Gen 6 Seedling - M-Altaria Bulky Offense, A Pure Hackmons RMT

dora_seedling_title.png

M-Altaria Bulky Offense - A Pure Hackmons RMT

Hello! It's supreeee, or AV Cosmoem on Pokemon Showdown, here with my second RMT. This time I'm going to look at my favorite format in all of Pokemon: Pure Hackmons. For those of you who don't know, Pure Hackmons is a format created on Pokemon Showdown back in Black and White, but actually dates before that. It originates from players using Game Shark to hack their Pokemon games, giving them access to all kinds of different hacked Pokemon. In the Generation 6 Pure Hackmons, the metagame largely revolves around Wonder Guards of different types. Therefore, the metagame also revolves around users of Mold Breaker, Teravolt, and Turboblaze, because they ignore Wonder Guard and can sweep very easily due to unlimited coverage options. There are also many methods to counter Mold Breaker and set-up, most notably Imposter and Prankster. This team aims to abuse the methods of countering Mold Breaker, and then allow its own Mold Breaker user to sweep. It also abuses defensive play from Wonder Guards, allowing for a second wincon with a different attacker.

The team got its name because of the game Seedling. I had recently finished this indie Zelda-like RPG, and I thoroughly enjoyed its amazing gameplay, strong story, and great world-building. It shows how you can get so caught up in lust that you forget the purpose of your actions. Anyway, I decided to name the team and its members around the game because of how much I enjoyed it.

Teambuilding Process

:latios-mega::altaria-mega:
The team started because I wanted to use Mega Altaria, my favorite Pokemon, in Pure Hackmons. When I heard it was viable, I immediately began making a team. The unique thing about Mega Altaria is that it doesn't have a main set; Mega Altaria can be tailored to the needs of the team. Its main usage is Imposter-proofing a Pokemon with Dragon, Fire, and Grass or Electric coverage, so I added a Mold Breaker Latios with exactly that. I opted for Grass-type coverage in order to hit Mega Swampert and Mega Gyarados. I then made Mega Altaria a Prankster Pokemon in order to use Topsy-Turvy on the Imposter's Shell Smash boosts.

:latios-mega::altaria-mega::registeel:
Right off the bat, both of the Pokemon on my team had a crippling weakness to Fairy, rendering them vulnerable to Mega Diancie and Play Rough Mega Mewtwo X. To fix this, I added a Magic Bounce Registeel, which aided in the matchup against offensive Fairy-types.

:latios-mega::altaria-mega::registeel::mewtwo-mega-x:

I decided that the best way to counter Mega Mewtwo X was with my own Mega Mewtwo X. As such, I enlisted my own Huge Power Mega Mewtwo X in order to take down the opposing Wonder Guards. Mega Latios handled most of the defensive play in Pure Hackmons, so I was free to run unorthodox coverage on Mega Mewtwo X to hit the outliers. It had Pursuit, Thousand Arrows, Drain Punch, and Gear Grind.

:latios-mega::altaria-mega::registeel::mewtwo-mega-x::scizor-mega:

My team still had 3 of its 4 members weak to Fairy. As such, I decided to deploy a Wonder Guard that resisted Fairy. Mega Scizor was the best choice out of these, and I already had two Fire resists, so I put it on the team.

:latios-mega::altaria-mega::registeel::mewtwo-mega-x::scizor-mega::chansey:

The team was in need of a revenge killer. Mega Mewtwo X's 130 Base Speed wouldn't cut it against the other fast offensive threats in the metagame, and Mega Latios's Speed is underwhelming before a Shell Smash. Both were stopped by several -atespeeders, though Registeel ultimately walled those. I decided to use Choice Scarf Imposter Chansey over a standard revenge killer, as many current revenge killers in the metagame are quite frail and drop to a combination of Fake Out and Extreme Speed from Mega Diancie, Mega Rayquaza, or Black Kyurem. Chansey, however, is incredibly bulky. I later changed Chansey to Eviolite as I found transforming into support Pokemon useful to this team as well. Chansey also disliked being locked into one move, as it sometimes meant it would have to cancel the sweep because it ran out of PP. I then had to swap out one of my Pokemon to make way for a second Wonder Guard, as Generation 6 Pure Hackmons teams needed at least two to properly work. Chansey had proven to be a strong addition to the team, I didn't want to lose offensive power by getting rid of Mega Mewtwo X, and Mega Latios, Mega Altaria, and Registeel could not be removed for obvious reasons. I wanted a Wonder Guard that could keep up offensive pressure but wouldn't fall to Xerneas, who was currently an obstacle, so I decided to turn Mega Mewtwo X into a Wonder Guard itself! I kept the same coverage, but changed Drain Punch to Close Combat for more power. I also changed Pursuit to Play Rough as it allowed me to hit some desired targets like Giratina much better.

The Team

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 7.50.23 PM.png

:xy/latios-mega:
Gundernourd (Latios-Mega) (M) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Turboblaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shell Smash
- Spacial Rend
- Seed Flare
- Blue Flare

Mega Latios is the premier Mold Breaker user in Generation 6 Pure Hackmons, due to its amazing Special Attack and Special Defense when coupled with Soul Dew. Its main issues are weaknesses to status and Imposter. Luckily, we can fix at least one of those issues! Mega Latios's set was specifically created so that Mega Altaria can Imposter-proof it. Being able to fully Imposter-proof Mega Latios makes it much more flexible, as Mega Latios is very stoppable even after it uses Shell Smash, as it is still vulnerable to priority and Imposter. Generally, a team's counterplay to Mega Latios if they lack an -atespeed user is to sacrifice a Pokemon and then bring in Imposter Chansey. Chansey will then proceed to sweep the opposing team as the Pokemon that can survive its boosted moves are very passive and are abused by Chansey's Spore or Dark Void. However, this Mega Latios notably lacks a sleep move. With it, Mega Latios could put Mega Altaria to sleep and then wear it down with coverage moves. Seed Flare's high chance to lower Special Defense by two stages would make it much more threatening to Mega Altaria's longevity. Priority users are also naturally dealt with by Registeel, who resists all forms of Extreme Speed and can even tank a Boomburst. Blue Flare is also very useful at OHKOing Steel-types who resist Spacial Rend and Blue Flare, such as Mega Scizor. Mega Latios was named after Gundernourd, the home of the Shieldspire.

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 7.52.33 PM.png

:xy/altaria-mega:
Rostef (Altaria-Mega) @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Topsy-Turvy
- Heal Order
- Parting Shot
- Judgment

Meet the star of the show. Mega Altaria is the Prankster user of the team. When coming up with Mega Altaria's set, I thought, "which set could Imposter-proof Mega Latios the best?" This would be difficult to do properly, as Mega Latios's Seed Flare could inflict Special Defense drops on Mega Altaria, which could be crucial to breaking through it. I had to work around this and not give Imposter Chansey enough time to abuse these Special Defense drops. I settled on a Prankster set with Topsy-Turvy, which immediately crippled the opposing Mega Latios by inverting its Special Attack and Speed boosts. The set also had to stop Mega Latios from simply using Shell Smash again to restore its boosts, while then wearing down Mega Altaria with Seed Flare. I decided against Taunt, as I didn't want to be passive against Magic Bounce, so instead I used Pixie Plate Judgment, which hit Mega Latios super effectively and discouraged it from using Shell Smash. This also gave it a very positive matchup against Giratina, as it could hit it super effectively and, in the case of Magic Bounce, use Parting Shot to force it to switch out after using Curse, leaving it crippled. In addition, Mega Altaria provided an immunity to Trick, which was unprecedented but helpful. Mega Altaria was named after Rostef, the ever long forest with twisting caves and the home of the Times.

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 12.06.50 AM.png

:xy/registeel:
Lacste (Registeel) @ Shed Shell
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Parting Shot
- Slack Off
- Defog

Registeel is the main counter to priority, as it resists every form of Extreme Speed: Normal, Fairy, Ice, and Flying. It also serves as Magic Bounce support. Both of these roles are crucial due to Mega Latios's disdain of both status and priority. Stealth Rock is also important as the team cannot hit Flying-types super effectively naturally, unless Mega Mewtwo X were to target a Pokemon with a Flying-type and another type that was weak to Ground without Wonder Guard with Thousand Arrows. However, such a scenario is unlikely to happen. A Steel-type resist is also very important, as Imposter Chansey taking the form of Mega Mewtwo X can 2HKO Mega Altaria with Gear Grind, making it an unsufficient initial switch-in. However, Mega Altaria can come in safely, Parting Shot to Registeel, then switch back in to Mega Mewtwo X. It should now avoid the 2HKO from Mega Mewtwo X's Gear Grind, and is now able to 2HKO it in return with Pixie Plate Judgment. Registeel also helps with Substitute + Baton Pass users that have Magic Bounce, such as Giratina, as Registeel can force them out with a Parting Shot and disrupt their strategy. Registeel can also use Parting Shot, go into Mega Altaria, have Mega Altaria use Parting Shot, go back into Registeel, and continue. This completely disrupts setup and possibly allows for Mega Altaria or Registeel to deal damage, break a subtitute, set hazards, or remove hazards. This is especially useful against Shell Smash users, as with enough Special Defense drops, Mega Altaria can OHKO them with Judgment. Registeel was named after Lacste, the abandoned ruins with many traps and the lair of the Totem.

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 8.13.08 PM.png

:xy/mewtwo-mega-x:
Trohn (Mewtwo-Mega-X) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Close Combat
- Gear Grind
- Thousand Arrows

Mega Latios is able to handle many of the Wonder Guards in the game, as mentioned before. This Mega Mewtwo X aims to defeat Wonder Guards or other Pokemon that Mega Latios struggles with. Play Rough's main target is Giratina, though it can be used to hit Kyurem and other Mega Mewtwo X. Close Combat is for hitting Steel-types and also acts a general STAB move. Gear Grind is used for Mega Audino and Mega Aerodactyl, two Pokemon that can give Mega Latios trouble. Thousand Arrows is a STAB move that rounds off the total coverage, hitting Pokemon such as Mega Manectric. It is given Wonder Guard because it is an offensive Wonder Guard that can keep up offensive pressure but not fall to Xerneas. Xerneas is rarely given Moonblast, instead opting for Shell Smash, Iron Plate Judgment, Freeze-Dry, and Fire coverage as its moveset most of the time. With Gear Grind, Mega Mewtwo X can pick off Xerneas and dodge its moves. Mega Scizor is unfit to beat Xerneas, as it has no moves that can hit it, and it is susceptible to its Fire-type moves, like Lava Plume. One thing to note about Mega Mewtwo X is that its Gear Grind only 3HKOs physically defensive Mega Audino. It does 2HKO specially defensive Mega Audino, but Mega Mewtwo X must be careful around these variants, especially the ones with ways of harming Mega Mewtwo X. There is a general lack of offensive power. You could potentially fix this by putting Shell Smash over Play Rough. However, Mega Mewtwo X would be vulnerable to other Huge Power as well as -atespeed, making its setup risky. Additionally, it would be walled by many Wonder Guards due to its lackluster coverage, and Imposter would completely stop it and force Mega Scizor in, which could be taken advantage of by hazard setters or offensive Pokemon. Mega Mewtwo X is named after Trohn, the half-submerged ice cave and the land of the Tentacled Beast.

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 9.38.05 PM.png

:xy/scizor-mega:
Woshad (Scizor-Mega) @ Shed Shell
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- U-turn
- Roost
- Sleep Talk

Mega Scizor is one of the best Wonder Guards, only having a weakness to Fire. The main standout of this set is Sleep Talk. As you have seen, there is no user of Lum Berry or Magic Coat on the team so far. This would make the team quite weak to Mold Breaker users with sleep moves, if not for Mega Scizor's Sleep Talk. Its U-turn is very powerful and can break most Substitutes. Toxic Spikes is an excellent hazard as it pressures defensive play greatly. Opposing Magic Bounce users may seek to bounce back the Toxic Spikes, but it isn't a major issue, since our Defog user, Registeel, is immune to Poison, and Mega Scizor itself is also immune to poison. However, beware of other team members being poisoned, as this team has no Aromatherapy user. Mega Scizor also serves as the Pokemon who Imposter-proofs Mega Mewtwo X. During this time, is able to freely set Toxic Spikes. However, this is also a very free opportunity for Magic Bounce Giratina to come in, so if you expect one, use U-turn. Roost is just a simple healing move. While Aromatherapy could be put over Sleep Talk, doing so would rid the team of a Mold Breaker sleep switch-in. Mega Scizor was named after Woshad, the cavern of darkness and the Lights.

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 11.51.18 PM.png

:xy/chansey:
Bosiniad (Chansey) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Whirlwind
- Final Gambit
- Recover

Imposter Chansey is a large glue to the team, as it likes a revenge killer who doesn't put Mega Altaria at risk. It can also copy support Pokemon, which is an especially large help if they carry Aromatherapy or Wish. Chansey is holding an Eviolite instead of a Choice Scarf because transforming into a support Pokemon is great help, and Chansey also dislikes being locked into one move as it sometimes has to cancel a sweep due to it running out of PP. The rest is standard. Chansey was named after Bosiniad, the realm of lava, ruled by the King of Fire.

Replays
Note - The replays have Mega Mewtwo X with Pursuit instead of Play Rough.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6customgame-1105023413 (vs The Move Reminder)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6customgame-1105295516 (vs Alexgrizz)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6customgame-1105304953-7uel2r8pnp2gy5phr9li2dyo9gg9hbcpw (vs BahamutLagoon)

Gundernourd (Latios-Mega) (M) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Turboblaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Spacial Rend
- Seed Flare
- Blue Flare

Rostef (Altaria-Mega) @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Topsy-Turvy
- Heal Order
- Parting Shot
- Judgment

Lacste (Registeel) @ Shed Shell
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Parting Shot
- Slack Off
- Defog

Trohn (Mewtwo-Mega-X) @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Close Combat
- Gear Grind
- Thousand Arrows

Woshad (Scizor-Mega) @ Shed Shell
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- U-turn
- Roost
- Sleep Talk

Bosiniad (Chansey) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Whirlwind
- Final Gambit
- Recover

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)