SM OU Scarf Kartana + Rockium Z Tapu Bulu

I really hate Zapdos and Tornadus-Therian.

Introduction:
Zapdos and Tornadus-Therian are two Pokémon commonly referred to as "unkillable" because unless hard predicted by their opponent or unexpectedly lured, it is very hard to KO these Pokémon due to the combination of their speed, natural bulk, move coverage, abilities, and offensive prowess. Of the two ways to KO these annoying Flying-types, a consistent lure is much more reliable then a hard switch prediction because of the ease of use. Zapdos and Tornadus are two of the best counters to Tapu Bulu and Kartana, who can be used in conjunction with each other because of their incredible and overwhelming synergy with each other. I wanted to use this Tapu Bulu-Kartana core, known as "grass spam" but I also wanted a consistent lure to the common checks to this core. Some players use Choice Band Tapu Bulu with Stone Edge to OHKO checks to grass spam teams, but a Choice Band removes the ability to switch moves after you select one, meaning the opponent can easily scout or predict which move will be locked into. I decided to use Rockium Z with Stone Edge and Substitute because [1] removes the risk of missing regular Stone Edge [2] Substituting as the opponent switches into their appointed check or counter removes the need to predict the immediate switch-in and [3] Substitute also allows Tapu Bulu to beat bulkier teams because of the status protection and healing from Grassy Terrain.

1542836651096.png
Tapu Bulu

Tapu Bulu @ Rockium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Horn Leech
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

Stats and reasons for existing on the team:
Tapu Bulu is an absolute essential when making a "Grass spam" team, its ability Grassy Surge activates Grass Terrain upon entry, which boosts the power of Grass-type moves used by grounded Pokémon by 50% (that's a lot!). Rockium Z is to be used with Stone Edge, for a powerful 180 base power Rock-type move with 100% accuracy
252 Atk Tapu Bulu Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian: 470-554 (129.8 - 153%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Tapu Bulu Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Zapdos: 444-524 (115.9 - 136.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Tapu Bulu Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Zapdos: 316-374 (82.5 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Tapu Bulu Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard-Mega-X: 360-424 (121.2 - 142.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

Max Speed with a Jolly Nature is used to outspeed Zapdos that aren't OHKO'd by Continental Crush and max Attack is used to maximize the offensive capability Tapu Bulu has.
Tapu Bulu's purpose is to break an otherwise unbreakable hole into teams for Grass Spam to begin to overwhelm them.

Moves:
Horn Leech is used to give Tapu Bulu longevity that is lost through the lack of Leftovers because of the Z Crystal, Grassy Terrain recovery is not enough to make up for the recoil Wood Hammer would give Tapu Bulu. Horn Leech helps Tapu Bulu heal back to full after Substituting.
Stone Edge is used to "lure" the common Fire-types and Flying-types that are used to check Tapu Bulu and Kartana, KOing them or weakening to the point where they can no longer reliably check or counter the overwhelming power Kartana and Tapu Bulu exert.
Swords Dance and Substitute are used to break through fat, bulky teams that rely on residual damage and status to KO opposing Pokémon; being able to break through (at least 2HKO) Skarmory, Celesteela, Magic Guard Clefable, Mega Lati@s, Toxapex, Mega Sableye, and many other fat Pokémon at +2, while simultaneously being able to block status or simply dangerous moves that could hinder Tapu Bulu's breaking ability, such as Wil-o-Wisp, Scald burns, Thunder Wave, or super-effective attacks with Substitute.
Substitute is also used to create a safety net while predicting an opponent's switch into their designated Tapu Bulu and Kartana check (preferably Tornadus or Zapdos) because while one could just throw out the Z-Stone Edge as the opponent most likely goes into something that would be KO'd by it, if the opponent doesn't go into it, then your Z move is burned out (sad face).

1542838102684.png
Kartana

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off

Stats and reasons for existing on the team:
Kartana is a very simple Pokémon; it kills. boasting a 181 base attack stat and a reasonable Speed stat with acceptable Physical bulk makes this thing terrifying. That being said, a simple Pokémon generally uses a simple spread, Max Attack and Speed. With a Choice Scarf, this thing is only outsped by opposing Scarfed base 110 Speed Pokémon and higher such as Lati@s, Gengar, and Greninja. Kartana is used with the aforementioned Tapu Bulu set because it lures both common Tapu Bulu AND Kartana checks and counters, meaning that once the check has been successfully weakened or KO'd, Kartana can begin throwing out fast STAB Grassy Terrain Leaf Blades, outspeeding 99% of the meta and getting a +1 Attack boost after each kill due to the Beast Boost Ability.

Moves:
Lead Blade and Smart Strike are Kartana's strongest STAB options, Leaf Blade being the primary one as it is 90 base power and boosted by Tapu Bulu's Grassy Terrain, raising its strength to incredible amounts. Smart Strike is a situational move used to clean though teams that are simply more susceptible to Steel-type moves than Grass-type moves. Smart Strike can be replaced with Defog or Toxic if needed.
Sacred Sword is used to hit opposing Steel-types such as Heatran and Kartana who resist Kartana's STAB's but are always at least 2HKO'd by Kartana's Fighting-type coverage.
Knock Off is used basically because Kartana doesn't learn any other moves (lol). Knock Off can be useful by removing opposing Leftovers from Pokémon such as Heatran and Zapdos which can give grass spam teams issues or removing Chansey's Eviolite. Knock Off is also a good neutral move to hit Pokémon such as Charizard-Y and can remove Shed Shell from Skarmory for the team's next Pokémon.
Kartana's purpose on the team is to abuse Tapu Bulu's Grassy Terrain and Z Stone Edge lure to break through teams with its insane power.

1542839589280.png
Magnezone

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Stats and why it exists on the team:
After I had made the Tapu Bulu-Kartana "Grass spam" core, with a lure set to deal with Flying-types and Fire-types, I needed a consistent answer to deal with bulky Steel-types that would otherwise give Grass spam troubles, such as Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, Celesteela, Skarmory and Magearna. I chose Magnezone to deal with Steel-types because it can trap them with its ability, Magnet Pull, meaning they are forced to take at least one Choice Specs-boosted hit which can make the difference between Kartana being able to KO it or not. Choice Specs Magnezone can safely switch into standard Celesteela sets and OHKO 100% of the time with Thunderbolt after trapping it with Magnet Pull. Skarmory, while it is known to run the item Shed Shell to escape Magnet Pull, is still forced to switch out, meaning the opponent loses momentum from Magnezone's Volt Switch or simply has to switch something in to a Choice Specs-boosted attack. Kartana can also potentially Knock Off Skarmory's Shed Shell as mentioned before. Max Special Attack is used to maximize the damage Magnezone can do per turn to Steel-types that it traps and max Speed is used to outspeed opposing Mega Scizor's and OHKO with Hidden Power Fire, as Mega Scizor is one of the few Pokémon that has access to a reliable recovery and can set up or gain momentum against Grass spam cores.
Magnezone's purpose on the team is to trap and KO or weaken opposing Steel-types that give the Bulu-Kartana core trouble.

Moves:
Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon are Magnezone's most optimal STAB moves
Volt Switch is to provide momentum against switching opponents and to switch out after finishing off an opponent
Hidden Power Fire KO's Kartana, Ferrothorn, and Mega Scizor
252 SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 224+ SpD Assault Vest Magearna: 99-117 (27.2 - 32.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor-Mega: 388-460 (113.1 - 134.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 156 SpD Celesteela: 374-444 (94.2 - 111.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 214-254 (75.8 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 164+ SpD Ferrothorn: 272-324 (77.2 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

*Note that all moves that do not OHKO put the target in range of Kartana's attacks*

1542842229150.png
Tornadus-Therian

Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 16 SpA / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Defog

I honestly don't remember why I put this Pokémon on the team or what the spread does (aside from outspeeding base 110's) BUT, I do know it helps immensely against opposing Kartana's, and benefits greatly from the removal of opposing Steel-types and Zapdos, and also threatens the bulky Grass-types who give the Tapu Bulu-Kartana Grass spam core troubles, such as Tangrowth and Mega Venusaur. The speed on Tornadus should be raised to 359 to outspeed opposing Serperior, which can also abuse Grass Terrain and steamroll through any team regardless of resists. Tornadus's Rocky Helmet deters opponents from using U-Turn against my precious Grass-types and punishes Physical contact moves in general.

Moves:
Hurricane is Tornadus's only STAB move, being an incredibly strong Special move, hitting Grass-types who threaten the Grass spam core hard.
U-Turn is used to gain momentum off switches that Tornadus can force with its powerful Hurricanes.
Taunt and Defog make Tornadus the ultimate anti-hazard Pokémon
Taunt also helps when dealing with bulky opposing Pokémon that rely on Status moves to heal themselves or damage opponents and prevent set-up.

1542843959973.png
Heatran

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Heatran-Tapu Bulu is a notoriously well-synergizing core; Tapu Bulu activates Grassy Terrain for residual healing for Heatran and to weaken super-effective Earthquakes against Heatran. Tapu Bulu also resists Water and Fighting-type attacks and because of its Z Crystal, can easily switch into Knock Off's that Heatran typically doesn't like to take. Heatran takes Fire, Steel, Bug, Ice, Poison, and Flying-type attacks for Tapu Bulu. Heatran is running a Specially Defensive set to make best use of the longevity Leftovers + Grassy Terrain gives it. This also lets Heatran better take on Pokémon such as Zapdos, Tornadus, Magearna, and other Pokémon who Heatran technically beats, but can be chipped easily without the extra Special Defense.

Moves:
Magma Storm is used to trap Pokémon such as Zapdos and the damage per turn Magma Storm does works well in conjunction with Protect.
Protect allows Heatran to scout for the moves of opposing Choice-item Pokémon, Heal a significant amount from Leftovers + Grassy Terrain. Earth Power is used to hit opposing Heatran (sdef Heatran beats max speed Heatran 1v1) and Toxapex, which can be trapped with Magma Storm and out-damaged with Earth Power + Wil-o-Wisp. Wil-o-Wisp is used to catch common Heatran checks such as Zygarde and Mega-Lati@s on the switch in.

1542844750521.png
Landorus-Therian

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 16 SpD / 40 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock​

The classic defensive Lando-T, Leftovers for residual recovery, max HP and 200 Defense with an Impish Nature to switch into Physical attackers and deal with them accordingly, 16 Special Defense allows Landorus to take 2 Hidden Power Ice's from opposing defensive Lando-T's, and the remaining 40 speed almost guarantees you to outspeed opposing Lando-T's. The team needed a physically bulky Pokémon and an Electric immunity to be rounded off, and Landorus fits the bill perfectly.

Moves:
Earthquake is Landorus's STAB move of choice, doing acceptable damage even without Attack investment thanks to his astounding 145 base Attack stat. Earthquake is able to threaten many common Pokémon such as Tapu Koko, Heatran, and Toxapex, and is very hard to switch in to from offensive Pokémon such as Greninja and Tapu Lele, both of which are nearly OHKO'd after Stealth Rocks. Hidden Power Ice is used to hit opposing Landorus and allows Lando to be a Zygarde check.
U-Turn allows Landorus to give its team momentum as the opponent switches out into their Defog user or Landorus check.

Notes:
Kartana is made to be the win condition for every single game. If Kartana goes down early, the team's offensive presence drops immensely, use Kartana wisely.
https://pokepast.es/4c1cb1178a9e3360 <- The team

Hey dude :D

Rate:

I would like to say my point of view about your team. I understand your main point tbh, zapdos and torna have great bulk and they can wall a lot of things, so, that make them difficult to kill, but tbh, you are making things way more difficult than they could be, you made a grass spam which shouldn't be ideal vs flying types, and you added a lure to zapdos, sd sub rockium z tapu bulu, the problem with this is that this is not a reliable set, if you wanted to make a grass spam with bulu + kartana to lure zapdos, you should have tried sd kartana with z giga impact or banded bulu imo, which is also situational but can be more useful than that outdated tapu bulu set. If you want to pressure zapdos and torna the easiest way is putting rocks in your opp's field, having a good check that also pressures them (tyranitar + sand) and furthermore you can threaten them with more residual damage (toxic). Focusing on the idea of that lure you forgot about a lot of important stuff that a team should have, like the water resist (let me say that 252 atk spe bulu isnt enough as water resist). You are terribly pressured by greninja ash which seems very threatening for your team and also Heatran destroys you, This is due to your absence of heatran check/fire resist (water or ground type), because having a slow lando as a revenge killer for tran and your own tran isn't enough to deal with it. And there are a lot more mons that are threatening for your team, for instance Volcarona which seems really difficult to handle as i see it.

Trying to solve this i made 2 versions of your team that would be great if you like them.

Optimization of the Team:

I changed the Tapu Bulu's set into a more updated set of SD Tapu bulu which appreciates the spdef/hp bulk to situationally switch in mons like gren/lando/zygarde, that makes it a more consistent ground/water resist. You can choose the last slot of it. Synthesis allows you to recover damage and protect is useful thanks to the leftovers and the terrain and it is also useful to scout attacking mons.
I preserved Kartana as the late game cleaner and the revenge killer of some threats.
You were pressured a lot by Volcarona, Greninja (protean and ash), Heatran... and a good mon that covers this is Toxapex (taking into account that the grassy terrain weakens ground attacks and this is perfect for it). Also toxa can unlimitedly pivot into Torna and try to put it on Toxic.
Mega Tyranitar is perfect for dealing with Zapdos as you wished to do with bulu. Putting rocks on the field to pressure zapdos/torna, adding the residual damage of the sand, having a strong stone edge that 0HKO them and the capacity to pursuit should be more than enough.
I also preserved Tornadus T on the first version cause i felt it paired well with the squad, but i changed the set into a z focus blast lure to tran/ttar that can also be helpuf to chip mons like Magearna or Celesteela. Tornadus contributes to the team as a ground immunity, as the hazard control and the check/revenge kill to grass and fighting type mons.
In the second version Torna is replaced by a Defog Gliscor that is very helpful to deal with tran and to gain momentum with u-turn.
The last mon of the squad in the first version is Banded Zygarde which pressures a lot and has glare as a tech to paralyze the opposing mons to allow bulu to set up and sweep.
And for the second version we have Taunt-Toxic Tran which is really good and helps to deal with steel types that were difficult to handle for the team before this addition

Squad 1:

Squad 2:

https://pokepast.es/c11a5c5ba662d249

Hope you enjoy them.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)