ORAS UU Second Class Threat

Hello guys, I have a team I have been doing reletively well in and is one of my favorite teams I have made in ORAS. This is my first legit UU team since break from competetive battling, but I am pretty happy with the results I am getting from this team. I do however, feel like it can be improved on, which is why I would like to ask for your help in refining my team. So without further ado, i present to you my team. (Also happy new year or something)

Team Preview

//////////////
In-Depth Look
//////////////

Yum (Gastrodon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Earth Power
- Toxic

I like to call Gastrodon the glue that holds this team together. While Swampert may have better defenses and Stealth Rock, Gastrodon is blessed with Recover. This means that Gastrodon can take continuous damage over the course of the battle and replenish it's own health. Gastrodon has a naturally defensive typing, is much bulkier than it lets on. Unless you specifically have a Grass move (or Specs Draco) there not too much that you can do to hurt Gastrodon with on the Special side. Gastrodon also checks Choiced Crawdaunt, but as most Crawdaunts are an LO varient, rarely do I switch in on them. Gastrodon does however, counter amd beat Crobat, Arcane, Mega-Beedrill, and Zapdos Without HP Grass, to name a few. Gastrodon can wall foes unprepared for it and in my opinion, is the most valuable defensive asset on my team.

Yum Jr. (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Discharge
- Heat Wave

Defensive Zapdos is amazing. It is hands down my favorite pokemon to use on this team. It is unbelievably fun to spam Discharge and watch my opponents receive paralysis. Zapdos is my counter to Metagross, Honchkrow and a multitude of fast, physical pokemon that i can paralyze and absorb a hit on. Zapdos is also my dedicated defogger. Heat Wave does moderate damage to anything that it his neutrally. Being immune to Earthquake is a big reason as to why I use Zapdos. Roost is a good recovery move that give Zapdos survivability. I found that Zapdos checks Mega Bee rather well given that Zapdos is at full health. I really don't have too much to say about Zapdos that hasn't already been said about it though, it's all around a good pokemon.

Frosty (Abomasnow-Mega) @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake

Mega Abomasnow is another really good pokemon. It takes Earthquakes like a champ, with its good 90 base health stat and an above average base 105 Defenses. I have Swords Dance to turn Abomasnow into a possible late game sweeper, turning it into my secondary win condition. What really makes Mega Aboma a monster though, is its hefty base 132 Attack stat. For comparison, Chandelure has a base Special Attack stat of 145, and Roseraid is base 125. Abomasnow however has a few traits that prevent it from rampaging through teams without lots of support. It has an abysmal 30 base speed, meaning the only way it will be able to move first outside of Trick Room is Ice Shard. Another problem with Abomasnow is that it is weak to Stealth Rock, take 25% for switching in. Wood Hammer destroys anything that does not resist it. Almost everything in UU is 2HKO'ed by Wood Hammer. The best way to play Abomasnow is by forcing switches and doing big damage for a turn, then retreat to a pivot. That said, Abomasnow is actually bulkier that you might give it credit for. While Ice is a terrible defensive type, the Grass typing in Abomasnow gives it a Water, Ground and Electric resist, meaning it can come in on these moves and punish any pokemon that wants to come in.

My boy Frage (Chandelure) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Choice Specs Chandelure is one of the biggest Wall breakers in UU. The only pokemon that can take a Specs Overheat either are naturally resistant to it, such as Kingra, or are special walls, such as Blissey and Florges. Flash Fire is intresting to have on Chandelure, because Chandelure can come in on a predicted Will o Wisp aimed at Metagross or Crawdaunt, or a predicted fire move aimed at Abomasnow. Max HP because I rarely need to outspeed my oponent, rather I come in on any opertunity I get where my Chandelure will be either immune or safe from damage, and deal a big hit on anything willing to take a STAB Overheat or Shadow ball. Energy Ball is for Water types and HP ground deals with Fire types. I run Overheat over Fire Blast because after I knock something out, I probably will have to deal with a revenge killer and switch out anyways.

OHYEAMR.KRABS (Crawdaunt) @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Crawdaunt is my main win condition, as after one Swords Dance Crawdaunt will be able to easily clean up weakened pokemon with Aqua Jet. I like to run almost max HP investment just because I spam Aqua Jet or Knock Off much more than I spam Crabhammer. If I bring this out early game at all, I would probably use it as an Aqua Jet revenge killer. When at Plus 2 Attack, woth Adaptability and LO Crawdaunt can clean up easily with Aqua Jet alone. Knock Off also does a ton to anything not invested in defense and Crabhammer is a safe, strong STAB move.

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt

Assault Vest Metagross is extremely powerful. With 252 Attack investment and Adamant nature, Metagross reaches the 400 Attack stat threshold. Metagross is my Gardevoir, Slurpuff, Diance counter. One Bullet Punch drops Gardevoir and Diance down to about 15~25% health, while Slurpuff will be taken out after a Belly Drum. Earthquake is a strong coverage move that hits Cobalion hard, and Zen Headbutt is for Crobat. Meteor Mash is another strong STAB that helps Metagross punish Fairies.

I know EV spreads are terrible, but any suggestions will be helpful.​

Importable
Yum (Gastrodon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Yum Jr. (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Discharge
- Heat Wave

Frosty (Abomasnow-Mega) @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake

My boy Frage (Chandelure) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Electric]

OHYEAMR.KRABS (Crawdaunt) @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt

Threat List

(you need these things right?)

Mega Sharpedo

If I dont play this monster right and it gets in for free, it can rampage my team.

Mamoswine

The closest check I have for this is Metagross/Gastro. Big problem

Hydreigon

Specs is the worst

Last edited:

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hi.

• Cobalion > Metagross is a pretty easy change to make. You already have a fairy resist in Chandelure so that gives you the freedom to make this change. You also lack Stealth Rock, which Cobalion provides and it also provides a check to Hydreigon, Mamoswine, as well as Sharpedo.
  • Tentacruel > Gastrodon would be another option I would consider. It adds another fairy resist, retains a fire resist and Toxic Spikes helps the Mega Abomasnow sweep by wearing down Fire-types amongst others. Rapid Spin also frees up a slot on Zapdos.
  • Krookodile > Crawdaunt looks like a good fit because with the removal of Gastrodon you lose a Volt Switch immunity. Krookodile also retains the capability of wallbreaking and retaining your check to Psychic-types.
  • On Chandelure I would run Choice Scarf > Choice Specs. Your team is in dire need of speed and Scarf Chande helps with that. The EV spread should be 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe with a Timid Nature. You should also run Fire Blast > Overheat because Fire Blast provides a much more consistent damage output in case it needs to clean. You also arent going to be securing any relevant ohkos / 2hkos with overheat either. Trick > HP Ground. HP ground hits nothing and Trick lets you cripple walls.
  • Change Zapdos to the offensive set. With the addition of Tentacruel you dont need the Defog on Zapdos and your team will not be as reliant on Mega Abomasnow to check bulky waters. I'll provide the set below.
**This is more optional, but try out a spread of EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe on Mega Abomasnow which allows you to creep Relaxed Pert and OHKO it without worrying about Scald burns. 92 speed with a Timid Nature on Tentacruel allows it to outspeed Mamoswine.

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 240 HP / 244 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes / Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Acid Spray

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Zapdos @ Life Orb / Zap Plate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Grass] / [Ice]
- Heat Wave

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thank you for giving me those suggestions, I will test them out and see how it will change the team. So far I know for a fact I am changing Metagross to Cobalion. I really like the Tentacruel and Krookodile options, and Offensive Zapdos sounds like it would round out the changes you made for the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)