SS UU Scizor+Rotom VoltTurn

:ss/rotom-wash: :ss/chandelure: :ss/kommo-o: :ss/thundurus: :ss/sylveon:

Introduction

Hello! I first started Pokemon Showdown in Gen 8 OU, and enjoyed it very much. I ended up looking at lots of SS OU RMTs and was amazed by the creativity! I tried many teams before making some of my own. About a month later, I wanted to take a little break from SS OU and tried out SS Ubers. That got boring since the exact same mons kept appearing. Finally I stumbled upon SS UU! This format is very cool and decided to try it out. Soon I made a team and here we are! I hope you guys like it :D

Team Build Process

:scizor:
I first found this mon when I looked at the SS UU Crown Tundra Viability Ranking Thread. There in the S rank was Keldeo and Scizor! Both had huge potential and I wanted to choose one to make a team around. So I chose Scizor because it was really versatile and could be used in several ways.

:scizor: :rotom-wash:
Next, I searched for Scizor's sidekick, tasked with making sure Scizor is able to unleash its full power. I realized I wanted to make a VoltTurn Core with Rotom-Wash. With a fire resistance, covering Scizor's one weakness, it was the perfect partner.

:scizor: :rotom-wash: :chandelure:
I had a urge to play with Chandelure for some reason, and it was perfect for my team. Completely immune to fire, it is able to switch in safely from Scizor and take in fire moves without taking any damage.

:scizor: :rotom-wash: :chandelure: :kommo-o:

Kommo-o is very fun to use. With a special ability that makes Kommo-o immune to moves like Shadow Ball and Focus Blast, it is unstoppable. It can be used as a wallbreaker or a defensive wall. In this case it will be used as a defensive buffer zone.

:scizor: :rotom-wash: :chandelure: :kommo-o: :thundurus:
I was a little unsure of this choice, but it was shadowed by its therian form so I decided it needed justice. It will be the special sweeper cleaning up the rest of my opponents.

:scizor: :rotom-wash: :chandelure: :kommo-o: :thundurus: :sylveon:
I simply love Sylveon. So cute, and provides the extra support for my team. It keeps my team alive and healthy. Not much to say about this except that it is really, really cute!

The Team + Description

:ss/scizor: :choice-band:

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Dual Wingbeat

Its great typing and strong Technician-boosted priority make it one of the tier's premier pivots and revenge killers. I gave Scizor Choice Band so it boosts Bullet Punch, combined with Technician it is very powerful. U-turn allows it to take advantage of slow mons and bring in mons safely. Knock Off is to cripple annoying items and threats it struggles to break through. Dual Wingbeat will be to guarantee an 0HKO Amoonguss and Buzzwole and doing great damage to Kommo-o and Keldeo.

:ss/rotom-wash: :leftovers:

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp

The perfect sidekick for Scizor, completing the VoltTurn duo. It provides Defog support so Scizor doesn't get too worn down by hazards during the match. It also protects Scizor from ground type mons like Mamoswine and destroys them with Hydro Pump. Also much as I hate its accuracy and always misses when Rotom tries to use it, it has significant damage against fire and ground types. Finally Will-O-Wisp for crippling Amoonguss and Tangrowth. I chose not to use Pain Split because I needed a defogger. But I will explain the other reason why I don't need it later on.

:ss/chandelure: :heavy-duty-boots:

Chandelure @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hex
- Toxic
- Energy Ball

Chandelure is my wallbreaker and fire immunity. So if I suspect the enemy is going to use a fire move, I can use Scizor's U-turn, so I'm able to switch into Chandelure and absorb it and take no damage. Heavy Duty Boots to be immune to hazards. A timid nature to outspeed mons, Fire Blast for STAB, Hex paired with Toxic so that it does double damage, and Energy Ball to take out mons like Rhyperior and Primarina.

:ss/kommo-o: :rocky-helmet:

Kommo-o @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Kommo-o will be the Stealth Rock setter, along with being a defensive wall. It fits the role perfectly, with Bulletproof blocking special moves, along with Rocky Helmet dealing damage to physical attackers. Body Press for coverage, Earthquake to get rid of mons like opposing Chandelure, Nidoqueen, and Rhyperior. Taunt for preventing setup sweepers with Substitutes, and Sword Dances. Scizor appreciates the hazard from Kommo-o because they were opponents down just enough for Scizor to pick it off.

:ss/thundurus: :heavy-duty-boots:

Thundurus (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Grass Knot

I wasn't too sure about this choice for my 5th mon, but this will be my cleanup special sweeper. Heavy-Duty Boots to avoid hazards, in case Rotom-H isn't able to come in and use Defog because it is weak against Stealth Rock. Nasty Plot + Psychic will 0HKO Amoonguss, Kommo-o, and Nidoqueen. In the Smogon analysis, it said to use Focus Blast but that has terrible accuracy and Kommo-o covers that with Body Press so I chose Grass Knot to 0HKO Quagsire, Rhyperior, and Seismitoad while retaining coverage for other ground types. Lastly, Thunderbolt for coverage.

:ss/sylveon: :leftovers:

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Honestly, I shouldn't even explain what this bundle of cuddliness and cute can do. Sylveon will be the last mon completing our team and our number one cleric. With Pixilate, Hyper Voice becomes a fairy type and boosted by 1.2 and such a threat for mons like Krookodile and Incineroar. Wish to heal any mons that need help. Especially Scizor as it will be worn down after taking hits and Rotom-H because it doesn't have its Pain Split. Protect to find choice mons on the opposite time and keep Sylveon alive. Heal Bell will be for removing status because that can be a real pain.

Conclusion

:ss/scizor: :ss/rotom-wash: :ss/chandelure: :ss/kommo-o: :ss/thundurus: :ss/sylveon:
Honestly I think this team is pretty solid, what do you guys think? Feel free to suggest anything to me, I am open to all opinions! Things I might want to consider changing would be Thundurus. That choice was pretty random and I think I could have done better by choosing a different mon. Importable and Pokepaste will be below! Hope you guys like it :D

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Dual Wingbeat

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hex
- Toxic
- Energy Ball

Kommo-o @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Thundurus (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Defiant
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Grass Knot

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Last edited:

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Yo tysgod VoltTurn is a classic playstyle and I'm glad you've enjoyed this meta for UU before July shifts. This is already pretty close to standard but some adjustments can still be made to patch up some weaknesses. The most noticeable being the lack of a Volt Switch immunity, which can be annoying to fit on UU teams. Hence why Incarnate is typically not used over Therian often. Like most Toxic Chandelure teams, Nihilego is rather annoying and it's compounded by Sylveon. Overall it has some nice synergy though.

Major Changes
:thundurus: -> :rhyperior:
Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 176 Atk / 168 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Unfortunately with the lack of defensive utility, it's hard to justify Thundurus-I. Rhyperior comfortably fits with Sylveon and Rotom-W and has solid typing to assist against Pokemon like Rotom-H that could otherwise Volt Switch freely. Swords Dance Rhyperior is able to keep up the pressure against Pokemon like Defensive Primarina and opposing Rhyperior. A more standard spread of 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD with an Adamant nature can be used as well and would take some pressure off Sylveon.

:kommo-o: -> :amoonguss:
Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Foul Play

During your teambuilding process, Kommo-o was added as a defensive glue and it serves that role fine, but with the addition of Rhyperior the defensive glue running Stealth Rock just is not necessary. Thus, Amoonguss is a solid pick over it as it more sustainable with Regenerator and has some utility with Spore. Foul Play (and Spore) provides some counterplay against certain setup sweepers similar to Kommo-o's Taunt too.

Minor Changes
Scizor @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 200 HP / 176 Atk / 84 Def / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Roost

Scizor has a solid typing and even though there's Wish support from Sylveon it is much easier to just forfeit the immediate power of Choice Band for Roost. Scizor having a consistent form of recovery will help against Nihilego and not be dependent on Sylveon as a cleric and means of dealing with Krookodile.

:rotom-wash:
Rotom-Wash @ Rindo Berry / Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Defog
- Thunder Wave / Trick
Will-O-Wisp is helpful on Rotom-W but Thunder Wave is able to support the team more as the speed control is mainly just Scizor. P{aralysis expands the amount of Pokemon that Chandelure can Hex and Thunder Wave prevents Pokemon like Salamence from setting up Dragon Dance for free. Rindo Berry is another change to prevent Gyarados from sweeping with Power Whip. Choice Scarf works as well to outspeed Gyarados even after it sets up. The passive recovery from Leftovers is great, but can be offset by careful play with Sylveon anyway.

:chandelure:
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Hex
- Toxic
- Taunt
Energy Ball Chandelure is a decent lure for opposing Rhyperior, but you already wear it (and other Energy Ball targets) down with Toxic, and have a solid backbone. Amoonguss's newly found presence removes any purpose really. Taunt is able to beef up the matchup against Stall as it prevents cleric support.

:scizor: :rotom-wash: :chandelure: :amoonguss: :rhyperior: :sylveon:
https://pokepast.es/c9b3c7db3dcb3bbd

Nihilego is still a bit annoying with it getting free turns on Chandelure and Sylveon, but once you know the set you can outplay with Scizor and Rhyperior. Sylveon is able to support the team while being adorable still and sustains the more offensive Rhyperior variant (somewhat justifying the loss of Choice Band Scizor). Hope you enjoy this variant of the Rotom-W + Scizor VoltTurn.

Yo tysgod VoltTurn is a classic playstyle and I'm glad you've enjoyed this meta for UU before July shifts. This is already pretty close to standard but some adjustments can still be made to patch up some weaknesses. The most noticeable being the lack of a Volt Switch immunity, which can be annoying to fit on UU teams. Hence why Incarnate is typically not used over Therian often. Like most Toxic Chandelure teams, Nihilego is rather annoying and it's compounded by Sylveon. Overall it has some nice synergy though.

Major Changes
:thundurus: -> :rhyperior:
Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 176 Atk / 168 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Unfortunately with the lack of defensive utility, it's hard to justify Thundurus-I. Rhyperior comfortably fits with Sylveon and Rotom-W and has solid typing to assist against Pokemon like Rotom-H that could otherwise Volt Switch freely. Swords Dance Rhyperior is able to keep up the pressure against Pokemon like Defensive Primarina and opposing Rhyperior. A more standard spread of 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD with an Adamant nature can be used as well and would take some pressure off Sylveon.

:kommo-o: -> :amoonguss:
Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Foul Play

During your teambuilding process, Kommo-o was added as a defensive glue and it serves that role fine, but with the addition of Rhyperior the defensive glue running Stealth Rock just is not necessary. Thus, Amoonguss is a solid pick over it as it more sustainable with Regenerator and has some utility with Spore. Foul Play (and Spore) provides some counterplay against certain setup sweepers similar to Kommo-o's Taunt too.

Minor Changes
Scizor @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 200 HP / 176 Atk / 84 Def / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Roost

Scizor has a solid typing and even though there's Wish support from Sylveon it is much easier to just forfeit the immediate power of Choice Band for Roost. Scizor having a consistent form of recovery will help against Nihilego and not be dependent on Sylveon as a cleric and means of dealing with Krookodile.

:rotom-wash:
Rotom-Wash @ Rindo Berry / Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Defog
- Thunder Wave / Trick
Will-O-Wisp is helpful on Rotom-W but Thunder Wave is able to support the team more as the speed control is mainly just Scizor. P{aralysis expands the amount of Pokemon that Chandelure can Hex and Thunder Wave prevents Pokemon like Salamence from setting up Dragon Dance for free. Rindo Berry is another change to prevent Gyarados from sweeping with Power Whip. Choice Scarf works as well to outspeed Gyarados even after it sets up. The passive recovery from Leftovers is great, but can be offset by careful play with Sylveon anyway.

:chandelure:
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Hex
- Toxic
- Taunt
Energy Ball Chandelure is a decent lure for opposing Rhyperior, but you already wear it (and other Energy Ball targets) down with Toxic, and have a solid backbone. Amoonguss's newly found presence removes any purpose really. Taunt is able to beef up the matchup against Stall as it prevents cleric support.

:scizor: :rotom-wash: :chandelure: :amoonguss: :rhyperior: :sylveon:
https://pokepast.es/c9b3c7db3dcb3bbd

Nihilego is still a bit annoying with it getting free turns on Chandelure and Sylveon, but once you know the set you can outplay with Scizor and Rhyperior. Sylveon is able to support the team while being adorable still and sustains the more offensive Rhyperior variant (somewhat justifying the loss of Choice Band Scizor). Hope you enjoy this variant of the Rotom-W + Scizor VoltTurn.
wow tysm for the suggestions! This team has changed quite a bit lol but I like it. I am still conflicted on the Rindo berry for Rotom-W. It has terrible recovery, with only pain split to gain health. You said that Rotom needs it for a Power Whip from Gyarados, but that was why I had Thundurus. But other than that the new team looks great!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)