ORAS LC Say You Love Me

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Hi friends, it's been a little over 2 years since my last RMT, and since I'm gonna be taking a break from Pokemon for a bit to focus on school, I'm just gonna drop a team that I've had solid success with so far. Without further adieu, I present to you the Skype team.

Normally, I would put a teambuilding process here, but there really isn't much explaining to do. I picked the tier's hardest hitting Pokemon and threw them together lol. The names are from a Skype call with close friends.

Father Melonz (Mienfoo) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Acrobatics

Mienfoo has often been regarded as the tier's best Pokemon, and there's no difficulty to see why. Mienfoo can fill a variety of roles between an offensive sweeper to a Baton Passer, but this team benefits the most from standard bulky Fastfoo. This allows Mienfoo to function as a dedicated pivot and the team's Pawniard check. Drain Punch is Mienfoo's STAB option, allowing it to keep its HP up while dealing a solid amount of damage, as well as dealing with Pawniard obviously. Knock Off removes Eviolites and Berry Juices from typical switchins such as Spritzee and Foongus, making it easier for another member of the team to sweep. It also hits Ghost-types that are immune to Drain Punch. U-Turn allows Mienfoo to pivot in and out of the field without having to hard switch, and procs Regenerator upon the switch. Fastfoo has a free slot usually, so I opted for Acrobatics to punish other Fighting-types and Foongus after Mienfoo has its Eviolite Knocked Off. EVs are standard for bulky Fastfoo, lets you live Fletch's Acrobatics from full etc and Regenerator keeps HP up and allows Mienfoo to be a better pivot.

Melon, you've been an amazing friend to me, helping me progress as a battler and person in general. You've never been rude to me even when I'm a less than desirable person to be around, and I'm grateful for that. I'm beyond thankful to know a nerd like you and I hope that your endeavors on Smogon go as you wish. Keep being you.

Mother Coconut. (Pawniard) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Brick Break
- Pursuit

Scarf Pawniard is without a doubt the Pokemon I use the most aside from Carvanha (he didn't fit the bill for this time, sadly) since it's just so stupid to switch into. Nothing likes taking the tier's strongest Knock Off followed by Iron Heads, and this set really allows for Pawniard to weaken teams early in the game while sweeping them late game. Knock Off removes items and just hits hard as hell lol nothing actually likes taking this. Once Knocked Off, Iron Head does a hefty amount to anything that doesn't resist it and has a nifty 30% chance to inflict a salty wound on the opponent. Brick Break is used to hit other Pawniard, while Pursuit is good for trapping weakened Pokemon, such as Scarf Gothita locked into Psychic or Abra once the Focus Sash has been activated. The EVs let Pawn hit as hard and as fast as possible while giving small boosts to each defensive stat.

Coconut you're a homie like real talk you're great. You're super funny and actually have a bomb ass music taste. Thanks for being the patient smartass that you are, don't change. btw melon's bullying :))

Brother H&MBerkeley (Corphish) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Corphish adds the last Knock Off user and the first set-up sweeper on the team. Once rarely seen on teams, Corphish solidified itself as an insanely powerful wallbreaker with Swords Dance/Choice Band as well as a dangerous end-game Pokemon with Dragon Dance. With Corphish's naturally solid physical bulk, it can easily set up a Dragon Dance versus neutral hits and begin its mayhem. Crabhammer is Corphish's strongest STAB, and when backed by Adaptability takes a chunk out of anything that doesn't resist it and OHKOing all but the most dedicated of walls at +1. Aqua Jet is a strong priority that lets Corphish snipe weakened Pokemon as well as avoid other priority when at +1 Speed. Knock Off is good coverage and makes Corphish's job of sweeping easier by removing Eviolites. EVs are used to maximize sweeping potential and set-up opportunities, Jolly Nature to outspeed 20 Speed at +1

Berks, we've always gotten along since we met, and I think we've both grown to be better battlers and users through each other. You've become quite an adept player and I hope you continue to grow to smack these nerds around.

Brother OP (Fletchling) (M)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 156 HP / 196 Atk / 92 Def / 52 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Standard Fletch is the second of the set-up sweeping duo, working well with the previous three Pokemon by using their Knock Off support and overall firepower to allow Fletchling to break through and sweep after a Swords Dance. Priority Acrobatics has cemented Fletchling as a top tier threat by preying on the many Fighting-types in the tier. U-Turn lets Fletchling pivot out of unfavorable situations and bring in another teammate who can deal with it. Swords Dance gives Fletchling ridiculous power combined with Acrobatics and easily ends weakened teams. Roost provides longevity since I don't have any hazard control on the team. EVs give Fletchling bulk to take weaker hits and set up, since it doesn't really need Speed unless going against other Fletchling.

OP, you've also been one of my best friends since God knows how long. You're an insanely good battler and you're a levelheaded guy, which is always a good trait to have. I hope you kick ass during the SPL season, bud. Good luck to ya.

Uncle Quote (Gastly) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 36 Def / 196 SpA / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp

Life Orb Gastly is insane. This thing hits like an absolute truck and, like Fletchling, works well with three Knock Off users. Powerful STABs and a high SpA makes Gastly the epitome of a glass cannon, and with its solid Speed tier serves as a great end-game threat as well as another wallbreaker. Substitute works well with Gastly's ability to force switches and protects it from at least one attack and status moves. Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball are both power STAB moves, just click Sludge Bomb when you're not facing something that resists or is immune to Poison, and Shadow Ball when they do. In the last slot, I went for Will-O-Wisp to cripple Stunky and Pawniard over Hidden Power Fighting, which, while it OHKOs the latter, does jack squat to the former. EVs maximize damage output and Speed, while some bulk is thrown on for the ability to potentially use one more attack before dying.

Quote, we certainly didn't get off on the right foot due to me being a child and wanting to fight the authority lol. After the first break and some maturing, you've actually become a very great friend to me and I wish we could've been friends sooner. You're an awesome tier leader and great battler, don't tell yourself you're not bc you are. Thanks for everything.

Bot Oma (Porygon) @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

Porygon provides much needed bulk for the team. Without it, priority is pretty much my only answer to Abra lol. Also the only thing that really enjoys going toe to toe with Spritzee since Gastly doesn't appreciate a Moonblast upon switchin. Tri Attack is a strong STAB coming off of Porygon's solid SpA even when uninvested. Ice Beam provides coverage versus Archen and Drilbur, deterring them from setting up Stealth Rock. Yellow Magic is Yellow Magic, everything on the team likes slower opponents. Recover keeps Porygon healthy to continually take on the powerful threats in the tier. EVs maximize bulk, and I went for Trace over Download since I would rather take the ability than the +1 boost more often than not.

Oma, you're a newer friend as well, but you're quite funny and super nice as well. Very solid battler and all around a great user that the community needs. Keep up the work you've been putting into Little Cup bud.

So yeah, that's the team, hope you guys enjoy it :)
Father Melon (Mienfoo) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Acrobatics

Mother Coco (Pawniard) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Brick Break
- Pursuit

Brother Berk (Corphish) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Brother OP (Fletchling) (M)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 156 HP / 196 Atk / 92 Def / 52 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Uncle Quote (Gastly) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 36 Def / 196 SpA / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp

Bot Omastar42 (Porygon) @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

More shoutouts
Corporal Levi One of my best friends, thanks for being chill
mad0ka u a thot but another great friend
antemortem LCPL its lit, thanks for helping me with social media contributions (don't worry, I'll stick around for those as well
Mambo always been a bro, when I stop being lame we'll have that rap battle
ThatCrazyRussian TUO Tahu call friends :) you're all solid battlers and just cool people in general
Nails you're just a bro, thanks for being you
Natural Talent another amazing friends, hella memories from my RU days. Keep grindin.
absdaddy you're cool, thanks for dealing with annoying me and helping me become better
Jac YOU :)) too many things to say in a line, but I'm grateful for our friendship.
Star. someone else who's pushed me to be better. Kick ass this SPL too, hopefully I'll be there with you.
iplaytennislol thanks for helping me in my brief NU stint and being a cool person :)
Cobalion. when's the meetup fam.
Celestavian you have a really dry sense of humor which I love, really good battler and friend for a long while :))

I'm sure there's other people but this is all I could remember right now, but if I didn't tag you, let me know and I'll think of a cheap one-liner to hit you with.

Don't take this as a quitting post either, I'll still be around, I just gotta put priorities first. Little Cup will always be my home. Thanks to the entire community for everything. Until next time, folks.

Last edited:

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Bet that nick would be a lot better with the namechange I was gonna get lmao

I don't have a rate other than maybe using Psychic over Tri Attack on Pory because iirc Ice Beam still 2HKOs and your team seems to have only a few checks to Fighting types

Bless Cheek Pouch n_n

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks love, dont be a stranger to my inbox you texmex nigga. School's v important. Just remember we here for you and yours.

Team looks nice too. I echo what Berks is sayin, Psychic on Pory over Tri-Attack. Fletch cant do all the work vs fighters.

Star

is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis the defending RU Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OGC & Tour Head
I'm not a fan of wisp on gastly tbh. If you are only really using it to hit stunky and pawn you should just use dbond. Thx for shoutout and cool team.

mad0ka

華々しい
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
While I mostly agree with Starm on this, it can be a nice thing to also hit Mienfoo with so that you survive a knock off, and burning Mienfoo is incredibly useful because the team lacks fighting switchins. On that note, how does this team deal with scarfoo? It seems like it gets a kill every time it's in.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
While I mostly agree with Starm on this, it can be a nice thing to also hit Mienfoo with so that you survive a knock off, and burning Mienfoo is incredibly useful because the team lacks fighting switchins. On that note, how does this team deal with scarfoo? It seems like it gets a kill every time it's in.
It p much gets a kill each time it comes in, I have to beat it offensively. Usually risky plays such as hard switching Gastly into HJK will have to suffice. Regenerator scarf HJK doesn't kill Pory I believe and Reckless gets whittled.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey man what's up! I enjoyed watching this team ladder and being in skype call with you a lot : ) It might seem like I'm mean to you but tbh I kinda just like messing with you lol. You're a cool person most of the time and I hope you stay playing mons for a good while : )

Now onto your team, from the looks of your team you can really struggle with fast offensive threats. Things like a simple Abra+Gastly core can mess you up, especially sash abra since it can get 1-2 kills a game. Faster threats like Scarf Mienfoo can body you as you have already stated, and one misplay with Gastly can cost you the game. Not to mention that Sticky Web teams can destroy you since you are Scarf Pawniard, meaning you can't switch moves a lot, thus getting easily played (+2 Pawniard isn't that scary when you know it is choice locked, and a lot of mons outpace Pawniard under webs anyway, like Abra / Gastly, meaning that you often have to make the right predict.) I also don't really like how you have 2 different wincons but not enough support for either one. Your team kinda revolves around just hitting things until they explode, which is respectable enough but isn't the best.

My suggestion to you is to run Tailwind on Fletchling over Swords Dance, and Swords Dance over Dragon Dance on Corphish. By itself, Corphish is a monster threat, and tailwind only helps it further. Tailwind also helps with the rest of your team, From Gastly outpacing scarfers and Mienfoo outpacing things like Abra and whatnot. Swords Dance lets Corphish wallbreak for itself pretty much, where it can just Knock the Foongus off and later in the game SD and sweep through teams. I also agree with running DBond on Gastly over WoW, since WoW doesn't really accomplish anything. Anyway, those are my thoughts, I hope I helped out your team! Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)