Scizor spread. I'll try the Salamence, but I really like using a DD regular set as it's one of my favorites and I like the physical power. Nonetheless, I'll give it a shot .

I swear I've made this rate already, but it somehow dissapeared. Oh well, I'll just have to type this up again :/

Your team is very reliant on latias. It is your only counter for the likes of gyara and heatran but it gets pursuit killed way too easily. Your team is pretty SD luke weak too. Say latias kills something with draco meteor or scizor is stuck on pursuit, it can come straight in, dance up and sweep your team.

I would change latias into a a scarfgon with thunderpunch. That will give you an easy replacement to latias as it would play the same roles without it being pursuit weak. You could test l vappy and suicine with HP electirc too as they do the same thing in terms of countering. Vappy would be more reliable whereas the other two would fit your offensive pace more. It's your call. Then I would make maggy into a scarfed set to deal with luke. It would also let you use flashcannon on one of the moveslots which is significant because right now that's your only rock resist. You need something better than HP grass to hit T-tar with.

Switching latis to flygon would unfortunately mean that you only have 2 fight resists - azelf and mence. Obviously, those 2 aren't the most reliable counters for your team. I think it would be wise to make mence more survivable. I would either try scofield's DD, EQ, outrage, roost set with LO or just a regular classic mix mence. This would mean that you'll at least have something that can switch into fighting attacks more than once. You'll still have to play around ape and machamp a bit but you're fine against luke at least given that you have a trapper that can outrun it now with maggy.

It would be pretty important for this team to set up screens early, or it'll get hit hard by CC's and fireblasts, so keep that in mind.

Good luck witht the team.

Scizor

EVs: 160 HP/176 Atk/168 Sp.Def/4 Spe

Do you really need 168 spd and 160HP if your running Dual Screen Azelf????
It also looks like your team depends on you Ape too much. Other then Scizors Bullet Punch you don't cover Ice types with out Infernape.
Ever think of how bad T'tar would rip up Azelf with Crunch...

I suggest switching Fire Blast with Brick Break. There's no use setting up DD just to use a special attack... Brick Break also gives more type coverage.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
However, Brick Break leads him to be utterly walled by Bronzong and Skarmory, and doesn't allow him to do the severe damage of Fire Blast to Scizor or Forretress.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)