Gen 5 Seismitoad [Done]

[OVERVIEW]

Seismitoad has an interesting niche in BW OU as an anti-metagame supporter that can stop VoltTurn users such as Rotom-W. Refresh is the move Seismitoad's counterpart, Gastrodon, wishes it had, as blocking Will-O-Wisp is normally enough to prevent VoltTurn teams' progress. Seismitoad is also capable of walling the vast majority of the bulky Water-types in the metagame, making it a valid choice for some sand and rain teams. Its biggest problem is its lack of recovery outside of Leftovers and Rest, since even its good defensive stats are not perfect and switching into the wrong move is normally enough to put Seismitoad into KO range of the biggest OU threats, like Latios, Garchomp, and Alakazam.

[SET]
name: Utility
move 1: Scald
move 2: Refresh
move 3: Protect
move 4: Stealth Rock / Knock Off / Earthquake
item: Leftovers
ability: Water Absorb
nature: Bold
evs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Scald's most important function is fishing for burns, which lets Seismitoad not be entry hazard fodder for Skarmory and Ferrothorn, since they hate being burned on the switch. Refresh is what makes Seismitoad so valuable, since negating Toxic, Toxic Spikes, and Will-O-Wisp allows Seismitoad to neutralize bulky Water-types like Rotom-W, Politoed, Tentacruel, Milotic, and defensive Starmie. The primary use of Protect is to stack Leftovers recovery and sand damage, but it also lets Seismitoad scout Choice-locked Pokemon like Latios, Tyranitar, and Garchomp. Stealth Rock is an amazing option, as Seismitoad can pressure all spinners with the combination of Scald + Refresh and free up a moveslot for its teammates. Alternatively, Knock Off can make progress by removing items, making foes like Ferrothorn, Refresh Politoed, and opposing Seismitoad unable to regain health with Leftovers. Earthquake can be used to damage other Water-types—especially Keldeo, break Kyurem's Substitute, OHKO Heatran if it's not maximum HP, and damage Toxicroak. However, it lacks any other important targets, since Seismitoad has mediocre offensive stats, and forces it to run a Relaxed nature. Toxic can also be used in the last moveslot to deal with other Water-immune Pokemon, like Gastrodon and Jellicent, and to not be overly dependent on Scald burns to make progress. Dropping Protect for another support move is possible but never recommended, since losing the stability it provides alongside Leftovers hurts Seismitoad a lot in the long run.

Set Details
========
28 Speed EVs are used to outspeed standard specially defensive Heatran. 248 HP and 232 Defense EVs with a Bold nature prevent Seismitoad from being 2HKOed by Jolly Sand Force Excadrill's Earthquake after Protect. If running Earthquake, use 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD with a Relaxed nature.

Usage Tips
========
Do not waste any opportunity to bring Seismitoad safely to the field, since almost every team has a bulky Water-type. Spam Scald against Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Jirachi, and Tentacruel, as burns are the main way for Seismitoad to threaten them. Use Refresh as soon as Seismitoad gets inflicted with status so to not waste any HP. Do not let common Substitute users go unpunished, as Seismitoad attracts them, oftentimes being unable to break the Substitute of Pokemon like Breloom and Keldeo. Going for Scald to burn the foe or outright switching to achieve an advantageous position is best in these scenarios. Avoid using Protect too predictably. If using Stealth Rock, bring Seismitoad in as soon as possible to set it up. If using Knock Off, do not be afraid to predict switches, since its best targets in Ferrothorn, Latios, Jellicent, and Reuniclus love to switch into Seismitoad. Refresh, Stealth Rock, and Knock Off are Seismitoad's advantages over Gastrodon, so it should use them to their fullest.

Team Options
========
Since Seismitoad loves the chip damage sand provides, Tyranitar is one of its best partners, and it also Pursuit traps problematic Psychic-types like Latios and Reuniclus. Pokemon that can deal with Ferrothorn like Heatran, Breloom, Magnezone, and Xatu are a must, since Ferrothorn can use Seismitoad as entry hazard fodder. Xatu especially is an amazing partner for an anti-metagame core, shutting down entry hazard stacking and helping Seismitoad with Reflect support. Magnezone invalidates any free switch in that Ferrothorn or Skarmory tries to grab versus Seismitoad. Because Seismitoad is a bit passive, it loves having Spikes support from Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Offensive Pokemon that can benefit from Seismitoad's ability to nullify Rotom-W like Excadrill, Mamoswine, and Garchomp are also amazing partners. Pokemon that have ways to deal with Reuniclus like Latios, Scizor, Encore Alakazam, and Nasty Plot Celebi are needed on the team. Bulky Flying-types like Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Skarmory can help deal with Adamant Excadrill. Seismitoad can be used in rain structures to neuter Rotom-W, which is normally a nightmare for rain teams. In those, partners like Gyarados, Tentacruel, Scizor, Breloom, Latios, Latias, and Jirachi are good options.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Earth Power is similar to Earthquake and doesn't require a Speed-reducing nature, but it has a little less power, which can be an issue against Substitute Kyurem or Calm Mind Keldeo. Ice Punch is an option to not be setup fodder for Dragonite, Garchomp, and specially defensive Gliscor, and to deal some damage to Breloom, Celebi, and Amoonguss, but a valuable moveslot is used for it, and Seismitoad isn't OHKOing the Dragon- and Flying-types or 2HKOing the Grass-types anyway. Rest can be used over Refresh, but Seismitoad will never have an opportunity to wake up, so Heal Bell or Aromatherapy support is needed. Gastro Acid is a surprise option that has potential, since it nullifies Breloom and Gliscor's Poison Heal, Reuniclus's Magic Guard, and the Water immunities of Gastrodon, Jellicent, and opposing Seismitoad, but it is difficult to find a moveslot for it. A specially defensive or mixed defensive set is possible to better handle hits from Alakazam, Thundurus-T, and offensive Starmie, but Seismitoad will usually be taking strong physical hits, so having more Defense is normally ideal.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Poison Heal Breloom doesn't care about anything Seismitoad can do except for the rare Gastro Acid and can use it as setup fodder for Swords Dance, Bulk Up, or Substitute. Ferrothorn threatens Seismitoad away with Power Whip, which lets it safely set Spikes or Stealth Rock or use Knock Off, but it's deathly afraid of getting burned and having its item removed. Celebi can shrug off a Scald burn with Natural Cure, threaten a KO with Leaf Storm or Giga Drain, set up Stealth Rock, or use Seismitoad as setup fodder for Nasty Plot, Swords Dance, or Substitute. Amoonguss threatens an immediate KO with Giga Drain and can heal away the passive damage with Regenerator.

**Water-immune Pokemon**: Storm Drain Gastrodon can use Recover to outlast Seismitoad. Jellicent can heal HP with Water Absorb, burn Seismitoad with Will-O-Wisp, deal significant damage with Night Shade, and shut it down with Taunt. Opposing Seismitoad can beat your Seismitoad if they have Knock Off or Earthquake, or the rarer Gastro Acid, and yours doesn't. Toxicroak can set up Swords Dance or Substitute versus any Seismitoad that doesn't have Ground-type coverage. Defensive Starmie can use Rapid Spin against Seismitoad forever if it lacks Toxic and can also threaten it away with Psychic, Psyshock, or Ice Beam.

**Setup Sweepers**: Reuniclus can use Seismitoad to set up Calm Mind or Trick Room with no penalty outside of the uncommon Knock Off. Latias and Keldeo can easily set up Calm Mind or Substitute versus Seismitoad. With maximum Special Defense investment, Gliscor takes little damage from Scald and can use Seismitoad to set up Swords Dance or remove its item with Knock Off. Dragonite with Substitute and Dragon Dance can freely set up versus any variation of Seismitoad, since even Ice Punch does mediocre damage to it.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Powerful special attackers like Alakazam, Latios, and Hydreigon threaten a 2HKO with their STAB moves. Thundurus-T and Tornadus threaten an OHKO with Grass Knot but don't want to directly switch into Scald. Kyurem can use Seismitoad to safely set up Substitute and then punish it with its STAB moves. Keldeo can OHKO Seismitoad with Hidden Power Grass or deal great damage with Secret Sword boosted by Choice Specs or Fighting Gem. Heatran can grab a surprise KO with Hidden Power Grass or Sunny Day + SolarBeam.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Caetano93, 394051]]
- Quality checked by: [[Excal, 456373], [Finchinator, 114198]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429], [CryoGyro, 331519]]

Last edited:
With a very good defensive stats, the ability Water Absorb, a Water- and Gound-type, and a great support movepool consisting of Refresh, Stealth Rock, Toxic, and Knock Off, Seismitoad find itself with a intersting niche in BW OU of a anti-metagame supporter that can stop VoltTurn chains by completing shutting down Rotom-W. Seismitoad capacity of wall the vast majority of the bulky Water-types in the metagame is what make it a valid choice for some sand and rain teams. It bigest problem, however, is the lack of reliable recovery outside of Leftovers or Rest, since even its good defenisve stats are not perfect and a bad switch in predict normally is enought to put Seismitoad into KO range for the bigest OU threats.
When I think of Seismitoad's niche, I feel like Refresh is one of the biggest assets it has over something like Gastrodon, so maybe the overview should emphasize that move (and thus how it shuts down Rotom harder) a little bit more.

[SET]
move 3: Protect / Stealth Rock / Toxic
move 4: Stealth Rock / Toxic / Knock Off
Honestly I feel like Toxic is kinda meh, and I think EQ should definitely be slashed somewhere (and not in OO, maybe movie Toxic there). I'd say something like Scald, Refresh, Protect (this move seems so important), Knock / SR / EQ looks best for the main set and then you can mention tox in the moves description as another option.

28 Spe is used to outspeed standart specially defensive Heatran. 248 HP / 232 Def with a Bold nature let Seismitoad never be 2HKOed by Jolly Sand Force Excadrill Earthquake after Protect.
I wonder how important it is to outspeed SpD tran unless you have EQ to immediately threaten it. Seems like you kinda wall it anyway (assuming mono-plume)?

I think SpD toad has genuine merit on some teams, esp if they're looking for it to function a bit more as a thundy check. I've seen SpD toad in rain but it seems niche. I'd say at most it's worth mentioning in the set details as an alternative option for an EV spread.

Since Seismitoad loves the chip damage sand provides, Tyranitar is one of its best partners as it also help Pursuit traping problematic Psychic-types like Latios and Reuniclus. Pokemon that can deal with Ferrothorn like Heatran, Breloom, Magnezone, and Xatu are a must, since it can use Seismitoad as a entry hazard fodder. Offensive Pokemon that can abuse Seismitoad ability to nullify Rotom-W like Excadrill, Mamoswine, and Garchomp are also amazing partners. Pokemon that have ways to deal with Reuniclus, like Latios, Scizor, Encore Alakazam, and Nasty Plot Celebi are needed in the team. Bulky Flying-types like Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Skarmory to help dealing with Adamant Excadrill are also recomended. Seismitoad can be used in rain structures exactly to neuter Rotom-W, a Pokemon that is normally a nightmare for rain teams. In those, partners like Gyarados, Tentacruel, Scizor, Breloom, Latios, Latias, and Jirachi are good options.
I'd consider mentioning Ferrothorn as a teammate as well as maybe Xatu, the latter has particularly nice synergy that goes both ways.

**Water-immune Pokemon**: Seismitoad is immune to Scald because of Storm Drain, can use Recover to outstall Seismitoad, and defeat it with Ice Beam, Earth Power, or Earthquake. Jellicent heal HP with Water Absorb, can burn Seismitoad with Will-O-Wisp, deal significant damage with Night Shade, and shut it down with Taunt. Opposing Seismitoad can outstall you if they have Knock Off or the rarer Earthquake, Ice Beam, or Gastro Acid.
Refresh + Encore Politoed can shrug off Scald and force Seis out, granted it doesn't wanna get knocked. So something that can replenish/absorb status would be troublesome (I guess Milotic too lmao).

**Reuniclus**: Reuniclus can use Seismitoad to freely set up Calm Mind or Trick Room with no penality.
I don't think Reuniclus has no penalty unless Seismitoad lacks Knock Off, so I'd just throw that a mention here

I'd consider making a separate section in checks & counters for pkmn with grass-type attacks (like Keldeo and maybe HP Grass Tran? Thundurus and Tornadus come to mind too since that's using grass covg more). Also, you might wanna make a section for status absorbers. I assume SpD Gliscor can kinda counter or at least annoy Seismitoad once it activates its Toxic Orb.

0 SpA Seismitoad Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gliscor: 132-156 (37.2 - 44%)

QC 1/2
ExcalQC.gif

When I think of Seismitoad's niche, I feel like Refresh is one of the biggest assets it has over something like Gastrodon, so maybe the overview should emphasize that move (and thus how it shuts down Rotom harder) a little bit more.
I can rephrase it, for sure.

Honestly I feel like Toxic is kinda meh, and I think EQ should definitely be slashed somewhere (and not in OO, maybe movie Toxic there). I'd say something like Scald, Refresh, Protect (this move seems so important), Knock / SR / EQ looks best for the main set and then you can mention tox in the moves description as another option.
The thing with Ground coverage, as I said in the C&C discord, is that it really didn't add anything to Seismitoad, as it pressures literaly nothing except other Seismitoad (with are rare), non-Balloon Sunny Day Heatran, or Subs Keldeo. Toxic at least let you fight off Gastrodon, Recover Starmie, and Jellicent, who are more important targets anyway, alongside pressuring Latios in the switch in.

I wonder how important it is to outspeed SpD tran unless you have EQ to immediately threaten it. Seems like you kinda wall it anyway (assuming mono-plume)?
No matter the situation you don't want to let Heatran taunt you. It also let you finishg off a weakened Heatran before it status or set SR and the extra 24 Def didn't matter in any 2HKO calc..

I think SpD toad has genuine merit on some teams, esp if they're looking for it to function a bit more as a thundy check. I've seen SpD toad in rain but it seems niche. I'd say at most it's worth mentioning in the set details as an alternative option for an EV spread.
I can move it from oo, np.

I'd consider mentioning Ferrothorn as a teammate as well as maybe Xatu, the latter has particularly nice synergy that goes both ways.
Xatu I mentioned but I can explore it a little more. Ferrothorn I legit forgot to write about it...

Refresh + Encore Politoed can shrug off Scald and force Seis out, granted it doesn't wanna get knocked. So something that can replenish/absorb status would be troublesome (I guess Milotic too lmao).
Both Politoed and Milotic loses the x1 versus Seismitoad. Encore + Refresh Politoad can't touch it so there is no reason to swith out Seismitoad, and Milotic is in equal position to be PP stalled if sand is up.

I don't think Reuniclus has no penalty unless Seismitoad lacks Knock Off, so I'd just throw that a mention here
Good catch.

I'd consider making a separate section in checks & counters for pkmn with grass-type attacks (like Keldeo and maybe HP Grass Tran? Thundurus and Tornadus come to mind too since that's using grass covg more). Also, you might wanna make a section for status absorbers. I assume SpD Gliscor can kinda counter or at least annoy Seismitoad once it activates its Toxic Orb.

0 SpA Seismitoad Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gliscor: 132-156 (37.2 - 44%)
I don't think an exclusive section for HP Grass is needed, but i can add more offensive options in strong spa attackers. Gliscor is anoying for sure but at the same time it don't want to be receiving Scalds as it lose it function of a Excadrill check.

EDIT: I'm not marking this 1/2 since there is still the issue if EQ need to be in the main set or not. When the BW QC got a positioning in this, I will mark Excal QC.

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
If Xatu gets its own sentence in team options, Magnezone absolutely should as well. Magnezone is more mainstream and is able to remove Ferrothorn, which assists Seismitoad.

In usage tips, dedicate a sentence to the distinction between it and Gastrodon as many people may realize similarities. They play very differently, however. Refresh lets Seismitoad sponge status, it has options to get up Stealth Rock and click Knock Off. On the contrary, Gastrodon has better bulk naturally, Recover, and the ability to run a wider array of offensive options and Clear Smog.

Set is fine, c&c is perfect, 2/2

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Amateur check
AC - Add Comma, AP - Add Period, RC - Remove Comma
add remove comment

Hi! I recommend using this video to implement this am check. Just so you know this does NOT count toward the GP requirement!

[OVERVIEW]

With a very good defensive stats, the ability Water Absorb, a Water- and Gound Ground-type, and a great support movepool consisting of Stealth Rock, Knock Off, and Toxic. (AP) Seismitoad find itself with an intersting interesting niche in BW OU of a anti-metagame supporter that can stop VoltTurn chains by completing shutting down users such as Rotom-W. Refresh is what lets Seismitoad do this and is the move its counterpart, Gastrodon, wishes to have as blocking Will-O-Wisp is normally enought to prevent progress in VoltTurn teams. Its also capable of walling the vast majority of the bulky Water-types in the metagame, makeing making it a valid choice for some sand and rain teams. Its bigest biggest problem, however, is the lack of reliable recovery outside of Leftovers or Rest, since even its good defenisve defensive stats are not perfect and a bad switch in predict normally is enought enough to put Seismitoad into KO range for the bigest biggest OU threats.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Scald most important function is for fishing burns, and this is for Seismitoad not be a hazard stack for Skarmory and Ferrothon, since both of them hates being burn on the switch. Scald also let Seismitoad pressure Excadrill, Landorus-T, and non-specially defensive Gliscor. Refresh is what makes Seismitoad so valuable, (AC) since it negates Toxic, Toxic Spikes, and Will-O-Wisp status, alowing allowing Seismitoad to neutralize bulky Water-types like Rotom-W, Politoed, Tentacruel, Milotic, and defensive Starmie. Protect primary use The Primary use of Protect is to stack Leftovers recovery and sand damage but it also lets Seismitoad scout Choice-locked Pokemon like Latios, Tyranitar, (AC) and Garchomp. Stealth Rock is an amazing option, (AC) since Seismitoad can pressure all metagame spinners with the combination of Scald + Refresh and also free the move slot moveslot for its teammates. Knock Off is an alternative to make progress by removing items, making foes like Ferrothorn, Refresh Politoed, and opposing Seismitoad unable to regain health in front of it. Earthquake can be used to have ways to damage other Water-types, especially Keldeo, to break Kyurem's Substitute, OHKO Heatran if its it's not maximum HP, and to have a way to damage Toxicroak, but lack any other important target, (AC) since Seismitoad have has mediocre offensive stats and forces it to run a Relaxed nature. Toxic can also be used in the last slot to have a way to deal with other Water-immune Pokemon like Gastrodon and Jellicent, and to not be overly dependent on Scald burn to make progress. Droping Dropping Protect for another support move is possible but never recomended recommended, since losing the stabillity stability it provides alongside Leftovers hurts Seismitoad a lot in the long run.

Set Details
========
28 Speed EVs is used to outspeed standart standard specially defensive Heatran. 248 HP / 232 Def with a Bold nature let prevents Seismitoad never from being 2HKOed by Jolly Sand Force Excadrill's Earthquake after Protect. If running Earthquake, use an optimized spread of 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD with a Relaxed nature.

Usage Tips
========
Do not waste any oportunity opportunity to bring Seismitoad safely to the field, (AC) since almost every team may have a bulky Water-type. Abuse Scald to fish for burn since getting Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Jirachi, and Tentacruel burned is normally the only way Seismitoad have to fight them Spam Scald against Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Jirachi, and Tentacruel, as burns are the main way for Seismitoad threaten them. Use Refresh as soon as Seismitoad gets inflicted with status as statused to not waste any HP. Playing smart with your health bar is the fundamental stone for it game sucess. Do not let common Substitute users unpunished since Seismitoad attract them; either go agressive with Scald or do a switch Do not let common Substitute users go unpunished, as Seismitoad attracts them, oftentimes being unable to break the Substitute of Pokemon like Breloom and Keldeo. Going for a Scald to burn the foe or outright switching to achieve an advantageous position through other means is best in these scenarios. (I wasn't sure on what you were trying to convey here but Finch knew and created that sentence that I added!) Play smart with Protect to not be to predictable with it. If using Stealth Rock, bring Seismitoad as soon as possible to set them up. If using Knock Off, do not be afraid to predict switches, since its best targets (RC) Ferrothorn, Latios, Jellicent, and Reuniclus loves to switch in switch-in front of Seismitoad. Even if it shares similarities with Gastrodon (RC) because of its typing and Water-immunity ability, Seismitoad is played very diferently differently of its counterpart because of Refresh; Refresh lets Seismitoad sponge status, it has options to get up Stealth Rock and click Knock Off. Those unique traits is what make Seismitoad more valuable than Gastrodon in some teams, since Gastrodon has better bulk naturally, Recover, and the ability to run a wider array of offensive options and Clear Smog.

Team Options
========
Since Seismitoad loves the chip damage sand provides, Tyranitar is one of its best partners, (AC) as it also help Pursuit traping trap problematic Psychic-types like Latios and Reuniclus. Pokemon that can deal with Ferrothorn like Heatran, Breloom, Magnezone, and Xatu are a must, since it they can use Seismitoad as a entry hazard fodder. Xatu especially is an amazing partner for a anti-metagame combo, as alongside shutting down hazard stack, it can also help Seismitoad back with Reflect support. Magnezone too is amazing, (AC) since it invalidates any free switch in that Ferrothorn or Skarmory tries to grab versus Seismitoad. Because Seismitoad is a bit passive, it loves having Spikes support, (AC) so a Ferrothorn or a Skarmory are pretty good partners. Offensive Pokemon that can abuse benefit from Seismitoad's ability to nullify Rotom-W like Excadrill, Mamoswine, and Garchomp are also amazing partners. Pokemon that have ways to deal with Reuniclus (RC) like Latios, Scizor, Encore Alakazam, and Nasty Plot Celebi are needed in the team. Bulky Flying-types like Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Skarmory to help dealing can help deal with Adamant Excadrill are also recomended recommended. Seismitoad can be used in rain structures exactly to neuter Rotom-W, a Pokemon that is normally a nightmare for rain teams. In those (RC) partners like Gyarados, Tentacruel, Scizor, Breloom, Latios, Latias, and Jirachi are good options.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Earth Power may have the same the idea and utility of Earthquake, and didn't need to lower Seismitoad Speed, but have a little less power with is a problem if facing Substitute Kyurem or Calm Mind Keldeo. Earth Power is similar to Earthquake but the latter has less power, which can be an issue when facing Substitute Kyurem. (If you meant something else please change) Ice Beam and Ice Punch are options to not be a setup fodder for Dragonite, Garchomp, specially defensive Gliscor, and to deal some damage to Breloom, Celebi, and Amoonguss, but you use a valuable moveslot is used for it and Seismitoad isn't doing a OHKO versus the Dragon- or Flying-types, or a 2HKO versus the Grass-types anyway. Rest is your only option for recovery and can be used over Refresh, but Seismitoad will never have an oportunity opportunity to woke wake up so a Heal Bell or Aromatherapy support is needed with this. Gastro Acid is a surprise option that have a lot of has potential, (AC) since it nullifies Poison Heal from Breloom and Gliscor, Magic Guard from Reuniclus, and the Water-immunity from Gastrodon, Jellicent, and opposing Seismitoad, but it is dificult difficult to find a slot for it in the moveset. A specially defensive or a mixed defensive set are also possible to better handle hits from Alakazam, Thundurus-T, and offensive Starmie but most of the time Seismitoad will be taking strong physical hits, (AC) so having more Defense is normally the ideal.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Poison Heal Breloom don't doesn't care about anything Seismitoad can do except for the rare Gastro Acid, and can use it as a setup fodder for Swords Dance, Bulk Up, or Substitute. Ferrothorn threaten Seismitoad away with Power Whip, (AC) which lets it safely set lets letting it set safely Spikes or Stealth Rock, or to use Knock Off, but its it's deadly afraid of geting getting burned and dislike having its item removed. Celebi can shrug off a Scald burn with Natural Cure, threaten a KO with Leaf Storm or Giga Drain, can set up Stealth Rock, or use Seismitoad as a setup fodder for Nasty Plot, Swords Dance, or Substitute. Amoonguss threatens an imediate immediate KO with Giga Drain and can heal away the passive damage with Regenerator.

**Water-immune Pokemon**: Gastrodon is immune to Scald because of Storm Drain, can use Recover to outstall Seismitoad, and defeat it with Ice Beam, Earth Power, or Earthquake. Jellicent can heal HP with Water Absorb, can burn Seismitoad with Will-O-Wisp, deal significant damage with Night Shade, and shut it down with Taunt. Opposing Seismitoad can outstall you it if they have Knock Off or Earthquake, or the rarer Ice Beam or Gastro Acid. Toxicroak can set up a Swords Dance or Substitute versus any Seismitoad that don't have Ground-type coverage. Defensive Starmie can use Rapid Spin versus Seismitoad forever if the latter lack Toxic, and can also threaten it away with Psychic, Psyshock, or Ice Beam.

**Setup Sweepers**: Reuniclus can use Seismitoad to freely set up Calm Mind or Trick Room with no penality penalty outside of the uncommon Knock Off. Latias and Keldeo both can easy set up easily setup Calm Mind or Substitute versus Seismitoad. With maximum Special Defense, Gliscor takes little damage from Scald and can use Seismitoad to set up Swords Dance or remove its item with Knock Off. Dragonite with Substitute and Dragon Dance can freely set up versus any variation of Seismitoad, (AC) since even Ice Beam did does mediocre damage against it.

**Strong special attackers**: Powerful special attackers like Alakazam, Latios, and Hydreigon (RC) threatens a 2HKO with their STAB moves. Thundurus-T and Tornadus threaten an imediate immediate OHKO with Grass Knot but they don't want to enter directly into a Scald. Kyurem can use Seismitoad to safely set up Substitute and then threaten punish it with its STAB moves. Keldeo can OHKO Seismitoad with Hidden Power Grass or deal great damage with Secret Sword with a Choice Specs or a Fight Gem. Heatran can grab a surprise KO with Hidden Power Grass or with a Sunny Day + Solarbeam combo.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

Last edited:

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC)/(RC): Add/Remove Comma

[OVERVIEW]

With a very good defensive stats, the ability Water Absorb, a Water- and Ground-type Ground typing, Refresh, (did ground and not both types bc ground specifically relevant to stopping VoltTurn) and a great support movepool consisting of Stealth Rock, Knock Off, and Toxic. Seismitoad find itself with an interesting niche in BW OU of a as an anti-metagame supporter that can stop VoltTurn users such as Rotom-W. Refresh is what lets Seismitoad do this and is the move its counterpart, Gastrodon, wishes to have as the move Seismitoad's counterpart, Gastrodon, wishes it had, as blocking Will-O-Wisp is normally enough to prevent progress in against VoltTurn teams. Its Seismitoad is also capable of walling the vast majority of the bulky Water-types in the metagame, making it a valid choice for some sand and rain teams. Its biggest problem, however, is the its lack of reliable recovery outside of Leftovers or and Rest, since even its good defensive stats are not perfect and a bad switch in predict mispredicting a switch-in normally is enough to put Seismitoad into KO range for the biggest OU threats.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Scald's most important function is for fishing for burns, and this is for Seismitoad not be a hazard stack which lets Seismitoad not be hazard stack fodder for Skarmory and Ferrothon, since both of them hates being burned on the switch. Scald also lets Seismitoad pressure Excadrill, Landorus-T, and non-specially defensive Gliscor. Refresh is what makes Seismitoad so valuable, since it negates status from Toxic, Toxic Spikes, and Will-O-Wisp status, allowing Seismitoad to neutralize bulky Water-types like Rotom-W, Politoed, Tentacruel, Milotic, and defensive Starmie. The primary use of Protect is to stack Leftovers recovery and sand damage, (AC) but it also lets Seismitoad scout Choice-locked Pokemon like Latios, Tyranitar, and Garchomp. Stealth Rock is an amazing option, since Seismitoad can pressure all metagame spinners with the combination of Scald + Refresh and also free up the moveslot for its teammates. Knock Off is an alternative to make progress by removing items, making foes like Ferrothorn, Refresh Politoed, and opposing Seismitoad unable to regain health in front of it. Earthquake can be used to damage other Water-types—especially (replaced comma with emdash) Keldeo, to break Kyurem's Substitute, OHKO Heatran if it's not maximum HP, and to have a way to damage Toxicroak. (comma -> period) but lack However, it lacks any other important targets, since Seismitoad has mediocre offensive stats, (AC) and forces it to run a Relaxed nature. Toxic can also be used in the last moveslot to have a way to deal with other Water-immune Pokemon, (AC) like Gastrodon and Jellicent, and to not be overly dependent on Scald burns to make progress. Dropping Protect for another support move is possible but never recommended, since losing the stability it provides alongside Leftovers hurts Seismitoad a lot in the long run.

Set Details
========
28 Speed EVs is are used to outspeed standard specially defensive Heatran. 248 HP / and 232 Defense EVs with a Bold nature prevents Seismitoad from being 2HKOed by Jolly Sand Force Excadrill's Earthquake after Protect. If running Earthquake, use an optimized spread of 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD with a Relaxed nature.

Usage Tips
========
Do not waste any opportunity to bring Seismitoad safely to the field, since almost every team may have has a bulky Water-type. Spam Scald against Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Jirachi, and Tentacruel, as burns are the main way for Seismitoad to threaten them. Use Refresh as soon as Seismitoad gets inflicted with status as to not waste any HP. Do not let common Substitute users go unpunished, as Seismitoad attracts them, oftentimes being unable to break the Substitute of Pokemon like Breloom and Keldeo. Going for a Scald to burn the foe or outright switching to achieve an advantageous position through other means is best in these scenarios. Play smart with Protect as to not be to predictable with it. If using Stealth Rock, bring Seismitoad in as soon as possible to set them it up. If using Knock Off, do not be afraid to predict switches, since its best targets in Ferrothorn, Latios, Jellicent, and Reuniclus love to switch in (removed hyphen) front of Seismitoad. Even if it Seismitoad shares similarities with Gastrodon because of its Gastrodon's typing and Water-immunity ability, Seismitoad is played very differently of its counterpart Water immunity, it is played very differently because of Refresh; Refresh, (AC) which lets Seismitoad sponge status, it has options to get up Stealth Rock and click Knock Off. Those unique traits is what make Seismitoad more valuable than Gastrodon in some teams, since Gastrodon has better bulk naturally, Take advantage of Refresh and Stealth Rock or Knock Off, since, without these moves, Gastrodon surpasses Seismitoad thanks to its better bulk, Recover, and the ability to run a wider array of offensive options, (AC) and Clear Smog.

Team Options
========
Since Seismitoad loves the chip damage sand provides, Tyranitar is one of its best partners, as it also help and it also helps Pursuit trap problematic Psychic-types like Latios and Reuniclus. Pokemon that can deal with Ferrothorn like Heatran, Breloom, Magnezone, and Xatu are a must, since they Ferrothorn can use Seismitoad as a entry hazard fodder. Xatu especially is an amazing partner for a anti-metagame combo, as alongside shutting down hazard stack, it can also help stacking and helping Seismitoad back with Reflect support. Magnezone too is amazing, since it invalidates any free switch in that Ferrothorn or Skarmory tries to grab versus Seismitoad. Because Seismitoad is a bit passive, it loves having Spikes support (RC) so Ferrothorn or Skarmory are pretty good partners from Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Offensive Pokemon that can benefit from Seismitoad's ability to nullify Rotom-W like Excadrill, Mamoswine, and Garchomp are also amazing partners. Pokemon that have ways to deal with Reuniclus like Latios, Scizor, Encore Alakazam, and Nasty Plot Celebi are needed in the team. Bulky Flying-types like Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Skarmory can help deal with Adamant Excadrill are also recommended. Seismitoad can be used in rain structures to neuter Rotom-W, a Pokemon that is normally a nightmare for rain teams. In those, (AC) partners like Gyarados, Tentacruel, Scizor, Breloom, Latios, Latias, and Jirachi are good options.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Earth Power is similar to Earthquake and didn't need to use doesn't require a Speed-reducing nature, but it has a little less power, which can be an issue when facing Substitute Kyurem or Calm Mind Keldeo. Ice Beam and Ice Punch are options to not be setup fodder for Dragonite, Garchomp, and specially defensive Gliscor, and to deal some damage to Breloom, Celebi, and Amoonguss, but a valuable moveslot is used for it, (AC) and Seismitoad isn't doing a OHKO versus OHKOing the Dragon- or and Flying-types (RC) or a 2HKO versus 2HKOing the Grass-types anyway. Rest is your only option for recovery and can be used over Refresh, but Seismitoad will never have an opportunity to wake up, (AC) so a Heal Bell or Aromatherapy support is needed with this it. Gastro Acid is a surprise option that has potential, since it nullifies Poison Heal from Breloom and Gliscor, Magic Guard from Reuniclus, Breloom and Gliscor's Poison Heal, Reuniclus's Magic Guard, and the Water-immunity from Water immunities of Gastrodon, Jellicent, and opposing Seismitoad, but it is difficult to find a moveslot for it in the moveset. A specially defensive or a mixed defensive set are is also possible to better handle hits from Alakazam, Thundurus-T, and offensive Starmie, (AC) but most of the time Seismitoad will be taking strong physical hits, so having more Defense is normally ideal.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Poison Heal Breloom doesn't care about anything Seismitoad can do except for the rare Gastro Acid (RC) and can use it as setup fodder for Swords Dance, Bulk Up, or Substitute. Ferrothorn threatens Seismitoad away with Power Whip, which lets it safely set Spikes or Stealth Rock (RC) or to use Knock Off, but it's deadly deathly afraid of getting burned and having its item removed. Celebi can shrug off a Scald burn with Natural Cure, threaten a KO with Leaf Storm or Giga Drain, can set up Stealth Rock, or use Seismitoad as a setup fodder for Nasty Plot, Swords Dance, or Substitute. Amoonguss threatens an immediate KO with Giga Drain and can heal away the passive damage with Regenerator.

**Water-immune Pokemon**: Gastrodon is immune to Scald because of Storm Drain, can use Recover to outstall Seismitoad, and can defeat it with Ice Beam, Earth Power, or Earthquake. Jellicent can heal HP with Water Absorb, can burn Seismitoad with Will-O-Wisp, deal significant damage with Night Shade, and shut it down with Taunt. Opposing Seismitoad can outstall it your Seismitoad if they have Knock Off or Earthquake, or the rarer Ice Beam or Gastro Acid, (AC) and yours doesn't. Toxicroak can set up a Swords Dance or Substitute versus any Seismitoad that don't doesn't have Ground-type coverage. Defensive Starmie can use Rapid Spin versus Seismitoad forever if the latter it lacks Toxic (RC) and can also threaten it away with Psychic, Psyshock, or Ice Beam.

**Setup Sweepers**: Reuniclus can use Seismitoad to freely set up Calm Mind or Trick Room with no penalty outside of the uncommon Knock Off. Latias and Keldeo both can easily set up (was "setup") Calm Mind or Substitute versus Seismitoad. With maximum Special Defense investment, Gliscor takes little damage from Scald and can use Seismitoad to set up Swords Dance or remove its item with Knock Off. Dragonite with Substitute and Dragon Dance can freely set up versus any variation of Seismitoad, since even Ice Beam does mediocre damage against to it.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Powerful special attackers like Alakazam, Latios, and Hydreigon threatens a 2HKO with their STAB moves. Thundurus-T and Tornadus threaten an OHKO with Grass Knot but they don't want to enter directly into a Scald. Kyurem can use Seismitoad to safely set up Substitute and then punish it with its STAB moves. Keldeo can OHKO Seismitoad with Hidden Power Grass or deal great damage with Secret Sword with a boosted by Choice Specs or a Fighting Gem. Heatran can grab a surprise KO with Hidden Power Grass or with a Sunny Day + SolarBeam combo.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429], [, ]]

finland-GP.gif

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Amchecking for the first time in a good long while...don't have to implement, not official, yada yada yada.
Add
Remove
Comments
Highlight for comments
(AC) = Add Comma
(RC) = Remove Comma

[OVERVIEW]

With very good defensive stats, Water Absorb, Ground typing, Refresh, and a great support movepool consisting of Stealth Rock, Knock Off, and Toxic., (AC, remove period) Seismitoad finds itself with an interesting niche in BW OU as an anti-metagame supporter that can stop VoltTurn users, (AC) such as Rotom-W. Refresh is the move Seismitoad's counterpart, Gastrodon, wishes it had, as blocking Will-O-Wisp is normally enough to prevent progress against VoltTurn teams. Seismitoad is also capable of walling the vast majority of the bulky Water-types in the metagame, making it a valid choice for some sand and rain teams. Its biggest problem, however, is its lack of recovery outside of Leftovers and Rest, since even its good defensive stats are not perfect and mispredicting a switch-in normally is is normally (word order flows more) enough to put Seismitoad into KO range for the biggest OU threats.(maybe some examples here? not qc obv, but it ends a bit abruptly.)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
======== When going over the last slots, you could use "Alternatively" prior to Knock Off and "Lastly" prior to Earthquake to make it more engaging. Optional change though, it's purely subjective.
Scald's most important function is fishing for burns, which lets Seismitoad not be hazard stack fodder for Skarmory and Ferrothorn (spelling), since both of them hate being burned on the switch. Scald also lets Seismitoad pressure Excadrill, Landorus-T, and non-specially defensive Gliscor. Refresh is what makes Seismitoad so valuable, since it negates status from Toxic, Toxic Spikes, and Will-O-Wisp, allowing Seismitoad to neutralize bulky Water-types like Rotom-W, Politoed, Tentacruel, Milotic, and defensive Starmie. The primary use of Protect is to stack Leftovers recovery and sand damage, but it also lets Seismitoad scout Choice-locked Pokemon like Latios, Tyranitar, and Garchomp. Stealth Rock is an amazing option, since as (less repetition on since, and it's more correct with the comma iirc) Seismitoad can pressure all metagame spinners with the combination of Scald + Refresh and also free up the moveslot for its teammates. Knock Off is an alternative to make progress by removing items, making foes like Ferrothorn, Refresh Politoed, and opposing Seismitoad unable to regain health in front of it (may want to specifically mention Leftovers here to be more specific, also "in front of it" implies it's temporary and doesn't really add much). Earthquake can be used to damage other Water-types—especially Keldeo, break Kyurem's Substitute, OHKO Heatran if it's not maximum HP, and damage Toxicroak. However, it lacks any other important targets, since Seismitoad has mediocre offensive stats, and forces it to run a Relaxed nature. Toxic can also be used in the last moveslot to have a way to deal with other Water-immune Pokemon, like Gastrodon and Jellicent, and to not be overly dependent on Scald burns to make progress. Dropping Protect for another support move is possible but never recommended, since losing the stability it provides alongside Leftovers hurts Seismitoad a lot in the long run. Shouldn't this be a paragraph in OO since the moves aren't on the set itself? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Set Details
========
28 Speed EVs are used to outspeed standard specially defensive Heatran. 248 HP and 232 Defense EVs with a Bold nature prevent Seismitoad from being 2HKOed by Jolly Sand Force Excadrill's Earthquake after Protect. If running Earthquake, use an optimized spread of 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD with a Relaxed nature.

Usage Tips
========
Do not waste any opportunity to bring Seismitoad safely to the field, since almost every team has a bulky Water-type. Spam Scald against Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Jirachi, and Tentacruel, as burns are the main way for Seismitoad to threaten them. Use Refresh as soon as Seismitoad gets inflicted with status as so to not waste any HP. Do not let common Substitute users go unpunished, as Seismitoad attracts them, oftentimes being unable to break the Substitute of Pokemon like Breloom and Keldeo. Going for a Scald to burn the foe or outright switching to achieve an advantageous position is best in these scenarios. Play smart with Protect as so to not be too predictable with it. If using Stealth Rock, bring Seismitoad in as soon as possible to set it up. If using Knock Off, do not be afraid to predict switches, since its best targets in Ferrothorn, Latios, Jellicent, and Reuniclus love to switch in front of Seismitoad. Even if Seismitoad shares Gastrodon's typing and Water immunity, it is played very differently because of Refresh, which lets Seismitoad sponge status. Take advantage of Refresh and Stealth Rock or Knock Off, since, without these moves, Gastrodon surpasses Seismitoad thanks to its better bulk, Recover, a wider array of offensive options, and Clear Smog.

Team Options
========
Since Seismitoad loves the chip damage sand provides, Tyranitar is one of its best partners, and it also helps Pursuit trap problematic Psychic-types like Latios and Reuniclus. Pokemon that can deal with Ferrothorn like Heatran, Breloom, Magnezone, and Xatu are a must, since Ferrothorn can use Seismitoad as entry hazard fodder. Xatu especially is an amazing partner for an anti-metagame combo, shutting down hazard stacking and helping Seismitoad back with Reflect support. Magnezone too is amazing, since it invalidates any free switch in that Ferrothorn or Skarmory tries to grab versus Seismitoad. Because Seismitoad is a bit passive, it loves having Spikes support from Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Offensive Pokemon that can benefit from Seismitoad's ability to nullify Rotom-W like Excadrill, Mamoswine, and Garchomp are also amazing partners. Pokemon that have ways to deal with Reuniclus like Latios, Scizor, Encore Alakazam, and Nasty Plot Celebi are needed in on the team. Bulky Flying-types like Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Skarmory can help deal with Adamant Excadrill. Seismitoad can be used in rain structures to neuter Rotom-W, a Pokemon that is normally a nightmare for rain teams. In those, partners like Gyarados, Tentacruel, Scizor, Breloom, Latios, Latias, and Jirachi are good options.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Earth Power is similar to Earthquake and doesn't require a Speed-reducing nature, but it has a little less power, which can be an issue when facing Substitute Kyurem or Calm Mind Keldeo. Ice Beam and Ice Punch are options to not be setup fodder for Dragonite, Garchomp, and specially defensive Gliscor, and to deal some damage to Breloom, Celebi, and Amoonguss, but a valuable moveslot is used for it, and Seismitoad isn't OHKOing the Dragon- and Flying-types or 2HKOing the Grass-types anyway. Rest is your only option for recovery and can be used over Refresh, but Seismitoad will never have an opportunity to wake up, so Heal Bell or Aromatherapy support is needed with it. Gastro Acid is a surprise option that has potential, since it nullifies Breloom and Gliscor's Poison Heal, Reuniclus's Magic Guard, and the Water immunities of Gastrodon, Jellicent, and opposing Seismitoad, but it is difficult to find a moveslot for it. A specially defensive or mixed defensive set is also possible to better handle hits from Alakazam, Thundurus-T, and offensive Starmie, but most of the time Seismitoad will be taking strong physical hits, so having more Defense is normally ideal.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Poison Heal Breloom doesn't care about anything Seismitoad can do except for the rare Gastro Acid and can use it as setup fodder for Swords Dance, Bulk Up, or Substitute. Ferrothorn threatens Seismitoad away with Power Whip, which lets it safely set Spikes or Stealth Rock or use Knock Off, but it's deathly afraid of getting burned and having its item removed. Celebi can shrug off a Scald burn with Natural Cure, threaten a KO with Leaf Storm or Giga Drain, set up Stealth Rock, or use Seismitoad as setup fodder for Nasty Plot, Swords Dance, or Substitute. Amoonguss threatens an immediate KO with Giga Drain and can heal away the passive damage with Regenerator.

**Water-immune Pokemon**: Gastrodon is immune to Scald because of Storm Drain, can use Recover to outstall Seismitoad, and can defeat it with Ice Beam, Earth Power, or Earthquake. Jellicent can heal HP with Water Absorb, burn Seismitoad with Will-O-Wisp, deal significant damage with Night Shade, and shut it down with Taunt. Opposing Seismitoad can outstall your Seismitoad if they have Knock Off or Earthquake, or the rarer Ice Beam or Gastro Acid, and yours doesn't. Toxicroak can set up a Swords Dance or Substitute versus any Seismitoad that doesn't have Ground-type coverage. Defensive Starmie can use Rapid Spin versus Seismitoad forever if it lacks Toxic and can also threaten it away with Psychic, Psyshock, or Ice Beam.

**Setup Sweepers**: Reuniclus can use Seismitoad to set up Calm Mind or Trick Room with no penalty outside of the uncommon Knock Off. Latias and Keldeo both can easily set up Calm Mind or Substitute versus Seismitoad. With maximum Special Defense investment, Gliscor takes little damage from Scald and can use Seismitoad to set up Swords Dance or remove its item with Knock Off. Dragonite with Substitute and Dragon Dance can freely set up versus any variation of Seismitoad, since even Ice Beam does mediocre damage to it.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Powerful special attackers like Alakazam, Latios, and Hydreigon threaten a 2HKO with their STAB moves. Thundurus-T and Tornadus threaten an OHKO with Grass Knot but they don't want to enter directly into a Scald. Kyurem can use Seismitoad to safely set up Substitute and then punish it with its STAB moves. Keldeo can OHKO Seismitoad with Hidden Power Grass or deal great damage with Secret Sword boosted by Choice Specs or a Fighting Gem. Heatran can grab a surprise KO with Hidden Power Grass or Sunny Day + SolarBeam.

[CREDITS]

Last edited:
Amchecking for the first time in a good long while...don't have to implement, not official, yada yada yada.
Add
Remove
Comments
Highlight for comments
(AC) = Add Comma
(RC) = Remove Comma
Remember to do the AM checks in a spoiler or will be more dificult to implement it.

EDIT: AM check implemented. About the Toxic mention: Its ok to have some other options explained in the sets comments, as they are good moves, just not common enough to be in the main set. What we do is minimize this by one, max two, if trully important mentions.

Last edited:
GP 2/2
OVERVIEW]

With very good defensive stats, Water Absorb, Ground typing, Refresh, and a great support movepool consisting of Stealth Rock, Knock Off, and Toxic, (none of this is very useful without elaboration) Seismitoad finds itself with has an interesting niche in BW OU as an anti-metagame supporter that can stop VoltTurn users, (comma) such as Rotom-W. Refresh is the move Seismitoad's counterpart, Gastrodon, wishes it had, as blocking Will-O-Wisp is normally enough to prevent progress against VoltTurn teams' (apo) progress. Seismitoad is also capable of walling the vast majority of the bulky Water-types in the metagame, making it a valid choice for some sand and rain teams. Its biggest problem, (comma) however, is its lack of recovery outside of Leftovers and Rest, since even its good defensive stats are not perfect and mispredicting a switch-in switching into the wrong move is normally enough to put Seismitoad into KO range for of the biggest OU threats, like Latios, Garchomp, and Alakazam.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Scald's most important function is fishing for burns, which lets Seismitoad not be entry hazard stack fodder for Skarmory and Ferrothorn, since both of them they hate being burned on the switch. Scald also lets Seismitoad pressure Excadrill, Landorus-T, and non-specially defensive Gliscor. (water move hits ground-types, woop de doo) Refresh is what makes Seismitoad so valuable, since it negates status from Toxic, Toxic Spikes, and Will-O-Wisp, allowing negating Toxic, Toxic Spikes, and Will-O-Wisp allows Seismitoad to neutralize bulky Water-types like Rotom-W, Politoed, Tentacruel, Milotic, and defensive Starmie. The primary use of Protect is to stack Leftovers recovery and sand damage, but it also lets Seismitoad scout Choice-locked Pokemon like Latios, Tyranitar, and Garchomp. Stealth Rock is an amazing option, as Seismitoad can pressure all metagame spinners with the combination of Scald + Refresh and also free up the a moveslot for its teammates. Alternatively, Knock Off can be used to make progress by removing items, making foes like Ferrothorn, Refresh Politoed, and opposing Seismitoad unable to regain health with Leftovers. Lastly, Earthquake can be used to damage other Water-types—especially Keldeo, break Kyurem's Substitute, OHKO Heatran if it's not maximum HP, and damage Toxicroak. However, it lacks any other important targets, since Seismitoad has mediocre offensive stats, and forces it to run a Relaxed nature. Toxic can also be used in the last moveslot to have a way to deal with other Water-immune Pokemon, like Gastrodon and Jellicent, and to not be overly dependent on Scald burns to make progress. Dropping Protect for another support move is possible but never recommended, since losing the stability it provides alongside Leftovers hurts Seismitoad a lot in the long run.

Set Details
========
28 Speed EVs are used to outspeed standard specially defensive Heatran. 248 HP and 232 Defense EVs with a Bold nature prevent Seismitoad from being 2HKOed by Jolly Sand Force Excadrill's Earthquake after Protect. If running Earthquake, use an optimized spread of 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD with a Relaxed nature.

Usage Tips
========
Do not waste any opportunity to bring Seismitoad safely to the field, since almost every team has a bulky Water-type. Spam Scald against Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Jirachi, and Tentacruel, as burns are the main way for Seismitoad to threaten them. Use Refresh as soon as Seismitoad gets inflicted with status so to not waste any HP. Do not let common Substitute users go unpunished, as Seismitoad attracts them, oftentimes being unable to break the Substitute of Pokemon like Breloom and Keldeo. Going for a Scald to burn the foe or outright switching to achieve an advantageous position is best in these scenarios. Play smart with Protect so to not be too predictable with it. Avoid using Protect too predictably. If using Stealth Rock, bring Seismitoad in as soon as possible to set it up. If using Knock Off, do not be afraid to predict switches, since its best targets in Ferrothorn, Latios, Jellicent, and Reuniclus love to switch in front of into Seismitoad. Even if Seismitoad shares Gastrodon's typing and Water immunity, it is played very differently because of Refresh, which lets Seismitoad sponge status. Take advantage of Refresh and Stealth Rock or Knock Off, since, without these moves, Gastrodon surpasses Seismitoad thanks to its better bulk, Recover, wider array of offensive options, and Clear Smog. Refresh, Stealth Rock, and Knock Off are Seismitoad's advantages over Gastrodon, so it should use them to their fullest.

Team Options
========
Since Seismitoad loves the chip damage sand provides, Tyranitar is one of its best partners, and it also helps Pursuit traps problematic Psychic-types like Latios and Reuniclus. Pokemon that can deal with Ferrothorn like Heatran, Breloom, Magnezone, and Xatu are a must, since Ferrothorn can use Seismitoad as entry hazard fodder. Xatu especially is an amazing partner for an anti-metagame combo core, shutting down entry hazard stacking and helping Seismitoad back with Reflect support. Magnezone too is amazing, since it invalidates any free switch in that Ferrothorn or Skarmory tries to grab versus Seismitoad. Because Seismitoad is a bit passive, it loves having Spikes support from Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Offensive Pokemon that can benefit from Seismitoad's ability to nullify Rotom-W like Excadrill, Mamoswine, and Garchomp are also amazing partners. Pokemon that have ways to deal with Reuniclus like Latios, Scizor, Encore Alakazam, and Nasty Plot Celebi are needed on the team. Bulky Flying-types like Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Skarmory can help deal with Adamant Excadrill. Seismitoad can be used in rain structures to neuter Rotom-W, a Pokemon that which is normally a nightmare for rain teams. In those, partners like Gyarados, Tentacruel, Scizor, Breloom, Latios, Latias, and Jirachi are good options.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Earth Power is similar to Earthquake and doesn't require a Speed-reducing nature, but it has a little less power, which can be an issue when facing against Substitute Kyurem or Calm Mind Keldeo. Ice Beam and (i don't blame you, but seis is one of the few waters to NOT have ice beam) Ice Punch are options is an option to not be setup fodder for Dragonite, Garchomp, and specially defensive Gliscor, and to deal some damage to Breloom, Celebi, and Amoonguss, but a valuable moveslot is used for it, and Seismitoad isn't OHKOing the Dragon- and Flying-types or 2HKOing the Grass-types anyway. Rest is your only option for recovery and can be used over Refresh, but Seismitoad will never have an opportunity to wake up, so Heal Bell or Aromatherapy support is needed with it. Gastro Acid is a surprise option that has potential, since it nullifies Breloom and Gliscor's Poison Heal, Reuniclus's Magic Guard, and the Water immunities of Gastrodon, Jellicent, and opposing Seismitoad, but it is difficult to find a moveslot for it. A specially defensive or mixed defensive set is also possible to better handle hits from Alakazam, Thundurus-T, and offensive Starmie, but most of the time Seismitoad will usually be taking strong physical hits, so having more Defense is normally ideal.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Water-immune Pokemon**: Storm Drain Gastrodon is immune to Scald because of Storm Drain, can use Recover to outstall outlast Seismitoad, and can defeat it with Ice Beam, Earth Power, or Earthquake. Jellicent can heal HP with Water Absorb, burn Seismitoad with Will-O-Wisp, deal significant damage with Night Shade, and shut it down with Taunt. Opposing Seismitoad can outstall beat your Seismitoad if they have Knock Off or Earthquake, or the rarer Ice Beam or Gastro Acid, and yours doesn't. Toxicroak can set up a Swords Dance or Substitute versus any Seismitoad that doesn't have Ground-type coverage. Defensive Starmie can use Rapid Spin versus against Seismitoad forever if it lacks Toxic and can also threaten it away with Psychic, Psyshock, or Ice Beam.

**Setup Sweepers**: Reuniclus can use Seismitoad to set up Calm Mind or Trick Room with no penalty outside of the uncommon Knock Off. Latias and Keldeo both can easily set up Calm Mind or Substitute versus Seismitoad. With maximum Special Defense investment, Gliscor takes little damage from Scald and can use Seismitoad to set up Swords Dance or remove its item with Knock Off. Dragonite with Substitute and Dragon Dance can freely set up versus any variation of Seismitoad, since even Ice Beam Punch does mediocre damage to it.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Powerful special attackers like Alakazam, Latios, and Hydreigon threaten a 2HKO with their STAB moves. Thundurus-T and Tornadus threaten an OHKO with Grass Knot but they don't want to enter directly switch into a Scald. Kyurem can use Seismitoad to safely set up Substitute and then punish it with its STAB moves. Keldeo can OHKO Seismitoad with Hidden Power Grass or deal great damage with Secret Sword boosted by Choice Specs or a Fighting Gem. Heatran can grab a surprise KO with Hidden Power Grass or Sunny Day + SolarBeam.

[CREDITS]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)