Scizor/Heatran Team

Well, i don't have a really good rating on Shoddy (1400) and lately i've been getting stuck. So i've been reading a lot of forums and such and here's my latest competitive team idea. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Lead: Anti-Lead Infernape
Adamant/Lum Berry/252 Atk 252 Spd 6 Sp. Atk
Overheat
Close Combat
Shadow Claw
Mach Punch

The idea here is to massacre all of the common leads. Overheat takes care of Metagross, Jirachi, and Bronzong Leads. Close Combat takes care of Aerodactyl. Lum Berry will allow you to counter hypnosis leads such as Yanmega and Gengar and allow you to counter accordingly. I'm really bad with EV's, so I don't know if my EV spread and nature hinder him. The idea is that people expect Infernape to be a suicide lead, so ideally you get a free turn to hammer their poke and finish with mach punch or OHKO Gengar with Shadow Claw.

Scizor
Adamant/Technician/Life Orb/252 atk 32 HP 224 Spe
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
Super Power
Roost
Standard Scizor, straight from smogon. However, he's called a standard for a reason. He's powerful, and one of my favorites.

Heatran
Modest/Leftovers/248 HP 56 SpA 204 SpD
Lava Plume
Earth Power
Rest
Sleep Talk

I like this Heatran because i personally hate choice items. Its been my personal experience that being locked into one item Hinders a pokemon too much. Beyond that, Scizor is a highly effective Fire Type attack bait. As such, its not difficult to get Heatran in. I chose Fire Plume because the current meta game has a niche for causing tons of switches. So I believe that inflicting burn status on the incoming EQ user is highly useful. It allows Scizor to come in and Roost or Swords Dance MUCH easier. I personally think that Scizor and Heatran have great Synergy.

SpecsStar
Choice Specs/Timid/252 SpA 252 Spe 6 Hp
Surf
Thunder Bolt
Ice Beam
Psychic

Starmie is another one of my favorite pokemon. It has an AMAZING special movepool :) Thunderbolt counters bulky waters (namely Gyarados) that would threaten the Scizor/Heatran combo. Ice Beam handles any dragon that's dumb enough to stay in. Surf and Psychic are powerful STAB moves that can be very useful for a Late Game Sweep. Choice Specs gives Starmie the power it needs to OHKO things.

Skarmory
Impish/Leftovers/252 HP 252 Def 6 atk
Spikes
Whirlwind
Roost
Brave Bird

This team tends to force switches, and Skarmory is here to Abuse that fact. Its primary weaknesses are covered: Starmie can switch into Ice attacks, Rotom-M (which i'll cover next) handles Electric Switch-ins, and Heatran takes care fire attacks. Skarmory should have plenty of opportunities to come in and do its thing.

Rotom-M (spin blocker)
Modest/Choice Scarf/252 SpA 252 Spe 6 HP
Leaf Storm
Thunder Bolt
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power Fighting

A much needed Swampert and Tyranitar counter. Plus it blocks Rapid Spin. I thought personally that Rotom-M was a fine addition to this team. However, i'm not sure if Rotom would have enough juice to OHKO Tyranitar. I assume so, but I actually don't know know. If it doesn't . . . then i'm i need a last Pokemon idea.

Again, the main strategy revolves around Scizor and Heatran,as I think they make such a power pair. The rest is supposed to complement them. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Zukorius

Hi- your RMT is a little hard to read just as a nitpick. Scarftran could rip this team to shreds (no offense) with the typical set being able to hit every member of your team save rotom, for super effective damage. I would suggest either Blissey or Suicune to help out a little, seeing as with their high special defense/typing they shrug off Heatrans attacks.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Nature: Calm
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 80 SpA / 176 SpD
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss/ Flamethrower
- Toxic
I threw Seismic Toss in there if you wanna damage Heatran.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid
Ability: Pressure
EVs:228 HP / 64 SpA / 216 Spe
- Substitute
- Surf
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam

Sub on the switchout, and set up from there.

Good luck.

While Scizor and Heatran have decent defensive synergy, their offensive synergy is limited. They don't really help each other take out their counters. In fact, their only shared counter is Gyarados.

I would really like to see your team have a goal. Successful teams this generation have them. Checking/Countering threats isn't good enough this generation. There are too many of them and many are too hard to counter for offensive teams (Some stall teams can handle it). With that in mind you need to come up with some type of strategy before raters can help you with creating a synergistic team.

Here are some other things that might help

1) Infernape: Naive (+Speed, -SpDef) or Naughty (+Atk, -SpDef) nature is best here if you want to keep an Atk emphasis, but usually a special attacking emphasis is better. Lum Berry isn't that great anymore. Hypnosis has been nerfed in Platinum, so faster sleep leads aren't so common anymore. Focus Sash is much more helpful for beating the common leads these days, which are occa berry metagross, azelf, aerodactyl, swampert, and jirachi. Shadow Claw is useless on this set, since Overheat already KOs Gengar. Instead you may want to use Grass Knot for Swampert, or Stealth Rocks because they are awesome and you don't have them. You should probably go ahead and put those Atk evs into SpAtk and use Vacuum Wave instead of Mach Punch and Fire Blast instead of overheat. You don't really need the extra power on close combat anyway.

2) Scizor: This isn't the standard set anymore. Choice Band is more common now. +1 Bullet Punch and picking things off with a risk-free Uturn is awesome. Also, Choice Band Scizor has a much easier time handling counters. If you insist on using Swords Dance, Brick Break is better than Superpower, as the attack drop is bad. The best evs for Scizor are probably 248HP/252Atk/8Speed because maxing speed doesn't really gain you much. Having 4-8 speed evs makes sure you beat vaporeon though, which is important.

3) Heatran: This is an interesting Heatran set, but I don't see how it help Scizor or even helps anything. I think you would be better off with a Subsitute heatran here. A max speed and special attack timid spread with leftovers and substitute/dragon pulse or toxic/fire blast/Earth power works well at wearing down bulky waters that come in on Heatran and Scizor.

4) Starmie: I think that this is a good team mate for your other guys. the thing is that Specstar doesn't beat gyarados that well. +1 Earthquake has a chance of koing 4/0 starmies, so you probably want to either use a choice scarf or use some hp evs over some speed ones. 40HP/252SpA/216 Speed should be good. you are still at risk of losing to a critical earthquake though (this isn't really much of a problem though), so scarf is the safest option. Either way, you will probably want to use something else other than psychic, which offers little in the way of coverage. Trick, Grass Knot, and Hidden Power Fire are all good options.

5) Skarmory: This is a big shift from the rest of your team. I think you would be much more successful if you went with something else here. Swampert seems like a logical option, it also helps against your DD Salamence weakness if your Starmie should lose its scarf. Mixpert in the analysis is great, but a spread of 252HP/216Def/40SpD is better than theirs. This also gives you the ability to put stealth rock up, which is in my opinion better than spikes. Swampert is also an excellent Tyranitar counter.

6) Rotom-C: This guy is largely unecessary now that you have gotten rid of Skarm, though now you need him as more of a scizor counter now that skarm is gone and grass knot may have been put on someone else. you will probably want to change it to rotom h, though the set I will suggest doesn't use any exclusive moves. Since you no longer have a restalk set on Heatran, I would go with one here. I have used a spread of 248HP/220Def/36SpDef Bold with Discharge/Will-o-wisp/Rest/Sleep Talk in the past.

try out some of the stuff I have mentioned and your team should be a little more successful, your team still sorely lacks a real strategy other than taking out gyarados and hoping that is good enough for a scizor sweep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)